2013-2014 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
Agreed man. He is a great skater. What I love is that even if he doesn't pan out in terms of offence, he still has the grittiness, tenacity and size to make it as a solid third liner. Does anyone know what this kid is going to do next year? I know he isn't under contract in Sweden from what I remember; I would hope he gets a contract and plays AHL minutes next year.

I actually wouldn't mind him going to Windsor next year. I know he would be facing weaker competition but he would get top line minutes and perhaps develop the offensive side to his game abit more.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not that we didn't know that already....but a french article on Nygren who simply says...."NHL or Sweden". Key points of this interview:

1- Never want to go back in the AHL, but still wants to play in the Montreal organization.

2- Habs management didn't like his decision to go back, but seems that Nygren was able to make them understand where he is coming from.

3- Only a few conversations with Christer Rockstron, scout, but has no idea of what the plans are for him. But clearly, both sides aren,t talking that much to each other.

4- Still a dream for him to play in the NHL.

5- No comments from the Habs management.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2014/04/06/la-lnh-ou-la-suede

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Not that we didn't know that already....but a french article on Nygren who simply says...."NHL or Sweden". Key points of this interview:

1- Never want to go back in the AHL, but still wants to play in the Montreal organization.

2- Habs management didn't like his decision to go back, but seems that Nygren was able to make them understand where he is coming from.

3- Only a few conversations with Christer Rockstron, scout, but has no idea of what the plans are for him. But clearly, both sides aren,t talking that much to each other.

That's the same situation we had with Emelin, i don't see a problem there. I'm actually pleased he confirmed he wants to come to next camp.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
That's the same situation we had with Emelin, i don't see a problem there. I'm actually pleased he confirmed he wants to come to next camp.

I believe I brought this up in another thread. As long as he wants to play here I dont think we should worry.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004

Woww, 12 goals and 8 assists in 25 games in Sweden League. That's about 40 goals in a season.....for a D !

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I just find the criticism of McCarron comes from some unnatural expectations from the fans.

"McCarron isn't driving the offense, what the hell, bust?"

When it's clear he was drafted because he's a big boy, with good hands for his size, offensive tools. But he's not going to be the guy bringing the puck in the zone and distributing the puck for other players for easy goals. He's going to be the guy retrieving the puck, being heavy on the forecheck, getting in the goalies kitchen, tipping shots, popping in pucks from close. He's the guy that can play on a skilled line, moderate the physicality, and still put up some points.

He was drafted as a complementary player not as an offensive catalyst.

If I was in charge of Mcarron, I would make him slave on two things: Skating, and: Shot.

Potential 20 goal version of John Leclair, but bigger and tougher. If he works very hard on his shot, especially snap one timers, and can at least keep up with fast line mates. Potentially the type of player that scores that dirty OT goal just when you need it in PO. :)

Last edited:

Habitants

Oct 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
hopefully Nygren will get a shot at the lineup or they can use him in a trade. too bad really for Hamilton.

The main issue with the Habs farm team currently:
The team is not good, missing the playoffs twice is not a great way to bring up young players. they need to improve this next season.

The team in Hamilton, maybe not the great location according to Nygren, i wonder how this will play out in the future with the rumors they would move to the new stadium in Laval

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
hopefully Nygren will get a shot at the lineup or they can use him in a trade. too bad really for Hamilton.

The main issue with the Habs farm team currently:
The team is not good, missing the playoffs twice is not a great way to bring up young players. they need to improve this next season.

The team in Hamilton, maybe not the great location according to Nygren, i wonder how this will play out in the future with the rumors they would move to the new stadium in Laval

The problem right now is the location of the team. A lot of issues will be resolved with the move to Laval.

Joe Lamb

Mar 12, 2004
downeast

I'm tired of this being repeated to make it sound like Hamilton is a hellhole. Is Montreal all that much better ? At the WJrs , 3 of our group of 80 got mugged or pickpocketed, so Swedish cities aren't utopia either.

I think this is a smokescreen, he was homesick. If that was the case, what's to say it won't happen again.

I say trade his ass and give his spot to Pateryn.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Thoughts on de la Rose? Upside? Potential 2nd or 3rd liner? Is Backes a good comparison?

I think the big problem with prospects or peoples expectations for them, is all players not named Gretzky, Orr, Beliveau or Mario Lemieux, just need time to evolve their game to the NHL level. Galchenyuk has been brought along slowly on the 3rd line as all Hab future stars were like Lafleur. When their game becomes both defensively sound to match the offensive attributes or specialties, then they are cut loose to create.

Too much expectations too quickly can ruin young aspiring hockey players, the Habs have done their fair share of this in the past, therefore Quebec coaches are very aware of this. Therrien is one of the best at this job, as witnessed by his work in Pittsburgh, Eller, Gallagher & Galchenyuk are prime examples of learning the right way. As is Plekanec one of the best two-way forwards in hockey since the Jacques Lemaire days.

DLR will be a good pro capable of playing any position in the top nine, if necessary as will most of Timmins 1st round picks IMO. The development, or proper development takes time, and comparisons to acknowledged stars like David Backes, while accurate just puts more pressure on these youngsters.

Sit back and watch their development into solid young pros, and leave their progress to guys like Rick Dudley, Martin Lapointe, and the pros as they bring our prospects to fruition. This is where they earn their money and rightfully so, a lifetime of hardwork in hockey gives them insight that most people only glimpse rarely.

Let McCarron, Crisp, Lehkonen, Hudon et al learn the ropes, so to speak, from the best minds Bergevin can hire and he does seem to find the best.:handclap:

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
I'm tired of this being repeated to make it sound like Hamilton is a hellhole. Is Montreal all that much better ? At the WJrs , 3 of our group of 80 got mugged or pickpocketed, so Swedish cities aren't utopia either.

I think this is a smokescreen, he was homesick. If that was the case, what's to say it won't happen again.

I think most of the repeating is being done by Hab or Bulldog fans. Or
maybe,to an extent the media. If you are recommending we trade their
collective *****, I'm good with that.
As to trading a prospect because he didn't like Hamilton. This isn't a
good way to run a hockey team.

I doubt there are any Utopia out there. But any city where he speaks
and understands the language easily and naturally, will feel a lot safer.
And sometimes it actually makes it safer.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004

With all due respect, Laval or Montreal simply are that much better. Hamilton isn't a hell hole by any means, but man that place is grungy. Went to watch Carey Price in the Calder Cup finals and was pretty amazed at how many bums/weirdos there were everywhere. Not to say that's the whole city, as I'm sure there are nice areas, but I stayed near the arena and it really was a grimy experience.

I can't really blame the guy, I'd much rather play pro and live in Sweden, or "home" for him, if it didn't hamper my chances to play in the NHL in the long run. For him, it's all about camp next year and I wouldn't be in any rush to trade him.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
The problem right now is the location of the team. A lot of issues will be resolved with the move to Laval.

Beyond proximity to Montreal, what other issues are you referring to? It seems like moving the team to Quebec opens up some issues for the players as well. (higher taxes, longer road trips on average, the reign of terror against english people, etc)

Rikiki Bousquet

Oct 3, 2012
Beyond proximity to Montreal, what other issues are you referring to? It seems like moving the team to Quebec opens up some issues for the players as well. (higher taxes, longer road trips on average, the reign of terror against english people, etc)

I was going to say that I agree with you but...

My, my... The reign of terror against english people ?

And, of all places, in Laval ?

I sincerely hope you're joking.

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal

- being able to keep a closer eye on our players
- getting them more accustomed to the big team
- faster call ups
- some players just seem to hate Hamilton

Also, I doubt the tax difference is huge between Hamilton and Montreal and are the road trips really going to be any longer?? I won't even answer your 3rd point

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
I was going to say that I agree with you but...

My, my... The reign of terror against english people ?

And, of all places, in Laval ?

I sincerely hope you're joking.

half kidding. maybe i was employing too much hyperbole. french language laws dont exactly make incoming english feel 'welcome'. the popularity of pauline marois doesnt scream 'welcome' either.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
- being able to keep a closer eye on our players
- getting them more accustomed to the big team
- faster call ups
- some players just seem to hate Hamilton

Also, I doubt the tax difference is huge between Hamilton and Montreal and are the road trips really going to be any longer?? I won't even answer your 3rd point

yes road trips will be longer. also, which players ( you say some - implying multiple) have come out publicly saying they hate hamilton?

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

Wow :laugh:

Hamilton doesn't seem to be a fun city to live in. Laval is certainly not a paradise city either, but it's better. Crowds at the game would be bigger, since it would be in Habs territory. There would be more exposure on the team because local media wouldn't have to drive far to follow the team and go to home games. It would prepare the young players to the coverage they will get with the Habs, on a smaller scale. It be easier for the team staff to work with the kids too, Waite could go take care of the goaltenders of both teams, and they could teach the system easier, having the actual NHL team coaches show it.

Who the hell cares about taxes? Players in the AHL probably won't see the difference since Québec taxes depend of your salary. You don't necessarily pay more in Québec compared to elsewhere, it depends of the salary. Riches certainly get more taxed, but the difference wouldn't be felt much on a 65k salary.

Last edited:

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

wow ! reign of terror ? :nopity:

Joe Lamb

Mar 12, 2004
downeast
But any city where he speaks
and understands the language easily and naturally, will feel a lot safer.

Sweden teaches English, starting in the early grades. Has done this at least since WW2. Did not meet a single person in Sweden that did not speak English, most without an accent. Over half of the TV shows are in English with no subtitles.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
half kidding. maybe i was employing too much hyperbole. french language laws dont exactly make incoming english feel 'welcome'. the popularity of pauline marois doesnt scream 'welcome' either.

I was going to comment on Marois' popularity but the election isn't over yet...

Joe Lamb

Mar 12, 2004
downeast
"Hamilton doesn't seem to be a fun city to live in."

Then don't live in Hamilton. Southwest Ontario is fantastic. Within less than 1 hr you can be in TO, Niagara Falls and many friendly towns.

All import junior players ( and many Canadians ) experience a major culture change.
Look at the list of teams and where they are. For that matter, look at the list of AHL cities -lots of small cities , some going thru tough economic times.

Nygren isn't the first and won't be the last to walk away. For me it indicates a lack of character and commitment. It is my opinion that I will never see him play regularly for the Habs.

Rikiki Bousquet

Oct 3, 2012

I wont jump on you or anything, but I'll say this : Come and take your time to visit.

You'll see that much of what you fear isn't actually present in real life. You, or any hockey player since we're speaking about Nygren, will see that it's pretty much the same thing as is the rest of Canada. It's french alright, but it's far from what many people think.

As for hockey, I think that living near the city will get them used to the fact that there's an unique hockey vibe here, and maybe it will lessen the impact of surprise that many young players live when called up. Living in Laval, they'll have the time to test the party scene and adapt to it before having to live it while being in the big show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad