2010-2011 NHL TV Ratings + TV Revenues

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton
Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final between Vancouver and Boston was a ratings smash for the CBC.

An average audience of 8.76 million Canadians tuned in to watch the Bruins beat the Canucks 4-0 on Wednesday night, making it the most-watched NHL broadcast in the public broadcaster's history.

The overnight ratings were just behind the network record from 2002, when 8.96 million Canadians watched the Olympic men's hockey final between Canada and the United States in Salt Lake City.

The Bruins-Canucks game peaked at 11.2 million viewers in the second period. The network said the game reached a total of 18.45 million Canadians, which counts for more than half the country's population.

The introduction of a new measuring system in September 2009 has seen sports TV ratings skyrocket in Canada.

The game was also a ratings hit south of the border, where it earned the highest television rating for an NHL game in 37 years.

The game had a 4.8 rating and 8 share on NBC. That's the best since a 7.6/27 for Boston-Philadelphia in 1974.

It was up two per cent from last year's deciding Game 6 between Chicago and Philadelphia and up 12 per cent from the most recent Game 7 in 2009 between Detroit and Pittsburgh.

The game earned a 43.4/64 in Boston, the best for a hockey game since records began being kept for the market in 1991. That's higher than any game in the Celtics' last two NBA finals.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/game-7-breaks-cbc-ratings-record/article2064236/

CanadaIsHockey

Apr 8, 2008
Laval, Qc. Canada
http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/2011/06/16/18-million-watch-game-7-across-two-nations/

18 Million Watch Game 7 Across Two Nations

NBC: 8.54 Million viewers
CBC: 8.76 Million viewers
RDS: 1.043 million viewers

And this does not include in the US, the northern states who have access to CBC who may have had fans watching the game on CBC.
Also those Canadians with access to NBC who were watching the game there.

Those are incredible numbers: In the US, breaking records dating back nearly 40 years, and who says Canada is a saturated market where Hockey already rules? As dominant as Hockey is in Canada it still has a lot of room to grow. And we are seeing that with new record TV viewers in Canada year over year on TSN and CBC. And with the Habs setting numerous records year over year on RDS as well.

Last edited:

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
So what other matchups would be gangbuster ratings for the NHL either way. As we've seen here an all Canada final would do incredible in Canada but who knows what in the US. I guess long struggling franchises would help the rating maybe the Flyers again, Buffalo would be respectable but I doubt it would set the world on fire, Capitals got the story but still who knows how well it could do, Rangers got the NYC market so it would be strong, LA would be interesting as to see how big the Kings could be in LA, Blues got history but how much weight do they have in the US anyway, and Penguins or the original 6 Red Wings Blackhawks would probably would always draw.

Breakaway3527

Feb 26, 2010
see and in the states the other major sporting events counts canada also. why don't they for the NHL also. or am I way behind the times and they do now?

They count Canadian ticket purchases for the announced movie box-office totals too.

It is a disservice to the NHL not counting the entire audience. The separate numbers are needed for the advertisers.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
So what other matchups would be gangbuster ratings for the NHL either way. As we've seen here an all Canada final would do incredible in Canada but who knows what in the US. I guess long struggling franchises would help the rating maybe the Flyers again, Buffalo would be respectable but I doubt it would set the world on fire, Capitals got the story but still who knows how well it could do, Rangers got the NYC market so it would be strong, LA would be interesting as to see how big the Kings could be in LA, Blues got history but how much weight do they have in the US anyway, and Penguins or the original 6 Red Wings Blackhawks would probably would always draw.

The NHL needs to get to the point where the product itself is attractive to the casual fan, and the specific match-up doesn't matter so much.

Of course, the rating will go up or down depending on the size and passion of the specific markets involved. But to get the ratings into a permanently high range, the appeal to casual fans around the country shouldn't be based on the specific match-up. You won't always get a good match-up.

Blue Regime

Nov 15, 2008
Groton, CT
Its amazing how far the NHL has come, but still has to go to reach NBA levels. Game 6 of the NBA finals drew 3x as many American viewers as Game 7, and it wasn't even a Game 7. Granted a lot of that has to do with it being on ESPN, but still... thats a lot of people.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Actually, what I noticed more is that Original 6=ratings. Montreal, Chicago and Boston drew some of the largest ratings of all time.

Yeah, but Boston and chicago don't necessarily care when their teams aren't playing.

The highest-rated American markets for nationally televised hockey games are consistently Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Only one of those is Original Six.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Yeah, but Boston and chicago don't necessarily care when their teams aren't playing.

The highest-rated American markets for nationally televised hockey games are consistently Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Minneapolis/St. Paul.

And keep in mind that Buffalo and Detroit get CBC. so the actual amount of people watching the game is even higher than the NBC rating. It's hard to guess just how many people are watching on CBC instead of NBC.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011

I agree, Buffalo is one of the top-3 US markets for TV viewership when their team is not involved. It is very impressive, congrats to your fanbase.

What is great about teams like Boston and Chicago is that when their teams ARE playing, they can generate huge ratings.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
The NHL needs to get to the point where the product itself is attractive to the casual fan, and the specific match-up doesn't matter so much.

Of course, the rating will go up or down depending on the size and passion of the specific markets involved. But to get the ratings into a permanently high range, the appeal to casual fans around the country shouldn't be based on the specific match-up. You won't always get a good match-up.

That's nice but only Football is doing that right now. Sure baseball and basketball probably have a larger downside rating but sports have become such a matchup based thing. Sure the respective markets will watch but if the Heat weren't such a story then the ratings wouldn't have been as high for the NBA

GophersGoneWild

Was MN_Hockey_in_AZ
Dec 8, 2006
Plymouth, MN
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but what are the chances (and legal implications) of getting the CBC broadcast blacked out in US markets close to the border (Buffalo, Detroit, Seattle, etc.)? Ratings for NBC and Versus would be higher. Not sure if much higher would be appropriate, but they'd still be higher. But like I said, not sure if that's even possible (or legal).

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007
And keep in mind that Buffalo and Detroit get CBC. so the actual amount of people watching the game is even higher than the NBC rating. It's hard to guess just how many people are watching on CBC instead of NBC.
Seattle also gets the CBC. The NBC affiliate in Seattle (KING 5) tells viewers during the finals to watch the SCF on KING's secondary channel KONG or the CBC.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but what are the chances (and legal implications) of getting the CBC broadcast blacked out in US markets close to the border (Buffalo, Detroit, Seattle, etc.)? Ratings for NBC and Versus would be higher. Not sure if much higher would be appropriate, but they'd still be higher. But like I said, not sure if that's even possible (or legal).

Even if you removed it from local cable carriers, the broadcast still comes over-the-air. Not much you can do to stop an over-the-air broadcast from coming across the border.

Seattle also gets the CBC. The NBC affiliate in Seattle (KING 5) tells viewers during the finals to watch the SCF on KING's secondary channel KONG or the CBC.

So in Seattle, they don't even get the Cup Finals on the main NBC affiliate?

Is NBC allowed to do that, with respect to their contract with the NHL?

Dowisetrepla

Apr 29, 2009
Washington State
So in Seattle, they don't even get the Cup Finals on the main NBC affiliate?

Is NBC allowed to do that, with respect to their contract with the NHL?

Affiliates bascially have the option to preempt or not show any network programming. For example, NBC is premiering a "Mad Men" type show about life in the Playboy Clubs of the 60s this fall, and the Salt Lake affiliate has refused to show it!

Not sure of the exact terms of the new contact with NBC, but basically the NHL gets paid no matter what, and the network has to convince the affiliates to show the games.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

You need the Hype network. Others call it ESPN. NHL doesnt have the hype. ESPN got me to watch Auto Racing.

Its too bad Ovechkin, Crosby, and other great young stars of this era wont be on ESPN.

Ignoramus*

You need the Hype network. Others call it ESPN. NHL doesnt have the hype. ESPN got me to watch Auto Racing.

Its too bad Ovechkin, Crosby, and other great young stars of this era wont be on ESPN.

Why then are NHL ratings WAY higher today than they were when the league was on ESPN?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Why then are NHL ratings WAY higher today than they were when the league was on ESPN?

That wasn't my point. My point was ESPN helps hype things up. ESPN is twice as big today than it was 10 years ago.

I think their coverage of MMA has helped the sport become more mainstream.

So my point isnt that the NHL needs ESPN, its that ESPN can help the NHL reach those casual fans.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Agreed. ESPN wouldn't pay any attention to the NHL. They'd stick games on ESPN2 behind MLB and NBA. The NHL is going to be the #1 sport on NBC/Comcast.

Im sure NHL playoffs would out rank MLB regular season.

I love when VS gives us a few minutes of post-game talk and then goes to bull riding. Lets not even talk about NBC's pre and post game coverage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad