GDT: 2013 Caps Trade Deadline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Nope. Just realized its not worth getting all mad about stuff I have absolutely no control of.

As far as trading goes...

When Adam Oates was a player for the Caps I believe it was one year (maybe RIGHT before the Zednik/Bulis trade) where he said something along the lines of : (I'm HEAVILY paraphrasing here)

"As a player you don't want any trades because you struggle and go through so much as a team that you want to succeed as a team with the guys you struggled with in the first place"

I think there is merit to that. Team unity and chemistry is undervalued.

br, maybe you should start following the herd.

players in the ovechkin era have commented after deadline deals that bringing in players and spending money and assets shows the front office believes in them and is trying to support them. as i recall oates was very angry when mcphee traded for linden.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah, that's true. It just seems like rumors would get more attention and therefore more pageviews if he could turn it into a post. Then again, maybe he didn't have enough for anything more than a tweet.

i just know that a caps rumor coming out of canada, in this case lebrun, never seems to be reality. it could well be that whyno heard that the caps might shop chimera but not from a capitals source and likely not from an inside nhl source. an agent perhaps.

many canadian media use conversation amoung hockey media as sourcing for rumors.
they say heard around the leauge and so forth.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
I am not sure Ovi and the team have the luxury to see if the 4 young G'uns ;) at age 28 become something special. Decisions must be made well before that age. Varly was the first to go. He is only 24.

I don't think we trade Neuvy today, but think Grubauer could fill his role as emergency starter this year if he were. I doubt MN even plays the rest of the regular season. is that even good for his development?

How many times does a G get beat out before you decide he is not the one? I think the best one should the one retained, not the loser be the one that challenges the new kid. While many may argue he was better than Varly, but I am not one of them.

When I went to see Nolan Yonkman's stats the other day, the Florida Panther page said to watch the panther's "Young Guns".

Why are you bringing up Florida's young guns on a Cap's page?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
br, maybe you should start following the herd.

players in the ovechkin era have commented after deadline deals that bringing in players and spending money and assets shows the front office believes in them and is trying to support them. as i recall oates was very angry when mcphee traded for linden.

Well players are NEVER going to say "hey...why did our dumbass GM bring in these last second mercenaries??? Does he not believe in us???"

What they really feel could be markedly different.

Oates is the type that was never afraid to speak his mind (thats what got him kicked out of Boston essentially).

I am hesitant about making trades when I believe the team is trending up. Its not as black and white as we are led to believe. Locker room chemistry is a hard thing for us to truly understand since we aren't in there.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
do you think ovechkin was offended when mcphee traded for fedorov? i am sure players dont want to see their mates lose their jobs or be moved away. i as most nhl playoff teams dont trade roster players at the deadline, that doesnt happen often.

as i recall ovechkin loved the pettinger for cooke deal.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
do you think ovechkin was offended when mcphee traded for fedorov?

I have no idea. Information about the workings of a locker room are more directly understood by those intimately involved with the team.

For instance last year I believe we undermined Neuvirth's confidence by bringing in Vokoun even tho on paper it looked like a great transaction and GMGM was widely applauded for it.

There is huge risk involved if you ignore or don't fully understand the locker room dynamics.

As an outsider it is hard to know that. We can only guess.

Either way there is far less risk involved when you bring someone in for futures as opposed to roster players (Zednik/Bulis trade for example) but there is still risk.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
luongo.jpg

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I said yesterday that Chimmers doesn't fit Oates' system. He's clearly the one who is struggling the most. If he can be moved for something decent, I'd do it.

Perhaps Bruce would want him in Anaheim? He worked well under Bruce's system.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Good call on Chimera to Anaheim Ty

I am trying to think of who gets moved today, if anyone, and I will predict MP as a part of a deal for a winger

CrashTheNet9

Jul 11, 2011
It would clear some space for giving Ribeiro a higher amount if he takes a 4 year deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't move anyone but add a depth player. Don't we have 48 contracts right now?

CrashTheNet9

Jul 11, 2011
I assume Kundratek and Orlov are coming back to the big club tomorrow. Neither are on the ice for Hershey.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Its sounds odd, why would we have so many young dmen up here not playing?

Maybe some D are on the way out. Sarge and Hillen would be my preference.

Bruce believes Sarge is fearless after all. Make it happen George, make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany