2014-2015 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...833396-martin-reway-la-famille-avant-tout.php

Reway says at the of the article that he wants to stay in the czech league for 2-3 years or until he's ready

I tought it was only for a year, maybe 2 :\

Not the worst idea. What would he gain from being coached by Lefebvre? He's played two successful seasons in NA, so he knows the playing style and ice surface. The Czech league never hindered Tomas Hertl's progression. We would not have seen him on the Habs within 2-3 years anyways. All the power to him.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not the worst idea. What would he gain from being coached by Lefebvre? He's played two successful seasons in NA, so he knows the playing style and ice surface. The Czech league never hindered Tomas Hertl's progression.

Habs cannot think this way. If they think that it's great that their prospects develop elsewhere from Hamilton, will be the day that Lefebvre will stop being a coach. Now, Habs cannot drop their prospects. They are not all going to play here...but they mostly ALL can give us some fine return whether it's 1 on 1 or in a package. Reway might be the only prospect that "might" be well looked based on WJC than any other prospects we have outside of Scherbak, McCarron and Hudon. He has a value. So whether we trade him now or not, doesn't matter. But you still need to keep him relevant. You can't send the signal that this guy will never come. Not what he's saying.....but contemplating 3 years in Europe, might be a huge red mark, as he could still stay there after that. My biggest problem with him is that he seems to think it's Czech and then NHL. Pretty sure he would need a full AHL year. Especially for the type of player he is. He is no Hertl. Hertl played only 1 year after San Jose had drafted him. Reway might contemplate playing there 3 or 4 years....in a system that is not the NHL with opposition that is clearly not the NHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...833396-martin-reway-la-famille-avant-tout.php

Reway says at the of the article that he wants to stay in the czech league for 2-3 years or until he's ready

he's under contract with his Czech team for next season as well, so I assume he plays there, after that it will be interesting to see what management has in store for him. I don't see the harm in leaving him over there as the current coaching staffs in the NHL and AHL for the Habs would go crazy over his defensive woes.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
he's under contract with his Czech team for next season as well, so I assume he plays there, after that it will be interesting to see what management has in store for him. I don't see the harm in leaving him over there as the current coaching staffs in the NHL and AHL for the Habs would go crazy over his defensive woes.
What are the latest rules wrt retaining his rights? Does he have 2 or 4 years to sign with us, for example?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Almost forgot about Lehkonen, that's how disappointing he was for the WJC. Not thrilled with the pick. Never was.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Almost forgot about Lehkonen, that's how disappointing he was for the WJC. Not thrilled with the pick. Never was.

Coming out a mononucleosis....I wouldn't rule him out, especially not after a tournament like that. Though, the point that we have A LOT of similar type of players is true. I have no problem going small....but for me, they need to be extremely and purely talented. Lehkonen was seen that way at one point....so we'll see how that translates.

As far as the WJC, only Reway shone. Rest was dissapointing, for me. Yet, doesn't mean that everybody should leave for a 7th rounder. Nobody should leave because of an average WJC.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Coming out a mononucleosis....I wouldn't rule him out, especially not after a tournament like that. Though, the point that we have A LOT of similar type of players is true. I have no problem going small....but for me, they need to be extremely and purely talented. Lehkonen was seen that way at one point....so we'll see how that translates.

As far as the WJC, only Reway shone. Rest was dissapointing, for me. Yet, doesn't mean that everybody should leave for a 7th rounder. Nobody should leave because of an average WJC.

Mcdonagh and pacioretty??

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Beaulieu? Subban his first time around ? Ribeiro, Ryder and Latendresse in 99-00? You have to put those things into perspective, none of those guys would have made it to the pros if you only judged them on their WJHC performances. Just being there and getting that experience is a win in itself.

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
After 4 points in his first 25 games in the SHL, Nattinen has picked up 7 points in his last 11. I know I've pretty much forgotten him already but I still like seeing improvement from any player in the organization. I was hoping he'd be good enough for a 4th line center position with his size and smarts but at this point I'm not convinced he comes back. Still. I'm posting it. Don't try to stop me.

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
After 4 points in his first 25 games, Nattinen has picked up 7 points in his last 11. I know I've pretty much forgotten him already but I still like seeing improvement from any player in the organization. I was hoping he'd be good enough for a 4th line center position with his size and smarts but at this point I'm not convinced he comes back. Still. I'm posting it. Don't try to stop me.

He does own the best Habs prospect goal I've seen in a while:

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal

He is in a better league than the Junior, playing on the first line.
I think he is learning more in Czech league than in Junior.
They may even practice more.

He has the second best ppg in his team.
Not out of place.

He will come when he is ready to play in NHL.
What is the point of playing 70 games in AHL and 5 in NHL when he can learn more where he is.

There are many paths to reach NHL and his could very well work out to be better.
Look at Sekac, trying to make it in NA and now in NHL...

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I've seen Lehkonen play at a level that would indicate NHL potential earlier in the season. I have no idea why he's playing the way he's playing now, but it's been this way for a couple months now. He was a totally different player as late as early November. If all I had seen of him this year was the WJC, I'd be upset about the pick. But, having seen that performance in Tampere from him was enough for me to grant the benefit of the doubt.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What are the latest rules wrt retaining his rights? Does he have 2 or 4 years to sign with us, for example?

as far as I know, even though he was drafted out of the Q, since he left for the Czech league we retain his rights until June 2017. Had he stayed in the Q this year he would have had to be signed by this up coming June.

I'm torn on him as I've seen some high level skill but he's been in a major slump. But I have major concerns over his lack of weight, he's so skinny, granted at 19 and not turning 20 till the summer he's got a lot of time to bulk up as he can stay in the SHL for a couple years since we don't have to sign him till 2017.

I heard something about mono, when did he get it as I don't recall him missing any length of time.

As for the WJC's, disappointed in DLR and Lehkonen, thought both would produce more especially Lehkonen (didn't know anything about mono though).

After 4 points in his first 25 games in the SHL, Nattinen has picked up 7 points in his last 11. I know I've pretty much forgotten him already but I still like seeing improvement from any player in the organization. I was hoping he'd be good enough for a 4th line center position with his size and smarts but at this point I'm not convinced he comes back. Still. I'm posting it. Don't try to stop me.

Nattinen has the same production as Lehkonen although in a couple more games and he's several years older. Good to see him picking up the points, although I hear it's his younger brother that is the much better hockey player.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I actually thought Lehkonen looked pretty good in the WJC? Or at least, he showed more dimensionality than maybe I expected... not the flash or offense that was anticipated, but (granted, I was not watching closely) he seemed to be pretty responsible in defensive and PK situations, and surprised me a bit with his tenacity and hustle instead? :dunno:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I'd bring Nattinen back for Hamilton if he had interest. Not too late for him to become a 4th line center at the NHL level and we have a lot of contract spots opening up.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I heard something about mono, when did he get it as I don't recall him missing any length of time.

As for the WJC's, disappointed in DLR and Lehkonen, thought both would produce more especially Lehkonen (didn't know anything about mono though).

He got mono during the summer. Couldn't get in shape so he kinda started his summer training during the month of September. Might not be THE excuse of the century, as he somewhat looked better before than he is now, as it should have been the opposite, unless, his lack of conditioning is showing now.

I actually thought Lehkonen looked pretty good in the WJC? Or at least, he showed more dimensionality than maybe I expected... not the flash or offense that was anticipated, but (granted, I was not watching closely) he seemed to be pretty responsible in defensive and PK situations, and surprised me a bit with his tenacity and hustle instead? :dunno:

While it's important that everybody is a good 2-way player, at that level, if you are suppose to become a sniper or offensive player, you have to show it during that kinda of tournament. Lehkonen is not going to make the NHL by becoming a okay 3rd line 2-way player. I don't believe it. Unless he becomes more than that and happens to be the next Jere Lehtinen. Yet, Lehtinen dominated his league in Euro and had great offensive season in the NHL.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
While it's important that everybody is a good 2-way player, at that level, if you are suppose to become a sniper or offensive player, you have to show it during that kinda of tournament. Lehkonen is not going to make the NHL by becoming a okay 3rd line 2-way player. I don't believe it. Unless he becomes more than that and happens to be the next Jere Lehtinen. Yet, Lehtinen dominated his league in Euro and had great offensive season in the NHL.
Agreed, but by the same token if you are an undersized scorer who just plays a one dimensional game, you probably don't make it either (see our other discussions on Reway for example). So maybe if he's still a good sniper, but just got caught up in the overall lack of offensive success the Finns had in a short string of games, at least it was good to see him blocking shots and seeming to have a leadership/inspirational role on his team, even while the scoring wasn't there. At least it was something to somewhat mitigate the tourney for him, I thought.

But I'm generally not optimistic about most prospects, and with or without that, I don't really see Lehkonen as a future NHLer, tbh.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
He got mono during the summer. Couldn't get in shape so he kinda started his summer training during the month of September. Might not be THE excuse of the century, as he somewhat looked better before than he is now, as it should have been the opposite, unless, his lack of conditioning is showing now.

Never a good idea to judge a player on any given tournament, especially the WJC. A lot of guys that dominated this thing went nowhere as pros and loys of kids that had so-so showings became good NHLers.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Lehtinen's numbers were also inflated from playing with Saku in Finland. Lehkonen is more impressive at the same age. As an 18 year old Lekonen led his team in scoring in the Finnish league while Lehtinen didn't even make the mens league until 19. Though Lekonen is the worse 19 year old, the current SEL is about a thousand times better than SM-Liiga of 1993.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad