2013 Draft Thread

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Hey, they all got drafted so they all bring more than one good thing:).

Not necessarily. Getting drafted doesn't automatically translate to QMJHL success - trust me the commentators said it 1000 times during the draft :laugh: plenty of 1 dimensional players are drafted every year, especially kids who can skate with limited hockey IQ (Especially 17 year olds with a little bit of size on stacked teams)

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I guess we have to be careful about what we hear and say as everyone has a different opinion and we have to consider the source. I hear from someone that is close to the coach that that group were all good kids with good characters. Your cousin must not like Kosik which is surprising because his head coach and the coaching staff thinks he is a great kid. He is quiet and gets along well with everyone.

I'm confused why you asked about LSL guys if you know the coaches opinions of the players already?

Cedream

Apr 21, 2013
Saint-Eustache
Not a bad assessment of each guy but McFalls was healthy all year except the last month causing him to miss the playoffs and dodge cup. His injury cost his team the playoffs and a chance to have a good run at the didge cup. He was far and away the teams best all around player. Hockey Sense, strong skater, great vision, team guy, rocket shot, very responsible.

Sprong, nothing more to be said, his offensive talent is all that and a bag of chips. His D zone needs LOTS of work.

Butler, his size on D doesnt help him but he's great with the puck and has lightning quick speed. Yes he can improve his Dzone but he doesnt put his team in trouble

Does not agree with that statement. It did not help them, but they could and they should have win it easy without im!

And for the Sprong defensive game, cant really say he need to work it cause its just not there, he just need to start to play in d zone :laugh:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Let's keep the talk in here about the hockey and what recognized, legitimate sources have to say about the prospects. Negative opinions about the personalities of players based on personal contact/knowledge of prospects is not allowed here and will be deleted. You are not recognized and vetted media and we cannot recognize you as sources. Personal opinions about their on-ice talent is of course allowed.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
Does not agree with that statement. It did not help them, but they could and they should have win it easy without im!

And for the Sprong defensive game, cant really say he need to work it cause its just not there, he just need to start to play in d zone :laugh:

I saw 47 of the 48 games the Tigers played this year, I know how the team played, I know what the strengths and weaknesses of the team, I know exactly how a team had to play to beat the Tigers, trust me, Dove-McFalls out of their lineup was the biggest lost possible.

Cedream

Apr 21, 2013
Saint-Eustache
I saw 47 of the 48 games the Tigers played this year, I know how the team played, I know what the strengths and weaknesses of the team, I know exactly how a team had to play to beat the Tigers, trust me, Dove-McFalls out of their lineup was the biggest lost possible.

You may be right. But even without im*, they were still a pretty good team. They lost in the playoff final to seigneur des milles-iles lol!

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
You may be right. But even without them, they were still a pretty good team. They lost in the playoff final to seigneur des milles-iles lol!

SMI was one of, if not the best coached teams in the province. Mr. Daoust has a very extended track record and knows the game very well. Also knows how to get the best out of his players.

At the end of the day, a good team or not, the Tigers players are 15/16 year old kids who knew they were playing a lesser opponent that they beat all year. Very cocky going into the game, scored on their first shift, I guarentee you they thought it was going to be a very easy game.

However, like I said, Coach Daoust had his boys ready to compete because they had nothing to lose. They did what they had to do and Viboux did the rest in nets. (With a little bit of luck on the last second penalty shot to Sprong who lost the puck with a wide open net)

Cedream

Apr 21, 2013
Saint-Eustache
SMI was one of, if not the best coached teams in the province. Mr. Daoust has a very extended track record and knows the game very well. Also knows how to get the best out of his players.

At the end of the day, a good team or not, the Tigers players are 15/16 year old kids who knew they were playing a lesser opponent that they beat all year. Very cocky going into the game, scored on their first shift, I guarentee you they thought it was going to be a very easy game.

However, like I said, Coach Daoust had his boys ready to compete because they had nothing to lose. They did what they had to do and Viboux did the rest in nets. (With a little bit of luck on the last second penalty shot to Sprong who lost the puck with a wide open net)

I probably know has much on SMI that you know on Tigers!

But i agree with you, Daoust was a really good coach. I believe he outcoached Tigers coach and this is what gave them the game, all about is gameplan. Still tigers took them easy (like almost every team who played SMI in the playoff), and in the 3rd they were unlucky and Viboux was solid. But SMI was really not a ''good team'' on paper, i think that the underdog factof play a lot for them and , like i said before, there gameplan.

And yeah i was a the game and after the first goal everybody in the crowd was like thast gonna be when a long game :laugh:

But to me that game was almost a miracle on ice!

all good*

Espoir has never been weaker. The weakest it has been in ten years. Any Q team that drafted a playere based on what he did in that league is taking a big chance. Dove Mcfalls got called up once I believe to AAA and looked lost

Cedream

Apr 21, 2013
Saint-Eustache
Espoir has never been weaker. The weakest it has been in ten years. Any Q team that drafted a playere based on what he did in that league is taking a big chance. Dove Mcfalls got called up once I believe to AAA and looked lost

Personally i think last years was weaker...

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

Wasn't William Carrier drafted out of Espoir in the 4th round?

Hockey for life

May 23, 2013
You are wrong Dove Mcfalls never was called up to the AAA

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal

so you saw McFalls play AAA this year?
please tell me which team he played for....who did they play against?

...............stop talking when you dont know what your saying, please!

Last edited:

fwed

Nov 18, 2008
Drummondville
Does anyone had information about Cameron Askew, the guy that drummond have pick in the first round?

What kind of player he is?
His talent compare with the other first rounder?

Thank you.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
:banghead:

I acknowledged two days ago that there was potential for something significantly positive to come from this if all the chips fall into place - all I'm saying is there's huge risk involved and you still don't seem to acknowledge it.

You think a 5th overall pick & 39th overall pick is fair value if Roy decides to bail? I'd say no, seeing as there were players similar to his skill (you can say consensus #1 but it's not near the gap CB is making it sound like).

You can't ignore the risks just because there could be potential positives. I acknowledged the potential positives loooooooooooooong ago :laugh: you just refuse to read my posts through 100%

The sarcasm was obviously missed - I figured saying "how lazy" would replace the sarcasm button but I guess not. No need to be so smug.

On another note, I'm a bit confused about the compensation now because I've seen dozens of articles that state that if Roy is traded between Sept 5-15th CB gets the #5 & #38 picks + whatever they get in the trade. Others have said it's not the case and that's only if he doesn't report and they release his rights (I donno how a #5 is compensation for a #1 not reporting but ok. Then articles are still being printed with that original info in it that if he's traded in that window they still get the compensation.

Can anyone clarify with a reliable source?

I don't have a reliable source for this, but I am also under the impression that the league changed the rules involving compensation after Carl Neill refused to report to Val D'Or and they traded him to Sherbrooke for a 1st, 2nd, and 7th plus got the leagues compensation package.

My understanding is similar to Clem's. As of this season, you have to relinquish a players rights in order to receive compensation. It's no longer simply having a player not report.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Does anyone had information about Cameron Askew, the guy that drummond have pick in the first round?

What kind of player he is?
His talent compare with the other first rounder?

Thank you.

Apparently he is right up there with the top 97 born USA players. The volts claimed to have considered him among the draft's elite along with the Roy's, Noel, and Beauvillier.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I don't have a reliable source for this, but I am also under the impression that the league changed the rules involving compensation after Carl Neill refused to report to Val D'Or and they traded him to Sherbrooke for a 1st, 2nd, and 7th plus got the leagues compensation package.

My understanding is similar to Clem's. As of this season, you have to relinquish a players rights in order to receive compensation. It's no longer simply having a player not report.

Best thing I found was this:
http://m.theqmjhl.ca/article/board-of-governors-changes-draft-compensation-guidelines/116425

that's from last February and it says the rule applies to picks 1 through 4. Carl Neill was drafted 9th overall. Donno if that difference means the rule change wouldn't apply to the top 4 picks but it would be odd that there would be nothing to be found on the internet about a rule change other than on hfboards (wouldn't be the first time we hear of rule changes that don't exist on hfboards lol)

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Best thing I found was this:
http://m.theqmjhl.ca/article/board-of-governors-changes-draft-compensation-guidelines/116425

that's from last February and it says the rule applies to picks 1 through 4. Carl Neill was drafted 9th overall. Donno if that difference means the rule change wouldn't apply to the top 4 picks but it would be odd that there would be nothing to be found on the internet about a rule change other than on hfboards (wouldn't be the first time we hear of rule changes that don't exist on hfboards lol)

I guess we'll find out by September 15th one way or the other.

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
he will be traded to val d'or or Rouyn noranda. He will be playing in the league in september..... i'd bet on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad