Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XXI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CertainAffinity*

I don't really have a problem with Kunitz being back on the top line. If they're not going to sit him, then Crosby's wing is the only place he should be.

Crosby and Bergeron looked pretty good together, so we'll see how that goes.

My issue is the 4th line, which doesn't look to have much of an identity. Is it a scoring line? A shut-down line? A line that will just pick up the extra minutes to rest the other 3 lines?

Sharp/Nash - Tavares - MSL just feels like thrown-together left-overs, not a line build with a specific purpose or specific combination of skills.

I'm interested to see Benn get shifts with Getzlaf and Perry. Hopefully they do a better job of using him than they did with Duchene.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Zamuner/Kunitz is universes above Kris Draper in hockey mettle/Olympic mettle/medal

Darth Handsome*

We don't have a top line. We have four top lines, and a spare.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Zamuner/Kunitz is universes above Kris Draper in hockey mettle/Olympic mettle/medal

Except Draper provided something none of the other players could. Kunitz provides something 13 other forwards and 3 of the D can do better than him. Plus a multitude of forwards sitting at home right now

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Latvia is no test for intensity and to see what would work...we're going out in the Semi's to the Americans.

Kuntz on the top line for frack sakes.

CertainAffinity*

I'd like to see them try Kunitz on the Ducks line if the Crosby line isn't clicking.

Unless Getzlaf and Perry are tearing it up with Benn of course.

The thing is - and I fell into the trap of this kind of thinking too - Team Canada keeps trying to add speed to that line, and it hasn't ever worked. It didn't work with Marleau and Duchene this year, it didn't work with Nash In 2010. It's a good idea in theory to compliment the Ducks cycle game with speed to stretch out the ice, but it's never really panned out... it seems like Getzlaf and Perry don't really know how to integrate that skillset into what they do.

What ended up working, very well, was putting a grinder on that line in the form of Morrow. Obviously 'grinder' is relative when you're on the Olympic roster, but Morrow didn't add speed or finesse to the line. He just won puck battles, was willing to battle for space in front of the net, and could cycle.

Kunitz hasn't played great, but he could certainly do those things. Which would free up speedy players like Duchene and Benn to bring their talents to lines that actually make use of it (I would try Duchene on the top line with Crosby and Bergeron, Benn back on the fourth line with Tavares where they had immediate chemistry).

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
I'd like to see them try Kunitz on the Ducks line if the Crosby line isn't clicking.

The thing is - and I fell into the trap of this kind of thinking too - Team Canada keeps trying to add speed to that line, and it hasn't ever worked. It didn't work with Marleau and Duchene this year, it didn't work with Nash In 2010. It's a good idea in theory to compliment the Ducks cycle game with speed to stretch out the ice, but it's never really panned out... it seems like Getzlaf and Perry don't really know how to integrate that skillset into what they do.

What ended up working, very well, was putting a grinder on that line in the form of Morrow. Obviously 'grinder' is relative when you're on the Olympic roster, but Morrow didn't add speed or finesse to the line. He just won puck battles, was willing to battle for space in front of the net, and could cycle.

Kunitz hasn't played great, but he could certainly do those things. Which would free up speedy players like Duchene and Benn to bring their talents to lines that actually make use of it (I would try Duchene on the top line with Crosby and Bergeron, Benn back on the fourth line with Tavares where they had immediate chemistry).

The real problem is we are using trial and error to place the least talented player in the roster. The solution is obvious but I believe Babcock and Yzerman are too arrogant to admit it

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Latvia is no test for intensity and to see what would work...we're going out in the Semi's to the Americans.

Kuntz on the top line for frack sakes.

Just like Germany did not prepare Canada for Russia in the 2010 quarterfinals? or Belarus for USA in 2002 Finals?

After watching Latvia upset Switzerland, why assume Canada and USA will meet in the 2014 semi-finals?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
There's only one tactic left for Babcock to "try" before he resigns from hockey coaching because of how horrifyingly bad Crosby is. MSL-Kunitz gooning it up.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Just a clown shoe operation we have here. Kunitz on the top line again? Give me a break, I am looking right at Babs if they lose

Just because he's on the Crosby line doesn't mean it has to be the top line. I would start giving more ice time to Toews and Tavares and take some away from Crosby.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco

I'll admit I am an Avalanche before saying this, so I may just be looking at it through rose-tinted glasses, but I feel like Perry and Getz REALLY didn't utilize Duchene (or Marleau in his brief stint) at all. Those guys seemed to act like they were the only players on that line and would leave the 3rd guys opportunities to be limited to rebounds. I say put Kunitz on THAT line as at least they have some history all playing together (even though that was a few years ago now) if you simply must keep him the lineup.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
:handclap:

I really really hope you're not serious.

Hey, why not sit Crosby? I mean, he seems to be the whipping boy for the lack of offense Team Canada's forwards have produced thus far in the tournament. So sit him, and then see Canada's offense blitz its way through the tournament without him holding them back.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Perry - Bergeron - Crosby (2005 Line)
Marleau - Getzlaf - Carter (Cali Line)
Duchene - Toews - Sharp (STD Line)
Benn - Tavares - Nash
St.Louis

Looking forward into the future, I would have much preferred:

Lucic - Benn - Kane/Ladd

...who would only get 6 minutes or so a night and the top lines would get 18 minutes each. Those 4 minutes would be to play all-out dump and chase physical play to have every defenseman on the opposition looking over their shoulders. Suddenly, you have the top three lines playing the minutes they are used to.

CertainAffinity*

I'll admit I am an Avalanche before saying this, so I may just be looking at it through rose-tinted glasses, but I feel like Perry and Getz REALLY didn't utilize Duchene (or Marleau in his brief stint) at all. Those guys seemed to act like they were the only players on that line and would leave the 3rd guys opportunities to be limited to rebounds. I say put Kunitz on THAT line as at least they have some history all playing together (even though that was a few years ago now) if you simply must keep him the lineup.

I agree with you. I think in all cases, it's not a matter of the speedy third guy not doing the right things, it's a matter of Getzlaf and Perry not being able to integrate their skill-set effectively into their own game.

CertainAffinity*

Hey, why not sit Crosby? I mean, he seems to be the whipping boy for the lack of offense Team Canada's forwards have produced thus far in the tournament. So sit him, and then see Canada's offense blitz its way through the tournament without him holding them back.

LOL, admit it, it would be kind of funny if the offense DID take off with Crosby gone, even if purely by coincidence. :laugh:

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Perry - Bergeron - Crosby (2005 Line)
Marleau - Getzlaf - Carter (Cali Line)
Duchene - Toews - Sharp (STD Line)
Benn - Tavares - Nash
St.Louis

Looking forward into the future, I would have much preferred:

Lucic - Benn - Kane/Ladd

...who would only get 6 minutes or so a night and the top lines would get 18 minutes each. Those 4 minutes would be to play all-out dump and chase physical play to have every defenseman on the opposition looking over their shoulders. Suddenly, you have the top three lines playing the minutes they are used to.

Yeah I wouldn't have a problem with this if it was on NHL sized ice (or even that weird half-way point that Salt Lake City was). However on international sized ice, you're gonna get pretty tired trying to get physical play going. As guys will find it a lot easier to simply go around you.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Sounds like Nick Kypreos thinks the U.S. will beat both the Czechs and the Canadians.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
LOL, admit it, it would be kind of funny if the offense DID take off with Crosby gone, even if purely by coincidence. :laugh:

Hey, if it results in a gold medal, I'm for whatever it takes. I'm a Team Canada fan, first and foremost. What Crosby (or Kunitz) does in the tournament is a very, very distant second to Canada winning gold. For example, I'd rather Canada won gold with Crosby getting no points than seeing Crosby lead the tournament with 20 points but Canada finish out of the medals.

Last edited by a moderator:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Sounds like Nick Kypreos thinks the U.S. will beat both the Czechs and the Canadians.

Anyone else hate the fact that with the new Rogers/NHL deal Kypreos will be shoved down our throats? He will be the face of Canadian Hockey broadcasting.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Kunitz had his chances. I don't agree with putting him on the top line at all. Even if he does play well tomorrow, it won't mean a thing. The fact that Duchene is probably the healthy scratch is asinine. Kunitz should be the healthy scratch, Taveres should be on the top line and Duchene should be on the fourth line.

Not often that I agree with Kypreos but I agree with him there.
I also agree. The US is easily the best team right now. If they play how they've been playing against Canada and Canada continues to play how they've been playing. The US will win.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Just because he's on the Crosby line doesn't mean it has to be the top line. I would start giving more ice time to Toews and Tavares and take some away from Crosby.
Yeah, expect Crosby has been better and has generated more offensive chances than either of those two.

If anything, Babcock should do the exact opposite. Crosby is the best player on team Canada, by a mile. Get his minutes up to 20+ per game and quit coaching like it's a Pee Wee 'A' team, where everyone's parents will be upset if their kid doesn't play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad