2012 Canada - Russia Challenge - Halifax, NS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macman

May 15, 2004
This is ridiculous. Bad enough Canadian junior teams get screwed by NHL teams every year, but now Hockey Canada has got to do it to itself? MacKinnon is good enough to play at this thing and play well.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Wow, what a pile of bs. :( Hometown kid, definitely talented enough to make the roster, and ticket sales go way down.

Good luck gettin a sellout now Hockey Canada.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Seems a little silly. The rule is that these players are ineligible for the summer evaluation camp... and this is not a summer evaluation camp, this is the thing they made up to replace it for this year. They'll change the rules to make it a four game international series, but won't change the rules to allow some exciting talent to be there.

I guess they want to keep a team intact for the Ivan Hlinka, which certainly makes sense, but isn't this Canada/Russia thing supposed to be a big deal, what with the 'anniversary' of the 72 series?

I'll still buy tickets for one game... though I'll probably just buy them from someone who will soon be trying to unload them for a fraction of their original price.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm going but I'm a prospect nut. I can see MacKinnon any game I want to, sucks he and other great talents aren't there; but there's plenty to make it worthwhile for me

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I prefer sending MacKinnon to Ivan Hlinka where he can dominate and win a gold medal for Canada than using him in a series that is only a camp for the U20. It's unfortunate for fans in Halifax but you already watch him 70+ times per season.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I prefer sending MacKinnon to Ivan Hlinka where he can dominate and win a gold medal for Canada than using him in a series that is only a camp for the U20. It's unfortunate for fans in Halifax but you already watch him 70+ times per season.

Fair point, still seeing him play at that level, with the best 18 and 19 year olds would have been a treat.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I didnt know Yakupov was playing. Wasnt really that interested in this tournament but a chance to see Yak before october is cant miss

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
Wow, what a pile of bs. :( Hometown kid, definitely talented enough to make the roster, and ticket sales go way down.

Good luck gettin a sellout now Hockey Canada.

We sell out everything in Halifax

The World juniors in 2002 and the mens worlds in 2007

we'll sell out the canada vs russia challenge....however it is a shame we dont get to see our kid.

oh, i'm obviously from Halifax, i just live in Alberta now lol

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
We sell out everything in Halifax

The World juniors in 2002 and the mens worlds in 2007

we'll sell out the canada vs russia challenge....however it is a shame we dont get to see our kid.

oh, i'm obviously from Halifax, i just live in Alberta now lol

Well unless you can pull 8000 tickets out of your ass, we're not selling out this one. :)

If single game tickets come out, and prices go down, maybe... I'd say we have better luck of selling out the top prospects game in January.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Well unless you can pull 8000 tickets out of your ass, we're not selling out this one. :)

If single game tickets come out, and prices go down, maybe... I'd say we have better luck of selling out the top prospects game in January.

I don't understand why this isn't selling. It's Canada-Russia, for crying out loud. The rosters for both teams will be much better in August than in December. At $43 a pop, I don't think the ticket prices are unreasonable. Hopefully the interest will pick up when the series begins in Russia.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
It was a local PR disaster leaving MacKinnon off the team. But on top of that, there has been little local marketing promoting the series. Lot of people don't even kow about it. In addition, you can only buy packages still are causing sales to slump a bit.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Rosters look pretty lopsided in Canada's favor. If Russia wins this thing, it will be because of goaltending.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I don't understand why this isn't selling. It's Canada-Russia, for crying out loud. The rosters for both teams will be much better in August than in December. At $43 a pop, I don't think the ticket prices are unreasonable. Hopefully the interest will pick up when the series begins in Russia.

You don't get the option of buying tickets for just one game, you have to pay for both games, which is a pretty stupid idea.
Then there's the game's start times - 8pm Monday, and 8pm Tuesday. It's a late start time, likely to appease TV viewers in the eastern time zone, and it's during the week. Terrible combination.
On top of that, it's not like the WJC where it's a fairly long tournament where everyone gets behind their team. It's a one time event, and it's over in two days.

Macman

May 15, 2004
You don't get the option of buying tickets for just one game, you have to pay for both games, which is a pretty stupid idea.
Then there's the game's start times - 8pm Monday, and 8pm Tuesday. It's a late start time, likely to appease TV viewers in the eastern time zone, and it's during the week. Terrible combination.
On top of that, it's not like the WJC where it's a fairly long tournament where everyone gets behind their team. It's a one time event, and it's over in two days.

You don't get the option of buying single games when the world juniors are in Canada either and they're always a sellout. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think a two-game package is much of a hardship compared to the WJC. I can't imagine game time having much to do with it either. The MacKinnon snub has something to do with it, I guess, but these games should still be selling out. It'll look bad for Halifax if they don't.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Rosters look pretty lopsided in Canada's favor. If Russia wins this thing, it will be because of goaltending.

Im Canadian and I disagree, that Russian roster minus Khokhlachev and Kucherov still boats some excellent talent up front, Yakupov, Grigorenko, Kosov, Prokhorkin, Slepyshev, Zlobin, Shalunov are extremely skilled. Russia as you said also has a proven goaltender at this level in Vasilevski. The only edge for Canada I can see at this point is its wealth of talented defensemen. That defence group looks incredible on paper. In terms of overall Russian forward depth I cannot comment as I have not seen most of the second tier players on the roster. Even the Russian defense has some returnees from last years silver medal team, Nesterov, Sergeev, Naumenkov, to go along with Pedan who is big, talented, and physical and Yarullin who has had success at the international level. Im attending both games in Halifax, will be interesting to see how the series plays out

Last edited:

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
You don't get the option of buying single games when the world juniors are in Canada either and they're always a sellout. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think a two-game package is much of a hardship compared to the WJC. I can't imagine game time having much to do with it either. The MacKinnon snub has something to do with it, I guess, but these games should still be selling out. It'll look bad for Halifax if they don't.

I'd love to take my daughter out to see these games. I'm not paying $176 for tickets though. I also wouldn't want to keep her up that late back to back nights. Hell, I've got to work in the morning, I don't even want to be out that late two nights in a row. And I'm certainly not paying for two games if we are only going to one.

Oh wait, I see you've already decided stuff like money and time have nothing to do with it. It's all MacKinnon then.

Finally, considering that Halifax is the city that raised the WJC to a whole other level - essentially ensuring that we will never be able to host it again - I somehow doubt that slow ticket sales for a two game WJC tune-up in the middle of August is going to hurt the city's reputation.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Some serious star power in here. Canada's PP has got to be lethal with Morgan Rielly and Ryan Murphy manning the blueline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad