2009 HFNHL Free Agency Announced

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Any overage player can be signed for the max of $8M and the rest will have a rookie max of $900K. I am not sure what the cut off date is...maybe Reggie can answer this one.

I've really been wondering about this and I know we've never been able to find a definitive answer to if the max applies for 25+ players. That said, using overage europeans as an example, I don't recall any of them coming over for more than 1 year at rookie max. If I recall even Backstrom came over cheap on a 1 year deal.

Are we really going to have GM's open to offering multi million dollar contracts to these type guys?

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
I've really been wondering about this and I know we've never been able to find a definitive answer to if the max applies for 25+ players. That said, using overage europeans as an example, I don't recall any of them coming over for more than 1 year at rookie max. If I recall even Backstrom came over cheap on a 1 year deal.

Are we really going to have GM's open to offering multi million dollar contracts to these type guys?

That is waht we did last season with Jonas Frogren and many others. If team has deep pockets and are willing to pay than why not.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
We cannot sign european newcomers (signed first contract with NHL team), but americans/canadians we can, why is that?

I don't think this part of your question has been answered (maybe I missed it).

The reason is the European players are still draft eligible up to 22. So even if an NHL team has signed a 21yo to come over from Europe (presumably someone they drafted) he is still draft eligible in the HFNHL and therefore cannot be signed as a FA.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

In the case of Backstrom, the 1 year deal was simply a way to solve a contract negotiation. He was clearly elite, so he wanted top $'s, but he was on your prospect list rotting away making no money, so willing to play for cheap for one season. Obviously a different scenario than a free agent.

Yes, we allow multi-year deals for overage Euro's >25. There are pros and cons to both both rules (1 year only v multi-year) and in this case, best to follow the NHL which is what we typically do.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
In the case of Backstrom, the 1 year deal was simply a way to solve a contract negotiation. He was clearly elite, so he wanted top $'s, but he was on your prospect list rotting away making no money, so willing to play for cheap for one season. Obviously a different scenario than a free agent.

Yes, we allow multi-year deals for overage Euro's >25. There are pros and cons to both both rules (1 year only v multi-year) and in this case, best to follow the NHL which is what we typically do.

There must have been a misunderstanding. I was referencing the NHL not the HFNHL when I said I don't recall (too lazy to see if I can disprove myself) overage europeans signing more than one year deals since the new CBA.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
III. Restricted Free Agents :

OFFER -- COMPENSATION
• Up to $994,000 - No compensation
• $994,000 to $1,506,000 million - One 3rd round draft pick
• $1,506,000 to $3,013,000 million - One second round pick
• $3,013,000 to $4,520,000 million - One 1st and one 3rd round pick
• $4,520,000 to $6,026,000 million - One 1st, one 2nd and one 3rd round pick
• $6,026,000 to $7,533,000 million - Two 1sts, one 2nd and one 3rd round pick
• Over $7.533.000 million - Four 1st round picks

I just noticed this now, but the different brackets for this overlap. I submitted an offer sheet at the top end of a bracket and noted what compensation I thought would apply but perhaps it's off by $1.

If someone was to offer $6,026,000, as an example, would it be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for compensation or two 1sts, 2nd and a 3rd?

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I just noticed this now, but the different brackets for this overlap. I submitted an offer sheet at the top end of a bracket and noted what compensation I thought would apply but perhaps it's off by $1.

If someone was to offer $6,026,000, as an example, would it be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for compensation or two 1sts, 2nd and a 3rd?

The next bracket should start with $1. So a contract worth $1,506,001 would net a second-round pick, while a contract of $1,506,000 would net a third-round pick.

In your example, the offer would net 1 1st, 1 2nd and 1 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad