GDT: 2/25/24 - 1:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ New Jersey

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
MacKinnon & McDavid have the Canadian bias and McDavid and Matthews have the Canadian teams bias. Sad that it will definitely affect the Hart vote
Just looked at the stats, McD has played 6 fewer games than Kuch and is 13 pts back. He's only 7 back of Mac also with a 6 game cushion. He definitely catches Mac and Kuch is gonna have to keep up the pace to hold off McD. It shouldn't be that way but I think Kuch will have to win the Ross in order to get the Hart.

And then of course, if Matthews gets to 70, it may not matter how many points Kuch gets.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The contract thing is 100% bothering Stamkos and it wouldn't shock me if its having an effect on the rest of the team.
Please take my word for it that I'm not big dogging. But I've been saying this for months. If Stamkos and team alike are not severely distracted then we need to be alarmed about both our team and the coaching it has been getting

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
The contract thing is 100% bothering Stamkos and it wouldn't shock me if its having an effect on the rest of the team.
I feel for Stammer, I really do. But not on the money side of things. He's made $100M over the course of his career and that's damn good no matter who you are. No, he realizes that he's pretty much a one trick PP pony at this point and that his 5x5 play is hurting the team (though not for lack of effort). In short, he knows that he can't play at an elite level any more, or anything close to it. That is a bitter pill to swallow for any player, let alone a future HOFer still this side of 35. I remember very clearly when he said in some interview after he returned from his back to back core injuries in '20 and '21 that he would "never be 100% again" but had learned to adapt to his limitations.

Whenever situations like this come up I think of Mickey Mantle retiring at 37. He played his last two seasons and batted .245 and .237 to bring his lifetime BA under .300. He always said how much he regretted playing those last two seasons because he felt it tarnished his legacy.

I hope the Bolts and Stammer can find some common ground and a way to make him happy. But, as much as I feel for him, none of that can happen at the expense of the team. And I think you're right, there are probably some very mixed emotions in the locker room, like, 'he's Stammer and he's our captain and we love him, but he's hurting us right now'. That's tough to deal with.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If you have Vasy, Kuch, Heddy, Cernak, Bagel, Point and even Celery with BDN, you're a buyer.

Playoff rentals with no obligation for next season are fine with me. Trade what you can afford to and get one more cup with everyone still in their prime.
Agreed, rentals that aren't extremely expensive which can bolster depth should be appealing. If JBB can get Hanifin with an extension or other impact players with term or extensions secured, then that's also a viable strategy imo.

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
Isn’t it more likely Stamkos is just being dragged down 5-5 by do-nothing Sheary? I’m not saying Stamkos’ 5-5 play hasn’t slipped noticeably, but everytime Coop blends the lines it seems to me that he’s trying desperately to find a second scoring line. Look at today’s game. Sheary didn’t pass to stammer on an odd-man rush, instead choosing to go backwards to a greenhorn rookie defenseman.

Age is catching up to stamkos for certain but don’t underestimate the impact Sheary is having. He’s getting his stench on everyone he plays with

aylib

Mods are lame
Mar 26, 2002
St. Pete, FL
Isn’t it more likely Stamkos is just being dragged down 5-5 by do-nothing Sheary? I’m not saying Stamkos’ 5-5 play hasn’t slipped noticeably, but everytime Coop blends the lines it seems to me that he’s trying desperately to find a second scoring line. Look at today’s game. Sheary didn’t pass to stammer on an odd-man rush, instead choosing to go backwards to a greenhorn rookie defenseman.

Age is catching up to stamkos for certain but don’t underestimate the impact Sheary is having. He’s getting his stench on everyone he plays with
I think this season Stamkos played most minutes with Kuch and Point and then Cirelli and Paul, this new Sheary-Paul-Stamkos combo is very new.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
It would be amazing if they went after sooner that can put the puck in the net for once.

I think the closest we came to someone like that in recent memory was Coleman. But he was more of a tweener.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Great win today.

I don't want certain posters to think some of us only post during the bad.

I went to Mom's to watch the game. Made wings and we had a blast.

She's weird about being on the phone when spending time with HER...lol.

great game. Kuch is an all time great. Go Bolts!

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Did Stamkos even play today? That is my point about him anymore. He was never really noticeable on the ice to me.
He had a couple nice rushes with the puck on his stick, fell down a couple times, didn't get all of a shot on the PP that should have a patented Stamkos one T goal, and then Sheary decided to not pass to him twice on separate 2v1s.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Players generally perform better in contract years, if you want to say the pressure is getting to him because of it then it's another good reason not to re-sign him.

Reactions: Antiramie

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009
He's a Russian Wingers up against 3 canadian centers lol.
I agree, there will be barely a peep about him.

Just looked at the stats, McD has played 6 fewer games than Kuch and is 13 pts back. He's only 7 back of Mac also with a 6 game cushion. He definitely catches Mac and Kuch is gonna have to keep up the pace to hold off McD. It shouldn't be that way but I think Kuch will have to win the Ross in order to get the Hart.

And then of course, if Matthews gets to 70, it may not matter how many points Kuch gets.
McD is flying up behind- I'm worried he's going to catch and surpass as well.

Reactions: Bartleby

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Because he leans forward so far. Lol. Reminds me of Kessel in that regard. Totally hunched over and exposed to getting annihilated yet somehow he avoids massive hits or rolls off them.
When he first arrived I was really caught off guard by his skating style but quickly warmed to it once I saw how he puts it to use.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

McDavid missed 2 games earlier in the season, thus he only has a 4 game cushion.

Reactions: Bartleby

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
The problem is Stamkos needs a set up winger, but we don't have any other top 6 playmaker since they're all on line 1. Cirelli and Stamkos has just never clicked. Cirelli should be scoring for what he's paid, but he just doesn't have that in his game, he puts up okay numbers. Realistically a line of Ace - Cirelli - Paul would be a good shutdown 3rd line. But then we have no one else for the 2nd line, which puts Stamkos in no man's land, hense the drop in his numbers. But it could also be he's not quite as engaged this year due to the contract stuff

I wonder if Hagel and Stamkos could work together, Stamkos' revolving door of lineages doesn't help build chemistry

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
The problem is Stamkos needs a set up winger, but we don't have any other top 6 playmaker since they're all on line 1. Cirelli and Stamkos has just never clicked. Cirelli should be scoring for what he's paid, but he just doesn't have that in his game, he puts up okay numbers. Realistically a line of Ace - Cirelli - Paul would be a good shutdown 3rd line. But then we have no one else for the 2nd line, which puts Stamkos in no man's land, hense the drop in his numbers. But it could also be he's not quite as engaged this year due to the contract stuff

I wonder if Hagel and Stamkos could work together, Stamkos' revolving door of lineages doesn't help build chemistry
Duke with Stamkos on the 3rd line once Duke signs, Sheary becomes 12th F or healthy scratch.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Players generally perform better in contract years, if you want to say the pressure is getting to him because of it then it's another good reason not to re-sign him.

This. The excuse making for Stamkos is f***ing absurd. The guy hasn't been an $8.5M player for awhile now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad