GDT: 2/17/24 - 5:00PM EDT - Florida vs Tampa Bay

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
None of those players move the needle. It's cosmetic at best. You think adding any of those players make us a cup contender?

Seriously? Is it possible you're in denial a bit?
Coleman, Goodrow, many were skeptical of Savard and Hagel as well. Most of the names that Tampa is being linked to provide much needed depth at positions of varying weakness. Adding key contributors, especially some who could be re-signed, gives Tampa exactly what they need-quality depth to assist their core. Not in denial at all. Selling or standing pat as the approach, thereby signaling that JBB and the staff have given up on a year of thelr main window is a loser mentality and thankfully, not one they have.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Yes, and in games we don't lose, we're undefeated!

If you don't work in politics, the law or in the selling of snake oil, you missed your calling.
3-3 is a laughably small sample size to try and make some point that they haven't been playing well. How about, 11-4 last 15, 17-9 last 26, or 20-10 last 30. Or the fact that they have a top 3 or 4 points % since mid December.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
You picked "since the all star break", your words, and then when that period of time was found to be not quite as "trending" as you thought, you decided that the first two didn't count. If that ain't cherry picking, I don't know what is.

Naw, I think everyone would agree that we've recently been on the upswing, our playoff chances have significantly improved over the last month or so to like 70%. Why are you grilling the man over trying to assign a more concrete time period?

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
None of those players move the needle. It's cosmetic at best. You think adding any of those players make us a cup contender?

Seriously? Is it possible you're in denial a bit?

There are only a hand full of teams that are cup contenders, and we aren't one of them. I think that means we need to hold onto our assets the best we can and look for cheap/marginal upgrades when possible, wouldn't you agree?

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Naw, I think everyone would agree that we've recently been on the upswing, our playoff chances have significantly improved over the last month or so to like 70%. Why are you grilling the man over trying to assign a more concrete time period?
I never argued that our playoff chances haven't improved, In fact, I acknowledged that we are probably a playoff team. Look it up. But whether were a playoff team or not, we are not a Cup contending team no matter deal JBB can make given what he has to work with and we should not be buyers.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I never argued that our playoff chances haven't improved, In fact, I acknowledged that we are probably a playoff team. Look it up. But whether were a playoff team or not, we are not a Cup contending team no matter deal JBB can make given what he has to work with and we should not be buyers.

My bad, I guess I missed that bit in the long back and forth you two had. Agreed, if we do any shopping at the deadline at all it needs to be at the thrift store. I think we can still find upgrades out there though for cheap, and we should. Our days of cherry picking players and throwing away 1sts are long gone though.

Powerplay17

Feb 13, 2018
Tampa
The board appears to be splitting into to two camps:

A. Continue to leverage future assets for help to prop open the Cup window
B. Cup window is closed so why continue to leverage the future when a roster reset is more prudent.

As a well entrenched camp B guy, none of the arguments for taking A have been compelling enough to reconsider.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
There are only a hand full of teams that are cup contenders, and we aren't one of them. I think that means we need to hold onto our assets the best we can and look for cheap/marginal upgrades when possible, wouldn't you agree?
Not necessarily. If we get to the trade deadline and are still just a marginal playoff team, I wouldn't mind seeing some selling. And if we shit the bed between now and then, then I'd even be having a talk with Stammer. If JBB decides not to resign him or makes him an offer that he just can't accept, to lose him for nothing will be a horrible mistake. This can still go lots of ways.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Yes. As long as we aren't giving up our 1st and/or Howard. 100%

Duclair is basically Sheary pt 2

Forsberg and Vlad are pipe dreams and would cost too much.

I'm not even saying blow it up. I'm saying hold off and reset for next yr for one last hoorah.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
it’s a bit of a problem that there’s two teams in our division we just don’t know how to play against. guess we just hope we don’t meet in the playoffs somehow. if we could just play every series against boston i’d be happy

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Screen Shot 02-17-24 at 09.57 PM.JPG

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Not necessarily. If we get to the trade deadline and are still just a marginal playoff team, I wouldn't mind seeing some selling. And if we shit the bed between now and then, then I'd even be having a talk with Stammer. If JBB decides not to resign him or makes him an offer that he just can't accept, to lose him for nothing will be a horrible mistake. This can still go lots of ways.

Without our 1st or 2nd pick I am 100% against selling. I would rather lose a race to get into the playoffs. We'd have to lose every game from now until the trade deadline and have zero hope of making it.

Even if we lost every game from now until the deadline thought I don't think we'd see Stamkos moved.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yes. As long as we aren't giving up our 1st and/or Howard. 100%

Duclair is basically Sheary pt 2

Forsberg and Vlad are pipe dreams and would cost too much.

I'm not even saying blow it up. I'm saying hold off and reset for next yr for one last hoorah.

I'm where you're at

For the record, February 18th 2011 the Lightning looked like they had a shot at making the playoffs and traded two nothing pieces ( 3rd round pick Brock Buekeboom *bust*, and a third round pick in 2011) for Eric Brewer. Brewer completely solidified our defense and was a beast, we made it all the way to the ECF game 7.

That Lightning team had like 2 more wins than the Lightning have right now at the same point in the year.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
2021 bolts>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>this version
I was just answering your question with a statement of fact, not opinion on how good the team is.

This was the Saturday Night Massacre, the night the rest of the league knew for sure that the Bolts were no longer a real threat.
Talk about melodramatic. Pretty sure nobody really puts that much weight into one fluke game. More likely the rest of the league noticed our poor form throughout the first half of this season and have already realized we aren't so tough.

Reactions: Master P

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Without our 1st or 2nd pick I am 100% against selling. I would rather lose a race to get into the playoffs. We'd have to lose every game from now until the trade deadline and have zero hope of making it.

Even if we lost every game from now until the deadline thought I don't think we'd see Stamkos moved.
I don't understand your thinking. You have already said that we are not a real contending team but you don't want to sell even if we play poorly. That doesn't make sense to me. As for Stamkos, I don't think he'll be moved either, which will be a mistake, again, if we play poorly in the next three weeks.

Everyone needs to learn the lesson of Las Vegas. They are ruthless with regard to roster moves and they don't get caught up in sentimentality which is one of the main reasons they have become one of the best franchises in the league in six short years. Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward and sometimes you have to get rid of people who have served you well. The cap is hell but it is the law of the land.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
The board appears to be splitting into to two camps:

A. Continue to leverage future assets for help to prop open the Cup window
B. Cup window is closed so why continue to leverage the future when a roster reset is more prudent.

As a well entrenched camp B guy, none of the arguments for taking A have been compelling enough to reconsider.
And as a Camp A person, nothing I've seen from camp B ppl has changed my or I would guess, many of those in camp A.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
I was just answering your question with a statement of fact, not opinion on how good the team is.

Talk about melodramatic. Pretty sure nobody really puts that much weight into one fluke game. More likely the rest of the league noticed our poor form throughout the first half of this season and have already realized we aren't so tough.
So on the one hand you think this was just another loss, a fluke, no big deal? But then in the next sentence you make my point for me. Yes, the league has seen this coming and tonight was the game that cements that thinking which was the point of my post. We're not scaring anybody anymore.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I don't understand your thinking. You have already said that we are not a real contending team but you don't want to sell even if we play poorly. That doesn't make sense to me. As for Stamkos, I don't think he'll be moved either, which will be a mistake, again, if we play poorly in the next three weeks.

I don't understand yours, why would you give up on a team with a decent shot at making the postseason? Lesser teams have gone to the cup finals, and we aren't going to be a real contender again until after a rebuild, so why are we kicking the can down the road?

The opportunity cost of selling off our players doesn't make sense without our picks, a major incentive of teams to sell this time of year is to quietly entrench their position in the draft and increase their chances of getting a corner stone type prospect.

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
The only entity worse than Lightning and refs tonight was Bally's. They cut the feed with about 5 minutes to go. Anybody have a clip of whatever happened at 16min mark where like 20 guys got a game misconduct. Was this another everybody on the ice gets a misconduct call? Or is the ESPN box score making shit up?

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If you make the playoffs, you have a chance. A team like Tampa, especially with the way they have been playing the last couple months, certainly has what it takes to make a run. JBB is certainly not going to do nothing or sell assets when they have the opportunity with this core to still go for another title. He shouldn't sacrifice a bunch of futures for players that they know can't be re-signed, but their are plenty of quality depth additions available that can be acquired and then re-signed(which, aside from Tampa's rumored interest in Hanifin and/or Tanev, neither of whom I think they are likely to win the bidding war for, are the types Tampa is usually linked to).

Last edited:

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
If you make the playoffs, you have a chance. A team like Tampa, especially with the way they have been playing the last couple months, certainly has what it takes to make a run. JBB is certainly not going to do nothing or sell assets when they have the opportunity with this core to still go for another title. He shouldn't sacrifice a bunch of futures for players that they know can't be re-signed, but their are plenty of quality depth additions available that can be acquired and then re-signed(which, aside from Tampa's rumored interest in Hanifin and/or Tanev, neither of whom I think they are likely to win the bidding war for, are the types Tampa is usually linked to).
But isn't that what some of us have been saying? We don't have the assets to win a bidding war.

Maybe another Jeannot trade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad