Post-Game Talk: #20 - 11/17/18 | panthers @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG [PGT starts page 33]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
If this team was the 1970s Montreal Canadiens dynasty level the Hank fans would STILL say this. I'm sick of it!! EVERY GOALTENDER MAKES SAVES FOR THE TEAMS THEY PLAY FOR!! It is what they get paid to do.

If this team were the 1970s dynasty, The King would have a few cups for his effort.

A goalie can definitely steal some games, but you swap the flying frenchman for a direct tv to cable butt move, and Dryden wasn’t winning the cup in 2014.

Reactions: bl02

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think the rangers are trying to play a defensive scheme where they are willing to sacrifice volume in order to keep quality down. The layered approach.

And thats fine, as long as you're able to drive chances the other way.

Hasn't always been the case, especially during this run.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Or maybe every other team in the conference has shown a better ability to win in regulation, meaning, just perhaps, there are indeed a lot more teams that are in fact better than the Rangers, so don't be shocked if they end up being one of the worst teams in the league.

I fully expect this team to NOT make the playoffs although they won't be bottom 3 either. I am enjoying their compete level in most of the games and they are not an easy to team to play against. I am happy about the results after the first 20 games considering the roster turnover, number of rookies we have playing, new coach with new systems to learn. This is a transition year but they have still managed a 10-8-2 record at the quarter pole. Yet, all I see every game is "this team didn't deserve to win" and "this team only has so many Row's etc... It's comical actually.

Reactions: haveandare

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Is that why these knuckleheads are so fixated on it?
Pretty much. The idea is that there’s only one way to properly develop your grade A prospects, especially when they’re almost NHL ready- shoving top line minutes down their throat, doesn’t matter as much if it’s NHL or AHL as long as they see a high TOI. If they fail to succeed using that method, then it wouldn’t have worked anyway, and if it does succeed it’s ‘I told you so’.

Reviewing video and working hard in NHL level practice with NHL coaches and competition is tertiary at best compared to throwing them into the fire head first.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The better teams will get better as the year goes on. Teams like Pitt and Wash are half assing it right now. Couple that with two things. Hank will slump he always does even at 26 he always slumps. He’s been the mvp thus far.

And 2 we will trade away players. We dealt 5 guys leading up to the deadline. Most likely will do about the same this year.

I still say we end up bottom 5. We’ll battle as long as we can but eventually we’ll get passed by better teams

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I fully expect this team to NOT make the playoffs although they won't be bottom 3 either. I am enjoying their compete level in most of the games and they are not an easy to team to play against. I am happy about the results after the first 20 games considering the roster turnover, number of rookies we have playing, new coach with new systems to learn. This is a transition year but they have still managed a 10-8-2 record at the quarter pole. Yet, all I see every game is "this team didn't deserve to win" and "this team only has so many Row's etc... It's comical actually.

Oh the horror of honestly assessing how the team is playing.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If they were 20-0-0 you would have something to complain about because you are all about about keeping it real bro.

Oh but they aren't and have shown some glaring flaws even while going on the BEST STREAK EVARR (if we're going to play the hyperbole game.)

Just remember this when they inevitably fall to the end of the pack and keep the sharp objects locked up.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Oh but they aren't and have shown some glaring flaws even while going on the BEST STREAK EVARR (if we're going to play the hyperbole game.)

Just remember this when they inevitably fall to the end of the pack and keep the sharp objects locked up.

I have said MANY times I don't expect this team to make the playoffs but I am happy where they stand right now and the level of play during most games considering the current rebuild. I hope that they continue to win but won't be jumping off any bridges if they do take a dive. You can now get the last post in like you always do. I'm done.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The Rangers should never have lost to Ottawa. That was just piss poor in game coaching. AV should have lost his job for that. Maybe we don’t beat Pitt but we should have been in the Eastern Final again

According to many Fans on here we should have been eliminated in 4 or 5 games against the mighty Claude Julien and his Canadiens.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The chances of getting Hughes or the 2nd overall is probably just as slim if not slimmer than making the playoffs. Lets hope picks 3-12ish are good ones

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I honestly think Quinn’s message for Skjei is to stop trying to be Orr. You don’t have to do everything.
Has to be. Kind of like "keep it simple stupid". And now more than ever, he can. We have to remember who his other regular defenseman were when he first came up.

Starting off with Marc, Dan, and McD and all of them were but a shell of themselves, (McD to a lesser degree) but had the experience. Kevin Klein was good and then there were Holden, Kampfer and Clendening. All older, (even Holden) So they were there in regard to leadership and guidance, and with a little confidence he improved. With the exception of McD, he easily was the fastest. He instantly became the "golden boy" on defense simply because of his age and most Ranger fans were thirsting for someone young and possibly becoming part of the future.
Now whether or not he was better in AV's, (sure seems that way) but might not be the "only reason", but needs to adjust his game if thats the case. Certainly his play has taken a hit, and could be the primary reason for his decline. Maybe its complacency. Maybe it was the "old boys" that were better for him, than what he has around him now and aren't there to help any longer.

Could it be that others around him made him look better, and now others making him look worse?

Think he's simply trying to do it all (like stated by OP) and maybe the success has gotten to his head. (GWG in OT, etc)

Quinnie apparently is tougher than AV on the guys, and some old habits die hard, like he said re-learning is tougher than just learning to do it the right way from the beginning. Wow, if that ain't a shot at AV, then nothing is. Lol.

Sooner or later, there can be no excuses made. He either stays what he has been (not great), which may lead to more benchings........or, find out exactly what Quinnie expects from him, and that my friends, could be as simple as a little k.i.s.s. advice.

Reactions: Svenhart2008

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
They weren’t wrong. Hank was amazing, Price was ass.

They proceeded to lose to a lesser team in 6.

I've never understood this point of view.

Since Hank's emergence, I've gotten a lot of my friend's defending losses by saying "if you never had Lundqvist...".

He counts against the cap just like any other player. It's fine to debate whether we're better off using that money elsewhere, but the fact remains that we spent more money than most of the league on our goaltending; of course he's expected to be a difference-maker!

That was the idea behind signing him to that much money. If we hadn't, then we would have better skaters and, theoretically, would have better metrics and would carry momentum better.

And the (oh so delicious) irony of the Montreal series is that he outplayed the one guy in the league with a higher cap hit.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Since Hank's emergence, I've gotten a lot of my friend's defending losses by saying "if you never had Lundqvist...".

He counts against the cap just like any other player. It's fine to debate whether we're better off using that money elsewhere, but the fact remains that we spent more money than most of the league on our goaltending; of course he's expected to be a difference-maker!

That was the idea behind signing him to that much money. If we hadn't, then we would have better skaters and, theoretically, would have better metrics and would carry momentum better.

And the (oh so delicious) irony of the Montreal series is that he outplayed the one guy in the league with a higher cap hit.

Not at the time

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Pretty much. The idea is that there’s only one way to properly develop your grade A prospects, especially when they’re almost NHL ready- shoving top line minutes down their throat, doesn’t matter as much if it’s NHL or AHL as long as they see a high TOI. If they fail to succeed using that method, then it wouldn’t have worked anyway, and if it does succeed it’s ‘I told you so’.

Reviewing video and working hard in NHL level practice with NHL coaches and competition is tertiary at best compared to throwing them into the fire head first.

I had joked a few times about some of the posters sounding as if the boiled coaching down to "holding down the thumb stick for best lines", so what you said pretty much confirmed a sinking feeling I had about this specific issue and others.

The main exposure to hockey many fans have today is through EA Sports.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
No they weren't wrong, we should have been eliminated in 4 or 5. It didn't happen, but it should have.

He single handedly won that series though. They got slaughtered in pretty much every other facet of the game in that first series outside of goalie suckage, where playoff Price has a leg up on everyone.

I had the Rangers winning that series based on Price crapping the bed. I was dead on with that one.

They lost against a weaker opponent in the next round, I thought we had a cake walk into the ECF... AV f***ed that one up, but Hank wasn't the same either.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The chances of getting Hughes or the 2nd overall is probably just as slim if not slimmer than making the playoffs. Lets hope picks 3-12ish are good ones

Kirby Dach is the guy I have circled. I never get excited about first overall will never happen to this franchise

Reactions: bl02 and jas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad