2013-2014 CIS Playoffs Thread

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Looks like I'm in the extreme minority, but I'm going out on a limb and picking Windsor to beat Lakehead. Van Buskirk has been one of the top keepers in the OUA-W this season, and he's stepped it up a notch in the playoffs. And, the Lancers can certainly hang with the top teams - they are a combined 7-6 vs Carleton/UQTR/McGill/Western/Lakehead this season. I think Windsor wins game 1 at home, and then finishes it off in two.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Looks like I'm in the extreme minority, but I'm going out on a limb and picking Windsor to beat Lakehead. Van Buskirk has been one of the top keepers in the OUA-W this season, and he's stepped it up a notch in the playoffs. And, the Lancers can certainly hang with the top teams - they are a combined 7-6 vs Carleton/UQTR/McGill/Western/Lakehead this season. I think Windsor wins game 1 at home, and then finishes it off in two.

I agree with you completely - if Van Buskirk plays like he did against Western, I think Windsor will sweep. The key of course is Game 1 - Windsor pretty much has to win that game because I can't see them being down 1-0 and sweeping in front of that full house in Thunder Bay.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I know this is about men's mostly, but did anyone check out the Canada West Women's final? I didn't get a chance to go to Rutherford for the games but the Huskies won the series 2 to 1 over the Regina Cougars. The amazing thing is every game went to OT. Huskies won game 1 2-1 in double OT on Friday, the Cougars evened it up by winning game 2 2-1 in quadruple OT on Saturday and the Huskies won 2-1 in double OT to clinch the series on Sunday. They played nearly 8 extra periods or nearly 3 extra games. I suspect the Dogs will be worn out at Nationals at STU next weekend.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Would this impact his CIS status?

No - CIS Goalies are exempt when they are being used for an emergency backup, but it only applies when they are filling in on Professional Team (NHL, AHL, etc). They are not allowed to fill-in for other leagues.

I have heard they get a few bucks from the players (a volunteer kitty) for helping out, but it's not official and they can't accept any over-the-table 'official' fee for doing it.

40.10.6.2.1.7.4 A member institution may make an application (to the CIS Office Representative for eligibility) for a one game exemption to the professional participation rules for a CIS men’s hockey goalie in those instances when a professional team is requiring an “emergency” call-up. Such application must include the following information:
i) detail the traditional 'call-up' process of the professional team (from which teams in which leagues)
ii) detail the circumstances that preclude the professional team from utilizing their traditional 'call-up' process
iii) detail when contact was made requesting the emergency 'call-up', who initiated the contact, and who were all the parties involved in the contact
iv) please confirm the regulations of the professional jurisdiction relating to the number of goalies that must be dressed for any game
v) contact information to enable a CIS invoice in the amount of $300 to be forwarded to the professional team.

Last edited:

CanWestFan

Mar 19, 2011
I know this is about men's mostly, but did anyone check out the Canada West Women's final? I didn't get a chance to go to Rutherford for the games but the Huskies won the series 2 to 1 over the Regina Cougars. The amazing thing is every game went to OT. Huskies won game 1 2-1 in double OT on Friday, the Cougars evened it up by winning game 2 2-1 in quadruple OT on Saturday and the Huskies won 2-1 in double OT to clinch the series on Sunday. They played nearly 8 extra periods or nearly 3 extra games. I suspect the Dogs will be worn out at Nationals at STU next weekend.

Got to take in all 3 games and it was a real great series...hard fought games by the provincial rivals.

Upon watching the replay of their series winning goal I noticed that it was scored from the same spot on almost an identical play (and the puck being tipped before going in) as the Huskies men's team series winning goal in triple OT 2 years ago over Calgary. Little bit of Rutherford magic!!

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
First one goes to Carleton in the East. McGill was ahead in the game 2-0, but gave 5 goals without responding.

Too bad this is a 2 out of 3 series, cause McGill already has their back against the wall.

Time to see if that Carleton team can get it done. Last year, they won the first game against UQTR, but couldn't adjust their gameplan to the changes the Patriotes made during the second game.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Pretty sure the OUA East runner-up hosts the wild card game no matter what - hosting is based on regular season record. The requirement of the Queen's Cup to be hosted by the Ontario-based team with the best regular season record has not applied to the wild card in the past (most recent examples: Windsor at UQTR in 2012 and Western at UQTR in 2010). McGill and Carleton both finished well ahead of Windsor and Lakehead in regular season points.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
So has the real Lakehead returned? Soundly defeated by Windsor 7-1 last night. I've not been sold on them all year given their light regular season schedule in the first half and a rather pedestrinan 6-5-3 record in the second half when their schedule got a little tougher. The biggest surprise in the OUA playoffs so far (to me anyway) is the ease with which they dispatched Ryerson in the last round. Had that not happened, last night's result would less shocking. Having said that, it's just one game. But Windsor has played great in the playoffs - they are now 5-1 and should have won all 3 games against Western.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
First one goes to Carleton in the East. McGill was ahead in the game 2-0, but gave 5 goals without responding.

Too bad this is a 2 out of 3 series, cause McGill already has their back against the wall.

Time to see if that Carleton team can get it done. Last year, they won the first game against UQTR, but couldn't adjust their gameplan to the changes the Patriotes made during the second game.

McGill played a stupid game. They spent most of the night trash talking and trying to intimidate the Ravens into taking penalties. Both of McGill's goals which came early in the 1st were on the PP and after that the Raven's didn't bite too often on the harassment and backed up by some excellent goalkeeping by Francis Dupuis (who is really underrated) easily took the win.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
McGill played a stupid game. They spent most of the night trash talking and trying to intimidate the Ravens into taking penalties. Both of McGill's goals which came early in the 1st were on the PP and after that the Raven's didn't bite too often on the harassment and backed up by some excellent goalkeeping by Francis Dupuis (who is really underrated) easily took the win.

Dupuis really came out of nowhere this year, especially after the numbers he posted last year and almost no CHL experience.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Acadia up 2 game to 0 after 3-0 win over SMU (2 ENG)

Alberta destroys Calgary 8-1 in game 1 of CW final....can we just give them the University Cup now? I can't see anyone beating them this year.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Dupuis really came out of nowhere this year, especially after the numbers he posted last year and almost no CHL experience.

He was MVP of the RBC for the Pembroke Lumber Kings when they won it all a couple years ago. Not totally out of no where.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Acadia up 2 game to 0 after 3-0 win over SMU (2 ENG)

Alberta destroys Calgary 8-1 in game 1 of CW final....can we just give them the University Cup now? I can't see anyone beating them this year.

Unless of course UNB doesn't lose to SMU. Then it's a different story?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I think UNB would have had a decent chance against them for sure, but I said right from the beginning of the season that Alberta had to be considered the favourite this year based on the fact they weren't losing too much off last year's team, and they have done nothing to change my mind. I would love for the AUS representative to prove me wrong...but the Bears are looking unbeatable right now.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Add one new team to the CIS picture. Windsor over Lakehead 6-2 to win the best-of-3 series 2-0. Lakehead had a 2-0 lead. Windsor will play the winner of Carleton-McGill (series tied at 1 each after 3-2 McGill win). Loser will play Lakehead for OUA wildcard in one game.

And, you can add the #1 seed to the mix. UofA over Cal 2-1 to win the series 2-0.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
And Alberta sweeps Calgary with a 2-1 win tonight to win CW. This pretty much assures they will go into the University Cup ranked #1 and will be in the afternoon pool with OUA #2/OUA #3 with the AUS Champ/OUA Champ/Saskatchewan in the evening pool.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
****ing great win by Windsor! :handclap:

Great considering how many posters that Lakehead would win in two, except for the minority.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
And Alberta sweeps Calgary with a 2-1 win tonight to win CW. This pretty much assures they will go into the University Cup ranked #1 and will be in the afternoon pool with OUA #2/OUA #3 with the AUS Champ/OUA Champ/Saskatchewan in the evening pool.

My hopes for the OUA are Windsor, McGill and Carleton, in no particular order, but I do have a soft spot for Marty Johnston because he played at Dal when I was there. Any 2 of the 3 will give U of A a good game while the OUA #1 should provide a solid opponent in the evening pool. Lakehead does not "deserve" to be there, given the poor showing against the Lancers.
Best of luck to Dave Adolph, but I have to root for the AUS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad