2004 Draft Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

Prussian_Blue said:
Schwarz should have gone ahead of Montoya then, and should be ranked ahead of him now.

Look at what Schwarz is doing as a 19-year-old playing against veterans in the Czech elite league, versus what Montoya's doing in the AHL. Their stats are very similar (Schwarz actually has a slightly better GAA and save percentage), but Schwarz has played more games, and is playing -- and excelling -- against players ten years older than he is, and veterans of high-level international competition.

If Schwarz was an Ottawa prospect, or a San Jose prospect, or a Detroit prospect, this board would hype him like nothing you've ever seen before. But he's a Blue, so of course, he can't possibly be as good as his numbers indicate... :shakehead

P_B

:bow: :blues

A Sharks prospect hyped on the prospect boards? Where? :eek:

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
X-SHARKIE said:
A Sharks prospect hyped on the prospect boards? Where? :eek:

I mentioned the Sharks only because it's pretty well-established that the Sharks have developed a lot of goalies. If they'd drafted Schwarz (or Konstantin Barulin, another Blues' goalie prospect who gets zero respect around here), he'd be their next big find, the next Kiprusoff or Toskala...

P_B

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't know Czech hockey at all, but are the players there much better than in the AHL?

BTW, Montoya IS a disappointment. I don't think that he would go in the 1st round today.

And BTW2, there so much praise on A.O. that I thought he would have IMPROVED his draft status :yo:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Ladd would still end up with Carolina, they just might not have needed to trade up to get him. So Ladd at #8.

1) Ovechkin
2) Malkin
3) Barker
4) Smid
5) Olesz
6) Schremp
7) Meszaros
8) Ladd
9) Montoya
10) Wolski

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MXD said:
I don't know Czech hockey at all, but are the players there much better than in the AHL?

BTW, Montoya IS a disappointment. I don't think that he would go in the 1st round today.

And BTW2, there so much praise on A.O. that I thought he would have IMPROVED his draft status :yo:

I guess you've missed Montoya's play in the AHL this year? There's no way in hell he wouldn't be a 1st rounder.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
I guess you've missed Montoya's play in the AHL this year? There's no way in hell he wouldn't be a 1st rounder.

He was supposed to be God's next coming, so anything else than NHL is a disappointment!

X-SHARKIE

Prussian_Blue said:
I mentioned the Sharks only because it's pretty well-established that the Sharks have developed a lot of goalies. If they'd drafted Schwarz (or Konstantin Barulin, another Blues' goalie prospect who gets zero respect around here), he'd be their next big find, the next Kiprusoff or Toskala...

P_B

Touchey. It's a stick situation there...Montoya had a horrible U-20 WJC and Schwarz was brilliant, Montoya was average durring the NCAA last year, and Schwarz was a bit below average in the Dub.

Pretty even so far...but it's good to see both are playing well.

I would still say Montoya slightly over Schwarz, untill Schwarz shows he can do it in NA in the AHL....probally next year because Cash deserves some NHL time.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
1) Alexander Ovechkin
2) Evgeni Malkin
3) Andrew Ladd
4) Rob Shcremp
5) Cam Barker
6) Andrej Meszaros
7) Wojtek Wolski
8) Rostislav Olesz
9) Ladislav Smid
10)Alexander Radulov

X-SHARKIE

Just remember who said that Wojtek Wolski has some Jeff Carter in him and had him at #5 in his 2004 draft ranking going to Phoenix.. :)

"He has HUGE upside. He's a 6-3 205 pound LW. He has looked good for Bramton this year. He great puck skills, and one of the better all around skaters in the draft. Excelent vision with a quick release and just tremendous skill."

"Wolski's big, instinctive, rangey, can create and has a heck of a shot at the same time, reminds me alot of Jeff Carter"

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
Speaking of, Julien Ellis was taken in the 6th round 189th overall, and is ripping up the Q and was the best tender in 04-05, where would you rank him now in terms of goaltenders taken.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
X-SHARKIE said:
Just remember who said that Wojtek Wolski has some Jeff Carter in him and had him at #5 in his 2004 draft ranking going to Phoenix.. :)

"He has HUGE upside. He's a 6-3 205 pound LW. He has looked good for Bramton this year. He great puck skills, and one of the better all around skaters in the draft. Excelent vision with a quick release and just tremendous skill."

"Wolski's big, instinctive, rangey, can create and has a heck of a shot at the same time, reminds me alot of Jeff Carter"
Are you posting your own scouting reports or something?

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Prussian_Blue said:

P_B

I've been calling Schwarz better than Montoya since draft day.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
J17ster said:
Alot of people were, just there were some crazy homers for Montoya at the time.

I don't think anything is set in stone at this point. Montoya hit a bump in the road last year but has seemed to regroup at a higher level. Until Schwarz and Montoya play in the NHL all of this talk is moot.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't think anything is set in stone at this point. Montoya hit a bump in the road last year but has seemed to regroup at a higher level. Until Schwarz and Montoya play in the NHL all of this talk is moot.
Obviously its way to early to tell who is going to be the better of the two career wise, but ive always preferred Schwarz over Montoya, going into the draft i thought Schwarz was the better Goaltender with the higher upsides IMO. Montoya is a solid prospect, but i dont think he was top #10.
I just dont understand why the Rangers picked him, with Lundqvist already and if they had wanted Montoya that bad couldnt they have have perhaps drafted down and still picked him up?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
J17ster said:
Obviously its way to early to tell who is going to be the better of the two career wise, but ive always preferred Schwarz over Montoya, going into the draft i thought Schwarz was the better Goaltender with the higher upsides IMO. Montoya is a solid prospect, but i dont think he was top #10.
I just dont understand why the Rangers picked him, with Lundqvist already and if they had wanted Montoya that bad couldnt they have have perhaps drafted down and still picked him up?

Obviously Schwartz has his detractors. Montoya wasn't the only goalie picked ahead of him that year. Yes, he's doing great in the Czech league now, but he was horrible in the WHL last year and so still has alot to prove in my eyes. He's far from a sure thing.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Rabid Ranger said:
Obviously Schwartz has his detractors. Montoya wasn't the only goalie picked ahead of him that year. Yes, he's doing great in the Czech league now, but he was horrible in the WHL last year and so still has alot to prove in my eyes. He's far from a sure thing.
Most Goaltenders have their troubles, Montoya to name one. Im not that familiar with Schwarzs stats from his last year in the dub, i remember that he didnt do that well, but i dont remember him being horrible. Either way id take Schwarz over Montoya at this point in their development.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
J17ster said:
Most Goaltenders have their troubles, Montoya to name one. Im not that familiar with Schwarzs stats from his last year in the dub, i remember that he didnt do that well, but i dont remember him being horrible. Either way id take Schwarz over Montoya at this point in their development.

That's fine, although I don't think Schwarz has done anything to push past Montoya when it comes to development or potential.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Rabid Ranger said:
That's fine, although I don't think Schwarz has done anything to push past Montoya when it comes to development or potential.

IMO, playing against older players and veterans of high-level international competition has pushed Schwarz ahead of Montoya slightly on the development curve. The pace and style of play in the Czech league is probably more like what Schwarz would be facing in the NHL, due to the mix of veterans and youngsters, and the Czech league is home to some pretty good hockey. Montoya, by contrast, is playing mostly against his peer group (in terms of age).

Not to say that the AHL isn't a great place for development, or that Montoya isn't a good prospect, because it is, and he is. I just think that Schwarz isn't getting his due (nor is 2003 draftee Konstantin Barulin, also mentioned above), and I'll remain convinced that the reason for this is primarily because Schwarz is a Blues' chattel, unless someone can prove otherwise to me.

P_B

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don't think Minnesota regrets taking Thelen. He had a really rough year in college but has bounced back in the W. Minnesota needed an offensive defenseman that can hit...Thelen is no slouch and I think if it wasn't for incumbancy, Thelen would have made the Wild early on.

KH1

It appears that the Islanders struck gold in 2004. A questionable decision to grab Nokelainen over Schremp has turned out fine as Nokie surprised a lot of us with his ability and (if we had the space) could be an effective checking line center for any team today.

After that Comeau has been tearing up the WHL in Kelowna, Wes O'Neill has looked more like the 1st/2nd rounder he was projected as than the 4th rounder he became, and Chris Campoli just might be the best rookie defenseman in the NHL right now.

Say what you will about Milbury but the man knows how to draft. His problem is holding onto the guys he picks :shakehead

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Thelen already has 12 points in 21 games and 3 goals. that more goals and points then he had in college last year.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
King Henry I said:
Chris Campoli just might be the best rookie defenseman in the NHL right now.

Dion Phaneuf has something to say about that...

I expected him to take 2-3 years to get his NHL wings but this kid is looking to dethrone Regehr in Calgary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad