Speculation: 2013-14 Trade rumors and proposals - Part II

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
he's right about that from an economical POV. Buying low and selling high is the easiest way to destroy a corporation.

He has effort every 3 games once a week tops.

We dont need that. We have hungry kids maybe the talent is not there yet but at times you need to make examples.

I get no one was on board with marty going but he became a cancer.

Purcell is a cancer also at least marty was out there working each shift every game.

Is a huge difference. We do not need guys like this. He has the talent he just wont put in the work each game.

I would rather keep malone and buy out purcell at this point. That is a rough choice and sucks but is the lesser of two evils so from a corporation standpoint?

Is no win here. Cut the fat sell off.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
This may seem a bit of a strange thought, but most of us have wanted Yzerman to find Hedman a partner and one thats preferably a RHD. Since we have a lot of assets and a few extra picks built up why not try move into the top 3 in the draft and have a go at Ekblad?

I know this is far fetched and goes somewhat against Yzermans philosophy but what would you give up to get Ekblad?

I'd go with something like Connolly, Koekkoek + 1st 2015.

I don't think that get's it done at all.. but just curious to hear opinions.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This may seem a bit of a strange thought, but most of us have wanted Yzerman to find Hedman a partner and one thats preferably a RHD. Since we have a lot of assets and a few extra picks built up why not try move into the top 3 in the draft and have a go at Ekblad?

I know this is far fetched and goes somewhat against Yzermans philosophy but what would you give up to get Ekblad?

Ekblad is very hyped right now because this is a poor draft year and he's at the top of it. Up until very recently, most scouts projected him as a "Top Four" defenseman. He's getting a lot of attention now, but I'm still not reading/hearing much "Top Two" about him. I think it would be way too risky to try to move up, especially since, even if Ekblad can become a #2, it'll be years from now. We need a guy who'll be ready fairly soon.

Don't get me wrong, Ekblad is probably going to be a very good player. But he's not worth selling the farm over.

Last edited:

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012

I doubt we have the parts to get it done without giving up Palat, Johnson, Kucherov, Drouin and we would most likely have to trade up multiple times.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

from everything I have read Ekblad is not Jones even or any of say the top 5 defenders last year so no I wouldnt give up koekkoek at all. I think connolly and a first would be too much myself.

From everything I have seen he is not going to be a franchise defender. Too risky to me. This is just a very weak draft.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Ekblad is a good player and would be a complement to Hedman because he's a RD but if Koekkoek reaches his potential you're trading Connolly + 1st in a deep draft for a small upgrade on D. Koekkoek has top pair potential but will most likely settle as a #3 in Carle's spot, Ekblad has top pair potential and will most likely play there because he's a RHD. Connolly + 2015 1st can get us a RD, not as good as Ekblad, that we can use on the top pair and we'd still have Koekkoek to replace Carle. Not a good trade to me.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
A lot of you are also operating under the presumption that Ekblad will be an immediate, and high effective addition which is a gigantic and potentially foolish risk. It took Hedman 300 games to really round into form, and it'll likely take Ekblad to do the same - we don't have a "Chara" that you can hide him with.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
A lot of you are also operating under the presumption that Ekblad will be an immediate, and high effective addition which is a gigantic and potentially foolish risk. It took Hedman 300 games to really round into form, and it'll likely take Ekblad to do the same - we don't have a "Chara" that you can hide him with.

Not saying that he will jump in and make and immediate impact. But by all means it looks like he'll be a great defensman in a few years.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not saying that he will jump in and make and immediate impact. But by all means it looks like he'll be a great defensman in a few years.

He might not be all that much better than what we have though. He's the best defenseman in this draft, but this draft is very poor. There's no guarantee Ekblad will ever become a #2. Up until very recently he was projected to be a middle pairing guy, and I can't help but think a lot of the hype he's getting lately has more to do with the draft getting closer than level-headed scouting.

I don't think we'd want to give a huge package for a guy who might turn out to be a marginal upgrade over Koekkoek.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Are you serious?

You bet your ass i'm serious, completely serious. Hes shooting a paltry 7% and we know when surrounded by finishers he is capable of being a 50-65 point winger. So, instead, we ship him off not unlike Detroit letting Flip walk, and get next to nothing for him now, which is just stupid.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
You bet your ass i'm serious, completely serious. Hes shooting a paltry 7% and we know when surrounded by finishers he is capable of being a 50-65 point winger. So, instead, we ship him off not unlike Detroit letting Flip walk, and get next to nothing for him now, which is just stupid.

He is a hidrance to the team moving forward. Is plain and simple he does not bring the game this team needs.

I could care less what we get for him at this point he is not CORE to the future.

I care on the CORE and what is going to make us a stanley cup team. Teddy Purcell brings NOTHING to that I have seen. We do not need him so if we get rid of him for a seventh at this point which (we will get more than that) I am satisfied with cutting our losses.

I want two way players or guys with super high scoring ability so will overlook say drouin and hope he becomes a great two way guy.

Yet give me all day flipper johnson thompson callahan palat's.

All day

Browns kucherov's and killorns. I can live with those guys.

Teddy? I would trade for a seventh cause he flat out is hurting the team and kids by his style of play.

So yes can get mad about losing a guy who has potential to be a 50-65 point guy but is even or worse plus minus on whatever line he plays no matter how GREAT the other two players you put with him?

I don't want Ovechkins. I want GAMERS and Teddy in no way shape or form has ever been a gamer.

I am detroit and tampa fan. I have to live through each year of the hudler argument but was one for cutting him loose for the money cause his defense sucks.

TWO WAY PLAY WINS we have seen this.

If stamkos has to spend over half his time covering for teddy that doesnt work.

Give me a guy who can pot 35 but play solid D and will take him over the teddy purcells every day of week:)

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
For a bottom-of-the-roster player, there will be a lot of interest in Leo Komorov as a free agent this summer. The Leafs, Avalanche and Lightning are among those who’d like a piece of Komorov .

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/05/re-signing-bolland-should-be-leafs-top-off-season-priority

Would love having Leo here. Could be fit for any line and be kinda the spark plug we could use to bring the effort every night. Also winning team, and line usage should attract him.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
He is a hidrance to the team moving forward. Is plain and simple he does not bring the game this team needs.

I could care less what we get for him at this point he is not CORE to the future.

I care on the CORE and what is going to make us a stanley cup team. Teddy Purcell brings NOTHING to that I have seen. We do not need him so if we get rid of him for a seventh at this point which (we will get more than that) I am satisfied with cutting our losses.

I want two way players or guys with super high scoring ability so will overlook say drouin and hope he becomes a great two way guy.

Yet give me all day flipper johnson thompson callahan palat's.

All day

Browns kucherov's and killorns. I can live with those guys.

Teddy? I would trade for a seventh cause he flat out is hurting the team and kids by his style of play.

So yes can get mad about losing a guy who has potential to be a 50-65 point guy but is even or worse plus minus on whatever line he plays no matter how GREAT the other two players you put with him?

I don't want Ovechkins. I want GAMERS and Teddy in no way shape or form has ever been a gamer.

I am detroit and tampa fan. I have to live through each year of the hudler argument but was one for cutting him loose for the money cause his defense sucks.

TWO WAY PLAY WINS we have seen this.

If stamkos has to spend over half his time covering for teddy that doesnt work.

Give me a guy who can pot 35 but play solid D and will take him over the teddy purcells every day of week:)

Perfect, now you tell me who we have on this roster that can "pot 35 and play solid D" on this roster.

Purcell has been wildly inconsistent this year but you can't deny the fact that you complain about not playing defense and Purcell has rounded his game out quite nicely so far against slightly weaker competition, and his shooting % is in the *******... these aren't trends that traditionally continue for a guy like him.

Stamkos on the other hand has played some rather atrocious defense since returning, for various reasons, and some of them I don't hold against him. He takes bad routes and overskates on the forecheck, leaving the middle exposed, and his only saving grace is his speed getting him back into the play and out of trouble. I don't see the great two way player that you seem to, and thats why Coop and the staff challenged him to play defense, and it was something Guy was trying to grind into his skull until he was fired.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I too would love to have Komarov here. He seems like a great guy and is loved by the fans and teammates everywhere. He also has some surprising skills for a grinder. Do it Yzerman!

I dont like him for us would take paquette more scoring upside bigger.

Leo is small yes he hits but doesnt block a ton of shots. I do not see the need myself he is small even though plays bigger. I get the checking thing but paquette has that game.

Erne will have that game etc. Think brown is better defensively much rather keep pyatt myself just do not see a need to waste a roster spot when we already seem tapped with too many bodies as is.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

Leo is small yes he hits but doesnt block a ton of shots. I do not see the need myself he is small even though plays bigger. I get the checking thing but paquette has that game.

Erne will have that game etc. Think brown is better defensively much rather keep pyatt myself just do not see a need to waste a roster spot when we already seem tapped with too many bodies as is.

Leo would be a great signing for this team, and much better than Paquette (at least for the next couple of years) and Pyatt

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011

Or we could let Paquette play a scoring role in Syracuse and just use Komarov as a filler till he's ready.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Perfect, now you tell me who we have on this roster that can "pot 35 and play solid D" on this roster.

Purcell has been wildly inconsistent this year but you can't deny the fact that you complain about not playing defense and Purcell has rounded his game out quite nicely so far against slightly weaker competition, and his shooting % is in the *******... these aren't trends that traditionally continue for a guy like him.

Stamkos on the other hand has played some rather atrocious defense since returning, for various reasons, and some of them I don't hold against him. He takes bad routes and overskates on the forecheck, leaving the middle exposed, and his only saving grace is his speed getting him back into the play and out of trouble. I don't see the great two way player that you seem to, and thats why Coop and the staff challenged him to play defense, and it was something Guy was trying to grind into his skull until he was fired.

Thompson if moved up could do 35 and play defense pyatt is a maybe kucherov absolutely could do it. I say vladdy namestnikov can do it all day right now.

Purcell has rounded out his game?

He kills more offense than any guy I have watched regularly in last 5 years except daniel cleary for detroit. He makes so many mistakes the last game at least 5 in first two periods huge mistakes he will back check once in awhile and make a good play but will not ever hit a guy even if the cup was on line and he is last guy near a guy he wouldnt touch the guy.

You build your teams however you like I have seen ones that win and those that dont. Teddy just aint got the game to be here that is needed.

We have ZERO use or need for teddy. 4.5 million what a joke. I have never liked what I deem to be soft players when we get there to boston in next couple years and have teddy you might realize as he disappears entirely in the playoffs or even worse costs us the playoffs I am correct. Its time to move on.

I do not see teddy as a 65 point player will be lucky to ever break 50 again. He doesnt have the heart for it either. You got to know when to cut losses.

Some you win some you lose. Yet you do what is best overall.

If situation was even different two years malone one of teddy at this point I probably buy out teddy myself he is that bad for what is being built.

I get people like to live in past. I get we all have guys we like MSL Lecavalier Teddy etc. Sometimes it just doesnt work out and when its time its time.

I all day give shots to panik connolly drouin kucherov brown paquette and any other kid over teddy at this point. We got enough other guys who are playmakers can score decently we need a mentality to beat BOSTON they are the target and I get this even if others do not or want to remain in past.

Teddy is a square peg in a round hole at this point. You move on no regrets thanks for your years and dedication we are going a new direction which we believe to be for the betterment of the franchise for the future.

Pretty simple. Give me a hungrier kid maybe not as high end but who will work his azz off day in and out? BROWN? I take it right now.

STAMKOS? Really ? He pots close to 100 points a year and plays better defense than ovechkin ever did not saying would want ovechkin at least stamkos is always trying yep makes mistakes but basically makes up for his mistakes and than some.

We are plus 18 as a team what is teddy purcell? Lifetime minus 2 this year a minus 4 panik malone brown connolly are only guys worse. Brown has been terrible for awhile in this regards:( So might not be solution. He tries hard though.

So you all can sit back and hope the lightbulb turns on for teddy. I would rather move him since he will never show up every day. I get he has skill ive seen it he just doesnt use it day in and out and NOTHING pisses me off more than effort NOTHING

Last edited:

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Komarov and Gudas on a small, young team with with little to no additional toughness? No thanks.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Thompson if moved up could do 35 and play defense pyatt is a maybe kucherov absolutely could do it. I say vladdy namestnikov can do it all day right now.

Purcell has rounded out his game?
Wait, are we talking points or goals? Even so, there is no chance Thompson gets there, sorry. Pyatt has a better chance than Thompson, and putting either Vlad or Nikita in that spot is stupid and wasteful.

He kills more offense than any guy I have watched regularly in last 5 years except daniel cleary for detroit. He makes so many mistakes the last game at least 5 in first two periods huge mistakes he will back check once in awhile and make a good play but will not ever hit a guy even if the cup was on line and he is last guy near a guy he wouldnt touch the guy.

I don't care about hits, I care about production, TOI, and how he plays against his competition defensively - you're being very foolish if you think his two way play hasn't taken a step forward.

You build your teams however you like I have seen ones that win and those that dont. Teddy just aint got the game to be here that is needed.
Is this the new "I know, I watch the games" ?

We have ZERO use or need for teddy. 4.5 million what a joke. I have never liked what I deem to be soft players when we get there to boston in next couple years and have teddy you might realize as he disappears entirely in the playoffs or even worse costs us the playoffs I am correct. Its time to move on.
For "disappearing in the playoffs", he has a fantastic line of 14:42 TOI and went 6-11-17 in 18 games, if that is what disappearing is, i'll take it. You're not correct, you're just spouting your opinion off as gospel.

I do not see teddy as a 65 point player will be lucky to ever break 50 again. He doesnt have the heart for it either. You got to know when to cut losses.

Some you win some you lose. Yet you do what is best overall.

If situation was even different two years malone one of teddy at this point I probably buy out teddy myself he is that bad for what is being built.

I get people like to live in past. I get we all have guys we like MSL Lecavalier Teddy etc. Sometimes it just doesnt work out and when its time its time.
I really don't know what you're on about here, but you're making this out to be some kind of emotional choice? :laugh:

His numbers are due for a bounceback as he adapts to a system that isn't reliant on him being a perimeter player, and he is showing improvement at times but needs a solid finisher to play with, and perhaps have his buddy off this team as a distraction.

I all day give shots to panik connolly drouin kucherov brown paquette and any other kid over teddy at this point. We got enough other guys who are playmakers can score decently we need a mentality to beat BOSTON they are the target and I get this even if others do not or want to remain in past.
Panik has done even less and you'd rather have him in the lineup. Sure. Funny, the exact style of player you're talking about isn't Drouin, a soft, dangling winger/center. I'm not really sure what you're after.

Teddy is a square peg in a round hole at this point. You move on no regrets thanks for your years and dedication we are going a new direction which we believe to be for the betterment of the franchise for the future.

Pretty simple. Give me a hungrier kid maybe not as high end but who will work his azz off day in and out? BROWN? I take it right now.
Working your ass off doesn't mean anything if you play small and get outworked to pucks like Brown, or miss your defensive assignments like Brown has. Not to be too critical of the kid, but like Steve said, he should have been in the AHL this year.

STAMKOS? Really ? He pots close to 100 points a year and plays better defense than ovechkin ever did not saying would want ovechkin at least stamkos is always trying yep makes mistakes but basically makes up for his mistakes and than some.
Thanks for throwing Ovechkin in there, no idea what that has to do with 91 playing mediocre defense. Be objective and remove emotion from it - he drags ass getting back at times, he takes bad routes to puck carriers, he doesn't get in lanes like he could.

We are plus 18 as a team what is teddy purcell? Lifetime minus 2 this year a minus 4 panik malone brown connolly are only guys worse. Brown has been terrible for awhile in this regards:( So might not be solution. He tries hard though.
So Panik instead, with his -11? Or maybe we can just understand that plus minus is a ****** stat.

So you all can sit back and hope the lightbulb turns on for teddy. I would rather move him since he will never show up every day. I get he has skill ive seen it he just doesnt use it day in and out and NOTHING pisses me off more than effort NOTHING
The problem with this is you want to get rid of him at his lowest point when statistically, he should bounce back next year. Would you get rid of a car because of a 15 dollar broken themostat because you don't have a wrench that fits right? Seems like a waste of a good asset. For a guy that "doesn't try" or has "no effort" he has 153 shots, best for 5th on the team, with a brutal shooting percentage. He is far from worthless.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/05/re-signing-bolland-should-be-leafs-top-off-season-priority

Would love having Leo here. Could be fit for any line and be kinda the spark plug we could use to bring the effort every night. Also winning team, and line usage should attract him.

I would love to get Komarov. A 4th line of Komarov, Thompson, Crombeen and Panik (depending on the opponent who gets the scratch) is one hell of a 4thline in my opinion.

Buyout Malone, sell Purcell and Connolly as high as possible and try to land the best RD available for our loads of picks.
Then sign Komarov and a veteran backup and I would be happy all summer long.

A guy like Komarov is the one thing we can use more of up front (and less Purcell obviously) so he would be the perfect signing in my opinion, same goes for Kulemin, but he will get way to much money somewhere and is primed for a bigger role than 4th line anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad