Speculation: 2014-15 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread (Cap, Roster, etc) - Part IV (Mod Warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Someone has missed the point. The owners have a limit to how much they spend. The players get, in total, 50% of revenue. Whether teams chose to pay some players a lot has no impact on the league's finances because it only means other players get less.

I would love to see what would happen if the league had the current cap but no restriction on player salary (ie Crosby could demand 20m per year if he wanted). A lot of the real salary inflation in the league isn't from the star players Bobby refers to, but the medium tier who do absolutely nothing to bring in money but still command 3-5m salaries. I think that group of players would get absolutely screwed, and they probably deserve to be, while the league's stars get more correctly rewarded.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I don't usually agree with BobbyJet.. but if Toews and Kane are serious about 12M per, it'll cripple the Hawks over the next 2-3 years.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that. As a fan, it stinks, and I hope it doesn't happen.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but my impression is that professional athletes as a general rule do not accommodate fans' needs at the expense of their pocketbooks. I hope T/K are the exception. But if I'm being objective, I can't blame them for trying to cash out.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I'm willing to believe that we are frontrunners for Spezza/Kesler/in on Stastny. I just really don't understand what we're offering that's so good. It better not be TT or Saad or I'm turning on Bowman REAL quick.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I understand that they likely won't sign for 12M, but even if we're talking about 10.5 or 11M.. it's crippling.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I'm willing to believe that we are frontrunners for Spezza/Kesler/in on Stastny. I just really don't understand what we're offering that's so good. It better not be TT or Saad or I'm turning on Bowman REAL quick.

I don't know that it's so much what Chicago's offering, but rather that players want to play here and that Chicago is likely their 1st or 2nd choice.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I understand that they likely won't sign for 12M, but even if we're talking about 10.5 or 11M.. it's crippling.

It isn't "crippling" it will work out just like it did after 2010. The assets we will be trading next summer will get us an absolute fortune... in the best draft in a long time. Guys like Seabrook, Sharp, Leddy, will be available. All will be worth 1st round picks+.

Just because we have to unload guys doesn't mean we won't get value for them.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago

I'll be honest, I don't see how it works without a big salary with talent like Sharp or Seabrook. I won't even go there b/c of the emotion it stirs up on this board.

Obviously Bickell fits the salary criteria but I don't see a ton of value with him. Leddy brings some upside at a good caphit so could definitely see him gone...

I'd be shocked if Saad was involved. FO, coaches, fans all seem to see what he brings now and in the future.

TT is really a wildcard. He obviously has a lot of hype. Hard to get a feel what they really think about him. Even if the guys in charge didn't like what they saw when he came over to NA this year, they're sure as heck going to pump his tires as a top prospect to keep his trade value sky high. I honestly don't know much about TT...seen him play a couple of times streaming... If what everyone says on here is true, the Hawks probably love him and don't want to move him. Leaves me confused who is being offered...

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I see nothing on Bobby Mac's twitter about Spezza

It's very likely comments he's made through TSN radio.

EDIT:

On Chris' tweeter feed, the series of tweets I quoted followed this one.

@NicholsOnHockey
McKenzie on team 1040: I do get sense that something has happened in the last 24 hours that has accelerated things on Ryan Kesler. #Canucks

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I'll be honest, I don't see how it works without a big salary with talent like Sharp or Seabrook. I won't even go there b/c of the emotion it stirs up on this board.

Obviously Bickell fits the salary criteria but I don't see a ton of value with him. Leddy brings some upside at a good caphit so could definitely see him gone...

I'd be shocked if Saad was involved. FO, coaches, fans all seem to see what he brings now and in the future.

TT is really a wildcard. He obviously has a lot of hype. Hard to get a feel what they really think about him. Even if the guys in charge didn't like what they saw when he came over to NA this year, they're sure as heck going to pump his tires as a top prospect to keep his trade value sky high. I honestly don't know much about TT...seen him play a couple of times streaming... If what everyone says on here is true, the Hawks probably love him and don't want to move him. Leaves me confused who is being offered...

Our only "available" assets of value are Seabrook, Sharp, Teravainen, Hartman, Leddy, maybe Oduya.

The deals that they are putting us out front on are absurd. I just don't know what Stan is up to.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Our only "available" assets of value are Seabrook, Sharp, Teravainen, Hartman, Leddy, maybe Oduya.

The deals that they are putting us out front on are absurd. I just don't know what Stan is up to.

Leddy and Oduya get fairly and unfairly dumped on a lot on this board. These are the two guys this board may underrate (or the rest of the league overrate).

I don't see it with Bickell. Multiple years after a brutal regular season is not an enticing contract even if he was injured. The Hawks could dump that contract but it wouldn't bring anything great back.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I love that Seabrook, Sharp, Leddy and Teravainen are available - and "maybe" Oduya.

Sorry, I'm a big Oduya fan/supporter.. but that's funny.

"Yeah, Seabs and Sharp are defs availz. Oduya? Maybe, man.. for the right deal."

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I love that Seabrook, Sharp, Leddy and Teravainen are available - and "maybe" Oduya.

Sorry, I'm a big Oduya fan/supporter.. but that's funny.

"Yeah, Seabs and Sharp are defs availz. Oduya? Maybe, man.. for the right deal."

I mean that Oduya "maybe" has value that could be a piece in a huge deal like we're rumored in.

Of course he's much more available then Seabrook and Sharp, duh.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Okay guys, taking cap into consideration and who we may have to give away for what, what guy do you guys want or think we should get? Not who would be the best, but actually be realistic about how this would work out.

I'm going with Kesler.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Now that you said that, I can read it that way. The first time I read it though, that's how it came across to me.

Oduya definitely has value. A team like Detroit would be interested.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Okay guys, taking cap into consideration and who we may have to give away for what, what guy do you guys want or think we should get? Not who would be the best, but actually be realistic about how this would work out.

I'm going with Kesler.

What do I want? Bickell+Leddy for whatever picks and prospects, then sign Stastny for 6.8M.

Sharp Toews Hossa
Saad Stastny Kane
Morin Shaw Versteeg
4th line.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago

I'm going with Kesler.

I still think Kesler has the best chance of going below value due to his NMC. I'm just worried that the Ducks and others may have more to offer though.

I think the Hawks could find a place to dump Bickell for little return to clear cap. Don't know who would go to Nucks. They'll probably ask for TT, but if the best deal they get doesn't involve TT (Leddy + Morin + prospect/pick), who knows... Hawks could get luck.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I don't really want Stastny. He's a really good player, but I don't want to necessarily invest 6+ years at near 7M per in a centre.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
What do I want? Bickell+Leddy for whatever picks and prospects, then sign Stastny for 6.8M.

Sharp Toews Hossa
Saad Stastny Kane
Morin Shaw Versteeg
4th line.

I would definitely take that, but would they? I just don't know if they would.

Then what's the fourth line?

Bollig - Kruger - Smith?

Awesome top-6 and potentially a really solid bottom 6, especially if Bollig and Versteeg produce better.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I still really don't see a big deal happening here, and I hope it doesn't.

I don't know. I'm down for a deal, but I just don't want to lose TT or Sharp. If we could move Bickell, Leddy, prospects, picks, whatever for someone, I'm down for that. I especially don't wanna lose TT. But I guess you gotta give a little to get a little.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I would definitely take that, but would they? I just don't know if they would.

Then what's the fourth line?

Bollig - Kruger - Smith?

Awesome top-6 and potentially a really solid bottom 6, especially if Bollig and Versteeg produce better.

Ya, Bollig Kruger Smith on the 4th. Who know if Stastny would take it. It's just my best case scenario. Unless Kesler's demands are much lower than the fans are discussing. I just don't see Kesler coming without TT and TT is off limits for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad