GDT: 2/22/24 - 7:00PM EDT - Washington vs Tampa Bay

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
They should not flat out buy. If BriseBois wants to make shake up the dressing room hockey trades and replace guys on this roster with capable players, that is alright. But wasting picks for this soft, weak minded, no depth, terrible defensive team is not the move

Trade him to Carolina for Scott Morrow, Jackson Blake, and a 2nd
Smart buying is still the correct play, yes. The fact is that they don't have anyone to sell unless they are entering g full rebuild, which they are not. Unless JBB convinces Stamkos to waive his nmc(which would take quite the 180.from Stamkos), then he's not being moved either. It's a rough 3 game stretch, but it's far from season over or let's sell mode. The picks they still have won't help this core until it's too late if they are banking on the drafted players, so the best path forward remains to utilize some of the remaining futures to bolster roster depth, ideally with players that JBB can likely re-sign if they're ufa/rfa, or players with term. The team needs a jolt, and there's only so much 1-2 Syracuse call ups are going to do. I still don't think JBB has given up on thos season, and given Tampa's overall current position, selling or doing nothing just signals they've entirely given up on the season.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Smart buying is still the correct play, yes. The fact is that they don't have anyone to sell unless they are entering g full rebuild, which they are not. Unless JBB convinces Stamkos to waive his nmc(which would take quite the 180.from Stamkos), then he's not being moved either. It's a rough 3 game stretch, but it's far from season over or let's sell mode. The picks they still have won't help this core until it's too late if they are banking on the drafted players, so the best path forward remains to utilize some of the remaining futures to bolster roster depth, ideally with players that JBB can likely re-sign if they're ufa/rfa, or players with term. The team needs a jolt, and there's only so much 1-2 Syracuse call ups are going to do. I still don't think JBB has given up on thos season, and given Tampa's overall current position, selling or doing nothing just signals they've entirely given up on the season.
They're nowhere close to a Cup anymore due to the shitty defense, average goaltending, and poor bottom 6 play. I would waive Sheary, bring up Goncalves, trade another forward, sign Duke and give him games to end the season once Michigan is done.

Reactions: Outl4w

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
They're nowhere close to a Cup anymore due to the shitty defense, average goaltending, and poor bottom 6 play. I would waive Sheary, bring up Goncalves, trade another forward, sign Duke and give him games to end the season once Michigan is done.
There are no forwards to trade, aside from perhaps Motte, Eyssimont, Jeannot, or Glendening. Everyone else is locked in and going to be with the team a while. The defense can be addressed via trade in a myriad of ways, and as far as Vasy, he was playing great leading up to the break and until this 3 game stretch. Since they aren't moving him of course, they have to hope he regains that form again. Some quality depth blueline adds would also help him.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
He was also never able to get this team over the hump.
Yeah, he made a couple of nice trades, but I highly doubt he would've gambled like JBB did with the Coleman, Goodrow, and Hagel trades. Even.with all his high picks and moves so far in Detroit, they've done nothing since he's been there, and at best are a 1st round exit team this year.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Yeah, he made a couple of nice trades, but I highly doubt he would've gambled like JBB did with the Coleman, Goodrow, and Hagel trades. Even.with all his high picks and moves so far in Detroit, they've done nothing since he's been there, and at best are a 1st round exit team this year.
He had to clean up Holland's mess. Yzerman has made the Wings better every year the past 3 years, got rid of Blashill (LOL), brought in Lalonde, and made nice additions to the roster this past offseason.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Pretty apparent that Yzerman can build a roster wherever, as he's doing quite well in Detroit with a depth approach. BriseBois hands out albatross overpayments to many and then fills cap casualties with shitty "depth".
detroit is overperforming like hell. sure yzerman built a below average team that gets carried by elite goaltending from alex lyon(?) just like he drew it up

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
He had to clean up Holland's mess. Yzerman has made the Wings better every year the past 3 years, got rid of Blashill (LOL), brought in Lalonde, and made nice additions to the roster this past offseason.
He's had a couple of good signings with Comphwr and Sprong, a couple where the player basically wanted Detroit(DeBrincat trade and then sign, Kane), and a couple of meh signings in Copp, Holl,
and Chiarot. They've improved some sure, but when you have top 5 or 10 draft picks most years, one would hope you would. They still haven't made the playoffs and they have some dead weight on that roster as well. They have a strong prospect pool because of the high picks and some solid drafting, and they may get there, but they are still at least a couple of years away imo.from being real contenders.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Y'all have a good night. Hugs your loved ones.

We(me more than most) all get emotional.

It's just a game. Go Bolts!

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
All I know is that every year Yzerman was here we churned out star player, after strar player, and as soon as he left that well of talent dried up. Now we have guys like Sheary and ABB who add nothing when we used to have guys like Cirelli, Verhague, March, etc.

Having said that, I have no clue wtf he is doing in Detroit. Trading Hronek away and then trading for Debrincat just makes no sense.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
All I know is that every year Yzerman was here we churned out star player, after strar player, and as soon as he left that well of talent dried up. Now we have guys like Sheary and ABB who add nothing when we used to have guys like Cirelli, Verhague, March, etc.

Having said that, I have no clue wtf he is doing in Detroit. Trading Hronek away and then trading for Debrincat just makes no sense.

Do people realize that JBB inherited a contender with the purpose to win? Yzerman came into a team that had missed the playoffs 3 years in a row and inherited Killorn, Stamkos and Hedman from those years, he had time and resources to build a farm, their short term goals were significantly different. Not sure how anyone can judge JBB on drafting and rebuilding when he hasn't been through that cycle yet.

Lots of the lost talent on Tampa can be attributed to the cap and being an extremely deep team during the time, Yzerman trading Hronek is a complete managerial fumble.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

CHARLIE LINDGREN makes 1.1 million per year and right now he’s a better goalie then Vasy​

Vasy has a 2.94 GAA and a 89.8 save percentage it’s a miracle we are even sitting in a playoff spot

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Yzerman was at the head, but I think it's important to remember he assembled the best staff around him.

Go back to 2015 and you have Tod Leiweke and Steve Griggs together. And it was Yzerman who lured Leiweke away from Paul Allen in Seattle. And then Yzerman's assistants are Tom Kurvers, Verbeek, and JBB. That's like 4 NHL general managers in the room right there. Stacy Roest is Yzerman's Dir. of Player Development. And lastly Al Murray's scouting staff consists of Plandowski (Arizona Director of Amateur Scouting), Jamie Pushor (Tampa Asst. General Manager/ Director of Player Personnel), John Rosso (Tampa Director of Amateur Scouting), and Brad Whelen (Tampa Asst. Director of Amateur Scouting).

That's a little dream team. So give Yzerman all the credit for what he did here, but he didn't do it alone. And unfortunately (for us) with great success a lot of these guys that helped make us a powerhouse got to advance their own careers and move on from here.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Stammer has a full NMC.

If he's getting traded, I don't think the Lightning are winning the cup this season. Too much emotional damage.
I don’t know man, more than half of our roster players haven’t played more than 50 games with Stamkos and hardly know him. For emotional reasons I was against trading and moving on from him too.

But it’s getting more and more apparent to me that we have to: It’s our last chance to get value for him before his contract runs out and other teams realize that his best days are unfortunately behind him.

Besides obviously on the powerplay he doesn’t really fit anywhere in our dysfunctional lineup. But he’d give us the chance to make it a functional one. I’m not saying it’s gonna work but it’s better than to sit tight and lose him in free agency.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
You can't have big losing streaks when the playoff race is so close. They had three games at home and two of those were against pretty bad teams. This can easily stretch to five games before the week is over with the back to back coming up.

No consistency, no defense, no goaltending. There so much cap wasted on guys not performing.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I mean, we all knew this was coming. I think what makes it sting even more is seeing Kuch on an absolute tear keeping us in it like 2016-2017 only to fall short. It's probably going to happen again.

Our defense is just a shitshow and a half. Hedman is Hedman. I just can't blame the guy when he's leading a group of dingalings out there every night. Cernak got a tummyache, Lilleberg has poor lateral movement and pivots like hitting he's hitting bananas in Mario Kart. Raddysh is fine. CDH is what he is. Whoever else is on the team is so forgettable idgaf right now.

Our forwards are just as shambolic. Sheary made an NHL pass tonight then twirlybirds the rest of the night on the forecheck. Stamkos stick handling and on the half wall is like watching a U18A player out there trying to impress his girl in the stands. Cirelli, great selke defending on that first goal. Hot damn, give that man 9M! The bottom six is a tire f***ing fire.

Kucherov and Hagel play their hearts out every f***ing night. Someone should've filled in for Raddysh on the 3 on 1 goal Mantha scored and given your center should be paying attention, I blame Point. His defensive coverage is dog dick since the AS break. That's a guy that led a line in 2018 against Boston and outplayed Bergeron and Marchand 5v5. Wake the f*** up.

Not sure there's a team left we can beat playing like this. And for God's sake Vasy, I love you man, but please brother...

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
These three losses obviously sucks and the timing is really bad, as pointed out, two of them were definitely games we should have won...

..but I'm not going to give up on the season, we all knew there would be a risk of missing the playoffs, as we don't have the consistency of previous seasons. I think we also know that if we manage to sneak into the playoffs, we can do some damage.

So for me it's about supporting and hoping, as we are still in the fight of a playoff spot, while post-season is the dreaded time for evaluation!

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Do people realize that JBB inherited a contender with the purpose to win? Yzerman came into a team that had missed the playoffs 3 years in a row and inherited Killorn, Stamkos and Hedman from those years, he had time and resources to build a farm, their short term goals were significantly different. Not sure how anyone can judge JBB on drafting and rebuilding when he hasn't been through that cycle yet.

Lots of the lost talent on Tampa can be attributed to the cap and being an extremely deep team during the time, Yzerman trading Hronek is a complete managerial fumble.

Hedman and Stamkos aside, 90% of our core pieces were drafted and developed in quick succession and most of those were players not drafted in the first round.

How does our pipeline go from Niagara Falls to a leaky faucet? One has to assume we just got really really really lucky drafting, because we haven’t come even close to that level of development success since

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
If memory serves me right, we always suck in the ides of march too, so I’m glad we dont have as many games on the schedule as usual.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Hedman and Stamkos aside, 90% of our core pieces were drafted and developed in quick succession and most of those were players not drafted in the first round.

How does our pipeline go from Niagara Falls to a leaky faucet? One has to assume we just got really really really lucky drafting, because we haven’t come even close to that level of development success since
Okay, lucky or just bad or both? Good question. Lightning draft picks that stayed with the org and became regulars / core players for the Cup runs and after:

2007 3rd round: Killorn (77th)
2008 1st round: Stamkos (1st)
2009 1st round: Hedman (2nd)
2011 2nd round: Kucherov (58th)
2011 7th round: Palat (208th)
2012 1st round: Vasilevskiy (19th)
2014 3rd round: Point (79th)
2015 3rd round: Cirelli (72th)
2017 6th round: Perbix (169th)

All other relevant pieces were acquired via trade or FA signing. And the other picks have been total busts and/or were shipped out in trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad