Prospect Info: 2013 Draft [Part 8]: Unsolved Mysteries: MacKinnon, Drouin or Barkov? 4 Days Remain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Florida fans are so angry right now. Some of them are ripping Avs management for passing on Jones just because they want MacKinnon so badly. :laugh:

I wanted Jones but I still find it hilarious.

Its pretty funny. God forbid we take the BPA which is what you are supposed to do at #1. If they think Jones is BPA at #1 then perhaps they should be happy they have a chance at Jones.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Its pretty funny. God forbid we take the BPA which is what you are supposed to do at #1. If they think Jones is BPA at #1 then perhaps they should be happy they have a chance at Jones.

I would laugh so hard if the Panthers trade us Gudbranson and the 2nd Overall to move up to the first...only for them to draft Seth Jones. I think they're fan base would implode upon itself.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I would laugh so hard if the Panthers trade us Gudbranson and the 2nd Overall to move up to the first...only for them to draft Seth Jones. I think they're fan base would implode upon itself.

The entire HFboards would implode, lol.

Honestly I think they pick Barkov #2, which makes me happy because Tampa then takes Jones, and Drouin is the one we have to face instead of Barkov. Leaving Nashville with a huge hole up front still as well.

If Drouin falls to #4 do you consider sending a massive payment to Nashville for him? Stastny + Barrie/Elliott + 1st 2014 + #32 + Sgarbossa?

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO

Honestly I think they pick Barkov #2, which makes me happy because Tampa then takes Jones, and Drouin is the one we have to face instead of Barkov. Leaving Nashville with a huge hole up front still as well.

If Drouin falls to #4 do you consider sending a massive payment to Nashville for him? Stastny + Barrie/Elliott + 1st 2014 + #32 + Sgarbossa?

Interesting, but not for Drouin...if Jones is there however....

Edit - I should clarify on the Drouin point. Its tempting because he and Mackinnon have such a history together, however we need size. If we keep taking small forwards while the NHL is getting bigger, we could be in trouble. Roy said he thought we needed to get bigger. I still think Jones will be a pretty darn good player. If he drops to #4 Avs should make a push.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Interesting, but not for Drouin...if Jones is there however....

Edit - I should clarify on the Drouin point. Its tempting because he and Mackinnon have such a history together, however we need size. If we keep taking small forwards while the NHL is getting bigger, we could be in trouble. Roy said he thought we needed to get bigger. I still think Jones will be a pretty darn good player. If he drops to #4 Avs should make a push.

That's an interesting point, Jones or Drouin could be there @ #4, I'd do it for Jones as well.

Duchene - Parenteau

Mackinnon - Drouin

O'Reilly - Landeskog

For the future is pretty interesting though, you could fill in the other winger spots with bigger complimentary guys as well. McGinn is a power forward and Downie plays a heavy game. D. Jones would need to be replaced soon though. You could make a heavy push for Letang or Phaneuf in free-agency next year if they make it as well.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
That's an interesting point, Jones or Drouin could be there @ #4, I'd do it for Jones as well.

The hard part for me in the trade you proposed was the 2014 1st. We would basically be saying that 1st is going to be 15th or higher and even with Jones and Mack there is a chance that doesnt happen.

Interesting gamble for sure. Also, would that be enough? Nash needs a center...

PS Post 1000 on HF :banana::wave::vhappy:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The hard part for me in the trade you proposed was the 2014 1st. We would basically be saying that 1st is going to be 15th or higher and even with Jones and Mack there is a chance that doesnt happen.

Interesting gamble for sure. Also, would that be enough? Nash needs a center...

PS Post 1000 on HF :banana::wave::vhappy:

Yeah but at the same time Jones or Drouin could be top 3 picks at least in any draft.

Congrats

Edit : You could make the 1st conditional on Stasnty resigning as well, it would probably have to convert to a 2nd though. Not sure if they go for it at that point... Because it's questionable that it would be enough in the first place. Nashville needs cash though, they need to make the playoffs, and S. Jones or Drouin probably wouldn't help them with that immediately.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Yeah but at the same time Jones or Drouin could be top 3 picks at least in any draft.

Congrats

Ty

I guess the other question the Avs would have to ask themselves...

Are Drouin or Jones better than the players they would likely get in the draft next year with that 1st. If the answer is yes...then go for it...just do not give up Duchene, Landy, or probably EJ to do it.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ty

I guess the other question the Avs would have to ask themselves...

Are Drouin or Jones better than the players they would likely get in the draft next year with that 1st. If the answer is yes...then go for it...just do not give up Duchene, Landy, or probably EJ to do it.

Yeah, I'd offer O'Reilly for it and keep Stastny if we could, but we can't. Stastny fits their style of game, and could fill their #1 center slot immediately though.

Edit: I think they would be personally...

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

I don't think they would do that. Probably just too much quantity without the quality. However, I still think the Avs will target Columbus to get another 1st round pick.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think they would do that. Probably just too much quantity without the quality. However, I still think the Avs will target Columbus to get another 1st round pick.

Probably right, but Stastny can hold down a #1 center role far better than anyone they have. If they can resign him, he becomes major quality for them.

That 2014 first is another kicker, without a serious upgrade on defense we may not be a playoff team. I think we can survive with a decent guy out of free-agency personally but it's a toss up.

You have to remember, we barely missed it in 11-12. With the biggest difference being Quincey vs Zannon as far as our defense goes.

Replace O'Byrne (The good version) with Scuderi, and Quicney with Barrie. Our defense at least looks better than it did back then IMO.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Interesting that Ristolainen was ranked higher than Nurse by the scouts on McKenzie's list.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I feel so fortunate we actually have a legitimate first overall player to take. I feel bad for the Oilers... RNH, Yakupov, and Hall are the weakest #1 OA's in the past 10+ seasons.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I feel so fortunate we actually have a legitimate first overall player to take. I feel bad for the Oilers... RNH, Yakupov, and Hall are the weakest #1 OA's in the past 10+ seasons.

Well there is EJ. And Hall is really turning a corner.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Assuming they would (which they wouldn't since they weren't willing to for Luongo)....what if Florida offered Bjugstad + 2nd for the 1st? I'd for sure do it and go with Jones.

Erik Johnson?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Assuming they would (which they wouldn't since they weren't willing to for Luongo)....what if Florida offered Bjugstad + 2nd for the 1st? I'd for sure do it and go with Jones.
If they moved down to 2, it doesn't appear they'd even pick Jones, which is why the rumors of them wanting a defenseman from Florida seem out there. Appears Jones is ranked 4th on their list.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
A lot of people in here buying into the hype of the draft and new prospects. Hall is as good as mac amd drouin. Rnh and yak are better than barkov. I don't feel "sorry" for the oilers at all. Btw EJ is the worst out of all of them for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad