CoconutHockey*

A lot of very interesting games tonight:

AUS
Saint Mary's wins 2-1 in 2OT over UNB
- Anthony Peters stood on his head, UNB outshooting SMU 51-26

Acadia wins 5-2 over Moncton

OUA
McGill wins 4-3 in OT over UQTR
- This one was a crazy game. I catched the 3rd period of it, one of the best game I've watched in my entire life. McGill scored with 4 minutes left to tie the game at 2, only to see UQTR score one with under a minute to play. McGill got a couple scoring chances in the dying moments and they buried one with 4 seconds left to force OT. Former AHLer Cedric McNicoll ended it in OT and the Redmen are going back to Montreal with a 1-0 lead.

Carleton wins 6-2 over Queens
- Looked like a walk in the park for the Ravens. This one was Carleton's 16th straight win. With all the attention that the McGill-UQTR series is getting, Carleton are surprisingly going under the radar in the OUA East, they could very well end up being a contender in Saskatoon this year.

Lakehead wins 7-0 over Ryerson
- Don't know what happened to Ryerson who were up 7-0 on the shot clock at the point in the first period and ended up outshooting Lakehead 44-36 despite the loss. Impressive showing by the Lakehead after a rough stretch to finish the season.

Overall, a very interesting night in the CIS. I am looking forward to see how UNB and UQTR are going to bounce back after tough losses tonight.

Anyone else watched any games? Thoughts?

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Gotta say it was a great game in Trois-Rivières last night. The reason I've been lobbying for the top OUA teams to face each other more often. Very physical, some of those hits would have sent me to the ER, but well played with 40 men willing to give it their all. That game should be a poster boy to show to medias what CIS hockey is all about.

McGill finding a last second way to hurt UQTR... again. It's been that way for UQTR for their last six series during playoff time.

I don't see how the Patriotes can bounce back from this. They're hurt, mentally after that last second lost, but mostly physically.

They're playing without Pierre-Olivier Morin, Billy Lacasse, Marc-Olivier Mimar and lost Yannick Dubé during his first shift last night. That's four out of the six best offensive players UQTR has that are out of the lineup.

Fortunetly for them, the next game is on saturday. From what I've been told, Lacasse and Mimar might be back. Plus, that will give them an extra day to rest their mental wounds.

As for McGill... man, Cedric Lalonde-McNicoll is something. Played a great game tonight in front of people who used to cheer for him when he was a junior player. A dazzling player who will take McGill to the National championship.

However, something weird happened during the game. After 60 minutes, we tought we'd have the usual 10 minutes overtime, then everybody going back to their locker room before a 20 minutes sudden death overtime.

But McGill's coach Kelly Nobes showed up a paper (a printed email). Seems like there is a new rule in the OUA stating that it's up to the referees to decide if the first overtime is going to be a 10 minutes or a 20 minutes period.

Refs didn't seem to know about it and UQTR coaches confirmed to us after the game that they never heard about this rule.

The whole thing leaves me wondering. Sure seems bush league, but I wouldn't be surprised at all. Still, having real, 20 minutes, overtime is great news to me. Those 10 minutes overtime we're more about not giving a goal than scoring one.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
However, something weird happened during the game. After 60 minutes, we tought we'd have the usual 10 minutes overtime, then everybody going back to their locker room before a 20 minutes sudden death overtime.

But McGill's coach Kelly Nobes showed up a paper (a printed email). Seems like there is a new rule in the OUA stating that it's up to the referees to decide if the first overtime is going to be a 10 minutes or a 20 minutes period.

Refs didn't seem to know about it and UQTR coaches confirmed to us after the game that they never heard about this rule.

The whole thing leaves me wondering. Sure seems bush league, but I wouldn't be surprised at all. Still, having real, 20 minutes, overtime is great news to me. Those 10 minutes overtime we're more about not giving a goal than scoring one.

Wow. I've never heard of a rule like that before. I've also never heard of the officials being completely oblivious to it. Strange. Strange.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
A statement game by the Ravens at the Icehouse last night. They dominated in every aspect . They came out to prove to Queen's that they are bigger, faster and more skilled and Queen's had no response and were only in the game playing with a 5 on 3 advantage. Ravens looked like a team on a mission (emphasis on team) and with a couple tweeks in the discipline department should roll through the OUA baring injuries or suspensions.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
A statement game by the Ravens at the Icehouse last night. They dominated in every aspect . They came out to prove to Queen's that they are bigger, faster and more skilled and Queen's had no response and were only in the game playing with a 5 on 3 advantage. Ravens looked like a team on a mission (emphasis on team) and with a couple tweeks in the discipline department should roll through the OUA baring injuries or suspensions.

Sounds like their potential tilt with McGill should be epic.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
OUA will have three teams at this years Nationals.
So, do the two conference runner up's play off for third place, for the right to go to Saskatoon?

I was searching for this on the OUA and CIS sites the other day and couldn't find it. But what you described is how they did it in 2010 when McGill and Lakehead were the two divisional winners and UQTR and Western were the two divisional runner-ups - UQTR beat Western in a one game playoff. For those who did not know or don't remember, Western had one of the epic meldowns of all-time (even worse than the Leafs against Boston last year) in a 31 second span with less that two minutes to go in the game - have a look at the summary http://www.leaguestat.com/oua/men/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=21333

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
OUA will have three teams at this years Nationals.
So, do the two conference runner up's play off for third place, for the right to go to Saskatoon?

Correct - the two Runner-ups play a single game elimination at the home of the team with the better record. Always tough as it's a long trip either way - OUA-West to UQTR.

This wasn't too bad when a school would host the Queen's Cup as everyone was already there.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I was searching for this on the OUA and CIS sites the other day and couldn't find it. But what you described is how they did it in 2010 when McGill and Lakehead were the two divisional winners and UQTR and Western were the two divisional runner-ups - UQTR beat Western in a one game playoff. For those who did not know or don't remember, Western had one of the epic meldowns of all-time (even worse than the Leafs against Boston last year) in a 31 second span with less that two minutes to go in the game - have a look at the summary http://www.leaguestat.com/oua/men/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=21333

Yup - giving up 3 goals in 30secs isn't the way to victory

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
I was there. That was easily the most spectacular turnaround I've ever seen in a hockey game. You don't write scenarios like that one.

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Lakehead wins the 2nd game against Ryerson 5-1 and is on to the OUA West Finals to face either Western or Windsor.

Western is up one game to none - game 2 is Saturday night @ Windsor.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Alberta 5-1 over UBC, shots 45-18. Birds had only 5 shots on goal entering the third period.
Calgary 5-1 over Manitoba, shots 30-27, it looks like Calgary took advantage of thier chances.

Barring an upset of the Dino's, It looks like the two best teams in the West are destined to meet next weekend for the CanadaWest final. The best of 3 will take place at Claire Drake Arena, as the first place team doesn't have to play a single road game. No team in the OUA or AUS has such an advantage such as this. At times, I think that the first game for Alberta (University Cup)is a bit of a culture shock when advancing to the National stage on neutral ice?
I am predicting this year in Saskatoon, that the Bears will be in that final game, they are deep up front and on the back end and goaltending looks to be solid. Maybe the Dino's can reach to another level and push the Bears to 3 games?

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
Queen's with an empty net goal and a 2-0 shutout over Carelton, that series will go 3 games.

Game ended 2-1, Carleton scored with 16 secs left but that's irrelevant. The game story is about a Queen's team fighting for it's survival, blocking shots, taking away space and time and keeping the Raven's shooters to the outside. Gaels came out determined and extremely focused and the Raven's didn't match that intensity. It seemed as if the Gael's learned a lesson from Wednesdays defeat. the lesson being Carleton's pointmen controlling the offensive zone and the Gaels were taking away those options. Gaels were great at clearing rebounds which their goalie Baillie gives up frequently. This game was about goalkeeping with both Baillie and Dupuis only giving up 1 goal each (2nd Gaels goal was EN). You know what they say about hot goalies in the playoffs.

CoconutHockey*

Quite of few upsets last night ...

Not even an hour after UNB's season dramatically ended, Western were upset by a surprising Windsor team.

Also an honorable mention to Queens who gave Carleton all they could handle in OUA East. The McGill-Carleton one is going to be an interesting one, as McGill is coming off a sweep against its long-term rivals UQTR.

Any predictions for the OUA finals?
I say Lakehead in 2 and McGill in 3 with Carleton over Windsor for the wild card to the national championships.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com

Not even an hour after UNB's season dramatically ended, Western were upset by a surprising Windsor team.

Also an honorable mention to Queens who gave Carleton all they could handle in OUA East. The McGill-Carleton one is going to be an interesting one, as McGill is coming off a sweep against its long-term rivals UQTR.

I say Lakehead in 2 and McGill in 3 with Carleton over Windsor for the wild card to the national championships.

Second straight year Western has lost a game 3 at home in 2nd rd. Tough for such a good program, but such is life in the OUA West - top-to-bottom, the deepest division in the country.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Windsor upend Lakehead. In many ways, game 1 is key - if Windsor can hold fort at home, they can go up north only needing a split.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON

Windsor beating Western was not really that big of an upset - they split fairly one-sided victories in the regular season, and I figured going in that any of the the 8 OUA West playoff teams other than York had a chance to win the division - there's not much between all of these teams. I also felt that Western and Windsor were the two best teams in the OUA West and that it was going to be close.

The big surprise for me has been Lakehead. Beating York in the first round was not a surprise, but the way they seemed to handle Ryerson with ease (7-0 and 5-1) was pretty shocking because the one thing Ryerson did really well during much of the year is score goals. So maybe Lakehead has peaked at the right time. I'll still take Windsor and the West champs. My heart says Carleton in the East but my head says McGill.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
Windsor beating Western was not really that big of an upset - they split fairly one-sided victories in the regular season, and I figured going in that any of the the 8 OUA West playoff teams other than York had a chance to win the division - there's not much between all of these teams. I also felt that Western and Windsor were the two best teams in the OUA West and that it was going to be close.

The big surprise for me has been Lakehead. Beating York in the first round was not a surprise, but the way they seemed to handle Ryerson with ease (7-0 and 5-1) was pretty shocking because the one thing Ryerson did really well during much of the year is score goals. So maybe Lakehead has peaked at the right time. I'll still take Windsor and the West champs. My heart says Carleton in the East but my head says McGill.

The Ravens are hard to beat on home ice and they get the extra home game.

CoconutHockey*

The Ravens are hard to beat on home ice and they get the extra home game.

True that. Carleton beat McGill twice on home ice this year. Should be an interesting match-up. I expect Carleton to try and intimidate McGill on Wednesday night, acknowledging they might not be the best team on paper.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I haven't see a lot of Carleton, but they have come to UNB twice over the past 2 years. They gave UNB a good run this Fall.

For the OUA - I'm going with Carleton in 3 over McGill and Lakehead in 2 over Windsor and Carleton as the Queen's Cup champion with McGill over Windsor for the Wild-Card

As for the AUS - Acadia in 3. The last time UNB was swept by an upstart (SFX in 2010) they were swept themselves in the finals and I suspect the same thing this time. Acadia has the Mojo.

Out west - Calgary has beaten Alberta this season and this will represent the 9-10-(& possible 11th) games this season. So if anyone can do it it's Calgary, but I have to go with Alberta in 3.

Given this scenario - the pools would look like.

Pool A (Afternoon) - Alberta, Lakehead & McGill
Pool B (Evening) - Acadia, Carleton & USask

Alberta vs Acadia in the Finals - Acadia Wins their 3rd title.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The last time UNB were swept, SMU played SFX and dominated them by adapting their game plan. Acadia may win the series, but I can't see them doing it in 3 games. SMU has the edge in goal, ACA has more experienced defence and SMU has more guys that can put the puck in the net. SMU does NOT have 63-13-17, but if they can shut that line down they have a good chance. ACA will likely be without Anderson for one game due to Major penalty in last game for Head Hit. That will impact the Axemen as he is on the PK and 1/3 of a very good, hard working line with Gaynor and Ekelman.
Acadia won all 4 games this year, two 1 goal wins against Curtis Black in the 1st half and 5-1, 5-2 wins over Anthony Peters. SMU also lost 4 to UNB this year and we all know how that turned out for the Red Army. I'm looking forward to a good series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad