WJC: 2014 — Canada Roster Talk (Pt. IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedrop91*

I thought what Cherry said about Brown was right. Leads the OHL in scoring, hes an older player and has the ability to score whenever. Plus he already plays with McDavid. Dont give me this HC doesn't take league leading goal scorers, or whats the point of inviting players that won't make it. Thats bs. Domi I understand. The kid doesn't want to play defense and having a chip on his shoulder after being sent back by the Coyotes didn't help. Oh and Nurse being like Seth Jones made me LOL right at the end there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I do agree about Connor Brown. Whether he would make the final team or not, I think when you lead a league in scoring you at the very least should earn yourself a camp invite.

As for Domi getting the call with Drouin injured, don't forget they actually still have 14 other forwards in camp. Wouldn't particularly make sense to cut a camp guy for someone who didn't make the initial cut.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
What is Cherry complaining about? There's no spot on this team for Domi. He's not going to play in the top nine as a center over guys like Horvat, Petan, Laughton, Reinhart, McDavid etc. and the team is strong on the wings, with guys like Drouin, Shinkaruk, Mantha, etc.

There was just no room for him.

sedrop91*

I do agree about Connor Brown. Whether he would make the final team or not, I think when you lead a league in scoring you at the very least should earn yourself a camp invite.

Exactly. Where are all those fanboys now that were saying Brown shouldn't have been invited? Cough. Pacman40. I bet Pacman feels stupid.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Whats the D pairings look project to look like? Will Reinhart make it even with the suspension?

snizzbone*

Brown would have made the camp if the camp was a normal one. Same for Domi/Nurse.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I thought what Cherry said about Brown was right. Leads the OHL in scoring, hes an older player and has the ability to score whenever. Plus he already plays with McDavid. Dont give me this HC doesn't take league leading goal scorers, or whats the point of inviting players that won't make it. Thats bs. Domi I understand. The kid doesn't want to play defense and having a chip on his shoulder after being sent back by the Coyotes didn't help. Oh and Nurse being like Seth Jones made me LOL right at the end there.

The only thing I can think about with Brown is that they took Lipon last year (who was the leading scoring in the WHL - or at least close to it) and he was a waste of space. :dunno:

What is Cherry complaining about? There's no spot on this team for Domi. He's not going to play in the top nine as a center over guys like Horvat, Petan, Laughton, Reinhart, McDavid etc. and the team is strong on the wings, with guys like Drouin, Shinkaruk, Mantha, etc.

There was just no room for him.

Pretty much. If Domi's there, who's left off the team? I'm guessing it was between him and Shinkaruk and I don't mind them going with Shinkaruk. The fact that Domi's a hothead, plays selfish, and takes dumb penalties really worked against him, imo, when you consider he hasn't had the best year offensively.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
The only thing I can think about with Brown is that they took Lipon last year (who was the leading scoring in the WHL - or at least close to it) and he was a waste of space. :dunno:

Pretty much. If Domi's there, who's left off the team? I'm guessing it was between him and Shinkaruk and I don't mind them going with Shinkaruk. The fact that Domi's a hothead, plays selfish, and takes dumb penalties really worked against him, imo, when you consider he hasn't had the best year offensively.

Good point on Lipon.
The surprises were't domi or nurse.
Really hard to believe they never invited Leipsic and Poirier.

Every time I check the line score, Shinkaruk is out. Not sure if this guy is not made if glass. He seems to be a health risk to me

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I think hunter will have a tough time making it. He has past success with Team Canada which helps but he hasn't played that well and has been injured.
I'm a big fan of Shinkaruk, but I do think the way the season has played out that he may be the odd man out this year.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'm a big fan of Shinkaruk, but I do think the way the season has played out that he may be the odd man out this year.

I thought he would have turned it up by now but ya if he goes its to be an offensive guy obviously. Not sure Canada should be counting on a guy with 16 points in 18 games and only 5 goals to be a scorer for them

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I thought he would have turned it up by now but ya if he goes its to be an offensive guy obviously. Not sure Canada should be counting on a guy with 16 points in 18 games and only 5 goals to be a scorer for them

He was playing injured to try and get an invite. It worked for him, Sutter probably loved it. Now he has to get healthy and then prove he deserves to not be cut.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Brown with 3 more points today, wish he would've at least got an invite.

If Brown wasn't going to make the final roster, why does it matter if he was invited to camp? We can question the selected team, and the decision to essentially forego a big selection camp in December, but why does it really matter if players who weren't going to make the final roster still get invites? Seems like fans simply hoping that a camp invite will validate the status of their favourite team's prospects.

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
Drouin-Petan-Mantha
Laughton-Horvat-Reinhart
Hudon-Mcdavid-Shinkaruk
Rychel-Gauthier-Anderson
Leier

Just a couple notes from observations this year:

I think McDavid gets moved to wing and hopefully gets put in the top 6. I don't care his age; the guy is a dominant force and plays like an 18-19 year old already.

Rychel really played his way onto the team this year. I think if you asked these guys at the beginning of the year if he would have even made the 35 player camp they probably would have said, "No." And now I would say he's a lock.

I can't say I'm surprised by the goalie selections but am a little disappointed. I know Paterson was on the team last year, but I don't think he even dressed for a game. So if it's experience you want to back up Fucale, take another 19 year old who is having a better year.

I'm excited for the team this year and am ecstatic with only picking 25 guys for the camp. This time must be used to build chemistry. Throwing 35 guys into an already short camp doesn't give you the ability to do that. Hockey Canada already knows what these players can do so let's get them going in the same direction from day one.

Go Canada!

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
There was a picture of Horvat receiving his Jersey after the rosters were announced and it had an A on it. He's pretty much a lock barring injury

Just stating in case the odd person browsing didn't know.

Shinkaruk needs to be healthy. Don't bother playing him if injured. As much as I'd LOVE to see this kid play, it's best for Canada to use someone else. He's not been good since the injury. He had like 15 points in 10 games pre injury and since then it's been downhill.

meh

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
There was a picture of Horvat receiving his Jersey after the rosters were announced and it had an A on it. He's pretty much a lock barring injury

Just stating in case the odd person browsing didn't know.

Shinkaruk needs to be healthy. Don't bother playing him if injured. As much as I'd LOVE to see this kid play, it's best for Canada to use someone else. He's not been good since the injury. He had like 15 points in 10 games pre injury and since then it's been downhill.

meh

Well, he hasn't played in Medicine Hat's games since the announcement of the camp roster, so I would assume he's just going to rest up until the 12th. Hopefully, that will have been enough time off to get him to 100%.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Shinkaruk has been hurt all year, really sucks for his chances of making the team.

Even when he played he was hurt, before his injury he had 10 points in 6 games.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I think hunter will have a tough time making it. He has past success with Team Canada which helps but he hasn't played that well and has been injured.

As I said on our forum to you, we will see but we know sutter at least is big on him from his comments. Imo I think he is on the team unless he looks hurt in camp, that will be the deciding factor, sutter anyway spoke highly of him 2 weeks ago and he did score the winning goal the other week in the SSS. Guess we will find out shortly though.

Tyson Giuriato ‏@TysonGiuriato 25m
#Canucks prospect Hunter Shinkaruk not in the lineup for the Tigers tonight. Most likely resting/healing up for Team Canada Camp.

“Since I came back (to Medicine Hat) from Vancouver, it seems like injury after injury, but I have to play through them because I want to make world juniors,” said Shinkaruk, who has five goals and 16 points in 18 games. “The fact they did choose me despite the injuries gives me a lot of motivation to make sure I’m 100% and help them win a gold. I’m lucky, because both are feeling better today, and by time camp comes around (Dec. 12 in Toronto), I think I’ll be 100%.”

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/12/02...-world-juniors

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
With 8 D coming to camp, who's the most likely to be cut? Pelech? and if by some stroke of good fortune Toronto decides to send Rielly? Who gets cut, Bigras or Ekblad?

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
With 8 D coming to camp, who's the most likely to be cut? Pelech? and if by some stroke of good fortune Toronto decides to send Rielly? Who gets cut, Bigras or Ekblad?
Tough call. I will say the beauty of the new camp format means we'll get to see these guys in action quite a bit, and then make a proper decision on who the best were and who struggled the most. No repeat of the Frank Corrado fiasco, please!

Macman

May 15, 2004

Rielly has to be coming. He's sat out the last three games, so why not? Leafs would be stupid not to send him. I want to see him on big ice with no Spott behind the bench to hold him up.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Can we stop saying, "I wish so and so was invited to camp." The camp was last summer and everyone's been heavily scouted all year and everyone in contention played in the Subway Series. In other words, they WERE invited. I think the new system of a small camp with only a few cuts is a good idea. The old system of a massive December camp was simply PR and lip service. HC knew who they were taking heading into camp with the exception of a few players anyway. The whole thing was counter productive. Now Sutter will be able to work on systems and finding chemistry between players from the get-go.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Rielly has to be coming. He's sat out the last three games, so why not? Leafs would be stupid not to send him. I want to see him on big ice with no Spott behind the bench to hold him up.

You're preaching to the choir! Now if Monahan's foot is sufficiently healed, maybe Calgary could view the WJHC as a conditioning assignment and send Monahan to help out the cause. That's just more wishful thinking on my part.

FinnSkillz28

Dec 9, 2013
Kouvola,Finland
If I would be a coach,my lineups would propably look like this :

J.Drouin - Petan - Mantha
Dumba - Pouliot

Hudon - Horvat - S.Reinhart
Morrissey - Reinhart/Ekblad

Rychel - Laughton - Lazar
Bigras - Severson

Leier - Gauthier - Anderson

Fucale