GDT: 2/17/16 @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Perhaps some Hawk fans think it is humorous the way Q overplays CC. I don't, and I have never understood why Q does these things. Crawford is having a career year and fingers crossed that he can continue his stellar play - but I'm also hoping Q is smart enough to get Darling more starts down the stretch to keep in some kind of game shape. The way it stands now, he gets the odd game and must rely mostly on morning skates with the occasional full practice to keep ready if called upon.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
He is the back up so getting two in a row is not really in the cards.

I could see them alternating more down the stretch.

Yeah, I understand that. But, I feel like Q has been more reasonable in the past with playing the backups?
At least with Ray he was.
Though, I guess, at the time Corey hadn't reached the level he is currently playing at.
But we are in PO position, there are a few days off coming up. This isn't a must-win, let Scott have it.

Didn't he get a SO against the Rags last year?

stefa

Jul 10, 2013
It was last year when Richards scored the only goal in a game when I thought this team might just go all the way. Don't know why but there was something in that game. Hopefully this feeling comes again this year. It was game 70 and its 61 so close enough.

Oh last 10 games L W L W W W L L L W so most def a win tonight and the 3rd one comes naturally against the min boring.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Yeah, I understand that. But, I feel like Q has been more reasonable in the past with playing the backups?
At least with Ray he was.
Though, I guess, at the time Corey hadn't reached the level he is currently playing at.
But we are in PO position, there are a few days off coming up. This isn't a must-win, let Scott have it.

Didn't he get a SO against the Rags last year?

Crow was much less consistent that year than he was they Ray year you are talking about. We have bigger gaps in time off so you don't want Crow sitting for too long. There is a fine line to this.

BHFan

Aug 9, 2015
I don't see why Q wouldn't give Darling at least the opponents who aren't in contention for the playoffs and aren't in the division. That's six games out of the remaining. But two pair are back to back which isn't great to give Crawford that much time off. So cut that down to four. This next string of ten games are against teams that Crawford needs to play

February -- Rangers, Wild, Preds, Caps
March -- Wings, Bruins, Wings, Blues, Stars, Kings, Flyers, Jets, Wild, Stars, Flames, Canucks, Wild
April -- Jets. Bruins, Coyotes, Blues, Blue Jackets

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't see why Q wouldn't give Darling at least the opponents who aren't in contention for the playoffs and aren't in the division. That's six games out of the remaining. But two pair are back to back which isn't great to give Crawford that much time off. So cut that down to four. This next string of ten games are against teams that Crawford needs to play

February -- Rangers, Wild, Preds, Caps
March -- Wings, Bruins, Wings, Blues, Stars, Kings, Flyers, Jets, Wild, Stars, Flames, Canucks, Wild
April -- Jets. Bruins, Coyotes, Blues, Blue Jackets

If Crawford doesn't play tonight, that would be 8 days between games. Probably not ideal for a #1 G.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I get that we need to give Crow more rest and Darling more playing time, but.... we are entering a rare stretch where there aren't really that many games. Including tonight, we have four games in twelve nights. That's plenty of rest for Crow and I don't think him taking a night off tonight was at all necessary or needed.

Things start to pick up again in March, and that's when we can talk about Darling needing to pick up more games. Right now though, let Crow play each of the next four games.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I get that we need to give Crow more rest and Darling more playing time, but.... we are entering a rare stretch where there aren't really that many games. Including tonight, we have four games in twelve nights. That's plenty of rest for Crow and I don't think him taking a night off tonight was at all necessary or needed.

Things start to pick up again in March, and that's when we can talk about Darling needing to pick up more games. Right now though, let Crow play each of the next four games.

I agree. Needs to stay sharp, a game every 3 days is almost too much rest. Darling should have played more to this point, but if he did we may not be where we are in the standings

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I can't imagine Corey wants to miss a game at MSG playing against Lundqvist. MSG and the League wont be happy either if Crow sat out.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
I am a C and not a G, but call me stupid. I don't get the limit on 50's games.

I mean Marty Broduer would play 72 games every year. Fuhr used to play a lot too.

Is playing G harder now than years ago, I don't think so but seriously asking. I mean asking your #1G to play 65 games seems about right to me and not an issue. Over 70 gets into high end old school guys but it's clearly doable. It's not like those #1 guys were playing 72 and not winning Cups. So "tired" is bullcrap and wrong.

I don't know the pace Crow is on, but I don't get the worrying about too many games played for him. I think he has played in 48, not whole games. about 24 games left, i didn't look any of this up. So 48+ say 18 the rest of the way is 65.

So 65 games doesn't seem bad to me. What am I missing?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Maybe the issue is not CC play so many and his excellent year determining him start this game but rather the Lundqvist superiority in wins in the Mano to Mano vs. CC over tge past few years...Maybe Darling could shut them out? Because we probably will not ...Again ...score much on King Henrik tonight...NYR is below 50% in the team possession numbers but they shoot well and if Lundqvist holds us to little they propavly get just enough past CC to win...If he loses again to NYR and Lundqvist it will get into his head and we may never beat them if he starts in net again...So maybe they ought to try a different tack...but they are not..So tge challenge is for CC to shut'out the Rangers ...if not they probably get enough by CC to win.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
While you are all waiting for this game to get going,check out the hatchet job on Seabrook over at tge Comitted Indian where they summarize why he is not a good player despite his scoring and +/- stats ...he is among the worst in the league in several of the possession metrics and almost all our regular lineup players do better in possession without him on the ice as with him on...he is also among the worst in the league in the being on for good scoring chances against ...all the stuff Q is complaining about his team...giving up quality shots ...negative possesion ...etc...Seabrook is a disaster in these areas yet seems to be bailed out by our goalies else more scoring g again st while he is on would tale place..But when you are slow to react...slow to get to loose pucks and awful at clearing attempts ...all judged with thee eyeball test..ir really is no surprise that his relative 0issesion metrics are so blatantly dreadful.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I am a C and not a G, but call me stupid. I don't get the limit on 50's games.

I mean Marty Broduer would play 72 games every year. Fuhr used to play a lot too.

Is playing G harder now than years ago, I don't think so but seriously asking. I mean asking your #1G to play 65 games seems about right to me and not an issue. Over 70 gets into high end old school guys but it's clearly doable. It's not like those #1 guys were playing 72 and not winning Cups. So "tired" is bullcrap and wrong.

I don't know the pace Crow is on, but I don't get the worrying about too many games played for him. I think he has played in 48, not whole games. about 24 games left, i didn't look any of this up. So 48+ say 18 the rest of the way is 65.

So 65 games doesn't seem bad to me. What am I missing?

The playoffs. The number of consecutive starts in post season can easily exceed 20.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
If Darling sees any time in the playoffs something has gone pretty bad.

I'm one of the first people to get on Q, but Crow is in great form and hasn't shown fatigue. This isn't Thibault getting ran into the ground because we need him standing on his head to be competitive.

I don't expect Crow to lose his job anytime soon.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If Darling sees any time in the playoffs something has gone pretty bad.

I'm one of the first people to get on Q, but Crow is in great form and hasn't shown fatigue. This isn't Thibault getting ran into the ground because we need him standing on his head to be competitive.

I don't expect Crow to lose his job anytime soon.

You mean like the 2015 playoffs where Hawks won the SC (after an auspicious start by the number one goaltender)? It happens. The trick is to be prepared.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Right, but a handful of games months prior isn't going to change much.

Q had the luxury of having a back-up goaltender who was ready to take the reins thanks to the fact that Darling had played quality minutes in RFD. This time around Q needs to look at the big picture in preparing his team for the post season war (at every position).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad