2009 Top 100 Update Preliminary Discussion Thread

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
Like I said, the guys could be close to a coin flip, but I have Shore ahead for a very good reason. Between the dawn of Hockey and 1950, Shore was considered to have been 1 of the two greatest players ever to play the game. Until Howe materialized, Morenz and Shore kept that title neatly wrapped. They were a head and shoulders above their peers.

Shore will be my #2 Dman behind Orr, with Harvey right after him.

Kind of stumbled on this today.

In the February 15th, 1958 issue of MacLean's there is an article by Trent Frayne entitled; How Doug Harvey Loafed His Way to Fame.

For the story Frayne interviewed Eddie Shore for his opinion about Harvey.

Shore himself says unhesitatingly "Harvey is the best I've ever seen. He's cool, he can think and he can lift a team.

As can be expected Toe Blake who played against Shore, ranks Harvey his superior. The most interesting and telling comment however comes from Joe Primeau, who volunteers that because of rule changes in hockey a comparision between the two is impracticable.

With all that being said I believe the Shore/Harvey comparision probably doesn't have a conclusive answer, except for that with Orr, they make up the top three d-men of all time.

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
Loking forward to it even more than last time, despite not handing in any list. I'm just not knowledged enough on the players beyond 50th spot from before 1970.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->