Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Streit going to free agency

NHL on TSN ‏@NHLonTSN 2h

Newsday reporting Mark Streit will not return to the New York Islanders next season. #TSN

Do we have interest? If we do, I hope its no more then 2 years.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Griffin Reinhardt + 1st instead of Strome?

i'd take it. but i'd prefer strome. good ol' local kid. we needs centers than dmen.

it's still a pipe dream that the islanders will give us strome or reinhart for taking dipietro's contract.

i have a feeling its the first round pick from this year and some random prospect.

i know 24mil is a lot of money but i just can't see a top prospect going the other way. then again, i don't know how desperate charles wang is...

also, other than toronto, which teams can swallow his buyout? rangers?

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
He is really really really not needed. Literally the opposite of everything we need on D, especially at the price he'll ask.

Pros:

- 40-50 pt OFD
- plays the left side
- Veteran experience, former captain
- Quick, great puck mover

Cons:

- Aging
- Defensive question marks
- High contract
- Soft

If we're in a position to afford the caphit of approx $10m spread over 2 seasons, might be good for us. Huge upgrade over Robidas, capable top-pairing, interim acquisition while Reilly et all continue their development.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Brian Burke left us in an ideal place for next season loads of cap space no used buyouts..

Rangers have spent to max

Problem is for teams they have to carry DP contract for a year and he does not play thats 4m a year added to cap

We have room

Other teams who have room our low cap teams

Were the only game in town i think on this

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If RDP's contract is a Stumbling block for selling the NYI, why wouldn't Wang just buy him out? Guy's got a ton of dough right?

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
If RDP's contract is a Stumbling block for selling the NYI, why wouldn't Wang just buy him out? Guy's got a ton of dough right?

Cause it is 24 million and the whole team is only worth 150 million?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

$24 million is still a ton of dough for a guy with a ton of dough...

beer123

Nov 15, 2009
Brian Burke left us in an ideal place for next season loads of cap space no used buyouts..

Rangers have spent to max

Problem is for teams they have to carry DP contract for a year and he does not play thats 4m a year added to cap

We have room

Other teams who have room our low cap teams

Were the only game in town i think on this

Leafs have to re-sign 7 of their RFAs whose likely to see increase in salaries. They have 5 other UFAs they either have to re-sign or let go and sign some other UFA to fill the roster spots.

Leafs are not in that good of a position to swallow DP's contract.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Matias Strozyk: Agent said that 3 NHL teams are interested in Jimmie Ericsson.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=1103

Should we be interested in this player, I don't know anything about him but with 3 NHL teams interested, maybe someone has a take on him?

Spelarprofil på svenska
A two-way center, Ericsson can play wing as well. Has fine leadership qualities. Plays a gritty game and skates well. He also has a good, quick shot which he can fire in full flight. Likes to go to the hard areas.

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Leafs have to re-sign 7 of their RFAs whose likely to see increase in salaries. They have 5 other UFAs they either have to re-sign or let go and sign some other UFA to fill the roster spots.

Leafs are not in that good of a position to swallow DP's contract.

One has nothing to do with the other. DiPietro would be a compliance buyout and therefore have no cap implications.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Let me clear this up here a little

Wang wants out..the team is worth more if the $ 28m anchor is gone and not a liability on purchase..

[mod]

Buying out DP costs Wang $$$$

Trading DP and sending assets to make it happen costs Wang ZERO!!!! And raises the value of the team for a sale..

He would be a fool to buyout DP when he is selling the team

Last edited by a moderator:

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Doesn't it cost Wang $1.5 mil per year to buyout DP?

I've read that the compliance buyouts are paid over the term of the contract. So Wang doesn't have to pay $24 mil up front. It's spread out and works out to $1.5 per year.

That is pretty manageable if u ask me (even to prospective new owners)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Doesn't it cost Wang $1.5 mil per year to buyout DP?

I've read that the compliance buyouts are paid over the term of the contract. So Wang doesn't have to pay $24 mil up front. It's spread out and works out to $1.5 per year.

That is pretty manageable if u ask me (even to prospective new owners)

It's still 24M to get rid of an asset. Not to mention bad for a sale. Paying someone 1.5M for 16 years to NOT be associated with you would be a hard sell to new owners

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
It's still 24M to get rid of an asset. Not to mention bad for a sale. Paying someone 1.5M for 16 years to NOT be associated with you would be a hard sell to new owners

That is nothing for NHL teams. When teams are paying operating costs around 50-100 million....$1.5 is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That is nothing for NHL teams. When teams are paying operating costs around 50-100 million....$1.5 is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

24M to get rid of an asset.

That is what the owners look at it as.

We can say "well, it's only 1.5M..." but they will be paying 24M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes