Prospect Info: 2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 5/9) *Part III*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I am confident McIlrath will be a NHLer. Noreau, not so much but it would be nice.

Both are righties, and not very mobile. Still, who's gonna play the right side first unit?

I'd prefer someone with more versatility. Not like the left side is overflowing with it either.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Both are righties, and not very mobile. Still, who's gonna play the right side first unit?

I'd prefer someone with more versatility. Not like the left side is overflowing with it either.

If McIlrath plays with McDonagh or Staal or Moore he will be fine. He isn't lacking mobility, just a bigger kid.

Skjei is pretty mobile too. Moore can also play on the right side and has done so in CLB.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
If McIlrath plays with McDonagh or Staal or Moore he will be fine. He isn't lacking mobility, just a bigger kid.

Skjei is pretty mobile too. Moore can also play on the right side and has done so in CLB.

He lacks mobility for a first unit guy that'll be part of the offense, not just 'add to it' like we have now. That's one of this teams biggest problems IMO. Mcilrath obviously not being rushed, I think they want him to mature physically this last year and earn while pushing the regs the next few seasons. If that's the case he's destined to start with baby steps, 5th/6th Dman on a deep defensive squad is a great start.

Skjei is like, a baby, I don't have any immediate plans for the kid except 'play, play hard and earn it'.

If it were so easy to switch a lefty to right I'd be fine with just bringing along Del Z and hope he's gonna eventually mature into that spot, which is how I see it now really. I can also see Stralman being a strong #4 on the right side, too early to count him out, especially since he's had two good back to back seasons in which he's improved and still on the younger side of the game.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He lacks mobility for a first unit guy that'll be part of the offense, not just 'add to it' like we have now. That's one of this teams biggest problems IMO. Mcilrath obviously not being rushed, I think they want him to mature physically this last year and earn while pushing the regs the next few seasons. If that's the case he's destined to start with baby steps, 5th/6th Dman on a deep defensive squad is a great start.

Skjei is like, a baby, I don't have any immediate plans for the kid except 'play, play hard and earn it'.

If it were so easy to switch a lefty to right I'd be fine with just bringing along Del Z and hope he's gonna eventually mature into that spot, which is how I see it now really. I can also see Stralman being a strong #4 on the right side, too early to count him out, especially since he's had two good back to back seasons in which he's improved and still on the younger side of the game.

You keep saying that McIlrath lacks mobility but the kid was playing 1st pairing in the AHL as a rookie after having to sit out with a serious knee injury for months. To me, that leads to the belief that he can cut it, at least, as a top-4 d-man in the future. If not more.

Brooks Orpik is a top pairing d-man. So was Douglas Murray for a while.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
You keep saying that McIlrath lacks mobility but the kid was playing 1st pairing in the AHL as a rookie after having to sit out with a serious knee injury for months. To me, that leads to the belief that he can cut it, at least, as a top-4 d-man in the future. If not more.

Brooks Orpik is a top pairing d-man. So was Douglas Murray for a while.

He has mobility, not in all areas of the game. In reality we don't know what to expect from him, he's played one year of AHL hockey, which was a B+ season for him having to fend off true greats like Vernace and whoever those other guys were.. Great start. But saying he has the same mobility of other guys his size playing top 4 minutes and playing WELL in the NHL, is a stretch. And again, the problem is offense. DM doesn't add much to that part of the game, hence, the elusive, MOBILE guy we need at RHD.

Orpik, Murray? Yeah, those teams really struggle to score goals right?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He has mobility, not in all areas of the game. In reality we don't know what to expect from him, he's played one year of AHL hockey, which was a B+ season for him having to fend off true greats like Vernace and whoever those other guys were.. Great start. But saying he has the same mobility of other guys his size playing top 4 minutes and playing WELL in the NHL, is a stretch. And again, the problem is offense. DM doesn't add much to that part of the game, hence, the elusive, MOBILE guy we need at RHD.

I agree with you. They lack a mobile top-4 d-man at this point within the organization.

I also agree he will be brought along slowly. #5/6 at first and given what he can deal with.

I have a feeling they will move a current NHL d-man and be looking for a young RHD who can be mobile like you are talking about. Faulk?

This goes back to the Boyle bashing and all of that. If you are looking for your tough, mean, defensive d-man to help carry the offense, then the team is not constructed correctly.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I agree with you. They lack a mobile top-4 d-man at this point within the organization.

I also agree he will be brought along slowly. #5/6 at first and given what he can deal with.

I have a feeling they will move a current NHL d-man and be looking for a young RHD who can be mobile like you are talking about. Faulk?

I was pining for Voynov two seasons ago. I was told a 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder was too high, seems like good value now. I like Faulk, was a big fan in his draft year. Watched him play in the WC's yesterday, he's still got some issues, but he was matched up against Kovalchuk on a stacked Russia squad and he held his own. Offensively, he's a good power play guy, very respectable skills and head for offense. Not sure what getting him would entail, the obvious is Staal, but if this latest injury doesn't turn out to be something that lingers I'd prefer to keep him, he's great defensively when he's on his game.

Sami Vatanen from Aanheim, would love to pry him away from the Quacks.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I was pining for Voynov two seasons ago. I was told a 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder was too high, seems like good value now. I like Faulk, was a big fan in his draft year. Watched him play in the WC's yesterday, he's still got some issues, but he was matched up against Kovalchuk on a stacked Russia squad and he held his own. Offensively, he's a good power play guy, very respectable skills and head for offense. Not sure what getting him would entail, the obvious is Staal, but if this latest injury doesn't turn out to be something that lingers I'd prefer to keep him, he's great defensively when he's on his game.

Sami Vatanen from Aanheim, would love to pry him away from the Quacks.

Yep. I was on the Simmonds and Voynov wagon a few years ago too. Sucks when the organization doesn't read these boards....

I like what I have seen from Faulk as well. I wouldn't mind moving Staal IF Faulk + their 1st was coming back.

Vatanen is an interesting name.

The problem becomes that the d-man has to play with some sort of edge in order to play on this team. Stralman's game completely changed (for the better IMO) as he used to be almost pure offense.

Eventually they will need to supplement all of their good defensive d-men with a pure offensive guy. I just hope they pick the right one.

I am not a fan of MDZ.

Kershaw

lol.

26 pts in 21 GP.

Best offensive player on best WHL team for 2 straight seasons.

Gets shafted on Canadian WJC team, where they didn't even medal.

St. Croix maybe making hockey Canada look very silly?

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Good news from MSC on a terrible night in Ranger land, hopefully they can get game 6, and get it back to Portland for game 7.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Portland has a monstrous team. OF the top 11 scorers, 5 are from Portland. They landed over 50 shots tonight, but St. Croix and the goalie did a number on them.

Doubt Edmonton can defeat Portland, but let's hope.

Kershaw

Portland has a monstrous team. OF the top 11 scorers, 5 are from Portland. They landed over 50 shots tonight, but St. Croix and the goalie did a number on them.

Doubt Edmonton can defeat Portland, but let's hope.

Not to mention Seth Jones, who is going #1 overall this year.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Ya know, looking back at that 03 draft, did the Jessiman pick make any sense even back then?

It depends on how badly you think the leg injury he suffered after they drafted him derailed his career.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Noreau's team got knocked out last night so he's done for the year. Based on reports, stats, his size, and the lack of real D prospects the Rangers have, they almost have to give him a contract. Thoughts?

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Noreau's team got knocked out last night so he's done for the year. Based on reports, stats, his size, and the lack of real D prospects the Rangers have, they almost have to give him a contract. Thoughts?
He will be signed, either by the Rangers or the whale. He is a future NHL enforcer.
He will need 2 or 3 years at the AHL level to improve his skating, which still needs some work.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
MSC will be a top 9 center in the NHL within 2 years. He seems to come up clutch more often than not. The killer instinct is something you are born with and is not taught, and he has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad