Post-Game Talk: 2/26/18 | Canucks 1 @ Avs 3

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
My gawd that Canucks blueline is just awful.....the game is just too fast for them......Edler is morphing into the second coming of Dana Murzyn before our eyes.....the problem is that they just can't skate.....even guys like Stecher and Hutton have a poor first stride....they just can't gain any separation and end having to dump the puck before they're really ready.

I have absolutely no idea how this team can possibly expect to be improved next season.....other than Juolevi, there's absolutely nothing in the blueline pipeline.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
My gawd that Canucks blueline is just awful.....the game is just too fast for them......Edler is morphing into the second coming of Dana Murzyn before our eyes.....the problem is that they just can't skate.....even guys like Stecher and Hutton have a poor first stride....they just can't gain any separation and end having to dump the puck before they're really ready.

I have absolutely no idea how this team can possibly expect to be improved next season.....other than Juolevi, there's absolutely nothing in the blueline pipeline.

WRONG. JB says the D is a position of strength.

MisfortuneCookie

Replace Benning with a potato.
Jan 25, 2018
Because he won't wave the nmc

We deserve him, lazy, underachieving loser who is simply satisfied being a top player on a really bad team.

Yeah, one of the 'leaders' of this 'culture' they talk about so much. A great 'mentor' for the youth: No passion whatsoever, no desire to win, does not care about the cup, happy to cash his paycheque and dodge the press (who don't want to talk to him anyway - he made sure his interviews were so bland and tiresome that they care as little as he does), has no second gear - what you see is what you get.

Part of the "never change the way you play" style that has given this core their legacy of losing. Too bad they lucked out against Chicago. Given how they collapsed, we should have had even more to be embarrassed about after they "didn't change the way they played" for three straight losses into a game 7 overtime.

Sorry 'leadership group', there's nothing admirable about leading a team to 29th place finishes and first round collapses. Good teams know when to turn it up, how to find that extra gear, when to pounce and deliver the killing blow when there's blood in the water. That's not the Canucks, it never has been. Their sports psychologist reads "The Turtle and the Hare" to them before nap time, and reminds them all how much more important everything else in life is, and that hockey is only a game. Come to Vancouver, the retirement country club for Jimbo's reclamation projects and complacent veterans that wouldn't waive their NTC to play on Crosby's wing. No fire.

I'm sick of hearing Green talk about how everyone has to "earn everything", and that's "how it is for everyone." He states it like it's self-evident, while gifting Eriksson 18 minutes a night. I guess he "earned it" when him and his agent took Benning (and us) behind the wood shed for 6x6. In this culture that counts for a lot. Come lounge with team Sweden.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Man the difference a year can make. Last year MacKinnon looked dejected. This year he's elevating his game playing meaningful hockey.

There is not a player in the NHL I enjoy watching more this year. He is electrifying.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Malholtra had a NTC/NMC?
Oh yeah, Hamhuis had one

A lot of those are pretty automatic, though. Guys like the Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Luongo, are all pretty much assumed. Hamhuis is also an automatic as a high-end UFA.

Reactions: PM

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Maybe because he had no prospects coming up the pipeline? No one pushing for roster spots? I dunno, just guessing here.

Still not seeing the connection to an NMC. Can someone write the entire idea out instead of dropping vague bread crumbs?

Like the obvious and likely correct answer is he used the NTCs to extract lower cap hits from the players and thus could fit an elite roster under a cap that was lower than it is today. Since the team was competing for a cup and every dollar mattered, NTCs were a means to this end.

Now if someone wants to tell me he handed them out because he was a poor drafter or something, I guess I’ll listen to your theory. Just try to spell it out in a way that makes some sense.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Yeah, one of the 'leaders' of this 'culture' they talk about so much. A great 'mentor' for the youth: No passion whatsoever, no desire to win, does not care about the cup, happy to cash his paycheque and dodge the press (who don't want to talk to him anyway - he made sure his interviews were so bland and tiresome that they care as little as he does), has no second gear - what you see is what you get.

Even if you don't agree that Edler is a fine 2nd pairing D, this statement is nonsense. He has always sounded like he doesn't give a shit but he played his heart out through injuries during our playoff runs.
He's just a super introverted guy.

Reactions: Nomobo

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Still not seeing the connection to an NMC. Can someone write the entire idea out instead of dropping vague bread crumbs?

Like the obvious and likely correct answer is he used the NTCs to extract lower cap hits from the players and thus could fit an elite roster under a cap that was lower than it is today. Since the team was competing for a cup and every dollar mattered, NTCs were a means to this end.

Now if someone wants to tell me he handed them out because he was a poor drafter or something, I guess I’ll listen to your theory. Just try to spell it out in a way that makes some sense.

I don't know if you realize this but you can also get under the cap by bringing in players on ELC contracts....just saying.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Maybe because he had no prospects coming up the pipeline? No one pushing for roster spots? I dunno, just guessing here.

Every player of any quality ends up getting an NTC when they hit their UFA years and every contending team ends up with a pile of them as they try and extend their window. Look at teams like Chicago and Boston right now.

People who don't understand this are stuck in a Vancouver bubble and don't understand the league as a whole.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I don't know if you realize this but you can also get under the cap by bringing in players on ELC contracts....just saying.

I’m aware but that’s not “why” Gillis would be handing them out. I mean he could have just paid players more money and not tried as hard to compete for a cup. The decision to compete was the “why”.

Reactions: geebaan

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Man why did we give him a NMC? LOL.

His signing at the time was an absolute steal and pretty much all good UFA players of his calibre get a NTC these days. Some of you have such short memories it's mind boggling. You must forget your car keys everywhere.

Reactions: MS

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I’m aware but that’s not “why” Gillis would be handing them out. I mean he could have just paid players more money and not tried as hard to compete for a cup. The decision to compete was the “why”.

Ok but if you have prospects coming up there may not be that need the give NTC's or high priced contracts to some of those players and still compete. But to be fair, those were peak Sedin years and there had to have been pressure on Gillis to go for it.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
His signing at the time was an absolute steal and pretty much all good UFA players of his calibre get a NTC these days. Some of you have such short memories it's mind boggling. You must forget your car keys everywhere.

They are in my pocket :D

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Yeah a lot of those signings were actual examples of "it seemed like a good idea at the time". Because it WAS a good idea at the time.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Every player of any quality ends up getting an NTC when they hit their UFA years and every contending team ends up with a pile of them as they try and extend their window. Look at teams like Chicago and Boston right now.

People who don't understand this are stuck in a Vancouver bubble and don't understand the league as a whole.
A lot of Canucks fans clearly don’t pay attention to rest of the NHL. Look how badly this fan base overrates it’s prospects and pretends that theyre the only team in the NHL with good amateur players.

Look at the guys we acquired today Leipsic was a similar junior producer to Kole Lind and Motte was a similar producer to Gaudette. These players are far from a guarantee to translating to good pro players.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Too bad you can't see posts from the old Edler signing thread. We had fans from pretty much every team in the league saying it was a fantastic deal. And bitching about Hamhuis (one of the top ****ing UFA signing of that year) getting one shows how little you actually understand the league. Without one you don't get him, end of story.

Sedins, Luongo, Kesler, Edler are all automatic NTC to get re-signed, especially by a Canadian team. Only warm sunny American cities with no tax and no media can get away with that shit.

The bubble some people view the league in is absolutely astounding. It's embarrassing that anyone who spends so much time on HFBoards doesn't even realize what's happening outside this city. It takes an extreme level of wilful ignorance to not realize this shit. It's super simple stuff, doesn't take a fancy degree or anything. Just some basic reading skills and the will to actually learn something.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Ok but if you have prospects coming up there may not be that need the give NTC's or high priced contracts to some of those players and still compete. But to be fair, those were peak Sedin years and there had to have been pressure on Gillis to go for it.

Sure but he took over in 2008 and the team was already flush with young players drafted in 2003 (Kesler), 2004 (Schneider, Edler, Hansen), and 2005 (Raymond). How many picks from his oldest draft (2008) were likely to find spots on a Cup contending team in 2009 (age 19), 2010 (age 20) or 2011 (age 21)? Hodgson progressed pretty well and he didn’t make it until 2011-12. So I don’t think Gillis’ poor drafting - and I agree it was poor - had any impact on all the contracts and NTCs signed in the peak years of 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011. Maybe by 2012 and 2013 it was starting to be a factor but how many of the NTCs were signed that late in his regime? Probably not many I’d guess.

Reactions: PM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad