Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades, Proposals, and Free Agent Talk XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
NSH has zero need for Grabo.

Legwand, Fisher, Wilson as a top 3 for next year.

GRabo needs to go somewhere they need a #2.

Anaheim might be a destination. Dallas, Florida, Calgary, no matter where he ends up we will be eating good chunk of salary.

Wilson looks like a stud. HAs good size. But you need to change Grabs for something else.

They might even be interested in trading back for FRanson. They know him better than we do. THey have also had 2yrs to miss his steady play. He might be more valuable to NSH than anyone else just due to the familiarity.
You realize that Franson played two seasons there, and two here, right? So I don't really agree that they know him better than us. He was a better player this year than he was in Nashville, too. He's valuable to us.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I can guarantee you that not a single person on this board knew Phaneuf was available. Heck Even most GMs didnt know.

Gardiner was a prospect, so what? So is Coyle.

JVR, no one in the media said he was available.

My point is, players are available that we don't know about, and at prices we do not expect.

Your point is very valid. In this era of twitter, and the Internet in general, many people believe they are more informed than they actually are.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
My Leaf Off-Season

I don't like the Chicago and NYI deals. I think if you're Leiweke, you insist on Strome rather than Reinhart. IMO I'm not sold on Reinhart, but regardless of that, we need Strome, who by all accounts looks like he will step into the NHL next year. It's RDP, Strome and their 1st. It'll likely never happen, though.

As for the Chicago deal, call me crazy, but I'd rather see what Colborne has to offer, and move in a different direction - a direction that doesn't include Bozak @ north of $4m either.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
My off season game plan:

At the 2013 Entry draft:

To Colorado: Phil Kessel, Jake Gardiner, Mike Komisarek

To Toronto: Paul Statsny, Eric Johnson, Toronto's 4th round pick in 2013.

Nikolai Kulemin traded to the Buffalo Sabres along with the 21st pick for the 16th pick

Toronto drafts: Anthony Mantha

Mikhail Grabovksi is bought out, John Michael Liles is kept for another season.

In free agency: Sign Clowe, Ryder and Gordon. Clowe will sign for between 4-4.5 and Ryder signs for between 2.5 - 3, Gordon signs for a similar amount to McClement.

JVR-Statsny-Lupul
Clowe-Kadri-Ryder
McClement-Cobourne-Frattin
McLaren-Gordon-Orr

Phaneuf-Johnson
Gunnarson-Franson
Liles- Fraser
Holzer

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
My off season game plan:

At the 2013 Entry draft:

Nikolai Kulemin traded to the Buffalo Sabres along with the 21st pick for the 16th pick

In free agency: Sign Clowe, Ryder and Gordon. Clowe will sign for between 4-4.5 and Ryder signs for between 2.5 - 3, Gordon signs for a similar amount to McClement.

JVR-Statsny-Lupul
Clowe-Kadri-Ryder
McLaren-Gordon-Orr

Phaneuf-Johnson
Gunnarson-Franson
Liles- Fraser
Holzer

You just traded Kessel and Gardiner for Stastny and Johnson? What? That is crap value, plus, if you are going to trade those two, why not in separate trades. You could get a lot more splitting them up.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
My off season game plan:

At the 2013 Entry draft:

JVR-Statsny-Lupul
Clowe-Kadri-Ryder
McLaren-Gordon-Orr

Phaneuf-Johnson
Gunnarson-Franson
Liles- Fraser
Holzer

Wow, that's really bad.

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011
You just traded Kessel and Gardiner for Stastny and Johnson? What? That is crap value, plus, if you are going to trade those two, why not in separate trades. You could get a lot more splitting them up.

I know, that is Horrible. Really Horrible. The 2 best players are coming from the Leafs :amazed:

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario

You lose Komisarek, don't forget that. Eric Johnson would be a perfect fit alongside Phaneuf. Statsny proved at the WC that he can be a top line center if he has suitable players around him. He hasn't been the same since the Avs traded Stewart. Not crap value, both are capable first line players, who are mid aged. Plus, Johnson is signed to a good cap deal. It works with the cap, improves the defense and center. There is no other way to get what the Leafs need. Besides, I think Kessel will leave via free agency once Bozak is gone. Considering that, the deal works and makes sense.

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011
I don't like the Chicago and NYI deals. I think if you're Leiweke, you insist on Strome rather than Reinhart. IMO I'm not sold on Reinhart, but regardless of that, we need Strome, who by all accounts looks like he will step into the NHL next year. It's RDP, Strome and their 1st. It'll likely never happen, though.

As for the Chicago deal, call me crazy, but I'd rather see what Colborne has to offer, and move in a different direction - a direction that doesn't include Bozak @ north of $4m either.

I honestly dont think NYI gives up Strome for anything. Reinhart is the next best asset to grab and would pair nicely with Morgan to one day be our top pair.

I like Colborne, but I love what Bolland brings to the table more, for the present.

I don't want to re-sign Bozak, but it is next to impossible to get a #1 center, and he does have chemistry with Kessel and Lupul, and having a 2nd line of JVR-Kadri-Iginla is nasty IMO. Size and scoring. Lupul-Bozak-Kessel will still be great IMO. 2 great scoring lines with a lot of nasty in the bottom 2 lines.

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011
You lose Komisarek, don't forget that. Eric Johnson would be a perfect fit alongside Phaneuf. Statsny proved at the WC that he can be a top line center if he has suitable players around him. He hasn't been the same since the Avs traded Stewart. Not crap value, both are capable first line players, who are mid aged. Plus, Johnson is signed to a good cap deal. It works with the cap, improves the defense and center. There is no other way to get what the Leafs need. Besides, I think Kessel will leave via free agency once Bozak is gone. Considering that, the deal works and makes sense.

No offense but the deal doesn't make sense. If it included Liles or Grabovski then maybe, but Komisarek's contract is done at the end of the year. Having the cap space for this year alone, with no free agents to get is not even close to worth it. If they got rid of a bad contract with multiple years then maybe, but even then it is still a bad trade. If it was Stastny and the 1st overall, then you make the trade

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

funny-gif-Conan-O-Brien-clapping.gif

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I honestly dont think NYI gives up Strome for anything. Reinhart is the next best asset to grab and would pair nicely with Morgan to one day be our top pair.

I like Colborne, but I love what Bolland brings to the table more, for the present.

I don't want to re-sign Bozak, but it is next to impossible to get a #1 center, and he does have chemistry with Kessel and Lupul, and having a 2nd line of JVR-Kadri-Iginla is nasty IMO. Size and scoring. Lupul-Bozak-Kessel will still be great IMO. 2 great scoring lines with a lot of nasty in the bottom 2 lines.

Hard to sell a $30 million investment on a non-urgent team need. Reinhart is a good prospect but not one worth the cost IMO. Since it's not my money I'd take it rather than leaving it, but if I'm the one signing the cheques I can't see Reinhart putting nearly as much money back in my pocket as I can Strome, which is why I insist on him over Reinhart.

I think we're better off going after Weiss or Ribiero on short-term deals than signing Bozak at this point.

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011
Hard to sell a $30 million investment on a non-urgent team need. Reinhart is a good prospect but not one worth the cost IMO. Since it's not my money I'd take it rather than leaving it, but if I'm the one signing the cheques I can't see Reinhart putting nearly as much money back in my pocket as I can Strome, which is why I insist on him over Reinhart.

I think we're better off going after Weiss or Ribiero on short-term deals than signing Bozak at this point.

Weiss and Ribiero are looking for retirement contract. 4-5 years at least, at probably 5-6 million per year. Plus they are older. I take Bozak at 4.25 for 4 than Weiss at 5.5 for 5 or 6 years.

And trust me, I would love to add Strome, he could be a #1 center one day, but I just don't think the Isles would part with him. And honeslty, who cares about the money, we don't pay the checks. Let MLSE cough up some money for once for making us wait almost 10 years for the playoffs

SnipeCheeseAllDay

Jan 16, 2007
Toronto
my off season game plan:

At the 2013 entry draft:

To colorado: Phil kessel, jake gardiner, mike komisarek

to toronto: Paul statsny, eric johnson, toronto's 4th round pick in 2013.

Nikolai kulemin traded to the buffalo sabres along with the 21st pick for the 16th pick

toronto drafts: Anthony mantha

mikhail grabovksi is bought out, john michael liles is kept for another season.

In free agency: Sign clowe, ryder and gordon. Clowe will sign for between 4-4.5 and ryder signs for between 2.5 - 3, gordon signs for a similar amount to mcclement.

Jvr-statsny-lupul
clowe-kadri-ryder
mcclement-cobourne-frattin
mclaren-gordon-orr

phaneuf-johnson
gunnarson-franson
liles- fraser
holzer
lol! Please just stop.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Weiss and Ribiero are looking for retirement contract. 4-5 years at least, at probably 5-6 million per year. Plus they are older. I take Bozak at 4.25 for 4 than Weiss at 5.5 for 5 or 6 years.

And trust me, I would love to add Strome, he could be a #1 center one day, but I just don't think the Isles would part with him. And honeslty, who cares about the money, we don't pay the checks. Let MLSE cough up some money for once for making us wait almost 10 years for the playoffs

With respect, you're just assuming Weiss is looking for a retirement contract, but at 30 years old, no one's chomping at the bit to hand the guy a 7 year contract. We need a #1 centre, and Bozak at $4.25 is NOT that guy. If that means we have to spend some time with neither, at least we'll have the capspace available when one does become available. We sign Bozak and we have the 2 most overpaid 2nd/3rd line centers in the game.

It's a horrible strategy.

And yes, we don't care about the money, but the guys who sign the cheques and make the decisions, they do. So if we're trying to emulate with some semblance of accuracy/reality, we should attempt as best we can to do what they do, think how they think, etc.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I have a contract question.

Hypothetical situation: You want to re-sign Kessel right now. You know that he's worth a $7M/year contract. You want him for a less cap hit.

Could Nonis: sign him now for $7M for 8 years. Then compliance buy him out. Kessel then receives 2/3 of his contract ($4.67M per year for 8 years). You then sign him to an 8 year contract for a $2.33M per year for 8 years contract ($7M total salary, $2.33M cap hit)

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
My off season game plan:

At the 2013 Entry draft:

JVR-Statsny-Lupul
Clowe-Kadri-Ryder
McLaren-Gordon-Orr

Phaneuf-Johnson
Gunnarson-Franson
Liles- Fraser
Holzer

lol thank god your not the gm..

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Hypothetical situation: You want to re-sign Kessel right now. You know that he's worth a $7M/year contract. You want him for a less cap hit.

Could Nonis: sign him now for $7M for 8 years. Then compliance buy him out. Kessel then receives 2/3 of his contract ($4.67M per year for 8 years). You then sign him to an 8 year contract for a $2.33M per year for 8 years contract ($7M total salary, $2.33M cap hit)

You can't re-sign a player you just bought out - minimum 1 year. Not to mention the penalties that would be imposed on you for blatant cap circumvention.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

No.

If you use a compliance buyout on a player, he cannot re-join the team that bought him out for a year.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
My off season game plan:

At the 2013 Entry draft:

JVR-Statsny-Lupul
Clowe-Kadri-Ryder
McLaren-Gordon-Orr

Phaneuf-Johnson
Gunnarson-Franson
Liles- Fraser
Holzer

Lol absolutely brutal dude.

Gardiner > Johnson (younger, cheaper, way more upside, and gardiner is on the upswing while Johnson appears to be regressing)
Kessel > Stastny (by a country mile right now)

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Lol absolutely brutal dude.

Gardiner > Johnson (younger, cheaper, way more upside, and gardiner is on the upswing while Johnson appears to be regressing)
Kessel > Stastny (by a country mile right now)

4th round pick is the great equalizer.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
So Malkin's locked up.... no chance there (not like there was any). Might sway a few people to perhaps give up just a little more to get into the top-10 this year.

Horvat/Monahan/Lindholm/might be worth it.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
So Malkin's locked up.... no chance there (not like there was any). Might sway a few people to perhaps give up just a little more to get into the top-10 this year.

Horvat/Monahan/Lindholm/might be worth it.

Horvat is the type of C this team needs. I would absolutely love it if the Leafs can somehow manage to move up and grab him. He's the most plausible of the three you mentioned.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Horvat is the type of C this team needs. I would absolutely love it if the Leafs can somehow manage to move up and grab him. He's the most plausible of the three you mentioned.

Wonder what taking Bryzgalov's contract does to entice Philly to hand us their 11th overall? It would have to include Couturier somehow.

RDP
Strome
15th

is to NYI what

Bryz
Couturier
11th

is to Philly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events