Speculation: 2013-14 Trade rumors and proposals - Part II

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Cooper definitely needs to let Lindback get a whole bunch of games in - Yzerman needs to be able to evaluate whether we are going another year with Lindback as the backup goaltender. Otherwise, I'd like Yzerman to go after Justin Peters - with Carolina most likely having to keep Ward, Peters will hit UFA but we could probably secure his rights for a 5th - 7th? :dunno:

There's 7 games left, I wouldn't mind allowing Lindback to get every single game as soon as we clinch a playoff spot.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
We do not want Justin Peters. He is a decent "1st 2 goalies injured for awhile, so now he's the guy" goalie, but he needs a lot of playing time to be effective. If he goes on the same stretches that Lindback has without playing, he would not be any good for us.

After Ward and Khudobin went down, and before he really started putting up decent numbers, he lost five straight. Not to mention that he went almost a month without playing when Khudobin came back, and then we chased him off the ice with 3 goals on 7 shots against them in January.

Trust me...we do not want Justin Peters.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
I would like to see Nabokov on a 1 year deal in Lightning blue, he could offer experience and quality as backup. If Bishop would go down for longer, Vasya will most likely take the reigns for this time anyway, but having a steady backup like Nabokov would really take pressure off Bishop.
We could offer him a last chance at May hockey and all I heard he plans to play another year..

Chimaira

Mar 31, 2014
I could be 100% wrong but I fully expect Vasya to play himself into a 1B to Bishop's 1A next season by the end October, if he even goes to Syracuse.

Vasilevskiy will be 20 with only one year as a pro starter. As good as he is he is still developing and needs a lot of playing time. It will be difficult for him to prove he can play consistently good enough to split starts with Bishop given how good Ben has been this year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There's no reason to rush Vasi, especially with Bishop in net for the foreseeable future. Let him get used to the NA game in Syracuse, maybe even for a couple of years if he needs it. There's no rush here. I'd rather not chance ruining the kid.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
if this is the case, then, really, sheer brilliance to keep sending him out there on back-to-backs and everything. I have no idea why Anders Lindback is even on this roster, frankly, if this is how he's going to be "used".

Feels like they're just riding out his contract. Wouldn't be surprised to see us go the Benoit Pouliot route with him. Pretty obvious there's no faith in him right now, since all we're really fighting for is home ice vs. Montreal (not that that's a small thing) and we still refused to put him out against Buffalo.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Do we not remember Roloson already? I see people mentioning all these dinosaurs they want to sign. None of these guys have much left and too expect more then what Lindback brings is just going to lead to disappointment.

I don't see us going the Pouliot route with Lindback, we paid too much to let him walk. Unless he decides to go back to Europe I see no reason to not try and keep him and at least send him through waivers to get him to Syracuse if we can. Bishop is gonna start 60+ if fully healthy so they just need a few games out of Lindback/Gudlevskis or Vasilevskiy.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
if this is the case, then, really, sheer brilliance to keep sending him out there on back-to-backs and everything. I have no idea why Anders Lindback is even on this roster, frankly, if this is how he's going to be "used".

Seriously. If Bishop is injured enough that the off-season isn't enough time to recover, we should just throw Lindback in and let the dice fall where they may for this season's playoffs. Without a solid #1 (and I'm not convinced Lindback can be that, by a long shot) we're risking next season by playing an injured goalie to death for what is likely to be a brief playoff run?

No bueno.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Do we not remember Roloson already? I see people mentioning all these dinosaurs they want to sign. None of these guys have much left and too expect more then what Lindback brings is just going to lead to disappointment.

I don't see us going the Pouliot route with Lindback, we paid too much to let him walk. Unless he decides to go back to Europe I see no reason to not try and keep him and at least send him through waivers to get him to Syracuse if we can. Bishop is gonna start 60+ if fully healthy so they just need a few games out of Lindback/Gudlevskis or Vasilevskiy.

You mean where he took a worse team to the ECF in 2011? I remember. :)
Bishop is the starter, we're talking about upgrading the backup position. I agree partially - Lindback needs to start every single game. Hhopefully we can clinch a playoff spot tonight and then I want to see Lindback starting every game until the playoffs! It's a small sample size but we need to know if an upgrade in backup is necessary or not.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Seriously. If Bishop is injured enough that the off-season isn't enough time to recover, we should just throw Lindback in and let the dice fall where they may for this season's playoffs. Without a solid #1 (and I'm not convinced Lindback can be that, by a long shot) we're risking next season by playing an injured goalie to death for what is likely to be a brief playoff run?

No bueno.

Ya, this is the big worry. We all know Bishop is in bad shape right now, and hopefully it isnt as bad as some of us think. It is ridiculous that Lindback isnt getting some ice time to help Bishop. He shouldnt be playing in all of these back to backs.

Other thing that scares me is how much Bish looks like Craig Anderson from last year. An outstanding run but injury prone costing him the next year.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
You mean where he took a worse team to the ECF in 2011? I remember. :)
Bishop is the starter, we're talking about upgrading the backup position. I agree partially - Lindback needs to start every single game. Hhopefully we can clinch a playoff spot tonight and then I want to see Lindback starting every game until the playoffs! It's a small sample size but we need to know if an upgrade in backup is necessary or not.

I get where Hose is coming from. Even as a backup Roloson was crap after 2010-11. Unfortunately he had reached his expiration date. Either that or Frantz Jean really messed with his head.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
I get where Hose is coming from. Even as a backup Roloson was crap after 2010-11. Unfortunately he had reached his expiration date. Either that or Frantz Jean really messed with his head.

Yes, but the year before Roloson led this team to an ECF. Giguerre is not past his expiration date - he's playing well and he's only 36.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I think Lindback is going to be traded.

Seems to me Cooper doesn't trust him a single bit.

It looks to me Vasi is going to be the back-up next season, and he's ready for the role

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I think Lindback is going to be traded.

Seems to me Cooper doesn't trust him a single bit.

It looks to me Vasi is going to be the back-up next season, and he's ready for the role
Either that or Yzerman told him making the playoffs is our top priority so until we have clinched a playoff spot Bishop will play as as much as possible since he gives us the best chance to win and reach our goal.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Either that or Yzerman told him making the playoffs is our top priority so until we have clinched a playoff spot Bishop will play as as much as possible since he gives us the best chance to win and reach our goal.

Honestly though, we could play Lindback for the rest of the season and we will probably clinch playoffs in spite of goaltending. Mise well do it and give Bishop a rest.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yes, but the year before Roloson led this team to an ECF. Giguerre is not past his expiration date - he's playing well and he's only 36.

He was 18-16 with a 2.50 GAA and .910 save %, good numbers but not great. We also got lucky with not having to face Malkin or Crosby in the 1st round. He played great in some big games but we had a strong team too.

Giguere has put up numbers better then Lindback but not to the extent where we need to go out and get him. Colorado traded for a goalie at the deadline because they didn't think he was worth bringing back and he might retire anyway so this all wouldn't matter.

Ad

Ad

Ad