GDT: #20| Flames at FLYERS | Sat. Nov. 18, 1:00 pm ET | SN1, SNE, SNO, SNP, NBCSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Pick one player. Who is most to blame? Silly to even argue it.

As I said, if Sanhiem wants to start producing like a PMD, then I’ll take the turnovers/goals against/OT games lost to a certain extent. He had simply cost us more than he has given.

But it's crazy to even think that way, you know? He is just getting started and he has shown enough - both this season and since we drafted him - to just relax about it. We are like 19 games into his career - this just isn't the way you talk about or look at somebody at this stage.

Reactions: Rebels57 and Tripod

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The problem with Gudas is that he gets suspended based on his reputation.
His stubborn demeanor, unwillingness to admit when he has made a mistake in the past will now cost him, even if he didn't do this intentionally.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Interesting point on TSN radio, Gudas being a slashing penalty and not his norm will come into play to help him a bit. 8 games they are guessing as well

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Weird how multiple people here today who are Jets fans are raving about Sanheim and how good he looks. The kid better be here to stay and needs his TOI to increase.

Flyers need to get rid of the trash players to make sure he gets his playing time. Goodbye to Hak, Lappy, AMac and Manning, then he'll get more time on the ice. Also, I think him and Provy should be the tandem on the back end for the 2nd PP unit.

Giroux-Couts-Simmonds
Ghost-Voracek

Konecny-Patrick-Weal/Filp
Provy-Sanheim

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
But it's crazy to even think that way, you know? He is just getting started and he has shown enough - both this season and since we drafted him - to just relax about it. We are like 19 games into his career - this just isn't the way you talk about or look at somebody at this stage.
Agreed. I would like to give him a lot of slack. This stupid team puts in manning and Amac ahead of Morin so it comes down to wanting a pmd over Morin etc etc. morin needs to play ahead of sanhiem imo. It’s a competition, these are jobs at stake, rookies or not. Morin played amazing in the preseason. He should be in in addition to sanhiem. But if not, it has to be instead IMO.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Agreed. I would like to give him a lot of slack. This stupid team puts in manning and Amac ahead of Morin so it comes down to wanting a pmd over Morin etc etc. morin needs to play ahead of sanhiem imo. It’s a competition, these are jobs at stake, rookies or not. Morin played amazing in the preseason. He should be in in addition to sanhiem. But if not, it has to be instead IMO.

I desperately want Big Sam in there too, but Sanheim is definitely going to be the more important player for us long-term and he needs to be getting these games in now and getting these (natural) mistakes out of his system now when this season doesn't mean jack ****, results wise, to the big picture.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Manning didn’t play it great but he was defending a turnover caused by sanhiem so how is it equally on him? It’s not like manning turned it over. He also attempted to cut off the pass and it went between his legs. It was actually a good play.

I don’t get why someone can’t come on here and say sanhiem made a bad play. He needs to improve, without your worlds ending. I know a few of you are sensitive about him, but yea without him that goal doesn’t happen. That can be said a few times. At least one other time it cost us a win.

You didn't say "Sanheim made a bad play", which he did.

You said the goal was "solely because of him", which it wasn't.

Turnovers happen, it wasn't some crazy egregious mistake he made out of stupidity. He tried to get the puck up the boards but I got stolen.
Manning didn't take the pass or the shot, he kneeled down in the middle and prevented nothing. He made a worse error than Sanheim did.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

That makes no sense.

We are a team with Provy and Ghost as the only PMD without Sanheim. Our GAA is MUCH better than our scoring, yet you want to take out a guy who can push offense for a defensive only guy.

Flawed logic.

Manning out, Morin in is the logical move.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I desperately want Big Sam in there too, but Sanheim is definitely going to be the more important player for us long-term and he needs to be getting these games in now and getting these (natural) mistakes out of his system now when this season doesn't mean jack ****, results wise, to the big picture.

Hard to disagree with that. I do think Morin will be very important though. If we are talking about the forward we all know on our way to winning a cup you need Morin in there, learning and making errors just the same.

You didn't say "Sanheim made a bad play", which he did.

You said the goal was "solely because of him", which it wasn't.

Turnovers happen, it wasn't some crazy egregious mistake he made out of stupidity. He tried to get the puck up the boards but I got stolen.
Manning didn't take the pass or the shot, he kneeled down in the middle and prevented nothing. He made a worse error than Sanheim did.

Well if he did make that error it wouldn’t be a goal. Manning tried to take away the pass and they made an excellent pass through his legs. It was a very nice pass. Not that I like manning at all but it’s not on him or Elliot.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
With Gudas likely suspended and Mac Donald still in need of a couple of full contact practices I would expect to see Mark Alt in the lineup.

From all reports out there Morin has looked shaky in his first AHL game back since the injury.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
That makes no sense.

We are a team with Provy and Ghost as the only PMD without Sanheim. Our GAA is MUCH better than our scoring, yet you want to take out a guy who can push offense for a defensive only guy.

Flawed logic.

Manning out, Morin in is the logical move.
That is the logical move but we aren’t dealing with logic. So until that happens I want the guy costing us goals for the guy that is better at defending then because, A. Sanhiem has not contributed offensively yet so Morin could bring more just by circumstance, B. We can’t score goals as a team so we need to make sure we have the best chance at winning 2-1 or 1-0. This is how it is under Hak.

Reactions: JXC

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well if he did make that error it wouldn’t be a goal. Manning tried to take away the pass and they made an excellent pass through his legs. It was a very nice pass. Not that I like manning at all but it’s not on him or Elliot.

So it's only Sanheim's fault because he preceded Manning screwing up?

So how far back can we take this?

If the center didn't win the faceoff then Sanheim doesn't have the puck to turnover... so it's the centers fault, right?

The point is his mistake didn't directly lead to the goal. If he was behind the net and passed it out front to an opponent, who then scored, then it'd be be all on him. Or if he turned the puck over which led to a breakaway then maybe. But turning the puck over isn't enough to pin it solely on him, especially when others made bigger mistakes closer to the time of the goal.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
No sugar coating. Sanheim has not been that good and we could use some more snarl in his place or keep him up and run the legs off him but Morin should be in. Ghost hasn't been that great either. Never ties up anyone infront.
Ghost will never be physical.

I am willing to live with Sanheim’s errors because this year is a growth year. Errors by young fellows is what this year is for.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
So it's only Sanheim's fault because he preceded Manning screwing up?

So how far back can we take this?

If the center didn't win the faceoff then Sanheim doesn't have the puck to turnover... so it's the centers fault, right?

The point is his mistake didn't directly lead to the goal. If he was behind the net and passed it out front to an opponent, who then scored, then it'd be be all on him. But turning the puck over isn't enough to pin it solely on him, especially when others made bigger mistakes closer to the time of the goal.

He turned the puck over! It’s on him! It’s the same thing as turning the puck over behind the net. Turning the puck over at the blue like can be just as dangerous as anywhere else. Just because manning and Elliot couldn’t bail him out doesn’t mean sanhiem is off the hook.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
The centericeman winning the faceoff is a good play.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I actually said he played a good game but that we can’t afford to have a playey, any player, play a good game and get shots towards to net, but be responsible for multiple goals against. Sanhiem has not scored and has contributed little to offense. Sanhiem has had several poor plays that resulted in goals against.
You're a results guy I get it. Someone scores they get credit. Other team scores someone gets blamed. Goals happen so rarely that everything gets magnified if you just narrow it down to goal results. Look at Ghost last year. Shitty goal results and everyone says he can't play D. Not much of that this year, huh?

As for the points, he doesn't play on the PP and the Flyers are a 1 line team. He plays like 13% of his shifts with that line. He put two pucks right on Filppula's stick in the crease, no goals. Does he have to pass Flip's stick into the net as well? It's not like he's not creating chances or getting his own (and he's not even being that aggressive by his standards). The points will come. I am not worried about that at all.

Would Morin have a better impact on the team? It’s great that we are tightening up on D. Really is. But we can’t score more that a few goals a game max. So until we get a new coach and are able to score more goals, we can’t have blatant errors losing us games.
So we just concede that this team will never score and play even more conservative? Alrighty then.

As for the bolded, that's exactly how the coach thinks and operates and that's why we have the results that we do.

Morin would decrease the amount of goals going in and could even bring more production than sanhiem to this point. If there was no Morin I’d have nothing to say.
We literally have years of data including last year when they were on the same team that suggests this is nothing more than a hopeless claim.

FWIW as far as the D goes, when Sanheim is on the ice, the Flyers give up the fewest shot attempts and the fewest scoring chances. Trust the Process.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
That is the logical move but we aren’t dealing with logic. So until that happens I want the guy costing us goals for the guy that is better at defending then because, A. Sanhiem has not contributed offensively yet so Morin could bring more just by circumstance, B. We can’t score goals as a team so we need to make sure we have the best chance at winning 2-1 or 1-0. This is how it is under Hak.
It is to be hoped that we will see both roundabout January.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He turned the puck over! It’s on him! It’s the same thing as turning the puck over behind the net. Turning the puck over at the blue like can be just as dangerous as anywhere else. Just because manning and Elliot couldn’t bail him out doesn’t mean sanhiem is off the hook.
And again, since clearly you aren't reading my posts...

SANHEIM MADE A MISTAKE, BUT HE WASN'T THE SOLE REASON FOR THE GOAL, WHICH IS WHAT YOU SAID.

Clear enough? I didn't say Sanheim was off the hook or wasn't at all responsible.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ghost will never be physical.

I am willing to live with Sanheim’s errors because this year is a growth year. Errors by young fellows is what this year is for.

Ghost has actually upped his physicality around the boards this year. Guys don't have a free trip behind the net through him like they did the last couple years, he's actually rubbing guys out now.

Sure he isn't gonna manhandle guys like Gudas or Provy but he is way better.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Also, seconding the notion that the problem with Manning is that he tries to play beyond his limitations. The nice thing about Hagg is he is rarely doing that. Manning is notorious for it. FFS the guy believed he was the offensive lead while playing with Ghost last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad