2013 New Jersey Devils (Team/Player Discussion)-Offseason FA and trade talk Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Henrique was on pace for more goals this year than in his rookie year. That was without Zach, and coming off an injury. He also got cold when pretty much the entire team got cold so I'm not about to single him out. I also really don't care who he played with in his rookie year, he put up 51 points for us and scored 2 of the most clutch goals in this franchises history.

The kid has been a big moment player at every level. You can't put a price tag on that. He's future captain material and is the epitome of what this organizations identity is. But we're complaining that 3.5 - 4 per would be too much, or even considering letting him walk via offer sheet when we have no forward except Zajac locked up long term? No thanks. Would rather keep Henrique and take the chance of him being a 1-1.5 mil per year overpayment than lose him for what could end up being nothing.

I've always found the “he's a product of†argument ridiculous too. About as ridiculous as “but he played with the Devils. He'll easily score eleventy bagillion more points per season with us now!!!†In junior he was “a product of Taylor Hall.†In the NHL he's “a product of Kovy and Parise.†Must've been a product of our highly talented Albany forwards when he got 25 goals 25 assists in 73 games as a rookie down there too. Crazy idea...maybe the kid is just talented??

I think he's great, will get even better, and really don't wanna lose him. I'd match a 4 mil offer, but I don't think we'll have to. And pointing to the fact that he played with 2 allstars doesn't mean I don't think he's good. Just that his stats may have been a tinge inflated. He's played 1.5 seasons, lets not call him future captain just yet.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think Henrique gets any more on this contract than Zajac got on his second contract which was $3.75 million I believe. I don't really think he even gets that much.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
I think he's great, will get even better, and really don't wanna lose him. I'd match a 4 mil offer, but I don't think we'll have to. And pointing to the fact that he played with 2 allstars doesn't mean I don't think he's good. Just that his stats may have been a tinge inflated. He's played 1.5 seasons, lets not call him future captain just yet.

Never said he will absolutely be the future captain. Just that his leadership abilities are evident to anyone who's even watched a handful of his games. He could very easily be a captain in this league.

apice3*

Scored clutch goal after clutch goal and has been a captain at every level of hockey he's ever played, aside from the AHL.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
What did he do that showed leadership?

He backs down from no one - fought Jarome Iginla as a rookie. Comes through in the clutch time and time again. He plays exactly the way the Devils have always wanted their forwards to play - strong two way ability. He's a player that can set a standard for many years in that regard, and has proven he can produce as a top 6 player. He's a pro on and off the ice, conducts himself with class. He can play on the pp or pk.

And as apice said, he's been a captain before.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Being a captain of a junior league team doesn't mean much. I think it's just that he scored some clutch goals. We have no idea who the leaders are in the locker room(other than Marty and patty). I think the leadership people are seeing is just a product of some clutch goals and nothing more. How do we know ryan carter isn't a leader? Or Andy Greene?

apice3*

If you watch the team, listen to interview, and read TG's articles, you can get a good feel for who the leaders are. Andy Greene was a rotating alternate so he's up there. Carter actually stands out as well among bottom 6 players. You can kind of tell who the players gravitate to.

Xegiie

Oct 21, 2011
Czech republic
I just hope Jagr isn't gonna dick us around. Didn't he promise Mario he'd sign with the Penguins two years ago, and then went off to the Flyers? I remember some kind of controversy involved in that.

On a more positive note though, I think we have a better chance of Jagr than Brunner. We've heard much more about Jagr than we have Brunner.
yes you are right, BUT look at it from Jagrs point of view, ill help you, yes he is playing his last career years, but he still felt/feels he can contribute and he wants to play and contribute.
What did Pens offer to Jagr?
1-1,5millions dont remember exactly, no PPs and 3rd or 4th line.
they basicly offered him he can finish his last season with them...

but Jagr was not done, didnt want just sit on bench.. then came flyers who offered him 3 millions, PP time and 1st line with Giroux!
exactly what Jagr needed... what would you chose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad