2004 Draft Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

WILDTATE10 said:
Thelen already has 12 points in 21 games and 3 goals. that more goals and points then he had in college last year.

But his agility and lateral movments are poor as his is defensive coverage.

He seems to have brain cramps way to often. Can be a liability in his own zone.

The way others in the 04 draft are playing behind him, especially Meszaro's....I think Minnesota regrets it.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
To be fair, Wolski was always highly regarded.. he fell quite late on because of issues surrounding some kind of work ethic? I forget what it was exactly.

As for my team's pick, Wheeler is doing nicely.. of course he has a lot to live up to like the rest of the top 10 picks. I dont think the Coyotes have any regrets on going for the high risk pick.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sean Keogh said:
While Campoli's had a surprising (and successful) season this far, this is a major overstatement.

Don't be so kind. It's homerism at it's finest (or worst depending on how you look at it).

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
Prussian_Blue said:
I mentioned the Sharks only because it's pretty well-established that the Sharks have developed a lot of goalies. If they'd drafted Schwarz (or Konstantin Barulin, another Blues' goalie prospect who gets zero respect around here), he'd be their next big find, the next Kiprusoff or Toskala...

P_B

:bow: :blues

PB, unfortunately a lot of average fans will only determine player development based on the last prospect developed. BJ isn't exactly the poster boy for goaltending prospects.

I for one was amazed with Schwarz's abilities at the WJC's and thought he was the best there, but there are some (even some whose opinions I respect highly) that wouldn't trade two pieces of used TP for him because of his time with Vancouver in the Dub.

BTW, I still think the Blues should've grabbed Green, but Schwarz is A-OK USA!

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Gwyddbwyll said:
To be fair, Wolski was always highly regarded.. he fell quite late on because of issues surrounding some kind of work ethic? I forget what it was exactly.

As for my team's pick, Wheeler is doing nicely.. of course he has a lot to live up to like the rest of the top 10 picks. I dont think the Coyotes have any regrets on going for the high risk pick.

I think he came off as having a lack of passion on the ice. This coupled with his getting into a fight like what, the week before the draft?

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Pete Rock said:
PB, unfortunately a lot of average fans will only determine player development based on the last prospect developed. BJ isn't exactly the poster boy for goaltending prospects.

Point taken, sir... maybe if Bacashihua comes through (and he's having what looks like a breakout season in Peoria this year), the (excuse the mental picture you're about to get) poor taste of BJ will finally be washed out of people's mouths... :p:

Pete Rock said:
I for one was amazed with Schwarz's abilities at the WJC's and thought he was the best there, but there are some (even some whose opinions I respect highly) that wouldn't trade two pieces of used TP for him because of his time with Vancouver in the Dub.

I've never failed to be amazed at how quickly some people can write off an 18- or 19-year-old kid as a top prospect on the basis of a single sub-par season. :confused:

I've also never failed to be amazed at how some prospects, because of the hype they've gotten previously, or because of the organization they belong to, will get a free pass after a sub-par season, while others -- like Schwarz -- will get dissed mercilessly for it.

Pete Rock said:
BTW, I still think the Blues should've grabbed Green, but Schwarz is A-OK USA!

I could have lived with Mike Green, but I'm glad the Blues have been quietly developing such a fine stable of goalie prospects. As a supporter of a team that has repeatedly been charged (and, probably, rightly so) with failure to develop goaltenders, it's very gratifying to see guys like Schwarz, Barulin, Bacashihua and Ben Bishop all playing so well.

P_B

:bow: :blues

KH1

Rabid Ranger said:
Don't be so kind. It's homerism at it's finest (or worst depending on how you look at it).
No question. I actually meant to say among the best rookie defensemen in the NHL, not the best. Campoli can't come close to touching Phaneuf, or Seabrooke for that matter. You can't argue that the Isles didn't get their money's worth for him though.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
X-SHARKIE said:
But his agility and lateral movments are poor as his is defensive coverage.

He seems to have brain cramps way to often. Can be a liability in his own zone.

The way others in the 04 draft are playing behind him, especially Meszaro's....I think Minnesota regrets it.

Not really...Minnesota needed an offensive-defenseman and Thelen was the pick. It helped in the PR to have a kid come from Minnesota too. As I said, he nearly made it out of camp.

Minnesota has always picked up point producers because Lemaire can work on the finer things.

He's a big kid, and he'll do fine in the NHL. He's neither a disappointment nor a success at this point. Defensemen take a while to develop.

BTW, Sharkie, I know how you feel. No one thinks about the Wild prospects and apparently they all suck dick compare to other prospects, even though Volo is leading the AHL rookies, Olvecky has looked pretty damn good, Stoner too...

X-SHARKIE

DoobieDoobieDo said:
BTW, Sharkie, I know how you feel. No one thinks about the Wild prospects and apparently they all suck dick compare to other prospects, even though Volo is leading the AHL rookies, Olvecky has looked pretty damn good, Stoner too...

I was just saying Thelen at this point wasn't a good pick. I actually love Brent Burns, Mikko Koivu is underated, and Voloshenko is really grabbing my attention with his goal scoring exploits at this level.

I'm not bashing the Wilds prospects at all, they are building a strong team threw the draft, but i'm sure they are thinking that Meszaro's would've been the better pick at this point.

Even if we bring up the upside arguament, I think Meszaro's wins.

Vic Rattlehead*

If the draft was done over, Krejci and Walter are two prospects the B's drafted who would have probably been taken higher.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Rabid Ranger said:
I wouldn't say that, especially in the WHL.

League to league in the CHL, the WHL is by far the hardest. But from NCAA to whatever major junior league, I think there is definitely a difference. For a guy like Thelen, getting those 12 points is going to come easier there than in college. I mean it seems like the average, run of the mill drafted forward is around a point per game(more or less some) and defenseman probably half-with no immenent impact in the NHL. Put up those stats in the NCAA and you're elite talents like Tambellini, Vanek, Heatley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad