Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
And I think this is where the fundamental different lies between you and alot of other posters (myself included)

We are at a point where (2 CF appearances in last three years, one finals appearance as well) we should be taking our shots at a cup. Of course not at the expense of stipping the future in the way that Neil Smith did during the post Cup years in 93-94

But you don't go backwards and strip the team of talented players today, that can win today just to build in perpetuity.

The idea behind building something is that you have an end product in mind with contstant tweaking, I'll say it again, constant TWEAKING. Not trading your top line center in Stepan because you believe that Hayes MAY COULD fill the role. And moving Girardi and bringing in some kid that hasn't made an impact on any team he has been on, has been traded thrice (Rundblad) and expect him to munch the same kind of minutes.

The deals you propose, almost always, are followed by the need to make additional deals.

You have no end game in sight.

It's pretty clear that the FO has settled on the following forwards as the core moving forward.

Stepan, Nash, MSL, Kreider, Brassard and Zuccs. I do not expect ANY of them to be sent packing any time soon.

On Defence, McD, Girardi are the guys that have been given long term commitments by the GM. They ARE part of the equation ON THE ICE.

Hank is a no brainer.

You want to have fun with the rest of the roster, by all means have at it. Making moves regarding the remaining assets would be tweaking the roster. Until Duke and Butch make their case to be included in that core, they are interchangable assuming profit no coke for pepsi (like what I did there?)

There is no final end!
It is and remains ever an ongoing process, even when you've won the Cup, you have to prepare to defend the following season +.

Don't think of it as a snapshot.
Think of it as a video.

PS like what you did at the end:D

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Nash - Brassard - Zuccarello
Duclair - Stepan - St. Louis
Kreider - Hayes - Stempniak
Hagelin - Moore - Glass

Probably? No?

I like those lines a lot. I would definitely try Duclair with Stepan if the Nash-Brass-Zucc line continues to play well. Stepan can help cover for Duke's defensive awareness as he learns to compete at the NHL level.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The MSL trade is a sunk cost. They're not going to get back the assets they gave up for him. I feel it's better to sign a player for what they'll expect to be during that contract duration, rather than signing just for the sake of making a trade look better in our favour. 2 yrs of MSL in playoff runs was worth the trade imo.

Underline is proving my point.
If we had a more proactive approach to sign vets, then flip, we would not have had Cally back us into a corner with a crazy number at the last minute.

Bold, disagree, but there is a huge X factor that could reverse this.
When Stamkos contract is up soon, Whether or not MSL stays and plays one more year, if can do the priceless help of pitching us to SS resulting in him coming here, then the deal will be worth it.

AHB*

Underline is proving my point.
If we had a more proactive approach to sign vets, then flip, we would not have had Cally back us into a corner with a crazy number at the last minute.

Bold, disagree, but there is a huge X factor that could reverse this.
When Stamkos contract is up soon, Whether or not MSL stays and plays one more year, if can do the priceless help of pitching us to SS resulting in him coming here, then the deal will be worth it.

Stamkos is not coming here.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Kreider - Stepan - St. Louis
Zuccarello - Brassard - Nash
Duclair - Hayes - Stempniak
Hagelin - D. Moore - Mueller

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hagelin's 2.25 mil contract fits better into our structure than Semin's 4yr. $7 mil per contract even if it's reduced to $4.9 mil per. Hagelin is a very underrated player. He scores enough where you can't take him for granted. He's a really, really good defensive player and his speed and overall skating whether backwards or laterally is about as good as it gets. He's also a pretty smart player and a hard worker. I've never gotten the work ethic thing from Semin. He can be lackadaisical defensively IMO--not a guy you put out on the penalty kill. There are entire games he doesn't make an appearance--at least not in a good way.

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012
Hagelin's 2.25 mil contract fits better into our structure than Semin's 4yr. $7 mil per contract even if it's reduced to $4.9 mil per. Hagelin is a very underrated player. He scores enough where you can't take him for granted. He's a really, really good defensive player and his speed and overall skating whether backwards or laterally is about as good as it gets. He's also a pretty smart player and a hard worker. I've never gotten the work ethic thing from Semin. He can be lackadaisical defensively IMO--not a guy you put out on the penalty kill. There are entire games he doesn't make an appearance--at least not in a good way.

This fan base appreciates what he does, but people ignore the fact that you need players who do what he does rather than everyone to be pure snipers. He also doesn't have the big name appeal

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
This is a ridiculous myth. He's actually very good defensively.

I didn't say he was bad defensively, I said he's a lazy-ass. He is.

Carolina GM Rutherford:

"He came off a great year, and we are all very disappointed with his production at this time. He's a guy who is paid to score goals and put up points, and he hasn't done that. He's trying to play an east-west game when the rest of the team is playing a north-south game, and he needs to get his act going pretty soon... I do think it's the focus and the will to do well. The same will to do well that he had in his contract year. He is probably the most skilled player on this team, and when he wants to play, he can do it. He needs to start."

Teammate Matt Bradley (Caps):

In the summer of 2011, former Capital Matt Bradley publicly questioned Semin’s drive and said that the Russian winger “just doesn’t care†during a radio interview.

Teammate Brouwer (Caps):

When asked if Semin’s unpredictable play and inconsistency was frustrating as a teammate, Brouwer went even further.

“Some nights you didn’t even know if he was gonna come to the rink,†Brouwer said. “It’s tough to play alongside guys like those because you don’t know what you’re gonna get out of ‘em.â€

Russian Olympic Coach Bilyaletdinov:

Carolina Hurricanes forward Alexander Semin didn’t make into the Olympic roster because his performances this season simply weren't good enough, Zinetula Bilyaletdinov said Wednesday.

“We knew that this decision will surprise a lot of people,†Bilyaletdinov said. “But we watched a lot of games. I saw him several times. We came to the opinion that for now he doesn’t make it onto the roster. He didn’t play as we expected, that’s why we made this decision.â€

Chesnokov (probably the most respected Russian source/writer on Twitter):

"Alexander Semin may be one of the biggest free agents available this summer. Enigmatic, no heart, lazy, enigmatic again … but he's also in the prime of his career."

And on and on and on. Teammates, coaches, GM's, hockey writers, etc...

I'll agree that when Semin wants to play he's a world class player that can score, play defensively, and make his line better no matter who he's playing with. He just doesn't do that enough for my tastes.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
The bad part is he wanted 3-3.5 at the start of the year from us, just some security in terms of years.

Rangers offered him 4 x 4 which I thought was a fair deal.

Tampa offered 4.5 x 5

I don't think anyone out there offered more than that. Don't know why some of you look back and think the Rangers should've offered 5.5 when the highest/best out there was 4.5.

I also think this is part of "NYR syndrome" where a player thinks that because it's the Rangers the Rangers should pay more than market value.

Look at Callahan. He wanted 7.5+/7 years/NTC from the Rangers and settles for 5.8/6/NTC for 4 years. That's a substantial difference (52.5M, 1 additional year vs. 34.8M). Stralman probably did the same thing and the Rangers balked.

Let's keep in mind that Stralman really, really found his game last year but that's a big variable to throw a five year deal at for, likely, 5+ million.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
He would've signed for 5.5 then, no? No need to sign Glass at that point. The Rangers easily could've fit Stralman on their team, they just mistakenly chose not to.

No. Keep in mind that Glass was more than likely an AV call, not a Sather one. Glass was coming here because this coach wanted him here. I don't think it was a Sather move.

And, no again. Highest/best out there for Stralman was 4.5 x 5 and the Rangers offered 4 x 4. Likely that Stralman asked the Rangers for 5+ for 5 years and the Rangers balked. Considering their cap issues, I don't really blame them. You can see how thin the depth is right now as it is - and that's with Zucarello doing the right thing for the team. Again.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
No. Keep in mind that Glass was more than likely an AV call, not a Sather one. Glass was coming here because this coach wanted him here. I don't think it was a Sather move.

And, no again. Highest/best out there for Stralman was 4.5 x 5 and the Rangers offered 4 x 4. Likely that Stralman asked the Rangers for 5+ for 5 years and the Rangers balked. Considering their cap issues, I don't really blame them. You can see how thin the depth is right now as it is - and that's with Zucarello doing the right thing for the team. Again.

If AV wanted to sign Glass instead of give the money to Stralman, then he's a moron.

I don't think Stralsy was coming back because apparently his wife hated NY? (is that a thing or did I just read that here and internalize it? IDK.) Either way, not resigning Stralman and going for Boyle/Glass was clearly a mistake.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
If AV wanted to sign Glass instead of give the money to Stralman, then he's a moron.

A moron that's been to the Final twice.

I don't think Stralsy was coming back because apparently his wife hated NY? (is that a thing or did I just read that here and internalize it? IDK.) Either way, not resigning Stralman and going for Boyle/Glass was clearly a mistake.

Too early to make that call. We haven't seen what we're going to get from Boyle (or Glass for that matter) yet. Keep in mind that Boyle was offered more from multiple teams and chose to play here. There's a reason he was offered more money - the guy can still play and he's the first real PP QB we've had here since...who... Leetch?

Jury's out until we have at least 20-30 games with Boyle on the back end.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
We haven't seen Boyle play yet and adjust to AV's system. Can we back away from the ledge? Yea I miss Stralman too but its not like our team revolved around him.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
We haven't seen Boyle play yet and adjust to AV's system. Can we back away from the ledge? Yea I miss Stralman too but its not like our team revolved around him.

again, He and Klein are nearly the same defenseman...

There's a reason management let him walk.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
again, He and Klein are nearly the same defenseman...

There's a reason management let him walk.

The upgrade in that top 4 role's only played a period of hockey this year. Folks are going to clamor for Stralman until they see what Boyle can do for this team.

Stralman is a good player, no doubt, but the Rangers desperately needed a top 4 RH offensive defenseman for years and now they have one. He just has to get healthy.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Eliotte Friedman just reported that Rangers are interested in Sekera...

Totally understandable, question is what goes the other way?

I hope they can re-sign him, but I'd go JMoore plus one of the 2nd round picks.

If they want kids I'd pony up Lindberg.

When healthy:

MCD-G
Staal-Boyle
Sekera-Klein

Stacked.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

When healthy:

MCD-G
Staal-Boyle
Sekera-Klein

Stacked.

Does that work cap wise?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Does that work cap wise?

Yes, Sekera is a 2.75 hit, the Rangers got 7.5M of relief with the Stepan and boyle injuries... Could easily fit him in at the deadline up even a lot sooner than that given the team sends out Kostka.

They have 2.79 worth of space until the end of the season, JMoore and Kostka should relieve another mil or so.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC

When healthy:

MCD-G
Staal-Boyle
Sekera-Klein

Stacked.

He'd be the second best dman on the roster so it'd be wasteful to play him on the bottom pairing.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
MSL is a sunk cost. He can't be re-signed at this point.

He had a good playoff run but his regular season track record with the NYR is awful. Looks like a typical faded star.

They cannot let Hagelin, Zucc, or even Staal walk to prioritize MSL. If he will sign for $2-3M, that's another story.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'd hope MSL would give us a huge discount..
he's really been mostly terrible this season, but i'll give him a pass...playing a HOF RWer up the middle because of JT Miller laying an egg....kinda tough to blame him for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad