Prospect Info: 2013 Draft [Part 8]: Unsolved Mysteries: MacKinnon, Drouin or Barkov? 4 Days Remain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
RoR better be trying to earn back our trust not the other way around.

We have no idea what happened behind closed doors to lead to what happened. His initial asking price may of been entirely reasonable.

If I'm a valuable asset where I work and get to negotiate salary, I go for the best I can get, especially contract length. The difference is if they let me walk I may not have 29 other companies waiting with offers.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I'm assuming Roy has seen that O'reilly has done well as a winger while Duchene has only thrived as a center.

TBH I'd much rather keep O'reilly at center and move Stas to Mack's wing:

McGinn - duchene - PAP
stasnty - mack - jones
landy - oreilly - downie

This. Exactly this

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
The term is "Best Player Available" is open to interpretation.

Why can't he or I still believe Seth Jones is the BPA? There's nothing wrong with that. Why do the people who believe Seth Jones is the BPA have to change their opinion based on some scouts?

I have accepted the idea of drafting MacKinnon, and I look forward to seeing him light up the scoreboard...still doesn't mean that I still don't believe that Seth Jones is the BPA.

Again, there's nothing wrong with that.

I really don't know who the best player available is, and those that have a firm opinion have to acknowledge as you did that it's open to interpretation... even down the road when we see what they develop into, let alone now.

Also there's a certain intelligence in acknowledging the obvious uncertain nature of projections. When some posters here refuse to acknowledge it and beat their chest screaming their projections are facts, there's an unfortunate, gaping void where the thing resembling intelligence should be.

Regardless of whomever is in whoever's opinion is the best player available now or in the future, the one argument in the whole draft that I really disagree with is the automatic downgrading of defensemen because of the position they play. I hate to think the Avs brass has bought into that. It's fine for armchair posters and bloggers. It's worrisome for people who have to make the actual decisions to get this team in a position to contend for the Stanley Cup.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
We have no idea what happened behind closed doors to lead to what happened. His initial asking price may of been entirely reasonable.

If I'm a valuable asset where I work and get to negotiate salary, I go for the best I can get, especially contract length. The difference is if they let me walk I may not have 29 other companies waiting with offers.

Regardless of whether or not he was justified in his actions, I would bet most Avs fans are very unhappy about what transpired and place a decent amount of blame on him. If you take a poll, I bet most fans would say that they don't think or at least question whether or not O'Reilly is dedicated to this team. He used to be a fan-favorite. While he doesn't owe us anything, if he is unwilling to do what is best for this team (e.g., play on Duchene's wing), you don't think that will be a huge issue with fans let alone management?

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
I'm assuming Roy has seen that O'reilly has done well as a winger while Duchene has only thrived as a center.

TBH I'd much rather keep O'reilly at center and move Stas to Mack's wing:

McGinn - duchene - PAP
stasnty - mack - jones
landy - oreilly - downie

Keep Jones away from Mack. I'd swap Downie and Jones maybe.

Based on what Roy has said thus far, this is what I want.. Not sure which I prefer to be honest.

O'Reilly-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-Stastny-Jones
McGinn-Mackinnon-Downie

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
I think Mack and Stastny would be a awesome combo. Pair the vet with the rookie, Mack is a shoot first guy and we all know what Stastny is.

Christian Litscher

May 24, 2010
I will admit I wanted Seth Jones, but if Pracey(one of the better scouts out there), Roy(seen Mackinnon extensively), Sakic(HOF center) all like Mackinnon, then **** take Mackinnon. No one in our division will be able to match Duchene/Mackinnon at center(don't trade Chicago Stastny).

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think Mack and Stastny would be a awesome combo. Pair the vet with the rookie, Mack is a shoot first guy and we all know what Stastny is.

Yeah, I wonder how long Roy's idea of O'Reilly on the wing will last. Stastny & Mack together just makes so much sense. Maybe it will only last until Stastny is resigned lol.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Yeah, I wonder how long Roy's idea of O'Reilly on the wing will last. Stastny & Mack together just makes so much sense. Maybe it will only last until Stastny is resigned lol.

Watch Roy/Sakic and Co. just say screw it, sign Bozak and play:

O'Reilly-Duchene-Parenteau
Stastny-MacKinnon-Landeskog
McGinn-Bozak-Downie

and then whoever is left. Why? Because we'll have all the C's hahahahahaha!!!

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Watch Roy/Sakic and Co. just say screw it, sign Bozak and play:

O'Reilly-Duchene-Parenteau
Stastny-MacKinnon-Landeskog
McGinn-Bozak-Downie

and then whoever is left. Why? Because we'll have all the C's hahahahahaha!!!

The bad part is... I like that lol. I'd pay Bozak 4M a year all freakin day and run this roster before seeing D. Jones on the roster.

People would think we were insane, Colorado would have five top 6 centers when some teams can't even get two lol.

I'm kind of irritated they probably won't go after Horton, hes a perfect fit as a finisher and a big nasty winger. Imagine a Stastny - Mack - Horton line. Bah...

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Poile:

"Poile did say Tuesday that he has already received what he described as “incredible†and “legitimately good offers†for the No. 4 pick."

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Poile:

"Poile did say Tuesday that he has already received what he described as “incredible†and “legitimately good offers†for the No. 4 pick."

Probably Philly if Jones falls. Couturier+11th for 4th. Philly gets Jones, Nashville gets a big center with lots of potential, plus an additional good player at 11.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Probably Philly if Jones falls. Couturier+11th for 4th. Philly gets Jones, Nashville gets a big center with lots of potential, plus an additional good player at 11.

I think we could top it. I know Dater is just speculating, but he really expects a big splash. I think a big splash would be getting that number 4 pick.

If Jones falls to 4, I expect a conversation/deal to be worked out between colorado and nashville already, and the trigger will be pulled IF Jones falls to 4. I'm sure other teams will have deals in place if Drouin or Barkov fall.

Stastny(reuinited with smith) + Elliott/Sgarbo + 32nd overall + 2014 first for #4.

It's surpasses value needed to get a number 4 pick. Without Staz on our team next year that pick could be top 5 anyway. Nashville could potentially get Stastny (who may want to stay there full time after next season) who is a first line centre. A potential second paring dman or second line forward in one of Sgarbo/Elliott. The 32nd pick in this years draft and a potential top 10 next year.

It's a lot to give up but we get a player we need long term in Jones.

We walk out of draft day with Nathan Mackinnon AND Seth Jones.

Edit: Just saw this exact proposal in a different thread lol.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I think we could top it. I know Dater is just speculating, but he really expects a big splash. I think a big splash would be getting that number 4 pick.

If Jones falls to 4, I expect a conversation/deal to be worked out between colorado and nashville already, and the trigger will be pulled IF Jones falls to 4. I'm sure other teams will have deals in place if Drouin or Barkov fall.

Stastny(reuinited with smith) + Elliott/Sgarbo + 32nd overall + 2014 first for #4.

It's surpasses value needed to get a number 4 pick. Without Staz on our team next year that pick could be top 5 anyway. Nashville could potentially get Stastny (who may want to stay there full time after next season) who is a first line centre. A potential second paring dman or second line forward in one of Sgarbo/Elliott. The 32nd pick in this years draft and a potential top 10 next year.

That's a terrible trade for Nashville. Maybe if Stastny was signed long term, but not for an UFA to be Stastny.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

If that happened, I'd be so damn ecstatic that I'd crap your pants! :laugh:

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country

Ya turns out ppl tell me its not plausible :laugh: We're aloud to dream though!

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Could a Mod maybe clean up a few threads. Possibly close up this Draft talk thread since it's almost at 1000, close up the Barkov speculation thread and just say to continue in the new Draft talk thread.

Also, the 2013 roster what fans want to see thread could probably be merged with the sticky roster moves thread.

It would probably be a lot easier to read and reply to everything in one thread than having to check and see who said what and what time and where? YaaDIG???

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
adater ‏@adater 2m
Avs will have 2 p.m. press conference Monday at Pepsi Center to introduce top pick

Not a breaking news, but always good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad