Not open for further replies.

Caseman

Jan 23, 2008
San Jose, CA

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I don't have time to read the article to see the exact quote and its context, but doesn't "content" imply he won't be adding, but leaves open the possibility of subtracting/shipping out some of the veterans/expiring contracts?

Maybe that's just my wishful thinking.

It sounds like he doesn't expect to do much either way. This seems to actually include keeping whitney and fiddler.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
Again, why is this news? We're in a playoff hunt. You don't trade away veteran UFA's if you are contending for a spot.

Maybe things change before the deadline but I doubt we do a hell of a lot.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
I don't have time to read the article to see the exact quote and its context, but doesn't "content" imply he won't be adding, but leaves open the possibility of subtracting/shipping out some of the veterans/expiring contracts?

Maybe that's just my wishful thinking.

Well here are some excerpts:

“I think it’s going to be slow, but it just takes one team to do something,” Nill said. “We’ll see what happens. It’s very quiet right now. I think teams are going to come back and nobody really knows what they have. Some teams have injuries, some teams could still get injuries. Everyone has three or four games under their belt before the deadline, so I think more things will happen then (closer to the deadline).”

“He’s [Robidas] a great presence in the room and was one of our top three defensemen before he was injured, so we look forward to him coming back,” Nill said. “We want to be cautious, I think he has a little more time to heal, but it’s great to see the track he’s on.”

“Over the last 10 games, I think you’ve seen a lot of growth in our defense. When you look at the Jordie Benn’s and the Brenden Dillon’s and (Kevin) Connauton’s, and see how their games have grown, that’s what’s exciting. I think Goligoski and Daley have come in and they’re a pretty good 1-2 punch. They’re playing against the top players and when they’re out there, they (the opponents) don’t get the puck often. I like the way our defense is playing. Now, you’re always trying to get better, but I’m happy with where our defense is at and I’m happy with where our team is at. They key is, can we keep growing from where we finished two weeks ago? That’s the big question.”

Nill said he feels the organization has great forward depth in the AHL to handle any issues. Asked if he might consider a trade to add a boost to the forward ranks, Nill said: “I don’t think so.”

“I’m not sitting here saying I need to add a scorer,” he said. “I like our mix, I like our growth. You’ve got to be careful with additions, with the chemistry of the team and the growth of the team.”

Asked if he is aware of the history of the team not selling assets in the past at the trade deadline and possibly regretting it, Nill said: “Right now, our goal is to get into the playoffs. Would you make trades? Everybody is available in this league, but it has to be a good trade. I’m happy with where we are. If there’s something there that makes us better, we’ll do it…if it makes sense.”

Nill ironically sounded a lot like Joe Nieuwendyk when asked about the value of players in the marketplace a few years back. When asked about the fact Whitney or Fiddler could have value to other playoff teams, Nill said: “Yes, but they also have value to our team.”

“The goal for this team is to get into the playoffs every year, that’s what we’re working for,” Nill said.

Jordie used in the same sentence as Dillon and Connauton, and Heika comparing his response to Nieuwy. Interesting.

Anhero

Jul 2, 2013
Texas

d91_zpsb9cc9582.gif

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Same here. The layoff and then the return of Robidas are two big things that could mess up the current hot streak.

Especially how poorly the team responded to Daley and Gonchar's return. I still believe that had more to do with the forwards letting off the gas and not playing defense as relentlessly as they had before to support the weaker group of D. They figured with better D returning they could cheat more.

If they didn't learn their lesson, I doubt there's anyway Ruff won't make them remember and react appropriately in this situation.

More so than years past, when this team is making mistakes, they're doing a better job of either not repeating them or correcting them quicker when those bad habits creep back in.

That really could just be wishful thinking though ....

Anhero

Jul 2, 2013
Texas
So when Robidas comes back we will see,

Goligoski-Daley
Dillon-Robidas
Gonchar-Benn

What we all want to see,

Goligoski-Daley
Dillon-Robidas
Gonchar- K-Conn

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I was surprised Brandon Worley responded to Heika's article today saying he still wants to see Fiddler and Whitney moved. He thinks Morin and Sceviour are the logical replacements.

I think I'd rather see Mueller up over Morin based on the most recent viewings. Morin isn't going to be able to beat NHL defenders the way he does AHL guys, and Mueller is a better overall package. His line with Glennie and Jeffrey was the best line surprisingly some nights during the Olympic break ... although I wasn't really that impressed with Jeffrey as an individual. Mueller and Glennie were flying though.

You pull Sceviour, Mueller, and Jeffrey (13th NHL forward to travel) out of Texas, and they're still a great team.

Logical move would be to go ....

McKenzie-Morin-Glennie
Hedden-Dowling-Ritchie
Ranford-Peters-Stransky
*****-Wathier-Montgomery

You have plenty of quality guys potentially joining the team from early March to April at forward like Emil Molin, Radek Faksa, Mike Winther, Brandon Troock, Remi Elie, Cole Ully, Nick Paul, and then potential NCAA guys like Alex Guptill and Drew Shore.

Shore is 50/50 for me. He's done so much for that Maine team, but I think they'll fall short of a big run in the national tournament. I could see him wanting to prove something on that stage before turning pro, but IDK for sure. Faksa, Winther, Troock, and Paul are on playoff teams so they could be delay. Gemel Smith has a ticket to the Memorial Cup so there's no way he's joining.

Point is the depth is there to easily move Whitney or Fiddler, and Dallas could easily get a guy on waivers or as a body back in the trade where Mueller doesn't have to leave the Texas Stars.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
So when Robidas comes back we will see,

Goligoski-Daley
Dillon-Robidas
Gonchar-Benn

What we all want to see,

Goligoski-Daley
Dillon-Robidas
Gonchar- K-Conn

K-Conn has done enough IMO that at the very least we could see a rotation. I can't see him sitting for the rest of the year ... at least I hope not.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Seeing the trade proposal thread of Eriksson for Hamuis, this seems like a no brainer that I'd rather have Seguin, but it would be interesting to see our team keeping R. Smith and Hamuis on the top pair with no Seguin.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Again, why is this news? We're in a playoff hunt. You don't trade away veteran UFA's if you are contending for a spot.
Except that's exactly what we did last year, to pretty good effect, both in terms of the team's future and the immediate level of play.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
How much would you throw at Moulson on July 1st? 6 years x 6 mil?

He'd be great on the top line, allowing Nuke to do his thing on a separate line.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'd really rather not see a rental defender come in, especially if they hold on to Robidas.

Nill's comments today make me believe it's less likely they move Robidas. Nill to me sort of took Gaglardi's, "We'll make moves this year that hurt us short time for long time gain," and to me sort of insinuated he'd only do that if the gain was substantial.

So yes I liked Whitney gone for whatever, but I'd say Nill only moves him for a worthwhile assets. I think a guy like Rundblad would do that if he's available. I'm pretty sure a 2nd round pick would as well.

Robidas is likely only going to get that conditionally, and if there's no certainty of a decent asset in return .. if it's only a gamble on a team's success in the playoffs ... I think maybe he holds on to him.

I think with Whitney's rough season, it'll be hard to get the needed assets for Nill to pull the trigger, but hopefully with so few assets available to move, some one is desperate an overpays. Same with Fiddler .. if they aren't coming with 2nd's or close to NHL ready players, I think Nill doesn't pull the trigger maybe. I doubt 3rd round picks alone or enough ... maybe a 3rd and player though.

I still would like to see them get in on younger guys and hockey moves. That's rare at the deadline though.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If team's are smart, they aren't giving Moulson much more the PA Parenteau ... with cap going up I'd say anything less than $5 million.

He's a complimentary scorer, and I don't think he's as valuable unless he's playing with top end line mates. For me, he's the not the guy for Benn-Seguin, and I don't like him playing 2nd fiddle with Nichushkin.

If Dallas is seriously getting into this level of money for free agent forwards, I'm looking at Stastny first and foremost despite my aversion to these contracts. I think Stastny is a guy that could compliment Nuke ... much more than Moulson, and I'm fine with Cole, Chiasson or Ritchie as a complimentary scorer with Benn and Seguin next season. I don't think you need to spend big money on that line. One of those 3 could be just fine on the line if Nuke is ready to carry a line next season.

I'd still prefer different options than big money on free agent forwards though.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Is Brad Richards being bought out still an option or has that ship sailed? He might be cheaper.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Is Brad Richards being bought out still an option or has that ship sailed? He might be cheaper.

I think that's likely still a possibility. Depends on what happens with Callahan and Girardi ... how scared they are by the recapture penalty.

TB obviously was not willing to risk it.

MetalGodAOD*

Richards still should be bought out, no matter the circumstance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad