Post-Game Talk: 2/26/18 | Canucks 1 @ Avs 3

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
How about those Sedins, well mostly Daniel and his 6g 4a in the last 8gp. Henrik has 6a in the last 8gp. Henrik also hasnt scored a goal in 45 games

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If you had MacKinnon switch teams the Canucks would have won the game. Points out the importance of getting that franchise player thru the draft. And every win now lessens the chances of that.

Effort again there but couldn't handle the MacKinnon line.

In spite of the penalties, you have to like the way Virtanen is playing. Now its a matter of getting results. Thought he was our best player on the road trip.

Gudbranson has stepped up his play but we'll see if he can sustain anything. Needs to play it hard to be effective. Been better than Edler of late although that's not saying much. Really hope Edler will relax on his unwillingness to move on.

Hutton continues to look crushed and truly does lack confidence. Play around the his net just isn't good enough. Got forced off the puck all game. He must move the puck quicker to get himself out of trouble and out of those battles along the end boards he can't handle. At this point should start next season in the minors and get his game together.

MacKinnon abused Stecher in this game but he is going to do that to a lot of defensemen. Forwards have to a better job of not letting MacKinnon build up steam thru the neutral zone.

Markstrom is playing very well and for the sake of the tank like to see a little more of Nilsson. Maybe out of the problems this team is going thru they might finally have a bona vide #1 goalie in Markstrom. He has over the last couple of years got the experiences he needs to become a genuine NHL goalie.

Goldobin is turning into a major disappointment. Looks very weak on his skates and on the puck. Brushed aside easily by defenders. Hansen deal which was widely lauded last year seems much less a success than touted by Benningites. Maybe only saving grace is that Hansen has played so poorly in SJ. You have to give Goldobin time and patience is huge. But to date he he has not looked anything like NHL caliber.

Thought Boeser looked better in this one but he continues to take a beating. May have to start standing up for himself. Doesn't look like the team will.

Don't understand the use of Biega in this game. You know you are moving Vanek (as the trade indicates they were willing to take anything) so why not call someone up - like Boucher.

Sedins, even though they are playing only sporadically well, remain the main source of offense. And how depressing is that.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Orcatown, hitting the "like" button on your post (#254) didn't seem sufficient. I really appreciate these summary posts that you do after each game. I always look forward to them.

About Edler - I was surprised that he was playing after the Vegas game. But it's a good bet that Edler plays through injuries a lot these days without Tanev to help with the heavy lifting. I'll admit that I've sometimes wished that Edler would waive his NTC, but I have to give him his due for being the beast of burden on this team.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
In spite of the penalties, you have to like the way Virtanen is playing. Now its a matter of getting results.

Really? So I HAVE to like the way Virtanen is playing, taking THREE terrible penalties and missing the net on at least two golden opportunities to score (I didn't see where he got 2 SOG but the stats insist he did). Change the name to "Gagner" and you would be stoned to death here for saying something so foolish...

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Even if Edler wanted to move do people think management would trade him? He takes the most minutes on an already terrible defense of a team that refuses to rebuild properly. The NTC means dick all of management doesn’t want to move him in the first place and I’ve never seen any indication that they are looking to move him. Our left side on defense is atrocious past Edler and mostly AHL caliber. Something to think about when everyone craps on him for wanting to stay put.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
i changed my name from Hutton

that's why his confidence is gone

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Even if Edler wanted to move do people think management would trade him? He takes the most minutes on an already terrible defense of a team that refuses to rebuild properly. The NTC means dick all of management doesn’t want to move him in the first place and I’ve never seen any indication that they are looking to move him. Our left side on defense is atrocious past Edler and mostly AHL caliber. Something to think about when everyone craps on him for wanting to stay put.

No they don't want to move him that is obvious. It's also the wrong decision. A rebuilding club should be moving a 31 year old D-man that has value. He would have some value around the league especially how he has been playing this year. His offense has come back and his defensive play remains dependable.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
No they don't want to move him that is obvious. It's also the wrong decision. He would have some value around the league especially how he has been playing this year. His offense has come back and his defensive play remains dependable.

I agree that we SHOULD move him but if management doesn't plan on moving him there is literally no reason for fans to crap all over a guy who wants to finish his contract here. If management announces that they are trying to trade him and he refuses to waive then sure, crap away. But they haven't so why trash one of our longest-serving players who actually wants to be here?

If Edler gets traded who replaces him? Pouliot? Hutton? Juolevi? None of those guys are even close to comfortably playing 20+ minutes per game. The only one who has even looked half decent in the NHL for more than a game at a time is Hutton and he's probably the next player traded off this team. Jim can't acquire good defensemen to save his life so no one should be surprised that he doesn't want to trade a minute muncher like Edler away. Linden probably wants to keep him too, having played together here back in the day.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I don't see anyone crapping on Edler. How can you when he's not even asked to waive his NTC? And in the end you have to respect the clause even if he said no. I'd be curious if he didn't waive and question why but that's not crapping on a guy.

Who replaces him? It doesn't matter. No seriosuly it doesn't. It is one of the worst bluelines in the league. The presence of TWO good, competent blueliners in Tanev and Edler doesn't change that and it doesn't keep this team out of the bottom 5. The last 3 years have shown this.

Edler is signed for one more year. His contract does not run to a point where he will actually be helpful in a rebuild.

Tanev is signed for two more years so really you are in the same type of situation. Neither one is actually helping your rebuild.

The only way they do help your rebuild is by using them to acquire picks and true prospects (you know those under 20 guys not the 23 year olds).

Of course this management team isn't rebuilding.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So posters are now saying Goldobin is a 'disappointment'......this is an earth-shattering development?......get ready for Jimbo's other big trade day acquisition of 2016, Jonathan Dahlen, to be stuck in the minors and struggle for a time.....Benning just keeps acquiring 'prospects' from other NHL teams and gets burned almost every time.

There's a reason why trading for another team's fading prospects is a mug's game....they usually get traded because they've been passed by other prospects in their system and are therefore expendable.

Tryforthekingdom

Nov 15, 2015
There's a reason why trading for another team's fading prospects is a mug's game....they usually get traded because they've been passed by other prospects in their system and are therefore expendable.
I've been trying to think of a reclamation type player league wide that has turned into an impact player for the acquiring team, so far I have nothing. Obviously there are prospects who have been traded who have gone on to success, but generally they've been dealt as a way to improve a contending team, rather than being jettisoned because the original drafting team has lost faith.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I've been trying to think of a reclamation type player league wide that has turned into an impact player for the acquiring team, so far I have nothing. Obviously there are prospects who have been traded who have gone on to success, but generally they've been dealt as a way to improve a contending team, rather than being jettisoned because the original drafting team has lost faith.

Michael Grabner :rolleyes:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I mean Vegas kind of proved that it could work if executed properly. Jim Benning just has the worst eye for pro talent in the NHL which is why pretty much all of his age gap crap has flunked.

Tryforthekingdom

Nov 15, 2015
I mean Vegas kind of proved that it could work if executed properly. Jim Benning just has the worst eye for pro talent in the NHL which is why pretty much all of his age gap crap has flunked.
Well, most of those guys would not have been available but for the expansion draft. I'm thinking more of the older prospects who have not yet established themselves as NHLers getting fresh starts with other teams who think there might be untapped potential. Grabner is okay as an example, for the Isles I guess, but still not much of an impact player.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Well, most of those guys would not have been available but for the expansion draft. I'm thinking more of the older prospects who have not yet established themselves as NHLers getting fresh starts with other teams who think there might be untapped potential. Grabner is okay as an example, for the Isles I guess, but still not much of an impact player.
Oh yeah, I agree. I was more so talking about “reclamation projects”. I think the analytics community could see that a guy like Marchassault was going to be a good player from a mile away, same with someone like Matthieu Perrault after Anaheim didn’t qualify him.

Gillis made some similar moves as he saw Samuelsson was buried in the Detroit organization and believed more ice time and offensive opportunity would make him a better player and he became a 30 goal scorer. Richardson was a 13th forward for LA and came here and gave us quality minutes as a 3rd line center.

But yeah as per prospects, why would quality organizations trade players they believe can make an impact for draft picks when they’re contending? It’s kind of like the Patriots effect, if the Patriots are trading a player away for draft picks you know they are red flags with the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad