2013-2014 CIS Playoffs Thread

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Looks like McGill has punched their ticket to Saskatoon with a 2-1 win in Ottawa. Carleton will now play Lakehead for the OUA wildcard.

thook

Jan 9, 2010
Lakehead will be in tough!

Yes they will be! But no matter what happens in the game this season has to be considered a success. They lost all of the top end players from last season, and this was considered a re-building year. With a new coach in place there has been a new culture established at lakehead. Hard working and team oriented. The coach was hired late in the recruiting season and he still did ok considering. Hopefully they can attract some high end guys and fill in where there is a lack of depth on this team. I'm not counting them out yet but I am really looking forward to next season!

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Carleton fought hard yesterday, but McGill was the better team. Not to mention their AHL-calibre goaltender was unreal.

Top-quality hockey, for my first time out at a CIS game I was thoroughly impressed.

Are McGill considered favorites for the University Cup?

I though #7 Rose and #28 (hyphenated name) were excellent for them.

chlfan99

Aug 10, 2010
Last nights mcgill vs. carleton game was a great one, both teams played goo hard end to end hockey with both goaltenders playing extremely well. Its just very unfortunate Carleton was robbed of a tieing goal by a referee. Carleton scored with about one second left on the clock in the second period even the mcgill players seemed to think it was a good goal smashing sticks and hanging their heads but the ref called it off thinking the time had expired. the puck hit the back of the net right just as the buzzer sounded, any good referee would know its the goal line not the back of the net that counts and even the back of the net just barely beat the buzzer. Being a mutual party in this game, im very happy for mcgill they played hard but i feel like carleton got robbed by a ref. This is why i am pulling for them in the bronze as they deserve to be there. Also hoping mcgill wins the queens cup!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Carleton fought hard yesterday, but McGill was the better team. Not to mention their AHL-calibre goaltender was unreal.

Top-quality hockey, for my first time out at a CIS game I was thoroughly impressed.

Are McGill considered favorites for the University Cup?

I though #7 Rose and #28 (hyphenated name) were excellent for them.

I must have been watching a different game than you. McGill carried the play for the first 10 minutes. After that the shots were 35 to 17 for Carleton despite a massive descrepancy in penalty minutes in mcgills favour. Overall I think Carleton carried the play but both teams definitely played well enough to win the game. However its a shame that incompetent reffing had to make an impact on a game when both teams have worked so hard to get to this point. Mcgill had a handful of calls go in their favour including a Carleton goal that went in at the buzzer to tie the game. Either call goal or no goal would have been accepted because it was that close. The penalty call on plekaitas with 7 minutes to go was horrid. Clean hit shoulder to shoulder, the mcgill skaters helmet popped off so its an automatic penalty?... Strange timing considering the offensive zone time carleton had and the interference/holding Mcgill was getting away with in the D zone. Not to mention the McGill winning goal was on a pp where he pulled one player out of a scrum, very confusing call in such a tightly contested game. However Reid and Loney are notorious for blowing games especially important ones.

In 2002 Loney was working a game, it went to overtime and a Gatineau player intentionally knocked the net off when the puck was about to go in. Loney did not give a list of players on the ice that can shoot and allowed another player on Ottawa West to take the shot. He scored... game over, well the next game Ottawa West found out they had to play the overtime again in Gatineau. I know its been a while since this happened but if a ref cant get it right in Jr. B why is he doing such a big game at a much higher level?

All in all it was a great game it was the fastest CIS game I have ever witnessed, both teams are very good. I hope that Carleton does advance to Nationals considering how close this last game really was.

Last edited:

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Lakehead will be in tough!

Was there for there their series loss game on Saturday; believe it was a sell out crowd. Thunderwolves were strong and fast at the very start, but their play soon after died off (ran out of steam?). Telling stat for the game was Lakehead was 0-5 on the powerplay while getting scored on 2-5 when shorthanded. Bosch (goaltender) didn't have one of his better games (before getting pulled for the 3rd) but he was far from the only problem.

Even if their leading scorer for the playoffs, Cody Alcock, is fully recovered from the flu and back playing they will have a tough time against Carleton.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
I must have been watching a different game than you. McGill carried the play for the first 10 minutes. After that the shots were 35 to 17 for Carleton despite a massive descrepancy in penalty minutes in mcgills favour. Overall I think Carleton carried the play but both teams definitely played well enough to win the game. However its a shame that incompetent reffing had to make an impact on a game when both teams have worked so hard to get to this point. Mcgill had a handful of calls go in their favour including a Carleton goal that went in at the buzzer to tie the game. Either call goal or no goal would have been accepted because it was that close. The penalty call on plekaitas with 7 minutes to go was horrid. Clean hit shoulder to shoulder, the mcgill skaters helmet popped off so its an automatic penalty?... Strange timing considering the offensive zone time carleton had and the interference/holding Mcgill was getting away with in the D zone. Not to mention the McGill winning goal was on a pp where he pulled one player out of a scrum, very confusing call in such a tightly contested game. However Reid and Loney are notorious for blowing games especially important ones.

In 2002 Loney was working a game, it went to overtime and a Gatineau player intentionally knocked the net off when the puck was about to go in. Loney did not give a list of players on the ice that can shoot and allowed another player on Ottawa West to take the shot. He scored... game over, well the next game Ottawa West found out they had to play the overtime again in Gatineau. I know its been a while since this happened but if a ref cant get it right in Jr. B why is he doing such a big game at a much higher level?

All in all it was a great game it was the fastest CIS game I have ever witnessed, both teams are very good. I hope that Carleton does advance to Nationals considering how close this last game really was.

At least we can agree on the fact it was a good game.

Mcgill's defensive systems, their getting in the passing lanes, and their perfected shot blocking technique is what I'm talking about.

I was seated with two high-ranking referees (one AHL, another a CHL vet) and they both agreed that the no-goal call at the end of the 2nd period was the correct call.

What a great game of hockey, though.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
At least we can agree on the fact it was a good game.

Mcgill's defensive systems, their getting in the passing lanes, and their perfected shot blocking technique is what I'm talking about.

I was seated with two high-ranking referees (one AHL, another a CHL vet) and they both agreed that the no-goal call at the end of the 2nd period was the correct call.

What a great game of hockey, though.

Too bad they weren't working the game! I agree that either call on the goal or non goal would have been fine I was at that end of the rink so I had a good view it was literally the exact same time as the buzzer. I cant imagine a play like that wouldn't distract or discourage any team going into the locker room before the final 20 minutes. The thing that got me was every marginal call for some reason or another went in Mcgills favor. I am not saying penalties weren't deserved (except the Plekaitis 2 and 10 with 7 mintues to go) the 5 on 3 McGill had those were penalties. However it was a strange consistency all night. Right down to Reid calling for the faceoff to be outside with 45 seconds to go on a scrum play that he called from a neutral zone away.

I agree that McGill appeared to be better coached sticks in lanes, D zone etc. McGill also came out flying and dominated the first 10 minutes another sign of a better coached team more prepared. However Carleton pushed the pace and made a lot of high end skilled plays, they played with more desperation but I guess trailing that would make sense. Both goaltenders were very good, a really great game much better than the UQTR Carleton games I watched last year.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I agree that McGill appeared to be better coached sticks in lanes, D zone etc.

There's a strong case to be made that Kelly Nobes is the best coach in the OUA.

He previously coached at RMC, then Laurier. If you look at the record of those teams, and compare his record to those of his predecessor and successor, his record is vastly superior. He made RMC relevant again in the early 2000's, then took Laurier to the University Cup.

Now, he has taken McGill to 3 University Cups in 4 years, making the Championship in 2011, and winning it in 2012. Very impressive for coaching at a school with such exceptionally high academic standards.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Interesting how Windsor gets to host the Queen's Cup even though McGill had a better regular season.

Anyway I hope the game is going to be livestreamed.

Mar 1, 2013
The Queens Cup is always played in Ontario, never in Quebec.

Indeed it is, which is also one of the reasons it's a single game final and not a best-of-3. However, in an attempt to still reward the team with the better record, the game will essentially be played like a "home" game for McGill in terms of the rules but be taking place in Windsor's rink.

In other words, McGill will be wearing their white jerseys, get last change, have to put stick down second for face-offs etc., even though Windsor is hosting the game. It's a quirk in the OUA that has happened quite frequently over the last few years, as there hasn't been an all-Ontario Queen's Cup game since 2004, with McGill or UQTR winning the east for an entire decade straight, and often with a better record than the west champion.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
What's the reasoning behind it?

IIRC, it was part of the agreement when the Quebec teams joined the old OUAA 25-ish years ago. The RSEQ clubs are considered "guests" of the OUA in the men's hockey realm, so they are unable to host the Queen's Cup.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
IIRC, it was part of the agreement when the Quebec teams joined the old OUAA 25-ish years ago. The RSEQ clubs are considered "guests" of the OUA in the men's hockey realm, so they are unable to host the Queen's Cup.

You'd think they would have taken a look at that and reconsidered by now. When the three Quebec schools were granted playing rights in OUAA in 1987 I doubt anyone imagined it was going to be for this long. The QUAA had been a 7 team league (including Ottawa) before Bishop's and then Laval discontinued their varsity hockey programs in the early 80's and then UQAC a couple of years before the remaining teams moved to the OUAA (I think Sherbrooke had a team in the 70's too) - I remember at the time there being discussion that Laval was looking to re-start their program and if they did, they might re-form the QUAA (with Ottawa).

Having said all that, it's remarkable the number of league championships UQTR and McGill have won...all on the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad