2004 Draft Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
If the 2004 draft were to be re done where would you place each player. Certainly there have been some nice surprises (ei: Meszaros) and some less then nice surprises. How would you rate the players today. Or at least rate your top ten:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2004e.html

Here's what I think:
1) Ovechkin
2) Malkin
3) Meszaros
4) Robbie Schremp
5) Wojtek Wolski
6) Rostislav Olesz
7) Ladislav Smid
8) Cam Barker
9) Al Montoya
10) David Bolland

That's what it would look like if I were the gm for every team. What do you guys think. I did this pretty quickly and may have over looked some players. Let me know what you guys would do.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
1.) Alexander Ovechkin
2.) Evgeny Malkin
3.) Cam Barker
4.) Rostislav Olesz
5.) Andrew Ladd
6.) Andrej Meszaros
7.) Ladislav Smid
8.) Lauri Tukonen
9.) Alexander Radulov
10.) Travis Zajac

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Brandon Dubinsky was a 2nd rounder who should have been drafted in the first round.

He has 27 pts in 17 games in the WHL this season, plays with an edge and is on the US World Juniors team.

Transported Upstater

I think it's too early yet to judge the 2004. We can barely judge the 2003 yet.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
rigger said:
If the 2004 draft were to be re done where would you place each player. Certainly there have been some nice surprises (ei: Meszaros) and some less then nice surprises. How would you rate the players today. Or at least rate your top ten:

Here's what I think:
1) Ovechkin
2) Malkin
3) Meszaros
4) Robbie Schremp
5) Wojtek Wolski
6) Rostislav Olesz
7) Ladislav Smid
8) Cam Barker
9) Al Montoya
10) David Bolland

That's what it would look like if I were the gm for every team. What do you guys think. I did this pretty quickly and may have over looked some players. Let me know what you guys would do.

Its a little soon to "redo" the 2004 draft...a lot of 1st rounders haven't done anything yet.

Ovechkin-Malkin won't be known who should be 1st because Malkin is still in Russia...I would still put Barker over Meszaros...and possibly Schremp over Meszaros.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Guys who I think would move up from where they were drafted,

Radulov, Meszaros, Schremp, Voloshenko, Lisin, Nik Johnson, Evan McGrath, Chris Campoli, no doubt would go higher

Wolski, Bolland, Comeau, Soderberg, Goligoski, Casey Borer, Pogge, Mikhail Grabovsky, Vorobiev, Mark Mancari, Denis Kulyash, Jonathan Paiement, Pekka Rine, I would think they would go higher.

R J Anderson, Wes O'Neil, Kevin Porter, Alex Nikulin, Torrey Mitchell, Ben Walter, Patrick Kaleta, Robbie Earl, Michael Vernace, guys I could see going higher as well.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
1)Ovechkin
2)Malkin
3)Olesz
4)Barker
5)Meszaros
6)Schremp
7)Smid
8)Ladd
9)Tukonen
10)Radulov

Zajac, Wolski, Montoya, Bolland etc. honorable mentions.

Thelen and Valabik might fall out of the first round.

Transported Upstater

Man.Utd said:
Just quickly, a top 10 today might look like:

1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin
3. Olesz
4. Barker
5. Meszaros
6. Schremp
7. Smid
8. Tukonen
9. Ladd
10. Radulov

Not bad.

A Good Flying Bird*

rigger said:

Here's what I think:
1) Ovechkin
2) Malkin
3) Meszaros
4) Robbie Schremp
5) Wojtek Wolski
6) Rostislav Olesz
7) Ladislav Smid
8) Cam Barker
9) Al Montoya
10) David Bolland

Speaking of 04, Where would you guys rank Evan McGrath, approximately.
He was taken in the 4th, I believe, and surely would go higher if the draft were done today.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
TinCanCommunications said:
He was taken in the 4th, I believe, and surely would go higher if the draft were done today.

He would probably go in the first two rounds.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Greiss would definatly go higher than late third round as the 10th goalie. Definatly a top 5 goalie of that draft year and drafted by late second round.

A Good Flying Bird*

Leachmeister2000 said:
He would probably go in the first two rounds.

I could see him going as high as 15-25.
Good pick from the Wings.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I could see him going as high as 15-25.
Good pick from the Wings.

I could see him entering the first round but I don`t know, there`s still a risk factor attached to offensive minded average sized players like him.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
I've seen Tukonen play three times this year - based on those ice times, I wouldn't be surpised if he ends up being the 3rd best player out of that draft when its all said and done

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Mallard said:
I've seen Tukonen play three times this year - based on those ice times, I wouldn't be surpised if he ends up being the 3rd best player out of that draft when its all said and done
Thats what i was thinking but i'm biased. That being said he was slated as a top 5 and dropped to us

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga

Evan had a horrible year that year and was playing frustrated for most of it. Everyone realised how much of a threat he was so focused a lot of checking on him. I would've spent a 1st round pick on him, but I also got the inside track on him being an Oakville boy.

He put on a good bit of strength in the off-season after the draft and got his confidence back. I'd put him in the mid-teens.

From another thread, if I were drafting for each team, I would've taken:

1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin
3. Olesz
4. Barker
5. Wolski
6. Meszaros
7. Tukonen
8. Radulov
9. Montoya
10. Thelen

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
EHCler said:
Greiss would definatly go higher than late third round as the 10th goalie. Definatly a top 5 goalie of that draft year and drafted by late second round.

This guy is definitely turning heads over in Germany, completely dominating as a 19 year old in the DEL. Currently sporting a 1.61 GAA and .945 Sv% (both league highs) for the Cologne Sharks. Also, I hear reports of him being very impressive on a weak German team at the Deutschland Cup.

A Sharks goaltending prospect I can be proud of for sure.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Given that it's still way to early to make any final conclusions, I would say this: my impressions of the players hasn't changed by much. I don't know if that means I'm just too stubborn and just as dumb now as I was then, or what. I won't base it on the NHL draft order, because some of the players taken there wouldn't have been taken in the same positions by yours truly. But for the record:

Players whose value has increased to me relative to the 2004 1st Rnd:
Radulov - suspected his ability, wasn't sure, now I'm sure
Nokelainen - didn't expect him to play this soon, and he has, so it says something
Zajac - didn't know enough about him and was worried about his age... oops!
Meszaros - didn't know enough about him and was gulled by the false reports of his softness
Mike Green - well, I took him 18th in my FHL, and would have taken him even higher if I had to, so actually maybe I'm not all that surprised.

Players who have maintained their 2004 draft status quo to me:
Ovechkin, Malkin, Ladd, Olesz, Picard, Smid, Tukonen, Stafford, Dubnyk, Schwarz, Chipchura, Korprikoski, Wolski, Chucko, Schremp
(But I still don't like Wolski, and while Schremp has improved and there are guys ahead of him I didn't want to begin with, he wouldn't be any higher on _my_ list despite the gaudy OHL numbers so far).

Players who have dropped relative to their 2004 draft value to me:
Barker, Wheeler, Montoya, Valabik (and it says a lot that he dropped from already-low), Thelen, Kaspar

:dunno:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think Jeff Schultz is one that will rise next season if he continues the progression he made this past one.

But I still think it is waaaaaay to early to talk about this.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
rigger said:

Here's what I think:
1) Ovechkin
2) Malkin
3) Meszaros
4) Robbie Schremp
5) Wojtek Wolski
6) Rostislav Olesz
7) Ladislav Smid
8) Cam Barker
9) Al Montoya
10) David Bolland

Schwarz should have gone ahead of Montoya then, and should be ranked ahead of him now.

Look at what Schwarz is doing as a 19-year-old playing against veterans in the Czech elite league, versus what Montoya's doing in the AHL. Their stats are very similar (Schwarz actually has a slightly better GAA and save percentage), but Schwarz has played more games, and is playing -- and excelling -- against players ten years older than he is, and veterans of high-level international competition.

If Schwarz was an Ottawa prospect, or a San Jose prospect, or a Detroit prospect, this board would hype him like nothing you've ever seen before. But he's a Blue, so of course, he can't possibly be as good as his numbers indicate... :shakehead

P_B

:bow: :blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->