2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Officer Rod Farva

Pump is Life
Feb 12, 2010
I don't think people are afraid of Janssen or Barch. It's not like they are out there throwing big hits. They lug around the ice for 5 mins a game fight the goon on the other team and then sit on the bench the rest of the game. Gionta is more threatening than those two.

Well yeah but how many times has somebody thrown a cheap shot in while they were in? Im all for double shifting for them too

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I'm excited to see what Bobby Butler can add. We need a scoring winger and Tedenby just isn't going to cut it apparently. He's AHL player of the week. 15 goals and 22 pts in 30 games.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Just thinking out loud about the roster:

Forwards:
Ilya Kovalchuk
Travis Zajac
Dainius Zubrus
Patrik Elias
Adam Henrique
Jacob Josefson
David Clarkson
Stephen Gionta
Steve Bernier
Ryan Carter
Cam Janssen
Krys Barch
Adam Henrique** Injured

Defensemen:
Anton Volchenkov
Mark Fayne
Adam Larsson
Andy Greene
Henrik Tallinder
Marek Zidlicky
Peter Harrold
Bryce Salvador

Albany Possible Callups:
Bobby Butler
Mattias Tedenby
Eric Gelinas
Alexander Urbom

Possible UFA Signing:
Petr Sykora

This team lost a heart and soul guy with Zach Parise. I miss his work ethic more than his offensive ability. The team also lost a big body and some offense from the third line with Ponikarovsky. Those things need to be replaced somehow.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Scott Gomez come back for a cheap number if the Habs buy him out. He had his best days here... would be kept in line with the organization we have and Scotty Stevens on the bench.

If Kristian Huselius is healthy, I would sign him... if he's not bring Sykora back!

How about everyone else? Looks like we have too many defenders and we need wingers... Thoughts? Ideas?

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I think in a compact season, everyone and their dog will get an opportunity if they are healthy and can produce anything.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Buyouts don't happen until offseason. You might see a guy like Sykora signed and that is it.

Add Butler and maybe Sykora and that is the roster until the trade deadline where you see where you are.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Buyouts don't happen until offseason. You might see a guy like Sykora signed and that is it.

Add Butler and maybe Sykora and that is the roster until the trade deadline where you see where you are.

So if no buyouts til the summer.. maybe we'll see a trade. One of Harrold, Greene, Tallinder, Volchenkov will be gone... maybe two of them.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Well yeah but how many times has somebody thrown a cheap shot in while they were in? Im all for double shifting for them too

Well you don't throw a cheap shot at someone who can't play.

Anyone else who wants the goons playing regularly in a short season after last playoffs is an idiot.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Well you don't throw a cheap shot at someone who can't play.

Anyone else who wants the goons playing regularly in a short season after last playoffs is an idiot.

I didn't even want to type Janssen/Barch's names on that roster I posted. We now have maybe the best fourth line in the league with with Carter-Gionta-Bernier.... sticking one of those two goons there would render it USELESS and be a waste of a roster space. Let Tedenby, Butler, Sykora, Random Signing platoon and keep those guys away.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Holy jeebus I totally forgot Stevens was gonna be on the bench! I think this had made me more excited than anything else I've heard so far. I'm not even sure why.

kiwidevil

So you say we miss the work ethic of Parise and Poni and want to sign Gomez?

I just hope Butler can step in a be a shooter. We have enough over passers in Kovy, Elias, Zajac in our top 6.

Kovy - Zajac - Butler
Elias - Henrique - Zubrus
Clarkson - Josefson - Pesonen/Tedenby
Carter - Gionta - Bernier

Last edited:

OOOOIIIO

Binary
Jul 25, 2010
Nashua, NH
So I look at the roster, I look at what we lost, I look at the coach we gained... Im not going to lie, Im pretty excited. We have a terror of a defensive coach leading a deep defensive core. We have center depth, we have both a physical and a play making 4th line, and we still have one of the most prolific scores in the league.

We may have lost a 'heart and soul' guy... but lets not forget Kovy leading this team 2 years ago. Add in the likes of Henrique now. I dont think that locker room will skip a beat.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If we didn't have defenseman out the ass, I'd love to see what Hrabarenka could do.

From what I understand he's impressed the hell out of everyone in Albany.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
If we didn't have defenseman out the ass, I'd love to see what Hrabarenka could do.

From what I understand he's impressed the hell out of everyone in Albany.

Playing 3 or 4 games a week may give him that opportunity.

I wish we had some more forward depth though.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
After thinking about it I can actually see Janssen being sent to Albany. If Tedenby comes up while Henrique is injured, and he impresses enough, and we need the skill, and scoring they won't send him back. I can see them sending Cam to Albany. I don't think he'd be too upset, but he's on a two way, and he knows what he signed up for.

Or a defensemen might just be traded away like we hoped. Even if we don't get a good forward it still opens up an extra roster space for a forward. If we don't make a trade though it will be interesting who sits. Aside from Harrold. A lot of expensive guys other than Larsson, and Fayne, and I really don't see either of them getting scratched healthy. And they shouldn't be.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice

David Clarkson on being UFA at season's end. "This is my last year there (on contract) and for me I’m just going to go out and play."

Sounds a little weird the ''This is my last year there'' part. Wonder how he said this when he said that to TG? He put the (On contract) part so hopefully it means nothing.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice Clarkson said he'd listen if Devils approached him about re-signing during season, but he hasn't really thought about that.

DO IT NOW LOU! One less guy to have to worry about.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Holy jeebus I totally forgot Stevens was gonna be on the bench! I think this had made me more excited than anything else I've heard so far. I'm not even sure why.

Same here. And then I got disappointed again that training camp is going to be so short. The thing I was most excited about with Stevens joining the staff was him working with Larsson. He is going to have less time to work with him for this season (be it training camp, or for the shortened/more compact schedule). At least he has been playing in the AHL and getting instruction/developing anyway. But still. I can't wait to see how much more he develops working with Stevens.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago

David Clarkson on being UFA at season's end. "This is my last year there (on contract) and for me I’m just going to go out and play."

Sounds a little weird the ''This is my last year there'' part. Wonder how he said this when he said that to TG? He put the (On contract) part so hopefully it means nothing.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice Clarkson said he'd listen if Devils approached him about re-signing during season, but he hasn't really thought about that.

I expect alot of guys around the league make it to UFA a brave new CBA to explore.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That would be cool if Larsson led all defensemen on our team in points this year. He scored a goal today in Albany, but I didn't see it. I think Zidlicky may get more points than him, but that's about it.

I had the feeling when we re signed Salvador a worst case scenario was the coaches had a short leash with Adam like they did late in the season, and could throw in the A for a little while. That definitely won't happen now.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ

Great... now I've gone from being ridiculously happy that hockey is back... to being worried on how I interpret quotes from players and thinking they won't come back. That was quick.

apice3*

I expect alot of guys around the league make it to UFA a brave new CBA to explore.

The CBA was rewritten to benefit players that re-sign with their team.

I think this CBA opens up a lot more sign-and-trades and trading FA rights. Personally I think fewer top tier players will test the UFA market in it's entirety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad