GDT: 2/17/16 @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Why wasn't it even a penalty at the time with the ref right there? Total bs bush league move by Yandle.

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
Yandle question?

Is the NHL like the NFL? Meaning can they look in to that hit "after the fact" and assign disciple/fine anything?

It's the morning after and I am stilled PO'd about that hit!!

And I HATE how the announcers push it under the rug and hardly talked about it.

stefa

Jul 10, 2013
Pos that shows no respect for other players. Game is over you suck get over it instead of trying to hurt opponents best players. Really hoping atleast a fine to remind everyone you can't do that ****. Glad Panarin didn't get McDavided.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Thoughts...:sarcasm:

Gus - seems to be regressing not improving
Hino - stupid penalty (double minor end of 2nd) ... not ready for prime time
Desi - very handy forward to have
Breadman - that kid is pretty good
Danault - win a Face off kid ... has shown no offense upside ... Im dissapointed - really like him
AA - I like him but he leaves me wanting more ... needs to turn it up a notch

Good win on Broadway

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Danault - win a Face off kid ... has shown no offense upside ... Im dissapointed - really like him

Good win on Broadway

Gus - seems to be regressing not improving-- Had a poor game. Stalberg schooled him on the boards to allow the first Ranger goal. He'll be fine, but he's a rookie dman. It won't happen overnight.
Hino - stupid penalty (double minor end of 2nd) ... not ready for prime time -- it was an accidental high stick that could have happened to anyone.
Desi - very handy forward to have -- indeed. Nice finish on the TT pass.
Breadman - that kid is pretty good -- yep
Danault - win a Face off kid ... has shown no offense upside ... Im dissapointed - really like him -- face-offs are a problem with everyone but 19. Other than that, his play has been fine.
AA - I like him but he leaves me wanting more ... needs to turn it up a notch -- disagree. Solid center who plays both sides of the puck and PK's to boot.

Good win on Broadway.-- yes it was. Nothing much to complain about when we get good finishes from 11 and 65 in the same game.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Funny - the Rags thread, the NY Post and others are all complaining about the refs. I watch a lot of hockey. I see a lot of bad calls. Frankly, I don't think the Hawks refs got anything wrong last night. If anything, they missed a couple AGAINST the Rags - specifically, there was a blatant cross check on Shaw after the Toews penalty late. Could have, and should have, easily been a 5 on 3 for the Hawks.

Of course, the cheap play by Yandle (but the game was over). By my count, that's 2 whistles the refs swallowed.

The overturned goal? No brainer. Per the rule, it was clear goalie interference.

Besides, the penalty called on Hino - the right call - resulted in two goals for NY and the lead in the 3rd.

Two teams with bad PKs allowed 5 goals. 5 PP goals.

That's the story of the game, not refs.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015

Good win on Broadway

Gus - he's had a bad 3-4 games of recent. Very rough game last night - on D and on the PP. Wondering if the grind of the season and travel schedule is catching up. Keep in mind, the schedule is harder now against better teams so maybe that's the reason.

Hino - my gut is in he's in Rockford by noon. Question is, who is next? The fact that Dano can't get up is disappointing - especially with the hole at LW on the first.

Desi - he's not a finisher. If he was, he'd be a more valuable player in the NHL. That said, I love his scrappy game. He's all energizer bunny and always in the mix. I like that.

Breadman - he was a a little too fancy with the puck in the first and second, but man, outside of Kane, is there a more exciting player in the NHL to watch? Hawks are VERY VERY fortunate that the epic cheap shot by Yandle didn't end his season.

Danault - not impressed. Just a guy. Doesn't make an impact. His inability to win face offs is a MAJOR issue. You don't expect a ton from the third line and do realize a lot of his FO are d zone, but as a C in the NHL, you have to win face-offs. He isn't. The other night, Foley said he was 7 for his last 40. That's embarrassing.

AA - I like his overall game, but I'm hoping there is that next gear. If there isn't I'm fine with it. His work in front of the net doesn't hit the stats sheet, but I'd bet it's been part of at least 12 of the 88/72 goals this season. His screen of Lunq on the first Panarin goal was THE key. Lunq was completely lost and blinded. Art form to play back to the goalie screening, but not interfere with the new rules. He needs to get better at the dot too.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I agree BUT you get a game for any fight with that little time remaining if I am not mistaken.

There was still what 30 seconds on the clock? After Pan got hit, not one Hawks player even verbally undressed Yandle. They just let him skate away.

I'm not for the old school goon crap, but I would like some sort of something.

Maybe we'd have 'enforcer' Bollig start a fight - and lose. :)

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
There was still what 30 seconds on the clock? After Pan got hit, not one Hawks player even verbally undressed Yandle. They just let him skate away.

I'm not for the old school goon crap, but I would like some sort of something.

Maybe we'd have 'enforcer' Bollig start a fight - and lose. :)

Look who was on the ice, no anyone who fights and they all went to Panarin right away. I don't think it is worth it to risk a suspension at that point. Next time we play the Rangers some thing could happen.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Why wasn't it even a penalty at the time with the ref right there? Total bs bush league move by Yandle.

If the NHL and Quintal are serious about player safety, then the league must take action. There's zero place for this sort of crap in the NHL.

The Hawks (and the NHL) are VERY fortunate that Panarin didn't suffer a season ending injury on a total cheap shot. If you re-watch, the slash occurs when the puck is IN the net.

Minimum 2 game suspension to send a message about TRUE player safety.

The Rangers aren't a Stanley Cup team, so the reality is the Hawks won't get a chance to repay him until next season.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If the NHL and Quintal are serious about player safety, then the league must take action. There's zero place for this sort of crap in the NHL.

The Hawks (and the NHL) are VERY fortunate that Panarin didn't suffer a season ending injury on a total cheap shot. If you re-watch, the slash occurs when the puck is IN the net.

Minimum 2 game suspension to send a message about TRUE player safety.

The Rangers aren't a Stanley Cup team, so the reality is the Hawks won't get a chance to repay him until next season.

Still mad about the Yandle hit.

It would be a mistake to sweep this incident under the rug. The game was essentially over and clearly Yandle was attempting to injure.

There should be no excuses from Yandle for the cheap shot nor from the NHL if they don't react with at least a fine - I'd prefer a 1 game suspension (minimum) on top of a fine.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Gus - seems to be regressing not improving-- Had a poor game. Stalberg schooled him on the boards to allow the first Ranger goal. He'll be fine, but he's a rookie dman. It won't happen overnight.
Hino - stupid penalty (double minor end of 2nd) ... not ready for prime time -- it was an accidental high stick that could have happened to anyone.
Danault - win a Face off kid ... has shown no offense upside ... Im dissapointed - really like him -- face-offs are a problem with everyone but 19. Other than that, his play has been fine.
AA - I like him but he leaves me wanting more ... needs to turn it up a notch -- disagree. Solid center who plays both sides of the puck and PK's to boot.

Good win on Broadway.-- yes it was. Nothing much to complain about when we get good finishes from 11 and 65 in the same game.
AA has been awesome--especially going to the net and trying to screen. Danault? Let's not forget that Kruger his rookie season couldn't win a faceoff to save his life. Hino's penalty was nearly a backbreaker, but you're right, it happens. I thought the PK could have been a bit tighter but hell, we came back.

Happy about the result.
Funny - the Rags thread, the NY Post and others are all complaining about the refs. I watch a lot of hockey. I see a lot of bad calls. Frankly, I don't think the Hawks refs got anything wrong last night. If anything, they missed a couple AGAINST the Rags - specifically, there was a blatant cross check on Shaw after the Toews penalty late. Could have, and should have, easily been a 5 on 3 for the Hawks.

Of course, the cheap play by Yandle (but the game was over). By my count, that's 2 whistles the refs swallowed.

The overturned goal? No brainer. Per the rule, it was clear goalie interference.

Besides, the penalty called on Hino - the right call - resulted in two goals for NY and the lead in the 3rd.

Two teams with bad PKs allowed 5 goals. 5 PP goals.

That's the story of the game, not refs.
As for the no-goal, yeah. *That* was clear cut GI. Wasn't pushed into Crawford, skated through and caught Crawford's pad, pulling him away from the puck. No minor, but goal should have been negated.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

I don't think you will get many people to agree with that assessment. Next to Caps, perhaps TB, NYR are right there in the East. With Lunqvist in net they can do a lot of damage in tight checking PO hockey.

This game was a good barometer for the Hawk team, and something they can build on as crunch time approaches.

JackStrawMan

Jun 26, 2015
Chicago, IL

Couldn't agree more on AA, with my friends I mentioned how although he wasn't on the scoresheet, on Panarins 2 regular goals he was just just as big of a reason for the goal than anyone assisting. Other than Panarin I bet if you Lundquvist is remembering AA as much as anyone from last night.

Guys value is everywhere, can't believe how great he has fit in and worked out here.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
A couple things I noticed ...

1. Ranger fans are annoying ... including my friends. I already knew it, but yesterday was worse than before. They are a cross between the Yankees and Knicks. Fans with a serious chip on their shoulder, but also with a sense of entitlement. But even then, Ranger fans are 20x better than Flyer and Bruin fans. Hades couldn't be hot enough for them.

2. Our checking line should be paying us to wtach them. Hino - Ras - Mash are a disaster. We need to throw Desi back to the 4th with Panik ... and hopefully Kruger for the playoffs.

3. TT and Shaw work well together. Denault is fine. That third line would be effective in the playoffs.

4. In order to move Shaw and Desi down on the depth chart, we desperately need to find a 2LW. Tell us something that we don't know. Toews is languishing trying to keep everything together for his linemates. He needs more help. But Jonathan Toews is still the man. Even opposing fans marvel at the little things he does.

5. Rozy forgot to his nap yesterday. He looked old last night. We need him to play better.

6. Gus ... you can tell he's far comfortable with the puck than backing up on defense. The talent is there ... but he needs more time and experience.

The resilience of the Hawks is amazing. They were dominated from mid 2nd to early 3rd period. But when they went down a goal, something clicked ... ON THE ROAD. It's like they have an extra gear when they need it. Sort of like when the Fast and Furious guys push for nitrous. It was amazing.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't think you will get many people to agree with that assessment. Next to Caps, perhaps TB, NYR are right there in the East. With Lunqvist in net they can do a lot of damage in tight checking PO hockey.

This game was a good barometer for the Hawk team, and something they can build on as crunch time approaches.

Not to mention, they kept up with us all night without their best player and one of their top Dmen.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
If there were to be a fine or suspension we would have heard about it by now right?

In the NFL, it's not mandatory that fines are made public. Some of them go under the radar. I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL has a similar policy.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015

Lundqvist is 11th in GA and 12th in save percentage. While a very good goalie, I think all of the 'King Henrik' stuff is just overblown.

NYR are 23rd in PP%. 29th in PK%. To me, that means they aren't a Stanley Cup team. One of those, if not both, will come back to bite then in the arse come playoff time. They are missing a piece.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
It's working for now, but I'm getting increasingly uncomfortable with the team relying on goaltending, shooting percentage and powerplays to save them from getting caved in 5v5 every night.

Obviously, given this team's history, I believe they can and will play better when the games start to matter. I'm willing to accept the idea that it's better coast and conserve energy, but man it's weird to watch this team play like this.

And for the love of god NO MORE SEABROOK AND TVR. STOP IT, Q!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad