2014-2015 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
I actually thought Lehkonen looked pretty good in the WJC? Or at least, he showed more dimensionality than maybe I expected... not the flash or offense that was anticipated, but (granted, I was not watching closely) he seemed to be pretty responsible in defensive and PK situations, and surprised me a bit with his tenacity and hustle instead? :dunno:

Agreed, I really liked his smarts and hustle. Wins the battles everywhere. Finds a way to get that shot away and on target. Big heart in a small frame.

He's not a sniper but will score tons of goals in close and be a strong defensive player.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Lehtinen's numbers were also inflated from playing with Saku in Finland. Lehkonen is more impressive at the same age. As an 18 year old Lekonen led his team in scoring in the Finnish league while Lehtinen didn't even make the mens league until 19. Though Lekonen is the worse 19 year old, the current SEL is about a thousand times better than SM-Liiga of 1993.

These comparison's are almost alway's a fool's errand. It is extremely unlikely that Lehkonen ever becomes as good as Lehtinen was but is still a solid prospect in his own right.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Never a good idea to judge a player on any given tournament, especially the WJC. A lot of guys that dominated this thing went nowhere as pros and loys of kids that had so-so showings became good NHLers.

And I never do. What I'm saying is that he had a dissapointing tournament. That's all. It means so much as to how he'll develop for the future. But just saying that for the future he has to show more offense than what he was showing in his league before he came in and during this tournament. Not saying that since he didn't show it at the WJC, that he'll never show it. I keep bringing the McDonagh example and the Justin Pogge one....And there's tons of that. I remember how much we LOVED Matt Halischuck. Gabriel Bourque looked like we might have totally underestimated his offensive skills etc. etc. etc.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Everett Silvertips scored so naturally Scherbak has a few more points.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Now tied for 5th in scoring in the Dub.

This is the impressive thing:

Leading scorer: Trevor Cox (Medicine Hat).
He has Cole Sanford (3rd) and Dryden Hunt (10th).

2. Nick Merley (Kelowna Rockets)
He has Rourke Chartier (4th) and Tyson Baillie (15th)

5th. Scherbak has Carson Studnyk (40th)

So everyone in front of Scherbak has a teammate in the top 10 of scoring. Scherbak only has one teammate in the top 40. He's also played less games than those ahead or tied with him.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

So everyone in front of Scherbak has a teammate in the top 10 of scoring. Scherbak only has one teammate in the top 40. He's also played less games than those ahead or tied with him.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but Hunt has been a Medicine Hat Tiger for 3 games.;)

Also, both Chartier and Merkley are younger than Scherbak.

With that being said, Nikita is having a heck of a year. It will be rough for him to catch up on the players above him, for the reasons you said. Especially the Rocket players, now that Draisaitl and Morrissey are in Kelowna.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't want to rain on your parade, but Hunt has been a Medicine Hat Tiger for 3 games.;)

Also, both Chartier and Merkley are younger than Scherbak.

With that being said, Nikita is having a heck of a year. It will be rough for him to catch up on the players above him, for the reasons you said. Especially the Rocket players, now that Draisaitl and Morrissey are in Kelowna.

Of course but he's been added and he still has another Medicine Hat Tiger in the top 10 working with him.

My point is that he doesn't have a scoring player with him. If he had a top 20 scorer on his team, I think we would have seen a bigger point total. He is still doing it virtually on his own like he did in Saskatoon.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Of course but he's been added and he still has another Medicine Hat Tiger in the top 10 working with him.

My point is that he doesn't have a scoring player with him. If he had a top 20 scorer on his team, I think we would have seen a bigger point total. He is still doing it virtually on his own like he did in Saskatoon.

It's similar to what he did with the Blades where he was basically a one man army. The Silvertips are a better overall team obviously but the fact that he's able to create his ''own'' offense so to speak is a rare , very encouraging trait. He's getting a lot of primary assist too, for a RW he's a bit like Jagr in the way he's the one distributing the puck. All facets of his game that will be useful in the pros I think :nod: I'm not saying he'll be Jagr-LIKE mind you, just to be sure :P

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

This isnt a random stat too, this is very telling of how productive scherback can really be, 78 points in 60 games as a rookie on the worst team and now this

keep it up scherbs!

Dec 2, 2010
I watch the Tips a bit. He's not on an island like Saskatoon was. He's got good junior linemates and a pretty decent cast on the PP.

Locks

May 28, 2005
Best +/- on his team and 16 pts ahead of next player.

And if we prorate his stats on 41 games to match the rest of his team, the differential will be 25 points! We can only imagine his output had he played on a good team with multiple above ppg players.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
And if we prorate his stats on 41 games to match the rest of his team, the differential will be 25 points! We can only imagine his output had he played on a good team with multiple above ppg players.

He does play on a good team. A good defensive team. I like that he can create on his own. A good quality to have in my view.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watched the Denver game last night, was a heck of a game to my surprise as UNO was really impressive. Didier was on the ice for a goal against where he tried to block the shot but just missed it. Was a nice shot though. Didier's best asset might be his shot blocking so it's too bad he missed that one as they ended up losing in OT after being up 3-0.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watching some of the Lehkonen game today in the CHL playoffs. He's listed on the 4th line but current ice problems have delayed the game. His team is up 2-1 in the 2nd, not sure if they will get the game in or not though.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
No points again for him today, his minutes are shrinking as well :shakehead . I'm really anxious for him to get his production back to what it was at the beginning of the year. Although of course mono is a long thing to get 100% back from and all.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
No points again for him today, his minutes are shrinking as well :shakehead . I'm really anxious for him to get his production back to what it was at the beginning of the year. Although of course mono is a long thing to get 100% back from and all.

he didn't get much ice time today (what a strange game, mass delay due to poor ice). He started off so great with 17 pts in 26 games (SHL + CHL) but since then 1 pt in 20 games (SHL + CHL + WJCs)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
he didn't get much ice time today (what a strange game, mass delay due to poor ice). He started off so great with 17 pts in 26 games (SHL + CHL) but since then 1 pt in 20 games (SHL + CHL + WJCs)

A bout with mono would more than explain such a drop off in production.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Those that follow the OHL...good signing? He seems to have very good stats.

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva · 9m9 minutes ago
Joseph Blandisi signed with the Devils. 3 years / $650 000 (2 way) #tvasports

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
A bout with mono would more than explain such a drop off in production.

never had it so I don't know the impact, guess it wasn't bothering him early in the season when he was among his teams top scorers. If it's effecting his game so much I wonder why they don't give him some time off.

When did Lehkonen have mono?

over the summer I believe.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Those that follow the OHL...good signing? He seems to have very good stats.

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva · 9m9 minutes ago
Joseph Blandisi signed with the Devils. 3 years / $650 000 (2 way) #tvasports

He has really blossomed this year. His first year or two he was a bit of a depth guy who played in spurts. But once given a chance as a vet in Barrie to be a top-line guy he has run with it.

Had a great start to the year and has more or less kept it up. I think Barrie should have insulated him a bit more at the deadline with one of the big forwards who was available (McCarron, Bailey, Ritchie, etc.) but that never happened.

He strikes me as a guy who has the all-around smarts to play in the NHL. Has to avoid some dumb penalties and the odd bout of floater-itis. He is best when he's a buzz saw out there. Comparables are tough, but I always found him a bit like Henrique in terms of impact.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
never had it so I don't know the impact, guess it wasn't bothering him early in the season when he was among his teams top scorers. If it's effecting his game so much I wonder why they don't give him some time off.

over the summer I believe.

My assumption was speculatively based on the distinct possibility that he contracted mono during the course of the season. The severity of mono symptoms very widely from one case to another but they all include fatigue.

The team is definitely grossly irresponsible for allowing him to play with this condition......providing of course that he actually has mono.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad