GDT: 2013 Caps Trade Deadline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Its sounds odd, why would we have so many young dmen up here not skating?

Maybe some D are on the way out. Sarge and Hillen would be my preference.

Bruce believes Sarge is fearless after all. Make it happen George, make it happen.

Paper transactions to ensure they're on the Bears' playoff roster.

Maryland17

Jan 7, 2008
Annapolis, MD
Fine with that, so long as it's sub-$1M. Hendo is a good 4th line player, and has improved his game each year with the Caps, IMO.

yeah, per WaTimes. No way be pay him more than $1.2 TOPS/year.

"Hendricks would like to stay in Washington, but that will likely take something beyond two years. Brandon Prust’s four-year, $10 million contract with the Montreal Canadiens might be a good comparison; the forward was 28 at the time he signed the deal after a season with five goals and 12 assists. Extrapolate Hendricks’ numbers over an 82-game season and he’d have 16 points on nine goals and seven assists."

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
No way we're paying him Prust money.

I think we will have to pay closer to that than what he currently makes. He is a pretty critical player in my book and it would be a huge mistake to let him go.

I bet the Rangers regret letting Prust go even for that amount. Some players are more valuable than their stats lead us to believe.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I'm just waiting for this board to go on meltdown mode when the extension $ is revealed. Even if it is slightly over what is perceived to be the fair amount here, people are going to go nuts. :laugh:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm just waiting for this board to go on meltdown mode when the extension $ is revealed. Even if it is slightly over what is perceived to be the fair amount here, people are going to go nuts. :laugh:
As they should because with the cap going down they really need to be sparing with the money they give to replaceable bottom six forwards.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Paper transactions to ensure they're on the Bears' playoff roster.

I read that proposed elsewhere and that is certainly true.

That aside, I am speculating on, why not leave them there so they can get some games in? Why rush them back here without even a practice there?

I doubt either will get dressed here before next week if then, unless someone is on the way out.

Maybe George doesn't want to hurt any potential value of theirs today in trade talks. You just demoted him!

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
As they should because with the cap going down they really need to be sparing with the money they give to replaceable bottom six forwards.

Glen Sather would totally agree with you.

Hendricks is not as "replaceable" as you seem to think. Just like Prust wasn't.

Grave mistake to let a glue player like him go. Pay the man!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
this is matt bradley all over again. i doubt the caps spend prust money. i wouldnt be surprised at 3 years at 3.6 or 4m total, though.

there is this feeling that the low end dollar warrior that stands up for his teammates, takes a beating for them, and who earns enough respect that his effort inspires them to play harder is a disposable guy that can be replace every year with a guy on a cheap one year. if he is successful, its because he has earned his place among his mates. then you have to keep him. starting over means the risk that they dont like the next guy as much or at all.

oh...and how many of these guys are a slam dunk in the shootout too?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Glen Sather would totally agree with you.

Hendricks is not as "replaceable" as you seem to think. Just like Prust wasn't.

Losing Prust hasn't been the problem with the Rangers. Their problem has been that their big ticket players (Richards, Nash, Gaborik) aren't really worthy big ticket players and aren't good enough to carry the offense.

Prust money for Hendricks would be terrible.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Losing Prust hasn't been the problem with the Rangers. Their problem has been that their big ticket players (Richards, Nash, Gaborik) aren't really worthy big ticket players and aren't good enough to carry the offense.

Prust money for Hendricks would be terrible.

Losing heart and soul players IS the Rangers problem. They figured guys like Anisimov, Dubinsky and Prust were easily replaceable. They are not.

Hendricks won't get Prust money. Prust was 28 and Hendricks is 32. But it would be closer to 2.5 mil than 900k.

Yeah Prust is in a class above Hendricks
'
Prust is younger and a better fighter thats for sure. But how quickly we forget last years playoffs where Hendricks was in beast mode.

The most memorable play was in OT vs the Rangers where he absolutely LIT UP one of the rags (McDonough?) and then made a sweet move and PERFECT pass to Troy Brouwer. We all know what came next...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i am not a prust fan per say. but where were the rangers last season? as close as theyve been to a cup since 94. where are they now? where was montreal last season? where are they now? it could be the location of prust is just coincidence, but i'd bet not

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Losing heart and soul players IS the Rangers problem. They figured guys like Anisimov, Dubinsky and Prust were easily replaceable. They are not.

Hendricks won't get Prust money. Prust was 28 and Hendricks is 32. But it would be closer to 2.5 mil than 900k.

This is correct. As much as people would like to think so, there are not a bunch of players floating around that can do what Hendricks does. He's earned his money here. Also, don't forget his value in the shootouts as an added bonus.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Disagree. It's a tough decision but it's where you have to turn to players like Wilson or Mitchell if needed. Strong systems should be able to replace these sorts of players on the cheap from within rather than be forced into a contract that's outside their comfort zone.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
i am not a prust fan per say. but where were the rangers last season? as close as theyve been to a cup since 94. where are they now? where was montreal last season? where are they now? it could be the location of prust is just coincidence, but i'd bet not

It is. MTL got unlucky at the start and then tanked artfully (rode Budaj down the stretch). On merit they were a much better team than their record. Rags stars weren't nearly as bad last year.

If there're depth-ish players they miss, it's more likely Dubinsky, Anisimov, and Fedotenko.

(And I say this as someone who likes what Prust brings).

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

Anisimov and Dubinsky don't belong in the same sentence as Prust in that context. Prust is infinitely more replaceable than either of them.

Maybe we're both tip-toeing around the real problem, a loss of depth.

And if Hendricks would get closer to $2.5M than $900K, the Caps should let him walk.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Ducks here,

What would anaheim need to give up for

Laich or Riberio ?

I think the prevailing wisdom for Ribeiro is a 1st and a good prospect.

Laich I don't know what people would want as the idea of trading him away hasn't really come up and he has been missing for most of the season so it is hard to gauge his worth under Oates.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
This is correct. As much as people would like to think so, there are not a bunch of players floating around that can do what Hendricks does. He's earned his money here. Also, don't forget his value in the shootouts as an added bonus.

Agreed with everything above.

Hendricks is also excellent on faceoffs and APPEARS to be a well liked and great guy int he locker room. The latter is just conjecture on my part though.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

Sure there are. There will probably be a half-dozen available free agents that will sign sub-$1M contracts this summer that can bring a comparable level of play.

You take the 'salary cap be damned' stance with your star players, not your glue guys.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Agreed with everything above.

Hendricks is also excellent on faceoffs and APPEARS to be a well liked and great guy int he locker room. The latter is just conjecture on my part though.

His faceoff prowess, while real obviously, isn't as impactful as you'd think. Given how few faceoffs he actually takes (5 per game, give or take) you could plug in someone with a much lower success rate and still barely see a difference.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Nope. Just realized its not worth getting all mad about stuff I have absolutely no control of.

As far as trading goes...

When Adam Oates was a player for the Caps I believe it was one year (maybe RIGHT before the Zednik/Bulis trade) where he said something along the lines of : (I'm HEAVILY paraphrasing here)

"As a player you don't want any trades because you struggle and go through so much as a team that you want to succeed as a team with the guys you struggled with in the first place"

I think there is merit to that. Team unity and chemistry is undervalued.

What about a team who shows a lack of unity and chemistry as the Caps have pretty much for a long time? They rarely have each other's backs on the ice.

Mad or not, as a paying fan, I expect the team to always try and improve. If you're saying the roster is fine and doesn't need to be adjusted at all, we'll agree to disagree (cough double nickel cough).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad