Speculation: 2013-14 Trade Talk IV Fixing the Defense ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Agreed, if it meant Nill was pleased with his target for a top pairing blueliner for the Stars, I'd trust his valuation of said player.

If that player happens to be Edler, so be it.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
So informal poll ... do you give up the 10-15th overall pick, Alex Chiasson, and Radek Faksa/Matej Stransky/Gemel Smith/Remi Ellie for Alex Edler?

I want to say no, but honestly I'd be OK with it if Goligoski/Daley could be flipped for another forward to replace Chiasson.

aloonda*

edler seems like super duper experienced swedish connauton to me

which is good

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I wish you could get him for maybe the 1st, Fakas, and one of those other prospects, but that seems unlikely. Hell all of it seems unlikely. I just wish there was a way they could make a hockey trade by next Wednesday which is really unlikely.

Seeing Benn at the Olympics only made me want to see Benn in the playoffs that much more. He's been a beast every time it came to stepping up ... WJC, Memorial Cup, AHL Playoffs, Olympics ... we deserve a Jamie sighting in the playoffs this year. Getting really excited even though I'd rather not get my hopes up yet.

________

Feb 6, 2006
Other defensemen perhaps on the move are the same players who teams have been shopping since before the break: Winnipeg’s swingman Dustin Byfuglien, Dallas' Trevor Daley, Edmonton's Nick Schultz and Calgary's Dennis Wideman.

CSN Philadelphia

Last edited:

Primetimey*

Not really surprised about MacD, can't be that fun traveling around North America, on a bus, for $70,000 a year getting punched in the face constantly.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Reports out of PHX say they are at their internal budget, and every trade has to be matching money in and out.

Count Whitney out then. The only forward that would make sense financially, assuming Dallas retained 50% of Whitney's contract, is David Moss. He has almost identical points as Whitney, and he plays a significant role on their PK. Doesn't seem like a logical fit.

Still hope they find a way to move Whitney. ESPN pointed out something though that makes sense. Whitney was a huge disappointment in his last playoff run with PHX. We could be stuck with him. He provides depth which is great, but I think he's clearly past his prime and holding back better younger players that could help Dallas more right now. Hopefully this break somehow energized him, and this is the moment he turns it on again. That for sure could be a possibility, and it would help towards getting in.

Here's to wishful thinking I guess.

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
Reports out of PHX say they are at their internal budget, and every trade has to be matching money in and out.

Count Whitney out then. The only forward that would make sense financially, assuming Dallas retained 50% of Whitney's contract, is David Moss. He has almost identical points as Whitney, and he plays a significant role on their PK. Doesn't seem like a logical fit.

Still hope they find a way to move Whitney. ESPN pointed out something though that makes sense. Whitney was a huge disappointment in his last playoff run with PHX. We could be stuck with him. He provides depth which is great, but I think he's clearly past his prime and holding back better younger players that could help Dallas more right now. Hopefully this break somehow energized him, and this is the moment he turns it on again. That for sure could be a possibility, and it would help towards getting in.

Kinda got the feeling Phx was a long shot anyways given the playoff race we're in with them. I've heard Whitney's name has been tied to a couple of other teams as well, San Jose is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, so there should be options!

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta

Why are you so focused on Phoenix for Whitney? There's 28 other NHL teams that are out there to trade him to.

I still don't think Whitney leaves at the deadline.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
That's a hell of a salary for someone who is 24 years old without a degree.

It's not really if you can only expect to be employed for 5 - 7 more years at the most and there's a good chance you end up with some long term health effects that make you pretty much unable to find employment or enjoy life.

I mean he can come up to work in Fort McMurray as a grunt and make twice that much. Also the major health problems you'll get from coming into contact with the stuff they pull out of the ground likely won't kick in until much later in life than CTE does.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Why are you so focused on Phoenix for Whitney? There's 28 other NHL teams that are out there to trade him to.

I still don't think Whitney leaves at the deadline.

I'm not fixated on Phoenix. 20+ articles in the past month have linked him to PHX, and I've seen 3 or 4 that mentioned SJ or others.

It's more than relevant to point out a report that PHX is now looking to do ONLY cash in, cash out deals.

bug

Jun 27, 2012
Provenzano suggests in his latest ESPN Insider article the Stars could possibly trade for Girardi...

"In the event the Rangers do decide to make Girardi available on the trade market, the Stars might be in a position to part with the required assets to give them a shot at both the playoffs and at signing would likely be their premier free agent target this July."

What would you all be comfortable with offering the Rangers for Girardi at the deadline? Provenzano's estimated price tage is: First-round pick and a roster player

Do you guys like Girardi over Edler? He's already 29 compared to Edler being 27.

Ready, go!

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Provenzano suggests in his latest ESPN Insider article the Stars could possibly trade for Girardi...

"In the event the Rangers do decide to make Girardi available on the trade market, the Stars might be in a position to part with the required assets to give them a shot at both the playoffs and at signing would likely be their premier free agent target this July."

What would you all be comfortable with offering the Rangers for Girardi at the deadline? Provenzano's estimated price tage is: First-round pick and a roster player

Do you guys like Girardi over Edler? He's already 29 compared to Edler being 27.

Ready, go!

Really nothing. It would just seem asinine to give premium assets to have a CHANCE ... not a certainty ... to sign the guy.

You want to do that with a lesser guy for a 3rd or less .... sure maybe. 1st round pick+ on a gamble ... absolutely not.

I'd honestly hate to see him even come here with a pre-negotiated contract and a 1st round pick. Just wait if you really want him.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
On the Ticket ... Nill said he won't mortgage the future on a 6 week player (would seem to eliminate a Girardi type trade). They would do anything that could help them in the next 2 or 3 years. He would definitely give up a pick and more to make that happen, and he think's a trade like that could be out there (not saying it will happen, just seeming to say those things are being discussed out there).

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Nill said Robidas' original date was March 17th ... might be sooner ... doesn't want to put dates, but maybe first 2 weeks.

Also ... doesn't sound like any chance Robidas is traded.

Also significant ... Nill said people outside of hockey just don't know how important it is to have right handed guys. Klingberg is the only close rightie to the NHL ... Vance and Hansson much further away. Could be a serious push for one at the deadline or this summer.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Just the we'll do anything to make us better the next 2/3 years part. Keeping Whitney for a playoff run is the complete opposite of the mindset he was talking about in that segment.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Just the we'll do anything to make us better the next 2/3 years part. Keeping Whitney for a playoff run is the complete opposite of the mindset he was talking about in that segment.

Hmmm ... I didn't get that from that statement. Nothing you trade Whitney or likely Fiddler or Robidas is going to have any impact for 4 or more years.

I think he specifically was talking about adding players that can impact the NHL team each of the next 2 or 3 years. So .. don't kill me for the names ... just throwing out contracts I vaguely remember .... he'd add a Luke Schenn with 2 year remaining on this contract, but he's not going to add a Girardi. He'd add a Gagner with 2 more years on his contract, but he's not trading for Vanek.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Heck ... based on that comment, I think he'd add a veteran if that had 2 years left. He's not only focusing on long term core pieces.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Just view Whitney has an wasted asset if we don't trade him. Could be taking it the wrong way but was my first thought when he said it. Especially with the whole long term outlook he had in the interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia