Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Part II: All Aboard the Nichushkin Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
This will be the first draft in almost 10 years I won't be able to follow. I'm working all day and won't have access to a computer and can't really be on my phone.

Anyone know if there's a radio station I can listen on?

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
On a side note, why is it on a Sunday this year?

I would assume it's on a Sunday so that they can do the entire draft in one day, rather than spread over multiple days. Starting at 3PM on a Sunday is much more fan-friendly than on a weekday.

All on one day because of the lockout, of course...

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I just noticed a short while ago that I have Sunday off for the draft (which I asked off) and also have the first day of free agency off as well. Even if the Canes don't do anything, seeing a flurry of activity (or things such as Sergei Bobrovtree if there's a shortage of activity) is always entertaining at a time where there isn't much going on in the sports world.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I am involved in a hockey league here on HF that includes a lot of really smart hockey people and draft nuts and it made me realize how deep this draft actually is.... and it's deeper than I had initially thought. I noticed that selections into the late 70's were players who were potentially impact guys. We're going to have 3 swings in that group if not more. I am just as excited about 35th and 65th as I have been for any other first rounder in a normal year.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
I agree that this draft is insanely deep. Lots of first round talent. I have no doubt the player we select at 35 will be pretty good unless we completely go off the board Paradis style. There's about 10-20 guys I'd be happy with at 35.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
My 35th: Fucale, Petan, Santini, Heatherington, de la Rose
65th: Baptiste, Poirier, Buchnevich, Vanelli, Subban, Kujawinski

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If JR does his patented swing and miss in the 2nd and beyond I'm going to be pissed.

While the jury is still out on many of them, is it fair to categorize JR's recent 2nd round picks as swings and misses? They all seemed like reasonable to good picks at the time IMO and I wouldn't be surprised if at least half of them (or more) become solid NHL players.

McBain, Dumoulin, Dalpe, Faulk, Alt, Rask, Di Guiseppe

While the chances of a 3rd rounder or later becoming a regular NHL player is pretty low, it is kind of depressing that the only recent pick later than the 2nd round that received any regular playing time with Carolina is Bowman. Then there were two later round picks where it seemed like JR might have struck gold (Anderson and Hofmann) and both wouldn't sign.

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
don't know if this was answered... but does anyone know where the draft may be streaming online or on the radio? I'm currently in England, but still want to listen!

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
While the jury is still out on many of them, is it fair to categorize JR's recent 2nd round picks as swings and misses? They all seemed like reasonable to good picks at the time IMO and I wouldn't be surprised if at least half of them (or more) become solid NHL players.

McBain, Dumoulin, Dalpe, Faulk, Alt, Rask, Di Guiseppe

While the chances of a 3rd rounder or later becoming a regular NHL player is pretty low, it is kind of depressing that the only recent pick later than the 2nd round that received any regular playing time with Carolina is Bowman. Then there were two later round picks where it seemed like JR might have struck gold (Anderson and Hofmann) and both wouldn't sign.

It seems like he has done better lately, but aside from Faulk and McBain, none of them are NHLers yet (and McBain seemingly only barely) so we can't say for certain. We all thought he hit a home run with Dalpe but he hasn't cemented a spot yet 5 years later.

Bowman's draft and prior features an eye-popping amount of misses.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
My only fear is that Scotty Walker has another 4th-5th round talent that he's in love with (and therefore JR is in love with) and we waste another 2nd on said player.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
Not a glowing profile of Nurse today at all. Safe to say, judging by that, no chance in hell we take him.

Good news... Probably the scariest pick the Canes could have made, IMO. His hockey sense is questioned and a lot of guides have him ranked pretty low.

Wonder who the final player will be.

I will guess Shinkaruk due to the likelihood of taking a forward. Ristolainen or Zadorov wouldn't shock me though.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
TB buying out Vinny may mean Barkov goes to the bad guys.

If that's the case I would put 40% chance of Nashville taking Lindholm at 4 which leaves Drouin/Jones to the Canes.

(Edit) Poile said yesterday he'd take Jones if he fell to 4.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
If Drouin falls to 4 or 5, it would represent awesome value there. But I can't see TB passing on him just because Vinny is gone.

These mock drafts I'm looking at all have the big 4 going in order with most having Nichushkin going to us. Drafts never really go that way, so I can't wait for Sunday to get here. I have a feeling there might be some fireworks. I just hope JR is ready when a Drouin or Jones falls to us because it may very well happen. He was ready when Murphy fell to us but he was totally checked out and unprepared the year we took Knyasev.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Chip mentioned today in his Barkov profile that the prevailing wisdom lately has been Tampa will take Barkov. The Vinny buyout has to cement that. So I guess we're looking at Drouin as the only potential top 4 guy available at our spot.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
yeah based on this:
1 - Mac
2 - tossup (Jones or Drouin)
3 - Barkov
4 - Jones if he's there. If not then Drouin or Monahan
5 - Nichushkin or Drouin

WhiteTrashAmerican

WHY DID IT END
Nov 14, 2007
Durham, NC
Chip mentioned today in his Barkov profile that the prevailing wisdom lately has been Tampa will take Barkov. The Vinny buyout has to cement that. So I guess we're looking at Drouin as the only potential top 4 guy available at our spot.

Col- Mackinnon
Florida-Jones/Drouin
Tampa-Barkov
Nashville-Jones/ Drouin

I just don't see it happening. Our only shot was Tampa taking Nich really. MAYBE if it goes Mac, Jones, Barkov Nashville will take Lindholm/Nich/Monahan. I doubt it very much though. We will have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad