Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Letpairing thing-pairing caliber defenseman walk because we had to overpay a declining middle-pairing defenseman is a potentially franchise-crippling move. Not only is our defense average at best, even when fully healthy, but our cap situation for the upcoming seasons looks dire.

When I wanted to give Strålman a 4 year $12M extension in the 2013 offseason everyone called it an overpayment. We could've gotten him for as little as $3.5M/year even in Jan/Feb of 2014. With the going-rates of UFA defensemen at the moment I'd say Strålman still would be a steal at $5M/year.

The Girardi/Strålman/Boyle/Klein situation is a MAJOR ****up from Sather that shouldn't just be shrugged off.

Bit early calling Stralsy a 1st pairing D-man. Lets see if he can keep it up an entire season. Last season we had people on here questioning if he was a legit top-4.

Definitely a mistake in letting him go.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Bit early calling Stralsy a 1st pairing D-man. Lets see if he can keep it up an entire season. Last season we had people on here questioning if he was a legit top-4.

Definitely a mistake in letting him go.

We also had people on here wanting to dump Rick Nash for free.

We need to go all-in on trading Staal to Carolina for Andrej Sekera.

All. In.

I'm hoping Carolina falls into the demands of re-uniting the Staal brothers and overpay for Staal. Sekera makes the team a lot better than what Staal brings at this point.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
A bold trade suggestion:

Semin was a healthy scratch by the Canes. I think they'd retain salary to move him.

to :rangers
Sekera -> 2.75 mil
Semin (30% retained) -> 4.9 mil

to :canes
Staal -> 3.975mil
Miller -> 0.9mil
Hagelin -> 2.25 mil

MSL-Hayes-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Semin
Duclair-Brassard-Zuccarello
Malone-Moore-Stempniak
Glass

McDonagh-Girardi
Sekera-Boyle
Moore/Hunwick-Klein

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A bold trade suggestion:

Semin was a healthy scratch by the Canes. I think they'd retain salary to move him.

Sekera -> 2.75 mil

Staal -> 3.975mil
Miller -> 0.9mil
Hagelin -> 2.25 mil

MSL-Hayes-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Semin
Malone-Moore-Stempniak
Glass

McDonagh-Girardi
Sekera-Boyle
Moore/Hunwick-Klein

A little too much. I'd take either Miller or Hagelin out of the equation. Maybe throw them a choice of one between Lindberg, Fast, McIlrath if Hagelin comes out and Kristo if Miller comes out.

Another question--would Carolina be picking up that 30% over the term of Semin's contract because it's a 4 year $7 mil per year contract and IMO he's not worth it. His consistency over the years has not been great.

Personally I wouldn't mind getting Sekera at all but I've never cared for Semin all that much. If it were me I'd just go after Sekera and leave it at that.

hockey365

Apr 6, 2012
North of MTL
A little too much. I'd take either Miller or Hagelin out of the equation. Maybe throw them a choice of one between Lindberg, Fast, McIlrath if Hagelin comes out and Kristo if Miller comes out.

Another question--would Carolina be picking up that 30% over the term of Semin's contract because it's a 4 year $7 mil per year contract and IMO he's not worth it. His consistency over the years has not been great.

Personally I wouldn't mind getting Sekera at all but I've never cared for Semin all that much. If it were me I'd just go after Sekera and leave it at that.

I agree, why Semin??? He's not worth the trade, plus you'll get Buch next year... He's a LW, I know, but you can move Dukes on the RW.... He's been playing there all of last yr. In the mean time, you have enough players right now to fill that gap.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Kreider - Stepan - MSL
Nash - Brassard - Zucc
Duclair - Moore - Hagelin
Malone/Glass - Hayes - Stempniak

Is what I think we will be seeeing when all are healthy

See no space for Fast, Miller, Haggerty, Hrivik, Lindberg or Kristo this year (pending injuries) on a regular basis this season.
hence, some of these younger pipeline players (along with Buchnevich I fear) will likely be trade bait come The Trade deadline when Sather goes all in. Watch and cringe

Staal and John Moore are two question marks as well

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think Buch has actually been playing RW this year, which makes Semin even more unnecessary. Besides, we're loaded down the wings, and I'd rather see them try to upgrade the defense a tad to add a little more offense. I think the center depth should be fine, but it'll be tough to gauge until Stepan is playing back to his normal level. Here's to hoping Step doesn't start slow this year.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I agree, why Semin??? He's not worth the trade, plus you'll get Buch next year... He's a LW, I know, but you can move Dukes on the RW.... He's been playing there all of last yr. In the mean time, you have enough players right now to fill that gap.

There is no need to re-sign MSL if they get Semin.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
A bold trade suggestion:

Sekera -> 2.75 mil

Staal -> 3.975mil
Miller -> 0.9mil
Hagelin -> 2.25 mil

MSL-Hayes-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Semin
Malone-Moore-Stempniak
Glass

McDonagh-Girardi
Sekera-Boyle
Moore/Hunwick-Klein

I want no part of Semin. He wears out his welcome everywhere he goes and is a lazy-ass player. No thanks.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Count me in on the letting Stralman walk/signing G to 6 years and Boyle for 2 as an awful move.

Stralman wouldn't have signed here for 4.5 (NYS/NYC Income tax). That salary, here, is more like G's number (which, frankly, he hasn't earned yet).

Girardi isn't valued by this fan base for some reason. If he's not in the lineup (which almost never happens) it's a big freaking hole back there.

Keeping Stralman, while losing Richards, leaves us with pretty much nothing on the back end for the PP at the point. McD hasn't shown much back there. Who are we putting there - Zooks? Stempniak? It's a constant battle with 4F on the PP.

I liked Stralman but it wasn't a fit at the number(s) he was looking for.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Semin has been extremely unlucky this year. He has the worst on ice sv% on the Hurricanes and a 7.41 on ice sh%, which is FAR below his career averages. Neither are sustainable. Now is pretty much the perfect time to buy low on an elite 2-way winger who has the capacity to score 40.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Stralman wouldn't have signed here for 4.5 (NYS/NYC Income tax). That salary, here, is more like G's number (which, frankly, he hasn't earned yet).

Girardi isn't valued by this fan base for some reason. If he's not in the lineup (which almost never happens) it's a big freaking hole back there.

Keeping Stralman, while losing Richards, leaves us with pretty much nothing on the back end for the PP at the point. McD hasn't shown much back there. Who are we putting there - Zooks? Stempniak? It's a constant battle with 4F on the PP.

I liked Stralman but it wasn't a fit at the number(s) he was looking for.

A potential marginal upgrade in pp% is not worth the significant downgrade at ES possession, which is what the Stralman-Boyle swap was. Hell, we don't even know if the PP will perform better with Boyle as of yet.

Count me in as well as this being one of the worst moves the Rangers have made the past decade.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Semin has been extremely unlucky this year. He has the worst on ice sv% on the Hurricanes and a 7.41 on ice sh%, which is FAR below his career averages. Neither are sustainable. Now is pretty much the perfect time to buy low on an elite 2-way winger who has the capacity to score 40.

He is? Maybe I've caught some of his bad games but he floats alot and looks disinterested defensively.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
A potential marginal upgrade in pp% is not worth the significant downgrade at ES possession, which is what the Stralman-Boyle swap was. Hell, we don't even know if the PP will perform better with Boyle as of yet.

Count me in as well as this being one of the worst moves the Rangers have made the past decade.

Boyle is not a "marginal upgrade" on the PP. It's a major upgrade.

And, again, Stralman wouldn't have signed here for the 4.8 he signed for in Tampa for 4 years. It's a moot point because the Rangers couldn't have made it happen. Boyle is probably a million cheaper over 3 less years. Stralman would've commanded 5.5+ factoring in NYS taxes. That's why he's not here, not because the Rangers didn't want him. They couldn't afford him. The D is weaker at ES, no question about it.

As far as the "past decade" goes, I think you've got a pretty short memory there... (Redden, Gomez, Drury, etc...)

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC

And, again, Stralman wouldn't have signed here for the 4.8 he signed for in Tampa for 4 years. It's a moot point because the Rangers couldn't have made it happen. Boyle is probably a million cheaper over 3 less years. Stralman would've commanded 5.5+ factoring in NYS taxes. That's why he's not here, not because the Rangers didn't want him. They couldn't afford him. The D is weaker at ES, no question about it.

As far as the "past decade" goes, I think you've got a pretty short memory there... (Redden, Gomez, Drury, etc...)

The bad part is he wanted 3-3.5 at the start of the year from us, just some security in terms of years.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Even at 39, I still take Marty every single day over Semin.

I think MSL is finally showing signs that he is indeed a mortal. He has been so good in his 30's, but he's slowing down. I badly wanted the Callahan-MSL swap to happen. But I think the Rangers still made a great deal as they get MSL for two playoff runs.

He is? Maybe I've caught some of his bad games but he floats alot and looks disinterested defensively.

He has been one of the better possession wingers in the league.

And, again, Stralman wouldn't have signed here for the 4.8 he signed for in Tampa for 4 years.
It's a moot point because the Rangers couldn't have made it happen. Boyle is probably a million cheaper over 3 less years. Stralman would've commanded 5.5+ factoring in NYS taxes. That's why he's not here, not because the Rangers didn't want him. They couldn't afford him. The D is weaker at ES, no question about it.

He would've signed for 5.5 then, no? No need to sign Glass at that point. The Rangers easily could've fit Stralman on their team, they just mistakenly chose not to.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
We're going to re-sign MSL. This shouldn't even be a question. Look what Sathed gave up for him, he's not going to let him walk.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
A bold trade suggestion:

Sekera -> 2.75 mil

Staal -> 3.975mil
Miller -> 0.9mil
Hagelin -> 2.25 mil

MSL-Hayes-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Semin
Malone-Moore-Stempniak
Glass

McDonagh-Girardi
Sekera-Boyle
Moore/Hunwick-Klein

I don't hate this deal at all, just find it a little unnecessary to give up assets for Semin, when RW is already our strength. Not to mention we have a very similar player in Buchnevich who's more than likely to join the team next year.

hockey365

Apr 6, 2012
North of MTL
We're going to re-sign MSL. This shouldn't even be a question. Look what Sathed gave up for him, he's not going to let him walk.

I agree, the Rangers will re-sign MSL, to a 1 yr deal, similar to Jagr's. base + incentives... He'll be an official 3rd line RW and still produce 50+ points next season.... Hence, providing another yr of development to the kids.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Semin and leadership do not go together. 4 years at even $4.9 mil (Carolina taking that 30%) even seems a bit much. I'd rather have the older MSL as well--and MSL will probably not be signed for more than 2 years. There's more flexibility there. And MSL is a leader.

I'd be more than okay exploring the availability of Sekera. He's a consistently good (not great) defenseman. You pretty much know what you're going to get and it's a quality player.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
The MSL trade is a sunk cost. They're not going to get back the assets they gave up for him. I feel it's better to sign a player for what they'll expect to be during that contract duration, rather than signing just for the sake of making a trade look better in our favour. 2 yrs of MSL in playoff runs was worth the trade imo.

I don't hate this deal at all, just find it a little unnecessary to give up assets for Semin, when RW is already our strength. Not to mention we have a very similar player in Buchnevich who's more than likely to join the team next year.

I too would prefer to give up those players in the trade for a better C, but the market for good 2nd line Centers is going to gut part of the team no matter what.

I feel this trade adds more scoring ability without the cost of defensive play (Semin an upgrade over Hagelin) and a defender more adept for AV's system. Losing Miller would suck, but he isn't part of the roster anytime. And Buchvenich may or may not be ready by next year, who knows. If he is good enough to make the team, he'll find a way.

Last edited:

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
Nash - Brassard - Zuccarello
Duclair - Stepan - St. Louis
Kreider - Hayes - Stempniak
Hagelin - Moore - Glass

Probably? No?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He does make some good points, and he's definitely very creative, but the unyielding stubbornness in admitting he's wrong sometimes is outstanding.

Thanks for the otherwise kind comments.

As to the bold, let us remember that most of all discussions at the Boards are subjective, not objective in nature.

Usually boils down to opinion, so usually there is no definitive wrong to admit by you or me or anyone else.

If someone wants to push it, we can say that based on certain arguments it would arguably be more desirable to take less risk and deal from strength, paying for rental players from a surplus that existed because of an active policy of flipping and building higher and higher potential quality (which led to increases in actual quality), that such approach would be better than being inactive and just overpaying for the same rentals (due to lack of more currency).

That argument was on the floor. I went one way, and cited the Hawks as basis to make the point.

We agree to disagree, respectfully, and that is that.

That should cover everything except for when I said Kreider would soon be more valuable to us than Stepan, and some continue to disagree, as is their right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad