2013 CHL Top Prospects Game: Bjorkstrand looks to display talent on bigger stage

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
So from a Danish perspective would you rather have your best players in SEL and KHL like norway?

Some would. Others wouldn't. There's not a clear cut yes/no answer. It's kinda related to how much you follow the NHL and how you weigh WC vs. NHL.

I want our boys competing with the best of the best. Especially when it's as clear cut as it is in hockey. There's the Stanley Cup and then a pretty big gap down to everything else.

But I can see it from the other side and I'm cheering just as loudly as the next guy at the WC and the Qlympic Qual. in about a month :)

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
... Oh and I don't understand way everybody all of a sudden has given up on Lars Eller? He's a NHL caliber player. I have never seen anything to suggest otherwise. A couple of games scratched isn't gonna change that.

And Frederik Andersen hasn't even been in North America a year?? wtf? Why should he just give up now?

Philip Larsen not an NHL'er? Wut? Have you seen him play? On the Dallas Stars board there's a discussion whether or not he's been the second best D-man this year. Nothing suggests that he isn't a NHL'ers beside a weird scratch in one game.

And have "hope for Boedker"? Is it Crosby or go home standards? He had a very nice playoff last year and has started great this year. He's right were he should be. First line talent. IMO he's the best Dane in the NHL right now. What is there to hope for?

Frans Nielsen and Jannik Hansen also started somewhere. They did just pop into a sure fire spot on the second and third line. Let's give it some time people.

Rant over :)

member 498sixnine

That's a big fat YES!!!

At least players like Eller, Regin, Andersen and so forth :)
For me it's a big fat NO. I love seeing Danish players in NHL, which to me is much more important than for example WC.

Sure, it would be great to see our national team at the olympics where every team brings their best players. But other than olympic qualification reason, I don't really find it that important if we end up 8th or 12th at the WC. We have no chance of winning it anyway, and with all the player missing I don't really find the WC that important anyway.

NHL is where it happens. :nod:

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Still, making the Olympics is huge if we want the sport to take a leap forward in this country. Remember what Nagano did for curling? Even if our hockey team would not win a medal, they would dominate Olympic coverage in the Danish media. Our hockey team is a lot closer to the best in the world, than any other Danish participant except for curling. They would make up 60-65 percent of the Danish athletes.

Considering that the sport's main challenge in Denmark is to break through to the average sports fan, this kind of exposure is invaluable. It could lead to rinks being built in cities where people hardly know of the sport at the moment. Increasing the number of rinks and with that the number of players is the biggest thing that could happen if we want to improve internationally.

It seems to me that we have already experienced everything else one might realistically hope for that could have increased the sport's exposure: Players in the NHL, great results at the WC, raised level in the top national league. The level was pretty damn good before the financial crisis and well beyond what most teams could afford. Participating in the Olympics is almost the last hope if we want to connect with the average sports fan.

Denmark's hockey population is probably 3-400,000 at the moment. In the sense that this is the number of people who live in areas where there is a rink and where hockey matters. Imagine if that number increased to 5.5 million...

Last edited:

member 498sixnine

^^ Of course it would be great to participate in the Olympics, even though we most like would/will be beaten severely. And yes, it would also raise the awareness of hockey (and lack of rinks) in Denmark - but stil, it's once every fourth year. I want to see our best guys play with and against the best in the world on a daily basis. That won't happen if they play in KHL or SEL.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
^^ Of course it would be great to participate in the Olympics, even though we most like would/will be beaten severely. And yes, it would also raise the awareness of hockey (and lack of rinks) in Denmark - but stil, it's once every fourth year. I want to see our best guys play with and against the best in the world on a daily basis. That won't happen if they play in KHL or SEL.

Yeah, for you and me that would be more interesting than to find out if we get beat by 3 or 5 or 8 goals by the hockey powerhouses of this world. But it could be so huge for the future of the sport if it somehow took hold in the areas where it isn't even on the radar right now. In time, that could multiply the number of Danes in the NHL. And I agree with you that I want to see the best Danish players in the best league in the world, so that would be fantastic...

There's no guarantee that Olympic qualification will bring all of this, but it could happen and it's probably the only thing that could accomplish that kind of growth for hockey in Denmark.

member 498sixnine

^^ It could probably help, but I doubt we would see rinks pop up like mushrooms just because we participate at the Olympics. I think something like much more aggresive lobbying from DIU towards to many larger Danish cities without rinks would help more. The examples from the cities with rinks are great and it really shouldn't be that hard convincing places that it's a great idea (when the economy gets better that is). I don't know how much of that DIU has actually done though, unfortunately they often seem quite incompetent.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
^^ It could probably help, but I doubt we would see rinks pop up like mushrooms just because we participate at the Olympics. I think something like much more aggresive lobbying from DIU towards to many larger Danish cities without rinks would help more. The examples from the cities with rinks are great and it really shouldn't be that hard convincing places that it's a great idea (when the economy gets better that is). I don't know how much of that DIU has actually done though, unfortunately they often seem quite incompetent.

I think the main difference is that right now it's difficult for DIU to push this idea of spending XX million kroner on a rink as an outsider. It's a big difference if the demand comes from within the community, pushed on by local voters... :)

I don't know how effective DIU is as a lobbyist on this issue, but I believe IIHF could be a big help presenting relatively low-cost rink options to startup hockey communities. It will be many years before these new areas produce elite players, but it will happen. It took Odense 15-20 years before they started to produce players at the AL-B-league level.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Still, making the Olympics is huge if we want the sport to take a leap forward in this country. Remember what Nagano did for curling? Even if our hockey team would not win a medal, they would dominate Olympic coverage in the Danish media. Our hockey team is a lot closer to the best in the world, than any other Danish participant except for curling. They would make up 60-65 percent of the Danish athletes.

Considering that the sport's main challenge in Denmark is to break through to the average sports fan, this kind of exposure is invaluable. It could lead to rinks being built in cities where people hardly know of the sport at the moment. Increasing the number of rinks and with that the number of players is the biggest thing that could happen if we want to improve internationally.

It seems to me that we have already experienced everything else one might realistically hope for that could have increased the sport's exposure: Players in the NHL, great results at the WC, raised level in the top national league. The level was pretty damn good before the financial crisis and well beyond what most teams could afford. Participating in the Olympics is almost the last hope if we want to connect with the average sports fan.

Denmark's hockey population is probably 3-400,000 at the moment. In the sense that this is the number of people who live in areas where there is a rink and where hockey matters. Imagine if that number increased to 5.5 million...

This is precisely what i think as well and why qualification for olympics 2014 and getting a WC in 2017 might be very critical for the long term development of danish hockey. Having players in the NHL doesn't make any difference for danish hockey development, unless we got a super-talent that would make danish media forget that Wosniacki excisted.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
... Oh and I don't understand way everybody all of a sudden has given up on Lars Eller? He's a NHL caliber player. I have never seen anything to suggest otherwise. A couple of games scratched isn't gonna change that.

And Frederik Andersen hasn't even been in North America a year?? wtf? Why should he just give up now?

Philip Larsen not an NHL'er? Wut? Have you seen him play? On the Dallas Stars board there's a discussion whether or not he's been the second best D-man this year. Nothing suggests that he isn't a NHL'ers beside a weird scratch in one game.

And have "hope for Boedker"? Is it Crosby or go home standards? He had a very nice playoff last year and has started great this year. He's right were he should be. First line talent. IMO he's the best Dane in the NHL right now. What is there to hope for?

Frans Nielsen and Jannik Hansen also started somewhere. They did just pop into a sure fire spot on the second and third line. Let's give it some time people.

I actually totally get your rant.....it's just whether you are in heart an optismist or pessimist. Off course all the danes still have a chance...the start of the season has just been pretty bad. My hopes for Bødker is just to get a solid +20 goal scorer playing top6. Frans Nielsen and Jannik Hansen will be solid 3rd liners. Its just that Larsen, Eller and Regin all have big potential, but it has so far eluded them for different resons.
We still wait for that big danish breakout year.....you can't survive the NHL only being a talent and that could be a danger for Eller and Regin if they don't deliver.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

As for Lars, I haven't given up, sorry if that's the impression I gave :)

I love what he brings, but I don't see him having succes in Habsland!
He got plenty time on the 1st line yesterday with nothing to show for, fans are already roasting him for that ONE game..

Montreal is a hockey crazed place, I just don't think it's a place for Lars, Danish mentalities often lead us to become the scapegoats of teams in all sports.

Just look at Simon Kjær of the danish Soccer team... We are complacent and seldomly complain..

Therefore I want Lars to an other team in the NHL or KHL or SEL :)

Frederik Andersen has what it takes, but imo chose the hardest route possible, id rather have him playing than not.. So the decission to send him back to the AHL rather than bench him in the NHL, was imo a good one :)

Id love for Denmark to get an NHL caliber goalie, no doubt about it....

As for Larsen I agree, and I have also expressed that I didn't quite understand Gulutzan's decision to bench him.

Regin IMO is done for, he has so much offensive talent, especially on the big ice, but he is too small for defensive responseabilities that 3rd and 4th line duties bring..

HIM I WOULD LOVE in Europe.

Im satisfied with Boedker and yes still have hopes for him.. He had a GREAT P/O but a less than average main season. Im not expecting Crosby like stats, but I am expecting more than 30points in a 82 game season!

He is doing great so far though! :)

I understand your rant, some of us, myself included do come of as pessimistic, it's in my nature.. You know like preparing myself for a letdown :P

Id rather be suprised than dissapointed :naughty:

For me it's a big fat NO. I love seeing Danish players in NHL, which to me is much more important than for example WC.

Sure, it would be great to see our national team at the olympics where every team brings their best players. But other than olympic qualification reason, I don't really find it that important if we end up 8th or 12th at the WC. We have no chance of winning it anyway, and with all the player missing I don't really find the WC that important anyway.

NHL is where it happens. :nod:

I understand your sentiment, but would you rather have a dane on a 4th line on a bottom team in the NHL scoring little and having little succes, or have him on a top team in the SEL or KHL on a 2nd line scoring and having succes?

For me it is an easy answer :)

Ofcourse the dream scenario is that all danes breakout in the NHL, but that's not the case.

And in this particular thread I was bringing into context Eller's situation in Montreal, which IMO is a contributor to why I am as pessimistic around Eller as I am..

I actually totally get your rant.....it's just whether you are in heart an optismist or pessimist. Off course all the danes still have a chance...the start of the season has just been pretty bad. My hopes for Bødker is just to get a solid +20 goal scorer playing top6. Frans Nielsen and Jannik Hansen will be solid 3rd liners. Its just that Larsen, Eller and Regin all have big potential, but it has so far eluded them for different resons.
We still wait for that big danish breakout year.....you can't survive the NHL only being a talent and that could be a danger for Eller and Regin if they don't deliver.

BINGO!

This is not just about the national team and OG or WC performances.. It's about having danish players enjoying succes, and living out the potential they have..

It would be good for Danish hockey to have more succes stories... I have non hockey interested friends who are asking Questions about Eller, THEY HAVE NEVER asked me anything about Hockey before..

Not even when he scored 4 goals.. As soon as the news is negative, people remember it.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
BINGO!

This is not just about the national team and OG or WC performances.. It's about having danish players enjoying succes, and living out the potential they have..

It would be good for Danish hockey to have more succes stories... I have non hockey interested friends who are asking Questions about Eller, THEY HAVE NEVER asked me anything about Hockey before..

Not even when he scored 4 goals.. As soon as the news is negative, people remember it.

It's our danish agricultural psychy - as an agriculturalist you have to have the ability to see the bad in everything. Its either too much sun or too little, too much rain or too little :laugh:
Preparing for the worst make you survive bad harvest...they are bound to happen you know!! :D

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
It's our danish agricultural psychy - as an agriculturalist you have to have the ability to see the bad in everything. Its either too much sun or too little, too much rain or too little :laugh:
Preparing for the worst make you survive bad harvest...they are bound to happen you know!! :D

Oh boy, the more I think of it, the more we danes reminds me of The Vulcans from Star Trek :D Hahaha....

member 498sixnine

I understand your sentiment, but would you rather have a dane on a 4th line on a bottom team in the NHL scoring little and having little succes, or have him on a top team in the SEL or KHL on a 2nd line scoring and having succes?

For me it is an easy answer :)
Yes I would much rather have a Dane in a NHL 4th line getting 10 mins a game than having him in KHL or SEL. For their careers the later would probably be preferable, but for me as a spectator and fan, I would forget them in a second in those leagues. I have no interest in either league what-so-ever.

Simply put, to me NHL is so much bigger than any other hockey league, and it should always be the ultimate goal for any player. But of course that's just my opinion. :)

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Yes I would much rather have a Dane in a NHL 4th line getting 10 mins a game than having him in KHL or SEL. For their careers the later would probably be preferable, but for me as a spectator and fan, I would forget them in a second in those leagues. I have no interest in either league what-so-ever.

Simply put, to me NHL is so much bigger than any other hockey league, and it should always be the ultimate goal for any player. But of course that's just my opinion. :)

From that pow I can sort of agree :)

But I think id still rather have them succeeding in the SEL or KHL as I actually also watch those leagues and find great entertainment in doing so :D

For what it's worth imo the NHL is only that big because of it's commercial value, you WILL find teams in the KHL of equal or better "value" also worse. But the league is actually quite rated..

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Maybe its a generational thing growing up with WC's in the 80's watching the red machine, but the russian playing style is just more aestethic to me than the north american short rink physical slugfest.
So having some danes shine in the KHL would be a fine for me as in the NHL - but I want to see them succeed. We want point production, not 4'th liners to cheer about.
Having danish stars in SEL is great when watching hockey news from Sweden!

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Maybe its a generational thing growing up with WC's in the 80's watching the red machine, but the russian playing style is just more aestethic to me than the north american short rink physical slugfest.
So having some danes shine in the KHL would be a fine for me as in the NHL - but I want to see them succeed. We want point production, not 4'th liners to cheer about.
Having danish stars in SEL is great when watching hockey news from Sweden!

No No im from 87 and I can dig that...

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
NHL fans love hockey physicality and speed
Fans of russian hockey love the tic-tac-toe fast passing play with superb stick handling and game vision. KML line is missed..that was the days. Great to watch it on swedish television back then when the swedish team (sometimes) was being totally outplayed and the commentators could do nothing than marvel at the beauty of it all.
Fights in hockey is as silly as fights in football or other sports in my opinion...it feel so staged sometimes.

member 498sixnine

From that pow I can sort of agree :)

But I think id still rather have them succeeding in the SEL or KHL as I actually also watch those leagues and find great entertainment in doing so :D

For what it's worth imo the NHL is only that big because of it's commercial value, you WILL find teams in the KHL of equal or better "value" also worse. But the league is actually quite rated..
I have no doubt you can find great hockey in both Sweden and Russia, I've just never really followed those leagues. Beside NHL, and our own AL Bank Liga, the only other I follow a bit is DEL. Like many other "Jyder" Germany has always felt closer to me than Sweden, I guess it's the other way round for many people from Zealand. And KHL is just blaaa to me...maybe because I don't even know where half of the cities are located. :laugh:

And finally I'm also drawn to many things surrounding the actual game of hockey: I would pick the intensity in the NA sized rinks anyday over the more technical european ones, I love the huge full arenas, and I have a soft spot for the beautiful clean jerseys in north american hockey - everytime I see a european jersey full of advertising I want to scratch my eyes out. :yashin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I have no doubt can find great hockey in both Sweden and Russia, I've just never really followed those leagues. Beside NHL, and our own AL Bank Liga, the only other I follow a bit is DEL. Like many other "Jyder" Germany has always felt closer to me than Sweden, I guess it's the other way round for many people from Zealand. And KHL is just blaaa to me...maybe because I don't even know where half of the cities are located. :laugh:

And finally I'm also drawn to many things surrounding the actual game of hockey: I would pick the intensity in the NA sized rinks anyday over the more technical european ones, I love the huge full arenas, and I have a soft spot for the beautiful clean jerseys in north american hockey - everytime I see a european jersey full of advertising I want to scratch my eyes out:yashin:

Yep its probably since i grew up in Copenhagen raised on Swedish wintersport television (the Ingemar Stenmark days), while you in Jutland have more german exposure, which was non-existant in Copenhagen back then. My point was exactly that what you grow up with loving as a kid often stays as an adult.
But you are right...modern european jerseys are horrible :laugh: but without them no hockey.
Taste is very different..and Im very conditioned by the hockey I grew up with.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
I'm on board with the generational thing. I'm 92'er and I started watching hockey when Canadians had entered the Danish League. I like the hard working aspect as much as the technical.

As states I'd rather have a Dane working the third line against some of the toughest competition in the world than having them in the KHL or SEL.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I have no doubt can find great hockey in both Sweden and Russia, I've just never really followed those leagues. Beside NHL, and our own AL Bank Liga, the only other I follow a bit is DEL. Like many other "Jyder" Germany has always felt closer to me than Sweden, I guess it's the other way round for many people from Zealand. And KHL is just blaaa to me...maybe because I don't even know where half of the cities are located. :laugh:

And finally I'm also drawn to many things surrounding the actual game of hockey: I would pick the intensity in the NA sized rinks anyday over the more technical european ones, I love the huge full arenas, and I have a soft spot for the beautiful clean jerseys in north american hockey - everytime I see a european jersey full of advertising I want to scratch my eyes out. :yashin:

Yep its probably since i grew up in Copenhagen raised on Swedish wintersport television (the Ingemar Stenmark days), while you in Jutland have more german exposure, which was non-existant in Copenhagen back then. My point was exactly that what you grow up with loving as a kid often stays as an adult.
But you are right...modern european jerseys are horrible :laugh: but without them no hockey.
Taste is very different..and Im very conditioned by the hockey I grew up with.

I am from Copenhagen myself, but I am a bit inbetween you both, don't get me wrong, I love the N/A game! Hell I spent large parts of my life living in Canada...

I love the NHL more than either league in Europe as I find some teams still play a more Russian game..And as you say the ambience is just next to nothing :)

I like the Russian style of hockey better though..

It's the same as being a Premier league kind o guy or a Primera Division Kind o guy, im inbetween :)

BUT, id still rather have danes succed in Euro leagues than slumping it in the NHL, I find value in the game if danes are not on the team, but id rather watch a game where the danes are actually given TOI:)

I never watch Ottawa games anymore for that reason..

The only team I would follow without any danes - are the Nucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad