2009 Top 100 Update Preliminary Discussion Thread

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
I agree Beliveau and Harvey could be viewed as coin flips. On that note, Shore and Harvey are coin flips, and Hull is certainly better than Beliveau. Right there you have a case for Richard being 9th, and without reaching at all.

Ironically, I would make the case that Shore was the most out of control "star" player of all-time. Like Richard, he punched out a referee, but he went a little bit further than the Rocket, with the whole Billy Coutu incident, and if you can pleaseshow me something that the Rocket did that was as despicable as Shore's attack on Ace Bailey, I'd like to hear of it.

With that being said Shore and Harvey to me are not a coin flip. Harvey was in my opinion, the most dominant player on the most dominant team ever, and that for me puts him a shade above Shore.

Hull is not certainly better than Beliveau. In terms of statistically scoring goals yes. However, I would be hard pressed to find one other aspect of Hull that would help me place him over Beliveau, overall talent in both ends of the rink, ability to elevate his game, effect on teammates play, leadership etc....

And like my earlier post I like to place some weight on playoff performance and I'm sorry that's where Hull is seriously lacking. The Chicago team he played on from 1960 to 1972 maybe be the biggest underachieveing team in league history. And while Beliveau was winning Cup after Cup Hull's Hawks consistently came up short, year after year (with the exception of 1961).

As I said before in deciding between obviously great players for me it comes down to this, who would I want on the ice in that critical game, that critical situation more. For me it would be Beliveau for all that he would bring to the situation.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I have and as I mentioned to Kyle, I cannot believe how he was only ranked 95th on the last HOH Top 100! My initial list had him way higher than that, however the more I look at him, the more he's getting bumped even higher. I hope others take a serious look at him. 95th is just plain wrong.

I fully agree he needs to move higher. And good for you for also noticing that. My point, however, is that I do not see a way that you can have Gainey ahead of him. To say Gainey is better than the other five is plausible, but not Nighbor.

The way I see it.. just concentrating on his results (how many goals he got), is concentrating on a statistic. *shrugs*

It's not how many, it's the fact that it was more than anyone else.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
I fully agree he needs to move higher. And good for you for also noticing that. My point, however, is that I do not see a way that you can have Gainey ahead of him. To say Gainey is better than the other five is plausible, but not Nighbor.

Totally agree, I'm a big Gainey supporter but there is no way he should be placed ahead of Frank Nighbor on anybody's list.

Not only was Nighbor, Gainey's equal on the defensive, but he was a much superior offensive player. After all he did tie with Joe Malone in goals one year (1916-1917) which to me says a lot about the quality of his overall game. Winner of four Stanley Cups he was just as much of a winner as Gainey.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Ironically, I would make the case that Shore was the most out of control "star" player of all-time. Like Richard, he punched out a referee, but he went a little bit further than the Rocket, with the whole Billy Coutu incident, and if you can pleaseshow me something that the Rocket did that was as despicable as Shore's attack on Ace Bailey, I'd like to hear of it.

With that being said Shore and Harvey to me are not a coin flip. Harvey was in my opinion, the most dominant player on the most dominant team ever, and that for me puts him a shade above Shore.

Hull is not certainly better than Beliveau. In terms of statistically scoring goals yes. However, I would be hard pressed to find one other aspect of Hull that would help me place him over Beliveau, overall talent in both ends of the rink, ability to elevate his game, effect on teammates play, leadership etc....

And like my earlier post I like to place some weight on playoff performance and I'm sorry that's where Hull is seriously lacking. The Chicago team he played on from 1960 to 1972 maybe be the biggest underachieveing team in league history. And while Beliveau was winning Cup after Cup Hull's Hawks consistently came up short, year after year (with the exception of 1961).

As I said before in deciding between obviously great players for me it comes down to this, who would I want on the ice in that critical game, that critical situation more. For me it would be Beliveau for all that he would bring to the situation.

Your post has been read and duly noted; however, to properly provide the information you are requesting, I will need to be at home with my books.

'Til then.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Totally agree, I'm a big Gainey supporter but there is no way he should be placed ahead of Frank Nighbor on anybody's list.

Not only was Nighbor, Gainey's equal on the defensive, but he was a much superior offensive player. After all he did tie with Joe Malone in goals one year (1916-1917) which to me says a lot about the quality of his overall game. Winner of four Stanley Cups he was just as much of a winner as Gainey.

I think he had four in the NHL, but also one with Vancouver in 1915 or something. Am I mistaken?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
lol....A good point about the Shore/Harvey coin flip remark. I didn't really explain my disagreement very well did I? :P

My disagreement lies in my feeling that Shore is well ahead of Harvey. For the longest time I had Harvey behind Bourque, and after reading a lot of arguments in favor of Harvey, I reassessed it and put Harvey in that rotating 7,8,9 spot. None of the arguments I have read have convinced me that he belongs ahead of Shore though. Obviously I never got to see either of them play in person. So maybe growing up in Boston has given me more Shore-biased fodder for the intellectual exercise of evaluating their careers....I don't know. But I just don't see them as that close.

I like hearing you agree about Ray :D

Seeing him outside of the top ten was the most upsetting thing about the original list in my opinion. You make a great point about Beliveau and Richard not being the Gordie Howe of forwards (I guess that would be Gordie himself :P), but if I bow to having Harvey ahead of Ray, and put Ray ahead of Beliveau and Richard, that locks Harvey into the number seven spot.........Unless........

..........to tell you the truth I am very close to admitting that my seven through ten are all virtually interchangeable.

The more I learn and read, the more the ... clusters... are like this

1-2-3
4-5
6-7-8
9-10
11-12-13-14-15

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
The question remains; if half of the 4-5 is Hull who is the other half?

In other words, who are your top three?

I think it's safe to say that most people see Gretz, Orr, Howe and Mario as the "Mt. Rushmore of Hockey" and order them according to their own particular preferences (ie- peak vs longevity or pure skill etc. etc.), when someone gets dropped out of that quintet it raises my eyebrows at least....

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
About this whole Bob Gainey thing:

Anyone ever question why Gainey seems to be considered the premier defensive forward when he played left wing and not center? Doesn't the center have more defensive responsibilty than his wingers? Did Gainey play down low and let his center cover the point when the puck went deep into the defensive zone? If you look at the Selke winners, I believe the only other winners that didn't play center were Ramsey and Jere Lehtinen. 18 centers have won at least once. I know Gainey was great in his own zone, but did he get to freelance while his center played down low? Did he take faceoffs and have to stay with the opponent's center?

This also applies to the other end of the spectrum. A center that is poor defensively is a bigger liability than a winger who is poor.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I see how you could think that by simply looking at the numbers, but its more complicated than that.

Its a wee bit different for Dmen. Much of their offense is garnered from breakout/outlet passes and people picking up the garbage from their rebounds from point shots.

Not a feasible comparison to use Dmen in this situation.

Points Per Game Over their best 5 years, Lindros at 1.48 vs Bure's 1.25(I miscalculated earlier and counted Bure's 11 game injury season, his real PPG is lower). That's a difference of around 20 points in an 82 game season.

Even if you took only their best 9 years(Which leaves out Bure's 3 injury years where he played less than 40 games), then its Lindros at 1.32 and Bure at 1.11

I don't know If I would call Vancouver less talented.

Philly had some brutal defense and goaltending

So Bure gets punished for not dropping off late in his career?

Final totals, GPG 1.14 to 1.11. With Bure having way more goals. And the same story in the playoffs.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com

Shore might not have played on as stacked a team, but he managed to do damage all the same. In the form of 4 Hart Trophies, a Runner up and a 5th place finish, as well as a lock for 7-8 Retro Norris trophies and the distinction of being alongside Howie Morenz for best player of that era of Hockey. His offense was considered phenomenal for its time(called the Bobby Orr of his time), and he was a rock in his own end as well, although below Harvey Defensively. I have them ranked 1 after another, but with Shore in front.

Not certainly better. But he is neck and neck with him at least. IMO, better. Initially, I had Beliveau in front, as he was a favorite of mine growing up and I never watched the blackhawks as much back then. But some people and some classic games did a very good job convincing me. I always was under the mistaken impression that Hull played with Mikita, when in fact, they played very very rarely on the ice together at the same time.

In terms of goal scoring, Hull is way ahead of everyone, including Gretzky and Lemieux. In terms of playmaking, Beliveau gets the nod, although teammates should be taken into account here. Hull played with guys like Bill Hay and Todd Sloan, and Later Pit Martin and Chiko Maki instead of Boom Boom Geoffrion or Maurice Richard and Dickie Moore. Obviously, assists are easier to come by with Beliveau's stellar scoring crew. The backend was pretty much a wash between Pilote and Harvey(Harvey is better, but offensively Pilote was equal)

Even so, Hull managed to win 3 Scoring titles to Beliveau's 1 and a wash for Hart Trophies at 2 each. Chicago was also a much more defense first team, lacking the same punch up front, which held scoring back.

Defensively? Both players were good backcheckers. I am not going to lie. I call it a wash, although Hull played on the PK more. Beliveau really did not need to with guys like Backstrom, Provost, Richard and more always there to fill those roles.

Uh, Even if you remove Beliveau from that Montreal team, it was twice as strong as the Blackhawks. They had Mikita, Hull and Pilote, with Hall in back, and Hall was, well, not himself in the playoffs most of his career with Detroit or Chicago.

Cup counting when 1 team was a powerhouse and the other not is not the way to go. I know you have a Montreal favoritism, but realistically, if you switched them from team to team, Hull would have the greater number of cups, Beliveau would not. Beliveau's playoff numbers increase by a whopping total of 0.01 points per game, while Hull drops a whopping 0.02 points per game. The real culprit in many of those Hawks losses was Glenn Hall, sad to say.

In any case, I found the real lead by example leadership guy on that Montreal team was Henri Richard, although with that many leaders on the team, it becomes harder to notice individuals. A sentiment Beliveau agrees with.

In Short, I am not trying to drag Beliveau down. I consider him and Hull to be neck and neck, as are all guys in the top 10.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
So Bure gets punished for not dropping off late in his career?

Final totals, GPG 1.14 to 1.11. With Bure having way more goals. And the same story in the playoffs.

Bure did drop off later in his career. Completely. He stopped playing, while Lindros tried to grind out a few more years. Nobody cares about totals from the butt end of done like Dinner players careers. Trying to use them to devalue his prime advantage does not work in these discussions. When you look at total career instead of peak? Sure, makes Bure look closer, except that he was not close.

Few players have primes longer than 9 years, and Lindros' prime was much stronger.

Bure's only redeeming feature was offense. Bure was a Detriment to his team otherwise. Lindros brought more offense and much more of everything else important to the table.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
The question remains; if half of the 4-5 is Hull who is the other half?

In other words, who are your top three?

I think it's safe to say that most people see Gretz, Orr, Howe and Mario as the "Mt. Rushmore of Hockey" and order them according to their own particular preferences (ie- peak vs longevity or pure skill etc. etc.), when someone gets dropped out of that quintet it raises my eyebrows at least....

Oh, Mario, without a doubt. Lacks the longevity of Howe and Gretzky and the all-round play of Howe and Orr.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Let me share part of a PM exchange I just had about Bourque vs Shore, (I am getting my hopes up that Ray will crack the top ten here now...... ;D

My perspective on Shore and Bourque (and Orr), is like this; by the time I was old enough to fully appreciate what I was seeing, Orr had retired. But he was ever present in my hockey life. I was nine years old during Ray's rookie year and I am lucky enough to say that I saw his entire career. We were very lucky here in that it was only three years after Orr that Ray showed up, and he was a star right away, (obviously in a different way than Bobby, but a true star nonetheless).

So as I watched, and learned more and more about the game I began to ask my Dad and others who had lived through Orr to compare the two. Bobby always got the nod. Which wasn't a surprise to me really, since his aura still hung over the city very prominently, but they would also talk about this guy I had never heard of, Eddie Shore. The stories of his play, and his dominance, were told with the same reverence as the ones of Bobby.

I had learned it was not Ray's place to supplant Bobby, but I wanted him to overtake Shore. I met more than my fair share of older guys at the old Garden that had seen Shore play, and as much as they all loved Ray, (we all marveled at his unchanging greatness year after year after year), none of them put Ray ahead of Shore, in fact a good number of them still contended that Shore had been better than Bobby (which was all but blasphemous in the Garden halls).

It is these kinds of stories told to me, by guys who I know knew hockey, (since I was also talking to them about the "then and there" game of Bourque that I knew very well), that solidified Shore's place in history for me.

I have Orr, Shore, Harvey and Bourque in that order, and I don't forsee it ever changing....but I guess anything can happen, lol.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Oh, Mario, without a doubt. Lacks the longevity of Howe and Gretzky and the all-round play of Howe and Orr.

Interesting.

I suppose could see a cluster like:

1-2-3

With Mario outside of the top group, but a solid number 4 by himself. With Hull as 5.
But I have to admit I'd be shocked to see Hull ahead of Mario on a list.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
someone made an interesting point a couple of years ago in a debate about hull and beliveau. esposito was hull's C for a while in chicago. but after he was traded to boston and became "the man" on his line, he exploded offensively.

'67 with chicago: 69 games, 61p

'68 with boston: 74 games, 84p
'69 with boston: 74 games, 126p

in '68, orr missed 1/2 the season, and only scored 31p.
in '69, orr missed 9 games and scored 64p.

expansion obviously boosted esposito's scoring some, but on chicago, esposito was a very good scorer, and on boston, he set many scoring records.

the argument was basically that hull was a selfish player.

i haven't seen nearly enough to say whether that argument has any merit, but it is interesting.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Bure did drop off later in his career. Completely. He stopped playing, while Lindros tried to grind out a few more years. Nobody cares about totals from the butt end of done like Dinner players careers. Trying to use them to devalue his prime advantage does not work in these discussions. When you look at total career instead of peak? Sure, makes Bure look closer, except that he was not close.

Few players have primes longer than 9 years, and Lindros' prime was much stronger.

Bure's only redeeming feature was offense. Bure was a Detriment to his team otherwise. Lindros brought more offense and much more of everything else important to the table.

Lindros was the better overall player but Bure actually played the full seasons during his 5 best years. You know that matters more than point per game, even during lindros best seasons, he missed 20-30 games.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
someone made an interesting point a couple of years ago in a debate about hull and beliveau. esposito was hull's C for a while in chicago. but after he was traded to boston and became "the man" on his line, he exploded offensively.

'67 with chicago: 69 games, 61p

'68 with boston: 74 games, 84p
'69 with boston: 74 games, 126p

in '68, orr missed 1/2 the season, and only scored 31p.
in '69, orr missed 9 games and scored 64p.

expansion obviously boosted esposito's scoring some, but on chicago, esposito was a very good scorer, and on boston, he set many scoring records.

the argument was basically that hull was a selfish player.

i haven't seen nearly enough to say whether that argument has any merit, but it is interesting.
Espo was a good scorer with Chicago because he played with Hull. If you watch some of those games Espo was very slow & awkward, Espo was a late bloomer who blossomed under the boston system.

No way Hull was a selfish player. he was a team guy all the way. That he held Espo back is a riduculous argument.

I'm kinda with Nalyd on this I don't have Hull in the top 4 but I have him comfortably in # 5 with a drop off to my #6 who BTW isn't either Richard or Beliveau,

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad