Salary Cap: 2014-15 Cap / 2015 the Summer of the RFA D

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
I was thinking 7 x 4mil sounds about right if he'd bite. I might go up a little bit 4.5 would be the max if not to high then just do a bridge. After all, Tyler Myers only got 5.5. I'd be to worried about the hips to go close to 5 long term without seeing him prove he can stay healthy. He is already better than Goligoski in my opinion so he theoretically should be worth close to his money. Yes I know Goligoski was proven first my point is balancing what his game is worth with the risk. The more I think about it a bridge deal probably makes the most sense unless you can lock him up for close to 4. I'm thinking he is going to get 3 anyways so an extra mil to lock him up longterm would be worth it. Then if he stays healthy and continues his play, we have a steal, a what appears to be a perinial allstar caliber player on a cheap contract locked up. I'd give as long a contract as I could for 4mil if he stays healthy the rest of the season.

Last edited:

aloonda*

I was thinking 7 x 4mil sounds about right if he'd bite. I might go up a little bit 4.5 would be the max if not to high then just do a bridge. After all, Tyler Myers only got 5.5. I'd be to worried about the hips to go close to 5 long term without seeing him prove he can stay healthy. He is already better than Goligoski in my opinion so he theoretically should be worth close to his money. Yes I know Goligoski was proven first my point is balancing what his game is worth with the risk. The more I think about it a bridge deal probably makes the most sense unless you can lock him up for close to 4. I'm thinking he is going to get 3 anyways so an extra mil to lock him up longterm would be worth it. Then if he stays healthy and continues his play, we have a steal, a what appears to be a perinial allstar caliber player on a cheap contract locked up. I'd give as long a contract as I could for 4mil if he stays healthy the rest of the season.

goalsagainstki doesn't hit the tape on passes at anywhere near the rate as the klingberg does

he just tosses it in the general direction

send his ass on down by the river

get a big dude

keep klingberg long term

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
goalsagainstki doesn't hit the tape on passes at anywhere near the rate as the klingberg does

he just tosses it in the general direction

send his ass on down by the river

get a big dude

keep klingberg long term

I'm on board!

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah but there's way more risk with him than the normal person. Usually you have to worry about plain old regression. With him he carries a bigger concern with his hips.

You're absolutely right. I just hate the idea that he could get close to $3 on a bridge possibly .... the same as Subban several years ago. I just think Barrie's contract is a nightmare, and the chances of Krug being a realistic comparison are pretty slim because of usage.

The smart move is likely the bridge, but it would be interesting to see what kind of long term numbers he wanted just to see if it's in a realistic neighborhood.

It's going to be interesting to how much hard ball Nill is willing to play with 4 NHL D under contract, 4 RFAs, and no legitimate NHL ready depth. I wouldn't be surprised though if there's another more significant addition though before puck drop 2015-16 so that could change the landscape.

If Klingberg finishes out the season like his first 6 games with some likely slumps along the way ... I'd be very impressed with Nill if he keeps the bridge deal under $2.6. I'll say that.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
No way he settles for anything under 10x7M.

No way he gets close to that as Rfa. Maybe if he gets a bridge deal and plays this way that's close but if he wants term and money now it's not close to that money. And if I'm not mistaking you can't give 10 years anymore.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
No way he gets close to that as Rfa. Maybe if he gets a bridge deal and plays this way that's close but if he wants term and money now it's not close to that money. And if I'm not mistaking you can't give 10 years anymore.

It was a funny joke

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006

It was basically making fun of the previous number, which in itself was ridiculous.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
I know he's been outstanding, but it's 6 games. I'll bet there are some downs to go with his current ups along the way. I highly, highly doubt he will keep up this level of play throughout his entire rookie season. Let's see how he handles adversity when he has a few bad games, not to mention how he holds up physically with the grind of an NHL season. Far too early for anything like these contract projections after 6 games.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
I know he's been outstanding, but it's 6 games. I'll bet there are some downs to go with his current ups along the way. I highly, highly doubt he will keep up this level of play throughout his entire rookie season. Let's see how he handles adversity when he has a few bad games, not to mention how he holds up physically with the grind of an NHL season. Far too early for anything like these contract projections after 6 games.

Of course we all expect growing pains, I think most of these are based under the assumption that he finishes the season healthy and playing at a high level. Right now through 7 games he is flat playing at an elite level.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
There's an interesting thread regarding Cody Franson's offseason value on the main board right now. Wonder what some of yal would give. Right now it's being debated if he is a true number 2 d right now. I tend to think he is a tweener 3 4 guy kinda like I view Goligoski, however he is still relatively young plays RD is 6'5 and likes to hit. He also puts up 30+ points. His negative my be his hockey IQ in the dzone. Personally, I'd offer easily what is being mentioned now over there but I'd like to lock him up for more term. I'm interested to here what some of you that know a little more than me think but I'd offer 6 years at close to 5 for him I think. Am I close or far off? Main board is guessing 3 to 5 years at 4.5 to 5.5 mil. I'd offer more term and try less $ land hope Detroit doesn't swing for the fences with him.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Absolute no to Franson. He can be so putrid at times (see last year) he makes Jordie look good. Leaf fans were hoping to get a mid round pick for him last year. Surprising turn around for the guy and I believe this year to be an anomaly in his career.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
Absolute no to Franson. He can be so putrid at times (see last year) he makes Jordie look good. Leaf fans were hoping to get a mid round pick for him last year. Surprising turn around for the guy and I believe this year to be an anomaly in his career.

Most I saw wanted a 2nd last season for him. I appreciate what your saying but he is showing what he is capable of right now. Whether he can maintain or not idk, but he is playing at top pair level. Even if he regresses slightly, he's still a 3 4 level d. At worst case lets call him a Jordie level defenseman (I don't see it) he still puts up 30+ points and is near the top in hits. Gives us another legit pp d man and has massive upside that Jordie does not.
To me, I'd say worst case scenario we are looking at better right handed version of Trevor Daley and best case we would get a beast! For 5 a year I'd take him and trade Goligoski.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Until Lindback is claimed :)laugh:) or clears waivers, Dallas has 16 forwards (3 on IR), 8 D (1 on IR), and 3 goalies.

All these injuries are killing the cap space they made for themselves. Most of the cap space is back to being LTIR for a brief moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad