Salary Cap: 2014/2015 New York Rangers roster & salary cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Lundqvist is beginning a 7 year extension this coming season. He has more than next season and another year left. He better have more than two years left or the Rangers are screwed. The Rangers need to continue building the team. LA added Toffolli and Pearson to their team. They won the Cup in 12 and lost to the Hawks in 5 in the WCF last season. Too many fans are afraid to give young players a chance because the Rangers are now team.

Speaking the truth.
The perception of being a win now team is stopping some from constructive adding of the horses we need.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
In a discussion about relative cost and roster building, Klein might be a better option. He also should be even better after going through a full training camp with the group. In Nashville, he was more physical than he was here. I think he just wanted to keep things simpler because the Rangers system is pretty difficult for defensemen to play. It should be interesting to see what he's like as he grows more comfortable.

I guess we have to wonder is something like Klein + ROR + maybe someone we would lose (like a boyle, or pouilot) a better value than Stralman and Staal but with no upgrade at center.. I think center is a vital position that needs to be upgraded.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think it also raises eyebrows when Buff's current team thought he'd be better on the wing. As far as knowing how to win the Cup, he seems to have forgotten that in Winnipeg and there's no guarantee that he remembers in NYC.

That said, sign me up for E. Kane, Byfuglien for Nash and Staal.

Me too; unfortunately, that's wishful thinking.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Speaking the truth.
The perception of being a win now team is stopping some from constructive adding of the horses we need.

That's why I like ROR.. he's 22.. he becomes part of the core. something Thornton, Spezza, Mike Richards etc doesn't do.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
If we move Stepan, (particularly in a deal which moves Nash's contract and nets us Seth Jones)

Why in God's name would we move Stepan and Nash in a deal and why would Nashville even consider moving Seth Jones for anything.

I wonder, do you make up stuff out of fantasy or do you consider these things realistic? Because this isn't realistic at all.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Also, I'm not sure what it takes but getting big Buff in NY would add a PP QB, top4 D man and a guy who knows what it takes to win a 'Cup. That's a good move. Guy can skate and hit too. All around he would make this team instantly better.

Don't view Buff as a PPQB.

I view him as more of a shooter, than a QB

BarbaraAlphanse

Rust, interesting. I had Kreider at 2.5, Pouliot at 2, Brass at 4.2, MZA at 4.5, D Moore at 1.6, and J Moore at 1.7.

I'm looking at Kreider getting Hagelin's bridge. Same hit.

Looking at them allowing Poo to walk. If Brass is signed long term, 4.2 seems pretty reasonable. I think they'll defer a decision on him for a year while hoping that JT earns a spot for a cheaper cap hit.

MZA at 4.5 isn't far off, but a longer contract would likely lower the cap hit. His agent went on an interview and referenced Marchand's AAV as what he thinks is fair value. That's his starting point. He'll likely come down a little to between 4 and 4.5. I think Marchand's contract was 4.5/4. Locking MZA for 5 would naturally lower that AAV for security. MZA is also a very interesting and unique player when discussing contract/affinity for NY. He's had opportunities to sign with other clubs that could offer him more money, a better position to succeed and play (before he landed a top 6 role this year), and longer contract terms. He chose to sign extremely cap friendly contracts to play specifically with the Rangers. He seems like a player who values loyalty and stability over greed.

Boyle I can genuinely see a team overpaying for. Lowballing him would likely offend him and discontinue contracts. Again, more years means lower cap hit. 4 years could hopefully get him down to take a contract with an AAV of 2.7-3. He's the guy on the 4th line that is impossible to replace. He's the guy you need to focus on.

I think Lindberg and D. Moore are interchangeable. Lindberg won SEL player of the year. He's not talked about as a risk to not make an NHL club, he's talked about only ever attaining dominance to maybe center a 3rd line or be a very dominant 4th line player - i.e Moore's role. That's a place you can cut salary on.

Stralman was being offered 3 mill and nearly accepted from reports. He took a risk on himself and it paid off. Had he gotten injured that offer could have been reduced from a number of teams. Like Mats, I think Stralman has been a good soldier who has taken a discount to play here in the past. Look at how affordable his contract is right now. Add more years, reduce the cap hit. He's 27? 5 year deal @ 4 mill is quite a bargain.

Plenty of room to get the players that you need + even entertain a Staal for _____ move. _____ could be ROR, Thornton/Spezza:)shakehead:rant::help:), or someone else with a slightly higher cap hit. Adding Dorsett in addition provides even more of a cap cushion. I don't think it'll be as hard as it's being made to seem. It looks like the media is taking a stance on completely lowering our expectations so that when the team is able to make several moves, we'll look at them in a much more positive light. Right now, Rangers and media have a very favorable relationship.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
so Kreider is worth Stamkos, but you'll trade Girardi and 7 other assets for the #1 pick

Kreider +, I believe I said.

And yes, you have to overpay for that pick.
It rejuventates Girardi losing all his wear and tear and adds a serious shot for PP.
Yes I do the 2 other assets of Hagelin and Buchnevich for Girardi + FL 2015 2nd.

krieder4life

Feb 21, 2014
i don't understand all the love for RoR ?

Ok he broke into the league 5 years ago at age 18

in his first 5 years he's
year 1 26 pts 18 yr old
year 2 26 pts 19 yr old
year 3 55 pts 20 yr old
year 4 20 pts 21 yr old in ( short season)
year 5 64 pts 22 yr old ( playing with the likes of Duchene , Landeskong , Mackinnon and stastny )

On our roster we don't have the forward depth like the avs have. I see him as Stepan.2

This is what my roster would look like:
1-Buy out richards
2-Re sign (Kreider , zuc ,brass ,pouliot, moore and j moore )
3-Trade for Thornton ( we need size down the middle 6'4 220 , has had success with nash )
4-Sign Mason Raymond
5-Let the kids play (JT, Lindberg and MacIlrath )

Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Joe Thornton ($6.750m) / Chris Kreider ($2.250m)
Mason Raymond ($2.700m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.800m) / Derick Brassard ($4.000m) / Mats Zuccarello ($4.000m)
J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Dominic Moore ($1.300m) / Oscar Lindberg ($0.675m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Girardi ($5.500m) / Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
John Moore ($1.500m) / Dylan McIlrath ($0.703m)
Justin Falk ($1.024m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,058,750; BONUSES: $1,026,667
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $41,250

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
NYR should try to trade Stralman's rights to the Oilers if they don't plan on re-signing him. A 4th is better than nothing.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Why in God's name would we move Stepan and Nash in a deal and why would Nashville even consider moving Seth Jones for anything.

I wonder, do you make up stuff out of fantasy or do you consider these things realistic? Because this isn't realistic at all.

Back in another thread I asked would:

Stepan + Staal + Nash + rights to Stralman
be enough
for
Seth Jones + cap balance (including reasonable amount of deadwood)?

The reply by predhabs was:
Bernmeister you are always trying to get Seth Jones, I for one would have to think about this deal long and hard mainly because I like Stepan.

I don't consider that reply the indication of an "unrealistic" proposal.
Don't be ad hominum negative.

Please provide a substantive basis for your critique. Thanks.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think the questions that needs to be answered are:

Do we trust the system?

Do we trust the youth in the Org.

How do we get better?

If the answer to the first 2 questions are Yes, then we need to allow the UFA's to walk incorporate Miller, Fast, Lindberg, Allen, McIlrath into the team and use the differential in salaries saved on improving the team.

I'm not sweating the losses of Moore, Pouliot, Boyle and Stralman.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I know he's a former CBJ, and we have plenty of those, but if we move Staal, I take a serious look at Nikita Nikitin. It'd be a downgrade from Staal, but he's a legitimate 2nd pair guy.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
This is such a great photo.

rangers7.jpg

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Back in another thread I asked would:

Stepan + Staal + Nash + rights to Stralman
be enough
for
Seth Jones + cap balance (including reasonable amount of deadwood)?

The reply by predhabs was:

I don't consider that reply the indication of an "unrealistic" proposal.
Don't be ad hominum negative.

Please provide a substantive basis for your critique. Thanks.

First off, that's a huge overpayment on our part.

Second of all, on the contrast, that's not enticing enough to get Seth Jones from Nashville.

Seth Jones is on a small market team making $925,000 and has been billed by the Predators as a core piece to the fans. They are not going to trade him for anybody. He's not going anywhere at all. That's my point.

You want to trade 3 pieces from a team that went to the SCF for a 19 year old on an ELC TO a small market team with 0 incentive to trade their top, young, cost controlled defenseman.

That type of proposal didn't warrant a substantive critique. It's just laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad