Post-Game Talk: #20 - 11/17/18 | panthers @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG [PGT starts page 33]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
No they weren't wrong, we should have been eliminated in 4 or 5. It didn't happen, but it should have.

He single handedly won that series though. They got slaughtered in pretty much every other facet of the game in that first series outside of goalie suckage, where playoff Price has a leg up on everyone.

I had the Rangers winning that series based on Price crapping the bed. I was dead on with that one.

They lost against a weaker opponent in the next round, I thought we had a cake walk into the ECF... AV ****ed that one up, but Hank wasn't the same either.

Yes they were wrong (I don't care how well Hank played) and many admitted it after. No one gave us any chance in that series. especially going into the playoffs. Now all of the sudden we should have cake walked to the eastern conference finals that year.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yes they were wrong (I don't care how well Hank played) and many admitted it after. No one gave us any chance in that series. especially going into the playoffs. Now all of the sudden we should have cake walked to the eastern conference finals that year.

Yes after getting by Montreal.

Ottawa sucked.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Yes after getting by Montreal.

Ottawa sucked.

Ottawa took the Pens to 7. I wouldn't say they sucked. They knocked out the bruins in 6 (after they should have been down 2 games to none). They were a very resilient bunch led by obviously an offensive machine on defense.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
No they weren't wrong, we should have been eliminated in 4 or 5. It didn't happen, but it should have.

He single handedly won that series though. They got slaughtered in pretty much every other facet of the game in that first series outside of goalie suckage, where playoff Price has a leg up on everyone.

I had the Rangers winning that series based on Price crapping the bed. I was dead on with that one.

They lost against a weaker opponent in the next round, I thought we had a cake walk into the ECF... AV ****ed that one up, but Hank wasn't the same either.

Very rarely does a coach factor into a series, but AV literally loss that series on his own with some of his absolute brain-dead decisions that he made.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I honestly think Quinn’s message for Skjei is to stop trying to be Orr. You don’t have to do everything.
Has to be. Kind of like "keep it simple stupid". And now more than ever, he can. We have to remember who his other regular defenseman were when he first came up.

Starting off with Marc, Dan, and McD and all of them were but a shell of themselves, (McD to a lesser degree) but had the experience. Kevin Klein was good and then there were Holden, Kampfer and Clendening. All older, (even Holden) So they were there in regard to leadership and guidance, and with a little confidence he improved. With the exception of McD, he easily was the fastest. He instantly became the "golden boy" on defense simply because of his age and most Ranger fans were thirsting for someone young and possibly becoming part of the future.
Now whether or not he was better in AV's, (sure seems that way) but might not be the "only reason", but needs to adjust his game if thats the case. Certainly his play has taken a hit, and could be the primary reason for his decline. Maybe its complacency. Maybe it was the "old boys" that were better for him, than what he has around him now and aren't there to help any longer.

Could it be that others around him made him look better, and now others making him look worse?

Think he's simply trying to do it all (like stated by OP) and maybe the success has gotten to his head. (GWG in OT, etc)

Quinnie apparently is tougher than AV on the guys, and some old habits die hard, like he said re-learning is tougher than just learning to do it the right way from the beginning. Wow, if that ain't a shot at AV, then nothing is. Lol.

Sooner or later, there can be no excuses made. He either stays what he has been (not great), which may lead to more benchings........or, find out exactly what Quinnie expects from him, and that my friends, could be as simple as a little k.i.s.s. advice.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Has to be. Kind of like "keep it simple stupid". And now more than ever, he can. We have to remember who his other regular defenseman were when he first came up.

Starting off with Marc, Dan, and McD and all of them were but a shell of themselves, (McD to a lesser degree) but had the experience. Kevin Klein was good and then there were Holden, Kampfer and Clendening. All older, (even Holden) So they were there in regard to leadership and guidance, and with a little confidence he improved. With the exception of McD, he easily was the fastest. He instantly became the "golden boy" on defense simply because of his age and most Ranger fans were thirsting for someone young and possibly becoming part of the future.
Now whether or not he was better in AV's, (sure seems that way) but might not be the "only reason", but needs to adjust his game if thats the case. Certainly his play has taken a hit, and could be the primary reason for his decline. Maybe its complacency. Maybe it was the "old boys" that were better for him, than what he has around him now and aren't there to help any longer.

Could it be that others around him made him look better, and now others making him look worse?

Think he's simply trying to do it all (like stated by OP) and maybe the success has gotten to his head. (GWG in OT, etc)

Quinnie apparently is tougher than AV on the guys, and some old habits die hard, like he said re-learning is tougher than just learning to do it the right way from the beginning. Wow, if that ain't a shot at AV, then nothing is. Lol.

Sooner or later, there can be no excuses made. He either stays what he has been (not great), which may lead to more benchings........or, find out exactly what Quinnie expects from him, and that my friends, could be as simple as a little k.i.s.s. advice.

Skjei is solid. The thing is that his skill set encourages him to try to do it all: he is very good in all aspects of the game — but he doesn’t dominate in a particular area and, in that regard, reminds me of Bouwmeester. Is he a top offensive defenseman like Karlsson or Burns? No. Is he a defensive juggernaut like Hedman? No. Is he a physical presence like Kronwall or Phaneuf (back in the day)? No. He either needs to pick one function and stick to it or up his game across the board. Until then, though, he needs to KISS — as you correctly say.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Some peeps be gettin a nice dose of their own medicine up in here today lol
:popcorn:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The better teams will get better as the year goes on. Teams like Pitt and Wash are half assing it right now. Couple that with two things. Hank will slump he always does even at 26 he always slumps. He’s been the mvp thus far.

And 2 we will trade away players. We dealt 5 guys leading up to the deadline. Most likely will do about the same this year.

I still say we end up bottom 5. We’ll battle as long as we can but eventually we’ll get passed by better teams

Hank slumps as the season goes on? News to me. Statistically April is his most dominant month.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Very rarely does a coach factor into a series, but AV literally loss that series on his own with some of his absolute brain-dead decisions that he made.

Lol...the team was toast. Only the excel sheet minutiae sniffers thought doing some feng shui roster rearranging ala NHL 94 pre game lobby would have gotten that sinking ship any further than it did.

In 2014, I’m not sure the Rangers would have won the ECF had Price not gone down, and that was when the Rangers were at their best since 1994, and it was the peak of that core of the New Era®️

So by adjusting some usage charts, a much weaker , older, injured, neutered , and demoralized roster was going to go as deep
or deeper by adjusting the bottom 6 a bit according to high school kids on this forum?

Yeesh...

There is no secret that team was done.

It’s the same nonsense with usage now with Quinn “ruining” players.

All bullshit and devoid of reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: bl02

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Hank slumps as the season goes on? News to me. Statistically April is his most dominant month.

This

Hank “always has slow starts” was the old jingle leave off the last S for savings.

But now Hank had a good start for once , so just do a 1984 KGB and flip the narrative to his “slow starts in April”

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Lol...the team was toast. Only the excel sheet minutiae sniffers thought doing some feng shui roster rearranging ala NHL 94 pre game lobby would have gotten that sinking ship any further than it did.

In 2014, I’m not sure the Rangers would have won the ECF had Price not gone down, and that was when the Rangers were at their best since 1994, and it was the peak of that core of the New Era®️

So by adjusting some usage charts, a much weaker , older, injured, neutered , and demoralized roster was going to go as deep
or deeper by adjusting the bottom 6 a bit according to high school kids on this forum?

Yeesh...

There is no secret that team was done.

It’s the same nonsense with usage now with Quinn “ruining” players.

All bull**** and devoid of reality.

Sorry, but AV lost that Ottawa series on his own. Doesn't matter what they may or may not have done after that series. I'm not one to crap on coaches at all, but AV deserved his walking papers after that series. Never seen a head coach blunder a series as badly as AV did in that one.

As for 2014, they still likely win the ECF even with Price starting. It's not like his backup did THAT much worse than what Price probably would have. It's all moot - because we'll never know. That being said, 2014 was their peak.

PS. I like what David Quinn is doing so far. He's definitely not "ruining" players

Reactions: NYR2007

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Sorry, but AV lost that Ottawa series on his own. Doesn't matter what they may or may not have done after that series. I'm not one to crap on coaches at all, but AV deserved his walking papers after that series. Never seen a head coach blunder a series as badly as AV did in that one.

As for 2014, they still likely win the ECF even with Price starting. It's not like his backup did THAT much worse than what Price probably would have. It's all moot - because we'll never know. That being said, 2014 was their peak.

PS. I like what David Quinn is doing so far. He's definitely not "ruining" players

Again, AV losing the series was a meme. The team was dying. Did he make all the right decisions? Of course not, but most of the yanmering about him from that series originated on social media fancy stat stuff with “usage charts” etc. It was just a hanzo sword reinforced echo chamber of ignorance.

Yes, at some point, even Scotty Bowman can only get so much out of what he has on his roster. Otherwise, any average team or player could become long term dominant just by being polished, which even just considering “common sense” is ridiculous.

The bottom line is most of the people who thought some bottom 6 roster movement would have salvaged anything more, are the same people claiming conspiracies of ruining, agendas, and bitching about rookies who even if they reach full potential, are relistically mid 6ers on developed teams “not getting the minutes they deserve.”

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Again, AV losing the series was a meme. The team was dying. Did he make all the right decisions? Of course not, but most of the yanmering about him from that series originated on social media fancy stat stuff with “usage charts” etc. It was just a hanzo sword reinforced echo chamber of ignorance.

Yes, at some point, even Scotty Bowman can only get so much out of what he has on his roster. Otherwise, any average team or player could become long term dominant just by being polished, which even just considering “common sense” is ridiculous.

The bottom line is most of the people who thought some bottom 6 roster movement would have salvaged anything more, are the same people claiming conspiracies of ruining, agendas, and *****ing about rookies who even if they reach full potential, are relistically mid 6ers on developed teams “not getting the minutes they deserve.”

Guess what? It STILL doesn't change the fact that AV lost that series by himself with his numerous and numerous coaching blunders. At the very least, a semi-competent coach (which AV was far from against Ottawa) wins that series.

I had honestly never seen worst coaching in a series until that one. As I said, I'm not even one to usually blame coaching that much, but that series was a disaster for AV.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Guess what? It STILL doesn't change the fact that AV lost that series by himself with his numerous and numerous coaching blunders. At the very least, a semi-competent coach (which AV was far from against Ottawa) wins that series.

I had honestly never seen worst coaching in a series until that one. As I said, I'm not even one to usually blame coaching that much, but that series was a disaster for AV.

The Senators then took the eventual cup winners, The Penguins [who beat a super strong Nashville in 6] to 7 games. Given the momentum of Pittsburgh after trades and how the Rangers were then, the Penguins would have stomped the shit out of us, yet Ottawa took them to 7.

See in 2017, the Rangers were still doubling tripling we just need the power ball number and we Gucci! on the high water mark and fail of 2014, the year of the butt move. It was just patches on a sinking ship, and unwavering drive of Lundqvist.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

He takes a month off every year. I didn’t say it was linear. He rights the ship but he always has a bad month or two or he’d have a lot more than one Vezina. This isn’t like a new revelation.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I think Skjei is just trying to do too much. He sees what Pionk is doing and the minutes he is getting and trying to play that same way
The first sentence is likely correct because he was thrust into the 1D role b/c of the McDonagh move.

The second is correct only because Skjei emulating Pionk leads to him playing like shit, because Pionk plays like shit most of the time. Otherwise, no, I very highly doubt Skjei is trying to "play like Pionk."

Pionk on his best day is not as good as Skjei at his average.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
It's a tough choice. Byram could solidify your defense for years and be that #1 D-man the organization lacks.

I like him but he’s a lefty D I don’t think he’s bpa that early and I think Miller is a better prospect right now. I think we’re pretty set on the left side with skjei Miller hajek rykov Lindgren in the system

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Yeah, but were you in high school then? If so, the things you very obviously observed with even the most basic understanding of the game don't count, I guess.

Reactions: NYR2007

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I like him but he’s a lefty D I don’t think he’s bpa that early and I think Miller is a better prospect right now. I think we’re pretty set on the left side with skjei Miller hajek rykov Lindgren in the system
I agree with you here. You can’t pass up some of these forwards like Cozens, Dach, and Podkolzin for Byram.

Reactions: Kovalev27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad