Post-Game Talk: 2003 Wild 3, Canucks 2 (Letowski, Naslund)

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i liked the sequence late in the third where doughty drew an embellished penalty, was punished for it by not drawing a clear actual penalty and then had a late penalty called against him. i don't know if the off ice officials update refs during the period now on who dives but it sure looked like it.

other than that though, the game was a boring affront to the fans. the way the kings play is also not compatible with them thinking they are a contender. that's more like a team that has topped out and is hanging on. best they can do is a wild-like run, but sooner or later they will get stomped.

as for the canucks, they can defend i don't feel they can impose their will offensively consistently when they need to in games, so i don't think they are strong contenders this year based on current form. but they still have ten games to work some stuff out.

Reactions: Regress2TheMeme

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
This is the type of match-up where you will see the Canucks lead in scoring chances, per the zones those shots are tracked in, and still lose in terms of the scramble plays in front of the net. LA is excellent at this.

It's getting to the net, for either team. Tocchet said it was a coin flip with them getting the better of the scramble plays. I think that's a good read on the game.

One goal was scored on a scramble in front of the net.

We had a bad change. Played with 4 guys out.

A goal that was banked of two canucks one of them twice... (not a scramble)

And finally yeah a scramble play. Judging only this game... I have no idea what you are talking about when saying scramble plays were the difference...

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I would never buy a ticket to go see this Kings team. Imagine paying $200 per seat to watch LA trap it up and Drew Doughty flop around... The shots were 17 each late in the third period. I agree with the point that the Kings are just hanging around and won't be able to stop teams like the Aves, Oilers and Stars.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I would never buy a ticket to go see this Kings team. Imagine paying $200 per seat to watch LA trap it up and Drew Doughty flop around... The shots were 17 each late in the third period. I agree with the point that the Kings are just hanging around and won't be able to stop teams like the Aves, Oilers and Stars.
Idk watching Doughty literally scream as he flopped to the ground diving was pretty entertaining

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Last night's game may have been boring, may or may not have been scrambly, but it definitely has led to the greatest debate on scrambaliciousness in the history not just of HFBoards, but of the entire internet including the dark web.

I know, I know . . . silver linings

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I took his comment more as 'they got some bounces around the net and took their chances and we didn't.'

He's saying there's a difference in how each team executed in the blue paint. His guys lacked execution there, said his players were 'antsy' and out of position (back post scoring position/offense), and then he says his players didn't own the blue paint when LA scored the 2 goals in the second (defense).

And again, LA didn't somehow generate a whole bunch of scrambles or chances around the net. There were hardly any plays like that during the game and in most games when you generated as little as LA did last night you're finishing with 0-2 goals.

The first two goals were both very strange situations and essentially PP goals for LA. First one we only had 4 players on the ice and 1 D and predictably had a major breakdown, second goal was an extended 6-on-5 where we eventually booted the puck into our own net.

In terms of 5-on-5 play that was a 1-1 game where we had a substantial shot/chance advantage.

It is something to note that in the 3 games the Canucks have played against LA they've outchanced them in HDCF every time, but have not scored first in any of their games... (And are 1 and 2)

The one solace is that LA does generate less HDCFs overall. If you want to hang your hat on that, I'd say that is prudent. My take here is subjective. I'm not looking at the data, it's just what I noticed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad