GDT: 2013 Caps Trade Deadline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Anisimov and Dubinsky don't belong in the same sentence as Prust in that context. Prust is infinitely more replaceable than either of them.

Maybe we're both tip-toeing around the real problem, a loss of depth.

And if Hendricks would get closer to $2.5M than $900K, the Caps should let him walk.

I think Prust was every bit as valuable as those two guys. I guess Rangers fans would know better but for me I really liked Prust.

I thought he was their best player in the playoff series vs us in 10-11 as well.

I don't believe Hendricks to be depth. I believe him to be core.

What about a team who shows a lack of unity and chemistry as the Caps have pretty much for a long time? They rarely have each other's backs on the ice.

Mad or not, as a paying fan, I expect the team to always try and improve. If you're saying the roster is fine and doesn't need to be adjusted at all, we'll agree to disagree (cough double nickel cough).

I'm saying Hendricks is part of the solution to what has plagued the Caps.

Erskine getting a jersey nightly and bringing aboard Oleksy and Volpatti is taking a step in the right direction. Letting go of Hendricks is a step backwards.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I read an article about Ozzie Newsome and how he likes to operate. He finds guys on the cheap that fit a role and gets the most of out them. When the time comes for them to get paid, he goes looking for another cheap guy who can fill that same role. He lets other teams overpay guys.

Hendricks at 825K is a great example. Picked him up cheap and got good mileage out of him. 32 year old Hendricks at $2M+ prevents you from upgrading the roster elsewhere.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Purely spitballing here:

Perreault/Kundratek/Galiev to Buffalo for Ott

Buffalo just traded two dmen so Kundratek might be a nice replacement for them. I would think that Buffalo would welcome another Perreault in their ranks (well just tell them he's Gil's nephew), PRO's stats are not that much different from Ott.

Schultz/Neuvirth/Wolski to Phoenix for Boyd Gordon and Goalie Mike Smith

Smith has been dinged up a bit, but he's a pending UFA that gives us that vet experience between the pipes. Unfortunately Phoenix beat LA last night so they're currently just 2 points out of a playoff spot with a host of other teams so they may be reluctant to make a move involving Smith.

Caps resign Ribeiro then up the middle the team would have
1. Backstrom
2. Ribeiro
3. Ott
4. Beagle/Gordon (Gordon could always play wing on the 4th line with Hendricks)

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I read an article about Ozzie Newsome and how he likes to operate. He finds guys on the cheap that fit a role and gets the most of out them. When the time comes for them to get paid, he goes looking for another cheap guy who can fill that same role. He lets other teams overpay guys.

Newsome did the opposite when he kicked his low cost SB winning QB, Trent Dilfer, to the curb and signed the flavor of the month QB, Elvis Grbac, to a big money deal.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think the prevailing wisdom for Ribeiro is a 1st and a good prospect.

Laich I don't know what people would want as the idea of trading him away hasn't really come up and he has been missing for most of the season so it is hard to gauge his worth under Oates.

first things first. are either of the two players for sale? i dont think laich is for sale and so its pointless to ask what it would take in a trade.

same really with ribeiro. anyone think the caps who control their playoff destiny it appears would remove ribeiro from the roster and carry on with backstrom and johansson ? i doubt it very seriously.

it would also appear that if they traded ribeiro, laich would have to be part of the backup plan at center. i dont see a scenario where the caps traded them both.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm saying Hendricks is part of the solution to what has plagued the Caps.

Erskine getting a jersey nightly and bringing aboard Oleksy and Volpatti is taking a step in the right direction. Letting go of Hendricks is a step backwards.

It's a minor step either way. If he's seeking Prust money, he's gone. The Caps will never pay him close to that. It would hurt to lose him, but he's not irreplaceable.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I think Prust was every bit as valuable as those two guys. I guess Rangers fans would know better but for me I really liked Prust.

I thought he was their best player in the playoff series vs us in 10-11 as well.

I don't believe Hendricks to be depth. I believe him to be core.

I like Prust too, but overpaying a guy like that by $1.5M will inevitably prevent you from making an upgrade to a position that has a lot more impact.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Hendricks at 825K is a great example. Picked him up cheap and got good mileage out of him. 32 year old Hendricks at $2M+ prevents you from upgrading the roster elsewhere.

Not the same. Ravens/Steelers/Patriots do what you say above. But that comes to players who are going to get PAID. Hendricks at $2 million is not that. Semin at $7 million over 5 years? Yeah thats the kind of moves those teams don't make.

Resigning Hendricks would be our best TDL move IMO.

RE: Faceoffs - He took a TON of key draws in the playoffs last year from what I recall. He is very valuable in that regard.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Newsome did the opposite when he kicked his low cost SB winning QB, Trent Dilfer, to the curb and signed the flavor of the month QB, Elvis Grbac, to a big money deal.

That was 12 years ago, and he learned from that and adjusted. That's why he's the best GM in the sport.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Pretty much the theme of Michael Lewis's book Moneyball.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Hockey Central‏@SNHockeyCentral3m
RT @icemancometh Ducks working on stuff but won't overpay as GM Murray has said. Not likely to move their 1st or 2nd just to add any C or F.

This works for us doesn't it? Chimera wouldn't fetch a 1st or 2nd. ;)

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I like Prust too, but overpaying a guy like that by $1.5M will inevitably prevent you from making an upgrade to a position that has a lot more impact.

You mean like saving the money on Prust so they could use it on an impact player like Rick Nash?

If we are going to bring aboard an upgrade via UFA we are going to overpay. See Joel Ward. UFAs get paid.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

i doubt you will see hendricks at 4 years and 2m plus. if we do, we can talk then. the problem with your football analogy is that a cheap long snapper and a heart and soul roster glue hockey player are different things entirely. hockey has a tighter team concept than does football.

hendricks in his 3rd and 4th year with one team is far more valuable to that team than 4 different guys on one year contracts. matt bradley was worth more than his contract every season he played with the capitals and could never have had that value had he been a one year and out player.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Not the same. Ravens/Steelers/Patriots do what you say above. But that comes to players who are going to get PAID. Hendricks at $2 million is not that. Semin at $7 million over 5 years? Yeah thats the kind of moves those teams don't make.

Resigning Hendricks would be our best TDL move IMO.

RE: Faceoffs - He took a TON of key draws in the playoffs last year from what I recall. He is very valuable in that regard.

The Ravens have done it with Bart Scott, Adalius Thomas, Paul Kruger, Dannell Ellerbe, and plenty of other role players. Not just the headliners.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Stephen Whyno‏@SWhyno2m
Newly signed college free agent D Nate Schmidt on ice with #Caps. Would be first in franchise history to wear No. 88 in game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad