Salary Cap: 2014-15 Cap / 2015 the Summer of the RFA D

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
That's a shame.

ROm_XQ.gif

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
If somebody needed to go, it was Garbutt and his BS penalties and embellishments! Much rather have Roussel

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If somebody needed to go, it was Garbutt and his BS penalties and embellishments! Much rather have Roussel

Speaking of ... they never showed a replay and only briefly mentioned it, but at some point Garbutt appeared to take a shoulder or stick up high in the defensive zone.

My initial thought to him throwing his stick and grabbing his face was I bet they don't call it. He's already earned a reputation for a bulls*** artist.

He needs to get that in check. They've committed to paying him too much to pull stunts like he's done recently.

The younger Roussel has played a much better game most of the season IMO than Garbutt has. He definitely learns from his mistakes and moves forward in a way Garbutt has been unable to demonstrate to this point.

aloonda*

i think garbutt embellishment penalties have been bs---sorry he is going all out and gets tripped up, omg omg,

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
i think garbutt embellishment penalties have been bs---sorry he is going all out and gets tripped up, omg omg,

It's OK to take off the homer goggles. He's made some Dustin Brown like body contortions recently.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Problem with Roussel is that higher skill guys are going to eclipse him on the depth chart. That also includes bigger players who are a bit more effective as the rough & tumble sort of play he plays.

Which is unfortunate but just how the cookie crumbles.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Problem with Roussel is that higher skill guys are going to eclipse him on the depth chart. That also includes bigger players who are a bit more effective as the rough & tumble sort of play he plays.

That's actually not a problem. No one should want Roussel in the top six. He's a good 3rd liner and if Dallas finds 3 better players than him at the role then fantastic but there just aren't that many 4th liners better than him and I'd argue that even most 3rd line guys who get zero PP time don't produce like he does or add pk abilities and the occasional faceoff win. Go look back at the Dallas Stars for the last 5 seasons and see the point totals for guys who play less than 13 minutes a night. Occasionally we've gotten Nystrom's absurd goal total for one season but there aren't many 25+ point guys, period.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'm perfectly fine with Frenchy as a bottom-six glue guy, able to get under everyone's skin while popping in the odd goal here and there. Skates like the wind, too, which is a huge plus on this team.

I find him somehow more likeable than Otter was, and that's saying something.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

The big worry is something dumb like the Avery or Ott contracts of a few GMs ago.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Justin Faulk's 6 year extension for $29 million is potentially a comparable for Dillon if Brenden or Dallas push for a longer deal.

Dillion is a year older averaging about 21 minutes in his first year and a half. He doesn't score as much as Faulk, but he gets not PP time while still managing to put up 0.2 points per game. Faulk is at 0.36 per game in 2.5 seasons.

If you also consider Cowen's 4 years at $3.1 per you get the idea that a 4 or 5 year deal (6 years would eat up 2 years of UFA/Faulk's only takes 1) Dallas could end up paying $3.25 to $4.75 IMO.

I still feel a 2 year deal is going to be in the $2.25 to $2.75 range based on all the recent contracts.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I find him somehow more likeable than Otter was, and that's saying something.
Ott's act wore thin because he was overpaid, playing second line/PP minutes, stopped scoring, was given a leadership role, and played a more selfish game than any player in Stars history. Ott was more interested in being a pest than winning. He regularly took himself and the team out of games with his antics.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The big worry is something dumb like the Avery or Ott contracts of a few GMs ago.

Both of those contracts were UFA deals. If he even gets Garbutt money, Dallas is overpaying.

I know some have already said they are just as valuable ... and on the ice they are similar, but RFA contracts 90% of the time are usually significantly less than UFA comparables. If Dallas makes the mistake of giving him UFA value now, his 2nd and potentially 3rd contract before UFA could easily get out of hand.

Recently, only Benn has forced Dallas to break the mold and pay big early.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Speaking of Roussel ... I completely forgot about the Raffl contract over the weekend.

Roussel is 24, and Raffl is 25 years old.

Roussel plays 13:07, and Raffl plays 12:54.

Roussel plays 1:39 SH, and Raffl plays 1:44.

Roussel has 12 goals/24 points, and Raffl has 9 goals/21 points.

Roussel has 130 hits with 44 blocked shots, and Raffl has 91 hits with 37 blocked shots.

Raffl's new contract pays him $1.1 million for 2 years. My original guess on Roussel was $950K to $1.15 million. I went a bit lower because I wasn't certain he'd continue his offensive pace, but he's currently projected for 14 goals/28 points. He also has extra NHL experience that Raffl didn't have.

My new guess is 2 years for $1.15 to $1.35 million (Marcus Kruger got $1.325 last year). Anything over $1.5 is an over payment based on the established RFA market.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Since they're RFAs, I could see them going on the back burner until after July 1st.

They have to prepare for the draft now, and they may still need to negotiate ELC's should they choose to sign some of the remaining 2012 picks.

Then they obviously have to focus immediately on UFA after the draft.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
Since they're RFAs, I could see them going on the back burner until after July 1st.

They have to prepare for the draft now, and they may still need to negotiate ELC's should they choose to sign some of the remaining 2012 picks.

Then they obviously have to focus immediately on UFA after the draft.

I'm betting you'll see one or two of these guys signed before the draft. They've been talking contract already, just can't announce anything.

Plus, they have two months before the draft. If you haven't been doing your homework all year for the draft, I don't think two months is going to sway a lot of your thinking and prevent you from reaching a contract with your RFA's.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm betting you'll see one or two of these guys signed before the draft. They've been talking contract already, just can't announce anything.

Plus, they have two months before the draft. If you haven't been doing your homework all year for the draft, I don't think two months is going to sway a lot of your thinking and prevent you from reaching a contract with your RFA's.

There are zero restrictions on announcing a new contract. They've been eligible to announce a new contract since July 5th last summer.

I hope they're done quickly, but that is rarely the case with RFAs. I'm fine with Dallas setting the summer market to get it done though. Although in Roussel's case I think the market was officially set with Raffl. I don't know that there's been as close a comparable for Dillon or Eakin in the past few months.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Nill sounded like it was almost done with Roussel at that Q&A session, but that was what? a month and a half ago now? Maybe longer, I can't remember.

I think he'll get done before the draft. Other two will probably take a bit longer.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Nill sounded like it was almost done with Roussel at that Q&A session, but that was what? a month and a half ago now? Maybe longer, I can't remember.

I think he'll get done before the draft. Other two will probably take a bit longer.

IMO ... Roussel is a pretty easy one. He and Raffl are extremely similar, and there were several very good comparables from last summer.

Dillon's could be difficult because there is some reasonable case to push for more than 2. Eakin's will be difficult because he could justify arguing that he was Dallas' 2nd line center the last 2 seasons, especially this season. He could push for Kadri money potentially.

As for why Roussel's may not have been announced is when you look at the current ELC's Dallas has been signing, it's after their seasons. I'm guessing he doesn't want to do much in season negotiating to distract players. That's why I'm a bit surprised Sinitsyn is still unsigned. Lindell is still currently playing with the Finnish national team. I don't honestly expect Winther or Kiviaho to get a contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00